Thread: Need some info on figure scale

Widget

Need some info on figure scale

Hi, I'm fully aware this is a He-Man forum and my question would be better suited at figure-realm, but the sad truth is that they don't have what I qualify as a forum. So I try my luck by posting here but do understand if it'll get deleted.

My question is about figure scale as I'm thinking about designing some custom toys, not really He-Man related. Growing up, the closest to the now popular 6 inch scale was Bravestarr if he qualifies. it would be nice to see a comparison between MOtUC and him. Gi Joe:s were also very popular at an appropriate size of 3.75" with their vehicles, but the ones I played most with was MOTU and TMNT together with biker mice etc. What scale were they? 4.5" Is that scale still common or has been abandoned with the 90's? To me, that was the best scale considering the details on the figures, vehicles and playsets and ease of handling.

My real question is though, if you were to design action figures, what scale would you choose? This question is aimed at action figures for kids to play with so I'm guessing 6" is more for show.

Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Geuse View Post
    Hi, I'm fully aware this is a He-Man forum and my question would be better suited at figure-realm, but the sad truth is that they don't have what I qualify as a forum. So I try my luck by posting here but do understand if it'll get deleted.

My question is about figure scale as I'm thinking about designing some custom toys, not really He-Man related. Growing up, the closest to the now popular 6 inch scale was Bravestarr if he qualifies. it would be nice to see a comparison between MOtUC and him. Gi Joe:s were also very popular at an appropriate size of 3.75" with their vehicles, but the ones I played most with was MOTU and TMNT together with biker mice etc. What scale were they? 4.5" Is that scale still common or has been abandoned with the 90's? To me, that was the best scale considering the details on the figures, vehicles and playsets and ease of handling.

My real question is though, if you were to design action figures, what scale would you choose? This question is aimed at action figures for kids to play with so I'm guessing 6" is more for show.

Thank you for reading.
    The vintage MOTU were 5.5", TMNT were around 5". I loved that scale too, it was excellent for figures with chunky bodies and action features.

The likes of Star Wars & GI Joe work better at the smaller 4" scale, due to the vast number of characters & the huge role that vehicles played in their stories.

It really depends on the type of theme/gimmick the property has, and what kind of characters are featured. Fantasy & monsters I feel usually work better at a larger size. Whereas with space & military themes I generally prefer smaller figures, so they can ride in spaceships & jets that aren't too big to fly & swoosh around a room.

Most of the toy companies prefer the smaller scales nowadays as they are cheaper to produce. Price point is also very important to consider. The larger the figure, the more expensive it'll be. Most modern 6" or 7" figures are aimed at adult collectors.

If I was designing an action figure line i'd probably go with 6" scale, but if the line was to heavily feature vehicles and playsets i'd definitely make them smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The vintage MOTU were 5.5", TMNT were around 5". I loved that scale too, it was excellent for figures with chunky bodies and action features.

The likes of Star Wars & GI Joe work better at the smaller 4" scale, due to the vast number of characters & the huge role that vehicles played in their stories.

It really depends on the type of theme/gimmick the property has, and what kind of characters are featured. Fantasy & monsters I feel usually work better at a larger size. Whereas with space & military themes I generally prefer smaller figures, so they can ride in spaceships & jets that aren't too big to fly & swoosh around a room.

Most of the toy companies prefer the smaller scales nowadays as they are cheaper to produce. Price point is also very important to consider. The larger the figure, the more expensive it'll be. Most modern 6" or 7" figures are aimed at adult collectors.

If I was designing an action figure line i'd probably go with 6" scale, but if the line was to heavily feature vehicles and playsets i'd definitely make them smaller.
    I think you nailed it RocketPunch. I personally think that the 7" scale used in Classics is perfect for exactly what Classics is meant to recall and represent, but I too would prefer a 6" scale for the average action figure. It works perfectly as a 1 to 1 ratio with 6 inches equaling a character with a 6 foot stature.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Mezco's One:12 Collective makes outstandingly detailed figures around 6 inches from multiple properties.
    After getting the Dark Knight/Mutant Leader set I believe it is my favorite scale.

http://www.mezcotoyz.com/category/on...lective/1.html

And now Classic TOS Spock is joining the line!

Widget
    Thanks guys for the great input!
    I agree with you, though I've just always felt 6" is too big for playsets and vehicles and 4" too small for the details. For example all those funny and gross details going on in the vintage TMNT line. IMO, the 5" is the perfect compromise.
    None of you would have an image comparing a Bravestarr figure to a MOtUC? Was the Bravestarr line true 6"?
    Always thought it was quite weird since no other toys came in that size at the time.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Geuse View Post
    Thanks guys for the great input!
    I agree with you, though I've just always felt 6" is too big for playsets and vehicles and 4" too small for the details. For example all those funny and gross details going on in the vintage TMNT line. IMO, the 5" is the perfect compromise.
    None of you would have an image comparing a Bravestarr figure to a MOtUC? Was the Bravestarr line true 6"?
    Always thought it was quite weird since no other toys came in that size at the time.

Thanks!
    Bravestarr figures were actually about 8 inches tall, so they were even bigger than the 7" MOTU Classics.

I wouldn't say that 4" are lacking in detail, as many Star Wars & GI Joe figs are actually quite nice for their size. It's just easier to make out the details on bigger toys, especially when viewed from a distance.

Heroic Warrior
    M.U.S.C.L.E. size
    M.A.S.K. size
    Vintage G.I. Joe Size
    WWE LJN size
    vintage star wars
    Vintage Masters of the Universe

I liked the big and the size.

I think besides different character types,colors and personas in a toy line you need a different sizes. i.e. ogre size. giants.

Cause anyone can make a 5 inch line or a 12 inch line or even something in between. And toy companies have been there and done that.

If you want to have your toyline really stand out you need a little bit of every height in your line.