Thread: EBAY Ettiquite?

EBAY Ettiquite?

So I just got a new EBAY account to get myself an ML Blob figure. I found 3 auctions in the price range I wanted.

One seller was asking $5.99 for shipping, the other was $10.99 and the other I had to contact. So I went ahead and messaged him, though it seems I accidentally bid on his auction (since I had multiple windows open), but I was outbid, so I didn't worry about it. He contacts me and says shipping is $32.99!

I was like no way. To me, he is obviously gouging on the shipping to make more money. Whats worse it I just noticed the person who outbid me retracted their bid, which to me seems suspicious. I went to the EBAY help page and I saw a note on 'shill bidding'. Do you think that is what this guy is doing?

I really don't care if it reflects on me as a negative. I can simply close my account or use a friends if I really want to get this figure. I just don't want to get screwed by some ******** who thinks he can skim an extra freaking $22 off the top for overcharging in shipping and I really feel like this is what he is doing.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 5, 2010 at 12:53am.

Retract your bid. Say it was an accident. Your allowed to do this a few times. Heck the guy before you did it. If you must you could say he was gouging on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Retract your bid. Say it was an accident. Your allowed to do this a few times. Heck the guy before you did it. If you must you could say he was gouging on shipping.
    Okay, well since my reason wasn't in the options, I contacted him to let him know I wish to recend my offer. Even if he offers to change the shipping, I don't want to deal with him. I'm simply going to get it elsewhere.

I just with someone here at the org had one. I think I'd feel more comfortable. I was already ripped off once on ebay by that w8_lifter guy that screwed a couple orgers. I don't want it to happen again.

Nice to see you're still hanging around.

Well you have to actually file the bid retraction using the ebay form, if you just tell him about it youll end up with a non paying bidder strike.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Well you have to actually file the bid retraction using the ebay form, if you just tell him about it youll end up with a non paying bidder strike.

I just did it. The reason I chose was 'entered wrong amount', I really don't care. I just have a feeling like this guy is full of it.

Heroic Warrior Grayskulls Fakor's Avatar
    Yea once I bought a prince Adam from the w8_lifter on the bay and he never shipped it I feel ya there.

There used to be an option for reporting that kind of thing to eBay. Sellers are not allowed to charge an excessive amount for shipping.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Sellers are not allowed to charge an excessive amount for shipping.
    i think sellers should be able to charge what ever they want. if the price of a product or shipping price is too much then don't bid. if some bozo agrees to pay 30 bucks to have a sticker sent, that is on the him.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Yeah I don't think sellers shipping prices are regulated at all. As far as I can see, not over charging for shipping is just a manner of being nice or not.

Anyway, I successfully retracted my bid. His auction went back to 99 cents. I have a feeling that his other retracted bid was just him/a fake account attempting to drive up the value, then when he realized no one was biting, he retracted. Heh. What a ****.

I'm glad that you got it taken care of so that you did not get screwed over by this tool.
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MANGLORD View Post
    i think sellers should be able to charge what ever they want. if the price of a product or shipping price is too much then don't bid. if some bozo agrees to pay 30 bucks to have a sticker sent, that is on the him.
    But if I am reading Sky Breaker's original post correctly, a lower shipping price was displayed on the auction, itself, then he contacted the seller who suddenly wanted $32.99 for shipping alone.

It's one thing for the sellers to charge what they want to for shipping, but if they post the shipping cost in the auction, then the cost shouldn't suddenly go up by an additional 200% over that displayed cost.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    So I just got a new EBAY account to get myself an ML Blob figure. I found 3 auctions in the price range I wanted.

One seller was asking $5.99 for shipping, the other was $10.99 and the other I had to contact. So I went ahead and messaged him, though it seems I accidentally bid on his auction (since I had multiple windows open), but I was outbid, so I didn't worry about it. He contacts me and says shipping is $32.99!
    I was like no way. To me, he is obviously gouging on the shipping to make more money. Whats worse it I just noticed the person who outbid me retracted their bid, which to me seems suspicious. I went to the EBAY help page and I saw a note on 'shill bidding'. Do you think that is what this guy is doing?

I really don't care if it reflects on me as a negative. I can simply close my account or use a friends if I really want to get this figure. I just don't want to get screwed by some ******** who thinks he can skim an extra freaking $22 off the top for overcharging in shipping and I really feel like this is what he is doing.
    The answer is bold and italicised(spelling).

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    But if I am reading Sky Breaker's original post correctly, a lower shipping price was displayed on the auction, itself, then he contacted the seller who suddenly wanted $32.99 for shipping alone.

It's one thing for the sellers to charge what they want to for shipping, but if they post the shipping cost in the auction, then the cost shouldn't suddenly go up by an additional 200% over that displayed cost.
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Ah, nevermind. I misread it. At first I thought he was contacting the $10.99 seller who then suddenly jumped the price up. Instead it was a separate seller entirely. My bad!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

i agree it should not go up, that's shady. anyway he got it taken care of, so that is good news.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Just the other week I asked about the shipping on a Jitsu MOC.
    The following is the sellers exact answer;

'Hi, if i get a good price i will only charge you actual price for P & P. Good luck!

Regards, Bev'

Hell, I couldn't help but laugh, and forget about the auction!
    Who knows what she'd have charged me?!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Sellers have to be able to justify their shipping costs. eBay does not allow sellers to charge an arm and a leg just because they feel they have a right to.

If someone states a shipping cost in their auction and then tries to gouge you at checkout, you need to contact eBay. Always be sure to find out shipping costs before you bid!

eBay Shipping and Handling Costs
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Yeah I don't think sellers shipping prices are regulated at all. As far as I can see, not over charging for shipping is just a manner of being nice or not.

Anyway, I successfully retracted my bid. His auction went back to 99 cents. I have a feeling that his other retracted bid was just him/a fake account attempting to drive up the value, then when he realized no one was biting, he retracted. Heh. What a ****.
    I have been an eBay member for more than 10 years, and I know for a fact that eBay is definitely concerned about sellers who overcharge for shipping.

The primary reason eBay is concerned is, excessive shipping fees cuts into eBay's *profits*. eBay takes a percentage of an auction's selling price, but not a portion of the shipping fee. If I were to list a MOTUC He-man figure for "buy it now" $1.00 and charge $40.00 to ship it, that's what is called circumventing eBay fees. It's a violation of eBay policy.

If you are an eBay member and see an auction in which the shipping fee is too high, report the auction. There's a link on each auction page to report the item. The seller will never know who reported him or her, so there's no backlash.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Just the other week I asked about the shipping on a Jitsu MOC.
    The following is the sellers exact answer;

'Hi, if i get a good price i will only charge you actual price for P & P. Good luck!

Regards, Bev'

Hell, I couldn't help but laugh, and forget about the auction!
    Who knows what she'd have charged me?!
    THAT is hilarious! I would be really tempted to write her back and ask what the "good price" is.

In the past few years ebay's fees for sellers have sky rocketed, while sellers rights have diminished. For example...a seller can no longer leave a negative feedback for a buyer NO MATTER WHAT. Yet, if a buyer leaves a neutral feedback for a seller, it gets tallied up as a negative feedback against the seller. Ebay has changed a lot in recent years.

Now, as a seller, I never pad up the shipping costs. I'll even refund a buyer if I charged them more that what the actuall shipping cost is. Sometimes I'll offer free shipping on a big ticket item, in an attempt to intice the buyer. I know that shipping cost plays a big role when someone is deciding weather to by your item or someone else's. However, with the rise in ebay and Paypal fees, a seller has to do something to make it back. It's up to the buyer to know this and steer clear of scams.

The seller in the original post sound like a rip off artist. He is purposely leaving the shipping amount out of the listing, so that he can fly under the radar. I would report him.
    STILL A KID AT HEART.

Just to clarify no he did not change the shipping. He was rather polite in his message to me. He explained that the price is according to what the US Postal Service quoted.

I just don't get how Seller A can offer it for $5.99, Seller B for $10.99 and then this guy is $32.99, in the same country.

To that woman who said that to you about the pricing and how it depends on what her auction goes for, you should forward this to EBAY, not that it would really do anything.

Yeah, I know the seller didn't change the shipping amount. He just left it out of the listing all together. If you read the original post, you'll see.....the original poster said that he had to contact the seller for a price quote on shipping, and was quoted $32.99. The seller leaves the shipping cost out of the auction, and ebay dosen't have a clue that he's screwing them. This guy is flying under ebay's radar by doing this.

As far as the woman saying that the price of shipping would depend on what the item sold for, I don't think she knows that she's doing something wrong. She probably just figures that if she makes more money, she'll charge less for shipping. She probably feel she's doing the seller a favor. However, it's not logical to tell a buyer that, but she might not know any better. Sometimes I do something similar (but legal) with my auctions. If I want to sell a item quick or make a couple of bucks, I'll offer free shipping with "buy it now".
    STILL A KID AT HEART.

Action Figure Arms Dealer roboticplanet's Avatar
    I just don't get how Seller A can offer it for $5.99, Seller B for $10.99 and then this guy is $32.99, in the same country.
    Was the item shipping from Canada or the US?

If it was Canada, then yeah, the dude is a jerk. If he's from the US, then seller B is protecting himself from Paypal fraud by charging for either USPS Priority or EMS, which are trackable. Paypal requires tracking on all packages. Should a fraudulent non-receipt claim is made by a crooked buyer, if there's no tracking, as is the case with Int'l First Class shipping, the buyer automatically wins the dispute. The seller has zero recourse in the matter.

I found all that out the hard ways years ago

Quote Originally Posted by roboticplanet View Post
    Was the item shipping from Canada or the US?

If it was Canada, then yeah, the dude is a jerk. If he's from the US, then seller B is protecting himself from Paypal fraud by charging for either USPS Priority or EMS, which are trackable. Paypal requires tracking on all packages. Should a fraudulent non-receipt claim is made by a crooked buyer, if there's no tracking, as is the case with Int'l First Class shipping, the buyer automatically wins the dispute. The seller has zero recourse in the matter.

I found all that out the hard ways years ago
    It is shipping from the US to Canada. He was quoting USPS Priority.

It really shouldn't surprise me, and I really shouldn't be this upset. I would just like the silly figure. I haven't bought myself an action figure in a year and I've avoided EBAY since being scammed by w8_lifter. It figures that as soon as I get back on, I find a seller I just can't trust not be to be a ****.

The thing that annoys me the most is that I would have gladly paid to collect the whole line and put The Blob together myself, however the character selection for The Blob wave completely sucked. Groan!
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 6, 2010 at 11:51am.

It is shipping from the US to Canada. He was quoting USPS Priority.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and although his shipping quote to you may be a bit high, Shipping an item that size via Priority to Canada would in fact be in the $25 range so he's not "gouging" you to the extent that it may seem. It's more then it should, but not by a whole hell of a lot.

The other auctions were probably sending via First Class which would count for the difference price.

Also....it's tough to say what size box he planned on sending it in. This was the Blob BAF correct, and not carded? I suppose he could of just stuck it in a Priority #4 Box which is Really tiny, thus a bit less in shipping...but who knows.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; February 7, 2010 at 11:13pm.

Proper eBay etiquette is to look for the cost of shipping before bidding. If shipping is not listed, you really should contact the seller before bidding. There are alot of sellers who don't place shipping on the listing and although I think it is wrong it's still their right until eBay changes it's policies. You should report him, however, for charging $32.99. I've ordered item's from Asia and paid far less than that.

As a very active eBay buyer/seller I have to disagree with you on this statement. This is the exact reason why I remove bids from buyers with little or no feedback. Usually I ask buyers to send me a message before bidding if they have less than 5 or ANY negatives in the last month. I definitely wouldn't sell to someone who's feedback is less than zero (which is what yours would have been if you had won the auction and chose not to pay).

eBay is very much a community just as He-Man.org is a community. I wouldn't want a strike against me just starting out. This type of attitude from buyers who don't get the facts first or who have buyer's remorse is part of the reason why listing fees and PayPal fees are so high.

Maybe it is a good idea for you to close your account.