Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happened??

What Happened??

Is it just me or is that SOME of the newer people that registered and post here don't have the same mind set that alot of the older fan's that have been on this site for a couple of years?

They use this site to sell their figures etc. and don't really post or be part of the community or if they ask a question about any subject when someone mentions something that they don't like they get angry without realizing that that person is trying to help them... or totallly tick you off and don't care why they did it...

The point is that we are seeing a trend not just here but on other sites about people that are not real "Fans" but are bandwagon jumpers and when you try and help them they are rude,flaming,pushy,arrogant jerks.

When I first came here I didn't act that way....

there are just some people who u bump into that just arent the best posters weather they r good or not, i personally dont think it has to be w new or old ones i just think its the person if they wanna be active or just take advantage of a forum
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

For the most part, we are all very fortunate. We've built a great community here with some long-time friendships. There are people still here from way back when I used to post regularly eight years ago! If I were you I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about a few people that are short on manners, but I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    When I first came here I didn't act that way....
    People before you came acted the same way and after you will act the same way.

I have been on the net since around 1994, I have seen all the incarnations (mail list, newsgroups, free forums, paid forums, now social networking) and it goes in cycles.

This site saw the same influx when the MYP series was hot. You always have members who just want to use it for business and really have no love for the license, I do not begrudge them membership. The ones who are pushy may be new to this kind of environment, everyone has to learn (and if they do not trust me they will get shunned and earn a reputation) somehow.

People saying they want the site to go back to some mythical way it was are using some kind of selective memory and nostalgia that is only in their view of how things should be.

It is true there are groups that had closer ties years ago compared to now, COTU for example.

I fondly remember the Cartoon Marketplace where BigDaddy51200, Sir Bushnell and myself tried to provide the best fan made series sets on DVD when Loreal/Hallmark refused to even air the show in the US.

Times change, people change, but no fundamental shift has happened
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Well, I'm new here, but I belong to a few on line forums. I am even a moderator on a guitar forum. It seems that all of the forums I belong to are pretty similar. You get your influx of newbies asking newbie questions. On the guitar forums you get people who join, post one time asking what their guitar is worth, then they move on. Then you get the childish web surfers who are just looking to get a rise out of the members by being disrespectful. It's a shame that people have such limited social skills.

I have a few questions that I'd like to post, but I doing my best to find the answers on my own. This site is loaded with info, and the search function works quite well. I've noticed that this forum has been around for quite a while. Some of you guys have thousands upon thousands of posts. It looks like I'm gonna be a newbie for a very long time.
    STILL A KID AT HEART.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I fondly remember the Cartoon Marketplace where BigDaddy51200, Sir Bushnell and myself tried to provide the best fan made series sets on DVD when Loreal/Hallmark refused to even air the show in the US.
    Yep you guys sure did, I still have those sets. It is a new age people belive they have a right to be rude and plain stupid because they are online, and at a keyboard, people like those on 4chan. I rarely post anywhere anymore except here and even that is diminshing quickly f or me. Maybe since I too have been on the "net" for a long long long time it has just woirn out to me.

I don't know how many forums you visit, but this place is pretty tame and inviting compared to most of them out there. Maybe your expectations are too high or you just get offended easily. I do know from personal experience that you got so furious with me awhile back that a mod had to intervene and to this day I don't understand what the catalyst for that was. For the record, that was the only altercation with a forum member that I've ever had here in the year and a half that I've been posting.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heman4myson View Post
    Yep you guys sure did, I still have those sets. It is a new age people belive they have a right to be rude and plain stupid because they are online, and at a keyboard, people like those on 4chan. I rarely post anywhere anymore except here and even that is diminshing quickly f or me. Maybe since I too have been on the "net" for a long long long time it has just woirn out to me.
    Yea I still got mine and I never bought the real ones when they came out.

There has been a huge infux of users since King Grayskull came out. But your right when the MYP came out it wa the same thing. I was just so stupid I couldnt figure out how to register to become a member untill i did.

Some of the users are alittle rude at times but this forum is very very PG. So its tuff to cope sometimes. I throw in a curse word by accident every so often and the PM pops up that Im in trouble. I dont mean to be a jerk its the way I talk so it somes out in my fingers when I type. But I wouldnt be rude to anyone. If I see a potenial promblem now I just go some where else.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I go on many...And I don't get offended easy some people do and don't know when to let go of things...That's the problem (And don't know how to act)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't know how many forums you visit, but this place is pretty tame and inviting compared to most of them out there. Maybe your expectations are too high or you just get offended easily. .

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I throw in a curse word by accident every so often and the PM pops up that Im in trouble. I dont mean to be a jerk its the way I talk so it somes out in my fingers when I type. But I wouldnt be rude to anyone. If I see a potenial promblem now I just go some where else.
    I haven't had any problems with the mods for quite awhile(I think I finally have a hang of what I can & can't say), but everytime I get a PM, I immediately feel like I'm being called into the principal's office.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Court Magician

Interesting...

I'm a lurker here...do some deals here and there, not much on this site.

However, I can't imagine that this sort of attitude lends to the longevity of any website. If you aren't willing to embrace the newer members, or at least the good ones, eventually the site will die off and you'll be left with ten people posting stuff about how cool the website used to be when people came here.

I would think it's the mission of the older members to make the new members feel welcome, so they become the regulars and the older members.

Hmmmmmm...take for example teenagers. Teenagers can be pains. If all of the 30 and 40 year old people in the world decided they were going to stop having children because their pains, humanity would end. There would be no children and teenagers to become the 30 and 40 year olds. Same case on sites. If you don't work with the newer pains, there won't be anyone left to become older pains.

I think this thread is kind of nonsense now that I'm reading it...

etmartin

Quote Originally Posted by etmartin View Post
    I'm a lurker here...do some deals here and there, not much on this site.

However, I can't imagine that this sort of attitude lends to the longevity of any website. If you aren't willing to embrace the newer members, or at least the good ones, eventually the site will die off and you'll be left with ten people posting stuff about how cool the website used to be when people came here.

I would think it's the mission of the older members to make the new members feel welcome, so they become the regulars and the older members.

Hmmmmmm...take for example teenagers. Teenagers can be pains. If all of the 30 and 40 year old people in the world decided they were going to stop having children because their pains, humanity would end. There would be no children and teenagers to become the 30 and 40 year olds. Same case on sites. If you don't work with the newer pains, there won't be anyone left to become older pains.

I think this thread is kind of nonsense now that I'm reading it...

etmartin
    As long as you're not a teenager, welcome!

Since it's hard to detect sarcasm on the internet, I'm just kidding. I agree that if newer(ie. younger) fans feel alienated, a property will often die. That seems to be a problem in the comic industry(as well as the fact that the print medium is dying and kids have a lot more options for entertainment than those of us who grew up with the original MOTU toyline ever did). Older readers are often dismissive of the questions or reading habits of newer readers. For the record, I'm not directing this towards the original poster since I feel a lot of us may forget from time to time what it's like to be a new member of something or a collector/fan who is just starting out. We may get so used to our own routine, we often forget to try and make those who are new feel welcome & get acclimated.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; February 6, 2010 at 02:35pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletorn View Post
    Well, I'm new here, but I belong to a few on line forums. I am even a moderator on a guitar forum. It seems that all of the forums I belong to are pretty similar. You get your influx of newbies asking newbie questions. On the guitar forums you get people who join, post one time asking what their guitar is worth, then they move on. Then you get the childish web surfers who are just looking to get a rise out of the members by being disrespectful. It's a shame that people have such limited social skills.

I have a few questions that I'd like to post, but I doing my best to find the answers on my own. This site is loaded with info, and the search function works quite well. I've noticed that this forum has been around for quite a while. Some of you guys have thousands upon thousands of posts. It looks like I'm gonna be a newbie for a very long time.
    Same basic story goes for me. I only found out about forums a few years ago when the Muppets figures from Palisades were introduced. I was so excited to see that there were tons of people who wanted to talk about toys like I did, but I was still a newbee (so much information out there, I probably always will be), so a lot of the long-time members seemed to take longer to warm up to me (completely ignore posts, refuse opposing opinions, etc). I've made some real friends though, hung out, met families, and that's what's cool about places like this; you really get a sense of who the other people are and end up adding to your real-life group of friends.

On a side note: I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even know about NA until about a year ago when I was searching for filmation dvd's on a nostalgic whim. Also was unaware as to the canon from those old mini-comics! * hides *

I like it here, I'm gonna stick around and hopefully join the more story-oriented threads eventually, but for now, my main focus is on getting a great collection of MOTUC going for my Son, with a few for me too, lol.

Cheers He-Man.org Members!

Anthony

I remember one time a guy was complaining about something, and I ever so innocently, and respectfully stated my perfectly legitimate opinion to the contrary, which I have every right to do, and the guy flipped out and sent me PM's full of name calling and threats, all the while accusing me of hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. What's the world coming to?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I go on many...And I don't get offended easy some people do and don't know when to let go of things...That's the problem (And don't know how to act)
    I beg to differ. Sometimes you take things too personally that aren't meant to be taken that way at all, and you blow them out of proportion. You also tend to miss the point of some threads and post responses that show that you missed the point, and when someone points it out and explains the actual point of the thread, you get all upset over it. Don't take things personally that aren't meant to be.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

See two prime examples of why this thread was started..People that can't let things go...Who is missing the point now? (Obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I remember one time a guy was complaining about something, and I ever so innocently, and respectfully stated my perfectly legitimate opinion to the contrary, which I have every right to do, and the guy flipped out and sent me PM's full of name calling and threats, all the while accusing me of hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. What's the world coming to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I beg to differ. Sometimes you take things too personally that aren't meant to be taken that way at all, and you blow them out of proportion. You also tend to miss the point of some threads and post responses that show that you missed the point, and when someone points it out and explains the actual point of the thread, you get all upset over it. Don't take things personally that aren't meant to be.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    See two prime examples of why this thread was started..People that can't let things go...Who is missing the point now? (Obviously)
    Ironically, you are the one missing the point. With all due respect, this post is a prime example of you missing the point of a thread... in this case, very ironically, the point of your own thread which you started.

You were referring to issues with newer members who use this site for short term gain or whatever.. Both Brad2dbone and I have been around here since 2002, roughly 5 years longer than you have been. And both of us are "Real Fans" as you put it. We've been here for a long time and aren't here for some kind of short term personal gain or anything like that. So, in that respect, we are the complete opposite of the people whom you were complaining about in the first place.

Additionally, as Brad2dBone pointed out, when someone contrasts your opinion in a thread, you tend to start PMing them and starting a behind the scenes fight. You did this to me as well. And I know for a fact that these situations were not limited to just the two of us. I know of others who have had the same problems with you.

Someone disagrees with you, and in some cases point out how you are wrong about something, and YOU are the one who takes it personally and blows is out of proportion, often taking it to very personal and confrontational PMs, which is just completely unnecessary. I actually let the previous argument that you and I had go, and up until now had no reason to bring it up again. But you are the one starting up this thread, collectively criticizing the behavior of other members of this forum, when your own behavior is very questionable to start with.

In the nearly 8 years that I've been posting on this forum, while I've had various PMs over the years, and I have disagreed with people on many things, BUT I have NEVER had anyone else PM me in the extremely confrontational manner that you have over ANY topic, let alone something as impersonal and petty as the availability and distribution of Wun-Dar.

You maybe a "real fan" and you may not be here for your own personal financial gain, but you are far more guilty of the type of negative behavior that you are complaining about than most of the people that you are directing this at.

And believe it or not, I'm not saying this to start some kind of new personal fight with you, I'm merely pointing out my observations on the matter. Nothing more, and nothing less.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; February 7, 2010 at 01:40pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    People before you came acted the same way and after you will act the same way.

I have been on the net since around 1994, I have seen all the incarnations (mail list, newsgroups, free forums, paid forums, now social networking) and it goes in cycles.

This site saw the same influx when the MYP series was hot. You always have members who just want to use it for business and really have no love for the license, I do not begrudge them membership. The ones who are pushy may be new to this kind of environment, everyone has to learn (and if they do not trust me they will get shunned and earn a reputation) somehow.

People saying they want the site to go back to some mythical way it was are using some kind of selective memory and nostalgia that is only in their view of how things should be.

It is true there are groups that had closer ties years ago compared to now, COTU for example.

Times change, people change, but no fundamental shift has happened
    I Remember that as well,at one time you used to be the main dvd supplier of the 200X series. I still have the set of 200X and the Filmation series you did Mark!! The community was tighter back then and there were alot of members that aren`t around anymore. The .org had a reputation for being a friendly place but I have noticed this decline in the last year or so since MOTUC He man and Beastman went onsale, even more so with the addition of PoP and NA in MOTUC recently. people attacking each other as of late has me posting way less now, I don`t post my opinion anymore because nobody seems to realize it`s an opinion and they just attack it anyway or you post a valid point and it gets burried by people chatting about things that are way off topic and ruin the threads. I do alot more reading than posting these days. Hopefully these guys go back into the woodwork when most of the MOTU characters been released in MOTUC and the real MOTU, PoP, and NA fans come back.

I'm kinda hoping the future of posts will actually be voice posts.
    Like where they find some way to do sound recording that's ultra low in space, and maybe they cycle out every 30 days and covert to text via a sound-to-text reader.
    (kinda like the chat rooms in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

Crazier things have happened!

I think the benefit to that is what adam03 is pointing out.
    Text is just faceless, blank emotionless stuff.
    Smileys are there to help us indicate our mood and delivery the best we can.
    But there's still room for misinterpretation.

I have yet to meet a fan in person who wasn't nice, yet sometimes on the forum they came across as jerks.

So if we could hear how the person meant what they were saying, I think that would eliminate 99% of the confusion.

QFT You guys are on the mark...Maybe one day it will go back to the way it was and to the point of someone "Missing" a point if you have to spend 10-15 minutes posting why that person is "wrong" then your missing the point.Don't people realize when you lay someone out and "think" that what your doing is "right" is actually either slamming them or getting other people to pile on...But JVS3 and adam03 are right...texting is faceless and makes people "empowered" or make them "Wants to fight guy" because they have to keep hammering their opinions on people...Enough! If you were talking face to face with someone you know they would either cut you off or walk away because you would sound like a broken record..discussions are discussions and baiting is baiting...End of story....And for once look at yourself instead of ALWAYS blaming the other person because YOU could be the one that's wrong... But since I said that I'm going to probably get the same 2-3 people that had to rebut and continue this but to what's the use? Move On!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I Remember that as well,at one time you used to be the main dvd supplier of the 200X series. I still have the set of 200X and the Filmation series you did Mark!! The community was tighter back then and there were alot of members that aren`t around anymore. The .org had a reputation for being a friendly place but I have noticed this decline in the last year or so since MOTUC He man and Beastman went onsale, even more so with the addition of PoP and NA in MOTUC recently. people attacking each other as of late has me posting way less now, I don`t post my opinion anymore because nobody seems to realize it`s an opinion and they just attack it anyway or you post a valid point and it gets burried by people chatting about things that are way off topic and ruin the threads. I do alot more reading than posting these days. Hopefully these guys go back into the woodwork when most of the MOTU characters been released in MOTUC and the real MOTU, PoP, and NA fans come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm kinda hoping the future of posts will actually be voice posts.
    Like where they find some way to do sound recording that's ultra low in space, and maybe they cycle out every 30 days and covert to text via a sound-to-text reader.
    (kinda like the chat rooms in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

Crazier things have happened!

I think the benefit to that is what adam03 is pointing out.
    Text is just faceless, blank emotionless stuff.
    Smileys are there to help us indicate our mood and delivery the best we can.
    But there's still room for misinterpretation.

I have yet to meet a fan in person who wasn't nice, yet sometimes on the forum they came across as jerks.

So if we could hear how the person meant what they were saying, I think that would eliminate 99% of the confusion.
    Last edited by Megalodon; February 7, 2010 at 03:52pm.

when someone contrasts your opinion in a thread, you tend to start PMing them and starting a behind the scenes fight. You did this to me as well. And I know for a fact that these situations were not limited to just the two of us. I know of others who have had the same problems with you.
    Exactly. Antagonizing someone and stating opinions to the contrary are very different things. Some people can't tell the difference. These people should stop pointing fingers and take a look in the mirror.

Additionally, as Brad2dBone pointed out, when someone contrasts your opinion in a thread, you tend to start PMing them and starting a behind the scenes fight. You did this to me as well. And I know for a fact that these situations were not limited to just the two of us. I know of others who have had the same problems with you.
    I'm happy I'm not alone in this. When that happened to me, I didn't know what to think. I was just happy my address and phone number weren't listed on my He-Man.org profile.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Master of New Adventures!
    I will come to Megalodon's defense here. I will confess I've had little interaction with him, but in one instance where he asked a simple question in the NA forum it was misconstrued as being a slam and got a pretty hard post in return.

This, of course, is the problem with the written word as opposed to the spoken word -- it's sometimes difficult to understand the inflections and intent. And sometimes when those of us who tend to be quite passionate and (on occasion) zealous leave posts it can understandably be interpretted as being hard-headed. But others times, just because we are passionate and zealous, some on the Board are loaded for bear whenever those passionate and zealous orgers leave a post and they sometimes react in a knee jerk manner that I don't think is fair. It's been my experience that even those who are passionate and zealous (myself included) will often understand that they've pushed the envelope a bit too far in their posts and will offer an apology if it's pointed out to them in the civil manner rather than a blazing one. I've seen that happen in a couple of cases, including ones in which I've been involved with and, I'm happy to say, in several instances the result has been that those I originally seemed to have problems with and from, I ended up being friends with and sharing mutual respect with. (And you know who you are! )

As I've said in other posts, I appreciate the passion here and I think it's important that we all realize we're united by a common love for HE-MAN. We can disagree amongst ourselves and at times it can get pretty heated, but most of the time it's coming from our shared love of HE-MAN. We are, however, united by that very love. I think if any turtle-loving dude would dare come in here and start seriously dissing HE-MAN we'd see a totally united front from orgers that would soon make turtle soup out of the offending interloper.

As for newcomers, on balance I think we're all a pretty welcoming bunch. I don't spend as much time as I'd like welcoming new members, but I do when I can and I never come down on them just because they're new and I don't find too many others who have.

There have probably been few newcomers who were as much an open target for hostility than me -- as the creator of The New Adventures of He-man -- when I first came on this board years ago. But even in those pre-BCI NA DVD-release days, I had very few fans who came at me with a hatchet, and a few "NA sucks" and "I hate NA"s were okay (and still are) and expected. But overall I'm delighted that in the years that have passed there have been so many fans open to at least discussing NA, many accepting it as a part of He-man's universe and some even coming to like it.

As I said, if any newcomer was going to be had-at it would have been me and that just didn't happen. So I think we're a pretty welcoming bunch for newcomers.

EDIT: I've read further posts on this matter, and I find it very regrettable to read about the PMs. Although I don't know all the details, I have to say that I do agree that PMing on these sort of matters is completely out of line -- unlike when someone PMs me to say how much they like my writing. The purpose of the board, as I see it, is to have 'sunshine interaction'. We're not talking about spies battling to obtain the schematics for some new doomsday weapon. This is about He-man. So I think, we ought to all keep it in context and have fun with it...and have fun that everyone can share in. And imo fun really can be had from an intelligent interchange of ideas and respectful disagreement.

Btw, JVS3, I think voice posts are a brilliant idea!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 7, 2010 at 04:05pm.

Thanks Jack! But to clear the air on things the Pm's were sent FIRST to me and yes I did send retaliation PM's but that is beyond the point...You know if people would just quit and leave well enough alone it wouldn't happen but as you see here it will not happen...And you know I have dealt with alot of good people and let's see if I get along and know 100 + good one's then the 5-6 one's that have a problem are in the minority so that's what this thread was all about (including some old timers) but like you said why can't people just STOP this knee jerk hate...Why is it that I get the same old thing from them..."This is a bulletin board what do you expect?" etc. etc. etc. when I talk to someone I talk to THAT person who I know might have a different opinion but will not throw some shots in when they are saying sorry etc. I get tired of those two faced people if you had a difference with someone (Months or years ago)why do you have to bring that up over & over & over grow up and let it go....Move on

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I will come to Megalodon's defense here. I will confess I've had little interaction with him, but in one instance where he asked a simple question in the NA forum it was misconstrued as being a slam and got a pretty hard post in return.

EDIT: I've read further posts on this matter, and I find it very regrettable to read about the PMs. Although I don't know all the details, I have to say that I do agree that PMing on these sort of matters is completely out of line -- unlike when someone PMs me to say how much they like my writing. The purpose of the board, as I see it, is to have 'sunshine interaction'. We're not talking about spies battling to obtain the schematics for some new doomsday weapon. This is about He-man. So I think, we ought to all keep it in context and have fun with it...and have fun that everyone can share in. And imo fun really can be had from an intelligent interchange of ideas and respectful disagreement.

Btw, JVS3, I think voice posts are a brilliant idea!

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks Jack! But to clear the air on things the Pm's were sent FIRST to me and yes I did send retaliation PM's but that is beyond the point...You know if people would just quit and leave well enough alone it wouldn't happen but as you see here it will not happen...And you know I have dealt with alot of good people and let's see if I get along and know 100 + good one's then the 5-6 one's that have a problem are in the minority so that's what this thread was all about (including some old timers) but like you said why can't people just STOP this knee jerk hate...Why is it that I get the same old thing from them..."This is a bulletin board what do you expect?" etc. etc. etc. when I talk to someone I talk to THAT person who I know might have a different opinion but will not throw some shots in when they are saying sorry etc. I get tired of those two faced people if you had a difference with someone (Months or years ago)why do you have to bring that up over & over & over grow up and let it go....Move on
    Listen, I don't want to belabor this, but I think it all just gets carried away sometimes by many of us and our priorities can sometimes get out of whack in the heat of the moment.

As I've said in other posts, we're all so incredibly blessed that we can express our opinions without the fear of being dragged off to prison as over a billion people in our world still could be, some of whom are. We're all so incredibly fortunate that -- even though times are tough -- we're going to bed tonight with a roof over our head and without hunger and true abject terror gnawing at us as it does for milllions in Port au Prince who go to sleep this night to a symphony of screams and the endless crying of innocent children. And we're all so incredibly fortunate that our sons or daughters or mothers or fathers or friends aren't one of the 1,500 people who will be dead at sunrise tomorrow morning in Darfur.

Maybe I state the case a bit too emphatically, but I just think we all ought to be grateful to have a place like this board where we can express our opinions freely and enjoy spending time in each other's company -- even the company of those we disagree with -- rather than having to spend that time being worried about the most horrible of horribles that afflict so many others in this world. I just think we ought to be grateful for and understanding of each other and try to find a way to be kind as often as we can. If we don't -- if we're not grateful and understanding and kind -- then isn't that a way of saying that we don't appreciate all that each of us surely has?

Just my opinion.