Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Strobo discussion

I would have put him in the same boat with all those vehicle pilots from the classic box art. I don't know if they take up monthly spots or not, but that's how I'd justify releasing him. If Vikor is any indication, they may just make enough to supply the subs plus about 8 figures to actually go on sale.

As for not having the rights, it's a freaking variant repaint! Is someone really going to sue them for making that figure? My god, they can probably reacquire the rights for a nickel!

At first sight I was thinking no on Strobo, he looks too much like a superhero instead of a MOTU. But when I saw that picture of him with Zodak and another, I changed my mind. I want a core group of cosmic enforcers. But the Horsemen has to make him fit in some how with Zodak and Zodac but without changing him too much where hardcore fans would be upset. As for original figures whenever they get to them, I want a Kilowag version of a Cosmic Enforcer.

Strobo - In classics

Since we now have the torso for Strobo made in Sy-Klone do you think they will make a Strobo for the classics line?

I was wondering if Strobo was a real character or a fan made character. If he is real, then I say they will definitely make him since they already have the Sy-Klone armor. He would make a quick, easy, and cheap figure, which is right up Mattels alley.

Yes please, with working led lights

Subscription Bonus figure alert!
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    sorry guys, don't want to ruin the party, but for what i can recall, strobo is in the "copyright limbo" (but i'm not really sure, however).

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar

Deja vu

http://kittyspryde.forumotion.com/t3...l-for-01-15-11
    3) Do Mattel have the rights to make Strobo a character who appeared in Masters of the Universe issue #16?

Not at this time. Yes, we are aware many of the parts are available between Zodac and Sy-Klone! We expect to see some cool customs online later this year from fans!
    And there we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    And there we go.
    And I'll ask again: WHY?!? Why do they not have the rights to a character appearing in their own publication?
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Warrior
    I guess we got the answer : the only Strobo figures we'll ever see will probably be custom figures.

Yes, there are characters that are in"legal limbo" (Strobo, Mara, Octavia), but it is obvious Mattel doesn't want to even try to explore that "limbo" and see what can be done with it (it's just more convenient and suits Mattel's laziness).

And IF there is hope (but that's a pretty big "if"), I guess Strobo won't come before 2018.

He would be a perfect Sub Exclusive. Obscure, not must have, but the die hards who buy subs would more than appreciate him.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    I'd like a Strobo

Bah! I was hoping Strobo would be the 2012 Sub Figure.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Bah! I was hoping Strobo would be the 2012 Sub Figure.
    Meh. With the way Mattel's collective minds work, it'll probably be an obscure Skeletor design since it's not He-Man (or a pseudo-variant of him like Wun-Dar).

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Now that Sy-Klone is made and will be in our hands soon. All the parts for Strobo had been made and done. I can see Strobo as one of the bonus characters soon.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Wow, it never occurred to me that Strobo was off limits; Mattel really screwed up the rights to their own property in a way I have never seen anyone come close to.

Glad I picked up an extra Zodac and plan to get an extra Syke for the very purpose TG mentions. Just have to figure out the cape (got loads of extra Supes from DCUC)...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    I kinda missed that post about toy guru saying strobo's off limits, how is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    And I'll ask again: WHY?!? Why do they not have the rights to a character appearing in their own publication?
    Lost it in a poker match? Matty had a few too many and George Lucas went walking out of there with Fisto AND Strobo!

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeHe-Man View Post
    I kinda missed that post about toy guru saying strobo's off limits, how is that possible?
    That has to be a mistake. Strobo was clearly a Mattel character. He only appeared in the comic to introduce a potential new toy to us 80s kids. No way the magazine thought up that character themselves. And even if they had, the fact is it was a character that was 100% recycled MOTU parts.

If they can't call him "Strobo" because the magazine came up with the name, maybe they could give him another name with a similar meaning (like Hyperion or something).
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; May 30, 2011 at 09:46am.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Not for me ...
    TOP 5 MOTUC MUST HAVES:
    1. Mermista
    2. Angella
    3. 200X Sorceress
    4. Snake Armor He-man & She-ra (See here for Hunter Knight's custom) 2-Pack
    5. Madame Razz w Broom

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    If they do make a Strobo, I would like to see a holographic sticker used on the chest, instead of a reflective mirror surface. It would help create the illusion of a relective surface, while also giving it a "pulsing enegry" look.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; May 31, 2011 at 10:44am.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    If they do make a Strobo, I would like to see a holographic sticker used on the chest, instead of a reflective mirror surface. It would help create the illusion of a relective surface, while also giving it a "pulsing enegry" look.

http://www.novavisioninc.com/images/...2-06-color.jpg
    Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Wow, it never occurred to me that Strobo was off limits; Mattel really screwed up the rights to their own property in a way I have never seen anyone come close to.
    It really makes you question, what on earth Mattel legal were thinking. I mean stake your claim. I thought that legally speaking any character created under a brand banner, even if it was created by someone else, was property of that brand, in regards to toylines and cartoons. I know for tv shows it's a bit different, the writer gets royalties from the character he created, esp if it's recurring. but toons don't fall into the same rights.

Mattel really made a mess of things. seems they didn't think very far ahead.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Strobo is now available to be made!!!
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Strobo is availble and they have all the parts already to make him.
    See it on this page
    http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mo...e=800&start=60