Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Saga of the Classicized 200X He-Man

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Saga of the Classicized 200X He-Man

How far do you neuter something until it ceases to be what it is supposed to be?

Instead of derailing more threads, I've created a thread for the purpose of talking about the proposed 200X He-Man in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    new loin cloth: No. The loin cloth in the 2002 figure is the same loin cloth as the vintage/or classic toy just with anime hyper 2002 details such as an added pouch. The pouch is what makes it 2002 hyper detail style/interpretation. It is the extra detail anime flair. And this style is retired. We already have a loin cloth, we won't be adding the 2002 stylized elements i.e. the pouch because this look is retired.
    The pouch is one of the few visual elements that separate 200X He-Man from normal He-Man. Just make a Classicized version of pouch. Use the same Super glue you had with Stratos' wings and glue it to the front of the loincloth.

New forearms: Again no. The 2002 figure has anime, ultra detail arms. Otherwise they are the same basic concept as the vintage toy. Just male muscle arms which we already have in the new Classic style.
    I expected this. Now all the different bracers is "anime, ultra detail".

New head: Also no. The only different details with the 2002 head to the vintage head again are the anime hyper detail style such as cut cheeks and flared hair. It is the same head just in a different interpretation. If the 2002 head was radically different, such as a third eyeball or purple beard, then it would certainly call for a new version. But when it comes down to it, the 2002 head is just your standard He-Man head but with 2002 hyper details to the hair and cheeks. And the hyper detail look is retired.
    Is He-Man with longer hair ala MYP or Emilliano's 200X He-Man "anime style"? I'd think it would be like Wave 6 Superman from DCUC where Superman has longer hair.

I don't think anyone is asking for this hair:

But I think people ARE asking for this hair:

Just take He-Man's hair and make it longer like the drawing above. No anime needed. Hell, you could reuse it for an Alcala style He-Man head...

New chest harness. This one yes. The chest harness is different from the original, but it is about the only thing different that is not different due to anime details. It actually looks different (leather straps, different symbol). We may look at finding a way to do this in Classics down the road.
    At least I don't have to worry about this part.

New axe, and shield: Again no. The 2002 axe and shield are just anime style ultra added detail (electronic cords) interpretations of the vintage weapons and the 2002 anime style is retired.
    I could live without the techno axe and shield. That's ultra detail.

So to conclude, when you are looking at a 2002 figure and trying to see if it will work as a Classic figure, subtract any elements that are anime/hyper ultra detail. Then look and see if their really are enough different elements to warrant a new version of the figure. To understand the Classics look, bring the figure down to the base elements and then look to see if the 2002 version was really that radically different.

A good example of a figure that would get a "2002 version" in MOTUC because it was radically different might be Evil Lyn or King Randor. Their 2002 look is not about just adding anime styling, these figure have radically different looks to the vintage counterpart such as white skin and cape or green armor.

Otherwise, for the most part, the 2002 figures are just anime hyper detail interpretations of the MOTU characters and that look is retired. All MOTUC figures will be in the Classics style. Both the Classics style and the 2002 style are based on the vintage toys, just with a different interpretation, anime vs. modern update. And the anime look is retired.

The Classics interpretation of MOTU may not be for everyone. Their are certainly fans who prefer the 2002 "anime hyper detail" interpretation of MOTU. But that style and toy line is retired. Current figures will be in the Classics style. While we will take new elements like the electronic sword or Webstor's extra arms that first appeared in the 2002 line in the current MOTUC line, we won't be taking the styling or the hyper detail.

Hope this helps!

Scott
    Toyguru, I think no one is asking for a straight translation of 200X He-man.

However, 200X He-Man is arguably the easiest 200X redesign to convert to the Classics style. The problem is with your conversion...it's to the extent where 200X He-Man loses most of what makes him different from normal He-Man. 200X He-Man is so minimalistic in design elements that stripping him of his major 200X elements makes him Classic He-Man, and I believe that fans fear that 200X He-Man would not be different enough. All he needs is the chest armor, pouch, longer hair (forget MYP, just make standard He-Man's hair longer) and repainted belt, bracers, boots and loincloth to turn MOTUC He-Man into a Classicized 200X He-Man. I know bonus figures are cheap, but damn... There's a point where you remove too many 200X elements from what is supposed to be the 200X incarnation of the character and I think 200X He-Man has reached that point.

I believe that is the reason why your plans for this figure is getting so much resistance from fans.

You want fans to let you know how to make a better product? Well, here it is.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 27, 2010 at 10:51am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Just let it go, man.

Quote Originally Posted by a-star View Post
    Just let it go, man.
    If fans accepted whatever Mattel did, the next upcoming release of Stratos wouldn't have his wings corrected. Even Toyguru changed his stance on that one.

This is a rare chance to tell Toyguru how to make a figure much better before it is created.

Just let it go, man.
    What a-star said.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Just let it go, man.
    YES! let it go, for good.
    Most Powerful Man In The Universe

I think that the 200x He-Man would be butchered so badly that I'm really not interested in seeing an attempt to make him in the classics line. I would like to see the Snake Armor variant, but I'll just stick with the actual 200x figure if I want to see that style for a regular He-Man.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Too many uses of "hyper anime detail" and "that look is retired" for one post. I was sick of TG saying that before, now i've got a headache.

Totally with you Mega - longer hair, new harness, glue on a pouch, repaint, and done.

Bang your head!!!
    I agree. All we're doing with this subject is beating a dead horse. Mattel has said time and time again that the 200X look is done. If they were to make a 200X He-Man, the only added pieces I could see them tooling would be the ax and shield... and maybe throwing those squares onto the King Grayskull body armor. Other than that, he would be just a repaint, and thats what they are doing with the Classics line and thats what was done with the Original line too. Keep the tooling as low as they can.

If fans accepted whatever Mattel did, the next upcoming release of Stratos wouldn't have his wings corrected. Even Toyguru changed his stance on that one.
    Thats a production issue...

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Megagear,

You seem to be under the impression that we have "plans" for a 200X He-Man in the Classics line. "200X" He Man is "Classic" He-Man. They are both based on on the vintage figure, just two different modern interpretations. One in "anime ultra detail style" and one in "modern update" style.

For the record, we don't have plans for a "200X" He-Man. There are just not enough differences in the 200X ultra anime detail (or whatever you want to call it) interpretation of He-Man to justify a different figure. So when you say a "200X" He-Man in Classics style would not look that different you are hitting the nail on the head. That exactly the point. All "200X anime hyper detail elements are retired. Without those elements you are back to the vintage look of He-Man and Classics is taking a new "modern update" interpretation of this character just as the retired 200X line took an "anime hyper detail" interpretation of him.

We might do his harness one day much as we did his sword as that was the one element that was actually different.

The only "200X" figures that will show up in the MOTUC line are figures like Evil Lyn, Prince Adam, Snake Armor He-Man or King Randor (or others, these are just examples) that actually had major differences between the 2002 anime interpretation and the vintage design. They had new concepts that were not seen in the vintage line that still stand strong even after you strip away any anime hyper detail flare. So we might get around to doing them in the MOTUC line one day.

The 200X He-Man is the same basic design as vintage He-Man just with an "anime" interpretation such as an extra pouch, slightly different arm bands and anime hair. And again this style/interpretation of the brand is retired. So any elements that are part of the Horsemen's anime "200X" interpretation of the vintage toys will not show up. No extra pouches, no spikes, no ultra detail. The MOTUC line is an all new interpretation of MOTU, in this case it is a "modern update" interpretation as oppose to an "anime ultra detail" interpretation used in 2002.

Can we put this one to rest now?

TG
    Last edited by Toyguru; March 27, 2010 at 11:55am.

I agree, let this go, the difference between 2k2 He-Man and Classics He-Man is so very minimalistic. And since we're always complaining that variants are what killed the 2k2 line, let's not do the same for MOTUC with an on-line toy who only has a few different features to it.

Now instead of regurgitating this topic ad nauseum, let's choose a worthy cause to get behind, let's crusade for a Snake Woman that doesn't turn out to be a cheap Teela repaint!
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

(...), no spikes, (...)
    Except for Spikor!!

Megagear,

You seem to be under the impression that we have "plans" for a 200X He-Man in the Classics line.

For the record, we don't have plans for a "200X" He-Man. There are just not enough differences in the 200X ultra anime detail (or whatever you want to call it) interpretation of He-Man to justify a different figure.
    Sadly, it's just as well... You see, that's what fans were afraid of...without more 200X elements on such a minimalistic design such as 200X He-Man, there just is no point. It's like Thunder Punch He-Man...you might as well release his armor with someone else.

We might do his harness one day much as we did his sword as that was the one element that was actually different.
    LOL, some poor character might come packaged with a 200X harness?

The 200X He-Man is the same basic design as vintage He-Man just with an "anime" interpretation such as an extra pouch, slightly different arm bands and anime hair. And again this style/interpretation of the brand is retired. So any elements that are part of the Horsemen's anime "200X" interpretation of the vintage toys will not show up. No extra pouches, no spikes, no ultra detail. The MOTUC line is an all new interpretation of MOTU, in this case it is a "modern update" interpretation as oppose to an "anime ultra detail" interpretation used in 2002.

Can we put this one to rest now?
    I guess so. At least where I'm concerned.

Thanks for responding so fast to the thread, TG.

Why can't you just treasure the He-man that came with the 200x line and be happy? This is Classics. Not 200X.

So I think this thread brings this argument to a close. No 200x He-Man. At least you know now so if it bothers you so much, you can step away from Classics and stick to the actual 200x line or move on from He-Man altogether.

I'm not opposed to your idea of a 200x He-Man but it is pretty clear that it is not in the cards so you can make an informed decision on your future with the Classics line now. Be thankful for that.

Just get an extra new King Grayskull and give the harnass to Heman.
    200x Heman would basicly be a repaint like the DC version with KGs armour.
    Mattel could do it for us, but other variant He-man have more fan demand. Mine is a complete repaint with Triklops leftarm just like DC He-man:

SA He-man would be great though..
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; March 27, 2010 at 11:55am.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Knight View Post
    Why can't you just treasure the He-man that came with the 200x line and be happy? This is Classics. Not 200X.
    The same reason why everyone else isn't satisfied with their original figures.

This is why. Can your original He-Man, Beastman and Faker do this? Neither can their 200X versions.

The vintage and 200X figures aren't modern action figures. The vintage figures don't have the articulation, sculpting or the paint. The 200X figures don't have the articulation or the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    So I think this thread brings this argument to a close. No 200x He-Man. At least you know now so if it bothers you so much, you can step away from Classics and stick to the actual 200x line or move on from He-Man altogether.
    You don't know me very well...

• I have every MOTUC figure released thus far. So far the only figure I'm going to skip is Mo-Larr. So there is no Classic hatred from me at all.

• 200X is my favorite era. Pre-Filmation is my next favorite. So Classic designs don't bother me at all. Actually I wish they were MORE classic, if anything. Then King Randor would be an old man, He-Man would have a dagger in his boot and Teela would have Blonde Hair.

I'm not opposed to your idea of a 200x He-Man but it is pretty clear that it is not in the cards so you can make an informed decision on your future with the Classics line now. Be thankful for that.
    What informed decision would I have to make? No 200X He-Man in Classics doesn't mean I'm going anywhere. I dunno how people are coming to that conclusion--unless they don't know me.

Pro-200X doesn't mean anti-other eras.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 27, 2010 at 12:02pm.

The Classics interpretation of MOTU may not be for everyone. Their are certainly fans who prefer the 2002 "anime hyper detail" interpretation of MOTU. But that style and toy line is retired. Current figures will be in the Classics style. While we will take new elements like the electronic sword or Webstor's extra arms that first appeared in the 2002 line in the current MOTUC line, we won't be taking the "anime" styling or the hyper detail.

200X He-Man is not a "variant" of He-Man the way Battle Armor or Thunder Punch are. He is an "interpretation" of the vintage toy just as MOTUC He-Man is a interpretation of the same vintage toy but in a different style.

While we will do variants of He-Man in MOTUC like NA, Thunder Punch, Battle Armor, etc... we won't be doing interpretations. All MOTUC figures are in the same "modern update" style. No anime hyper detail flare that was part of the 2002 interpretation look.

TG

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Please, please, please, Toyguru, fortheluvagreyskull, STOP SAYING ANIME HYPER-DETAIL! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Reboot; March 27, 2010 at 11:58am.

What do you want to call it? "2002 style"?

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    What do you want to call it? "2002 style"?
    Yeah, that would do fine.

Toyguru,

Any idea when we'll know who the SDCC figure is (i.e. when in April?)
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Please, please, please, Toyguru, fortheluvagreyskull, STOP SAYING ANIME HYPER-DETAIL! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, I'm with Reboot, and MGM on this one. It's not that we are looking for 200X to be resurrected per se. But I for one would love to see He-man with the 200X harness (with the correct symbol, not the Iron Cross), the 200X sword, and at least the pouch on the loin cloth. That really don't seem to be alot ot ask for.

And none of that is "hyper anime detail". Most of us are really confused when you say that. How is a "pouch" considered "hyper anime"?

When I hear "hyper anime", I think of weird, anatomically incorrect poses, sharp, pointy, over exaggerated facial features, etc. I don't think anyone here is looking for that.

I for one, love the Classics look and feel. But that's a separate issue from what is being asked here. I would think that "200X He-Man" as MGM described would be the easiest of all "variants" (and I agree, it's not really a variant in the truest sense) to create. But as you've said, this is a dead issue, so I'll leave it be.

Good try though, MGM.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I know why he does that. He's making absolutely certain that his view is understood. I'm sure it annoys him to write the same phrases, but how many times has he had to defend his position?

With almost every new figure (especially the pretty 200X Marzo), there are fans who are looking for any new loophole to get certain "undoable characters". Toyguru had to explain that Marzo was unique only to 200X and didn't have a Classic version.

So I get why Toyguru does it.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru, this is getting way ahead of everything-but, can the re-release of She-Ra come packaged with the Filmation-style tiara on (like most people know her by)? Also, how about a Filmation-style Hordak? Paint the gray blue, and give him an extra arm ala Hurricane Hordak. Basically, a repaint and totally doable! Thanks.

The difference in hair between MOTUC He-Man and 2002 He-Man to me is not a big deal. Both have long shaggy hair but the MOTUC version at least is able to move around his head so I like that. I think that the pouch would look ridiculous with MOTUC's shorter loincloth. 2002 He-Man's loincloth almost looks like a furry kilt so the pouch looks just right in that style. I do prefer 2002 He-Man's harness and weapons, however. So all I did was put on 2002 He-man's harness and weapons on MOTUC He-Man and voila! Instant merging of both worlds. Since the 2002 look is retired, which sucks, at least I already have my MOTUC He-Man with some 2002 influence and no need to pay more money or struggle ordering in that ridiculous website for something I already have.