Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.30!

Why should the supposed complexity of MVC's story matter? Not that WE get to see and judge it for ourselves thanks to Mattel, but Illumina's back story would naturally have to be simplified for a MOTUC bio anyway. They didn't mind changing He-Ro's history, why is it a problem with Illumina? Fans are even less aware of her backstory, they just know she looks cool and has some MOTU history just like He-Ro had. People would buy her with her cat too! It's insanely stupid of Mattel and Toyguru to shut the door on this. The bull about it being out of print is especially useless because all of MOTU is "out of print." Wundar didn't even exist for real!

I agree with others here, this and the "fan pitch" remark feels like a slap to MVC and to us its fans. I want Illumina and the Council of Wisdom! It disgusts me they've been singled out to be ignored.

I think the answer to question #5 is a bit weird. Why should complexity matter with a toyline? Articulation, paint apps, accessories - yes those matter. Backstory, however, is optional to me, and I'm going to guess that's the same for most fans. Besides, collectors will have their own story anyways. I mean if Mattel can make and sell X units of Illumina and her cat legally and make a nice profit, will it matter?

Does anyone know if Mattel will have to pay royalties to MVC (not MYP, not MVP, please get that correct, Toyguru) if they make a character from MVC? If not, then its even more profit for them.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Well, I know I'm chiming in late on the subject, but I've said it before and I'll say it again; my two favorite incarnations of MotU are the classic mini-comics, also called Miniternia, or the 200X MYP cartoon and MVC comics era.

The mini-comics I enjoyed for their slightly darker, more mythic approach to the storyline and art. The MVC comics I enjoyed for their amazing art, carefully plotted storylines, and their faithfulness to the concepts of all eras of MotU. For successfully blending elements of the classic mini-comics, inclusion of never-before seen characters from the toyline, detailed backstories, and interesting new characters, including Illumina.

So for someone to dismiss Val and Emilliano's incredible work as a "fan pitch" or as being out of continuity is laughable and moreover disappointing to us, the real fans. It only goes to show that the continuity of the various incarnations of MotU will never truly be fully integrated if one of it's most important and popular eras is ignored.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    MOTU Fans I feel are the ultimate battered wives, no matter how many punches we take we won't leave our man

A G.I.Joe fan to a MotU fan:

GIJF: Have you checked the new Past & Present Joe fig...hey, what's that over your eye?

MOTUF: This...ehmm...I've crashed a door by accident ...Have you checked the new MOTU 2 packs w/Superman?
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

i honestly don't even know what i can say that has not already been said in the matter....WE ARE GETTING A WUN-DAR HALF SWORD!!!!!

wait...what is everyone ELSE talking about?

what?? he said what!?

lol yeha i pretty much agree with everything everyone said here about "fan pitches". i am sure this has pretty much burned TG from posting anything here for awhile.

perhaps we should post this over on matty and see if he can answer this...i sure hope he uses small words as my poor fan-like mind can't understand them thar big words.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    i honestly don't even know what i can say that has not already been said in the matter....WE ARE GETTING A WUN-DAR HALF SWORD!!!!!

wait...what is everyone ELSE talking about?

what?? he said what!?

lol yeha i pretty much agree with everything everyone said here about "fan pitches". i am sure this has pretty much burned TG from posting anything here for awhile.

perhaps we should post this over on matty and see if he can answer this...i sure hope he uses small words as my poor fan-like mind can't understand them thar big words.
    I'm betting if someone did that, assuming that the post didn't get deleted and assuming that it got a reply we'd be likely to get either a 'dumbed down' or polite version of:

Thank you for your question however it is not in our policy to reveal such information. Thank you for your time. We value your money, please leave us more soon.'

Well...

First, I am glad my question (#5) got a rather thorough answer, but I was disappointed by that answer. Why?

1) The name of the company that created and published the MOTU 200X comic series was MVCreations (along with Image for a time, I believe). It was not MVP. The fact that I named the company correctly in my question, and then the answer contained an incorrect name for that company twice, reminded me of an old Madonna interview from when Britney Spears was at the peak of her success. Everyone was calling her the "new Madonna," and MTV interviewed Madonna, and asked her about it.

She called her "Britney, uhm, Peers?"

I hope that this was just another case of a non-proofread Q&A session.

2) The back-stories that were not used by MVCreations (due to Mattel's placing of limitations on the company, as well as the toy line's untimely demise) are just as legitimate as any and all of the material found in the MOTU Art Book. Concept characters owned by Mattel, such as Demo-Man, Vikor, Sharella, Eldor, He-Ro, Horrorsaur, etc. should be considered equal to a character like Illumina. Why? Mattel granted MVCreations a license to use the MOTU property in a comic book that only helped bolster sales of their toy-line.

Calling Illumina and the proposed MVCreations back-story a "fan-pitch" is incredibly disrespectful. It also calls into question whether Scott Neitlish is actually aware of the relationship MVCreations had with Mattel at the time.

Mr. Neitlich pointed out that the "Icons of Evil" one-shots were being used by MOTUC. That contradicts his statement that MVCreations stories were part of a "fan-pitch," in that character backgrounds were created by the staff of MVCreations for MOTU characters, and Mattel considers those "legitimate."

If he believes that the whole of MVCreations work is/was a "fan-pitch," then we must assume that he has, or likely will, farm ideas from other fan-pitched storylines or backgrounds, as he seems to have been comfortable doing so with the Icons Of Evil stories.

His reasoning is valid, I suppose, but it is an illogical one. The fans have been vocal about the desire for an "Illumina" figure in the MOTUC line.
    Yet, Scott N. has passionately argued that this line IS for the fans primarily.

Of course, it is, in reality, a source of momentum that can be crafted into money-numbers in order to lure movie studios into a deal for a MOTU movie (or three).

This would all be fine, as long as the fans, the very people who have kept MOTU alive for 25+ years, were respected.

Mr. Neitlich has been vocally disrespectful of the fans for quite some time now. He blamed the fans for being rumor-mongers when they complained in great numbers that the Webstor figure was not, as he insisted, "Like you remember." One could assume that a fan of the toy-line would know how the vintage figure worked.

3) Scott claims that including a character like Illumnia would be too complicated for the current direction of MOTUC. That is certainly possible, but does he consider his changing of the concept character He-Ro's story when he makes that claim? Illumina's back-story could have been changed to fit whatever story-line Mr. Neitlich's team is crafting for MOTUC.

I could go on, but frankly, it's becoming difficult to deal with the Brand Manager of MOTUC, DCUC, JLU, mattycollector.com, etc.

He is not courting the fan-base, which he will desperately need if he wants a movie to work.

MOTUC is supposed to be an "all-encompassing" line that draws from all Mattel-owned sources of MOTU/POP/NA material. The stories from MVCreations' MOTUC 200X Comic series are owned by Mattel. Why is some of that material being called legitimate (Icons of Evil) and some not (Illumina)?

It seems that this toy line is not "for the fans." It seems as Mr. Neitlich has his own master plan for how and why the toyline should be developed. That is fine, as long as Mattel is comfortable leaving its most famous, billion-dollar action figure property in the hands of one man, be he a Mattel employee or not.

I'd ask Mattel if they feel comfortable with the fact that the Brand Manager for almost all of their adult-collector lines is not willing to employ ideas in developing the MOTUC line that he may personally dislike, but that countless fans to appreciate.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    no valid reason at all given the humongous black hole of confusion the MOTUC bios make (collect them all to make some damn sense out of the story, but its not confusing)
    I seriously laughed out loud at this. It's funny because it is so true.

The bios are all over the place. They shoe horned in both He-Ro and King Grayskull together (who were each essentially meant to serve the same purpose and essentially be the same character, even though they are also each unique in their own right). It seems like the Power Sword gets passed around for no real good reason and has way too many different owners (or too many people involved with it's origin) just for there to be some reason for all of these different characters that never existed together in one continuity to somehow co-exist within this new continuity.

It's like they took various elements of the different existing MOTU story lines/canons, took a few new ideas, and just really badly scotch-taped them all together.

And so far we've gotten (or will be getting) 3 figures that can easily be argued to be as obscure (or close to it) as Illumina..... He-Ro, Goddess, and Wun-Dar.

Wun-Dar basically is a non-character, in the sense that the figure that he is based on didn't technically exist as far as Mattel is concerned.

Goddess was in a small handful of minicomics early in the original toyline, and that's it.

And as for He-Ro, he was pretty much a non-character, too. He appeared in one and only one mini-comic at the tail end of the MOTU line (when it was dieing out fast), and appeared on the box art of a few obscure MOTU items that weren't even sold in many regions that got most of the other items in the original collection.

I don't see how Illumina is any less worthy than these characters.

And the whole argument about her back story being too complicated is just weak. Okay, give her a new one. Make something up. Badly scotch-tape her into the mix like everything else has been.

I mean, let's face it, ultimately the fans just want the damn figure. Regardless of whether the bio is good or not, and regardless of what they even call the character (in the event that they don't want to use, what the deem to be, a "fan created" name). What is written in the bio, and even to some extent what name is written on the insert card in the package, do not really matter that much (though it would be preferable for her to keep her name), if we just get the figure.

Heck, they could call her Sea-Hag, and she could hang out in the Sea of Rakash distributing swords as a basis for a system of government. That could actually work well to explain why, in this continuity, the power sword has been passed to (or otherwise has in some way involved) every Tom, Dik, and Harry that they shoe horn into this story.

Or heck, for that matter, leave the damn bio section blank. It won't really matter that much. (I mean, it's not like we are talking about a cartoon series or a comic book series here. It's a paragraph written on the back of a piece of cardboard, even if it was well written, it wouldn't be anywhere near as exciting as receiving the story through one of those other forms of media anyway).

If it means that we just get the damn figure at the end of the day, then do whatever is necessary.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; February 9, 2010 at 11:45pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Uhmm, double posting aside This was the best response so far in this thread, and that's saying alot, since alot of people here have had excellent points.

But you had such a good point, that you had to say it twice!!

This is a situation where I'm not sure what to say.
    I wasn't going to post, but this thread has received far more attention than I originally anticipated.

I believe the type of answer we saw in the Q&A is systemic of an ongoing concern that has been growing not only within this community, but with fans everywhere.
    If not, I don't think as many of you would have commented in this thread.

All I know is whatever the problem is (be it with me, or this site, or whatever), this community is not receiving the treatment from Mattel that we'd like to enjoy.
    That makes me very sad.
    This breaks down the bonds between fan sites and Mattel, and paints a potentially dismal future for fan sites everywhere for both the here and now of MOTU and POP.

I could sit here and bullet point items and events as they've unfolded in regards to my person and this site, but I don't think openly pointing fingers right now is going to help.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we just want it to stop.
    I know I have previously written Scott and apologized for whatever I have done or for whatever has happened to create this rift.

At the end of the day, no matter what all is said here in this thread or in any discussion thread on any forum out there, I'm fairly sure no one wants to be having this type of discussion.
    I'm confident we'd all prefer to be happy fans, spanning a network of fan sites, who freely and frequently work closely with Mattel to support and spread the word about their brands, while we all joyously collect the toys we love so much because we'll all have helped a little to create a bright and long future for the brand.

So I earnestly request that the person or persons Mattel (be it Scott and/or someone else) who has issue with myself, or this site, to please bury the hatchet and let's move forward.
    And, I humbly and openly apologize for whatever the problem may be, especially if I am at the heart of it.

But, to whoever that may be, please take it to heart that we can't put it behind us until someone at Mattel actually takes the time to start working with us in a sincere manner.
    And it's going to require that Mattel also acknowledges there are problems on both ends.
    Once this happens, we can all start working towards fixing all the problems and rebuilding the relationship the fans and this site once had with Mattel. No doubt, we all long for it to once again be the way it was during the heyday of the 200x line.
    And if that happens, I hope in my heart that we can count on a bright day for fans sites everywhere.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And I hope to see you all at Power-Con!

Well said!
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    At the end of the day, no matter what all is said here in this thread or in any discussion thread on any forum out there, I'm fairly sure no one wants to be having this type of discussion.
    I'm confident we'd all prefer to be happy fans, spanning a network of fan sites, who freely and frequently work closely with Mattel to support and spread the word about their brands, while we all joyously collect the toys we love so much because we'll all have helped a little to create a bright and long future for the brand.

So I earnestly request that the person or persons Mattel (be it Scott and/or someone else) who has issue with myself, or this site, to please bury the hatchet and let's move forward.
    And, I humbly and openly apologize for whatever the problem may be, especially if I am at the heart of it.

But, to whoever that may be, please take it to heart that we can't put it behind us until someone at Mattel actually takes the time to start working with us in a sincere manner.
    And it's going to require that Mattel also acknowledges there are problems on both ends.
    Once this happens, we can all start working towards fixing all the problems and rebuilding the relationship the fans and this site once had with Mattel. No doubt, we all long for it to once again be the way it was during the heyday of the 200x line.
    And if that happens, I hope in my heart that we can count on a bright day for fans sites everywhere.
    Bravo, JVS3! Bravo!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Uhmm, double posting aside This was the best response so far in this thread, and that's saying alot, since alot of people here have had excellent points.

But you had such a good point, that you had to say it twice!!
    Thanks! Though I edited it to only appear once now.

I wasn't trying to post it twice. I had some problem where the site was lagging and I kept clicking submit, so the post must have gone through twice and got merged automatically.

And in response to JVS3's post, I also say well said! We are the fans. And He-Man.org is pretty much the biggest MOTU fan site on the internet (as far as I know anyway). We are here because we love the property and want it to continue and flourish, so that we can continue to enjoy the product, and Mattel can continue to profit.

I'm not sure what all has gone down to cause whatever this rift is, and I really don't care about the specifics, but it is best for everyone involved if it ends.

Sure, at times (though not all of the time) there can be a good deal of negativity on this site when issues arise with some aspect of the figures that turn out not being the way many fans would prefer (I know I've made my share of complaints on things that I haven't liked), but most of the angry, negative sounding complaints ultimately come from a place of love and passion for this toy line and MOTU in general. People wouldn't be so vocal about the problems with Mossman's flocking or Adora's "Granny Panties" if they didn't care about Mossman and Adora in the first place.

The bottom line is that we, as fans, want these figures, and Mattel wants to sell the figures. It's not exactly like one group's goals majorly conflict with the other's. It shouldn't be that hard to find a way to make this work.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; February 10, 2010 at 08:53am. Reason: fixed a few typos

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World

Very well said! I really hope Mattel makes an increased effort to work with and respect you and the he-man.org community. It will definitely need to be a two-way street. That means that fans need to truly make an effort to keep comments civil and respectful, when commenting about Mattel and/or Toyguru. All too often, the negative opinions get taken to the next level. We should be able to keep insults, especially personal insults out of the threads! I know I'm not perfect, but one thing that really helps me keep things civil is a quick proof-read before I submit.

Val - I know I speak for all of the He-Man.org community when I say that you have our full support! We truly appreciate all that you do for MOTU!!

Heroic Warrior
    5. bcrduke: Since you said that characters from the MVCreations comic are possible, will you make Illumina and her cat? It would be another great way to use the Battle Cat mold, OR create a new mold to be used for Cringer and Catra's cat-form.

Although Illumina does appear on a few panels in the MVP comic series, her larger backstory was part of a fan pitch that was ultimately deemed too complicated for publication.

We are including the “Icons of Evil” series in MOTUC storyline but the other MVP comics and characters will not be included as toys. We may allude to them in bios, but these stories are too difficult for new fans to access (i.e. out of print) and simply do not fit with the current franchise direction.
    I usually don't get too involved in the WTFWTK, mostly because of how non-informative they are, but this one I've had to bring myself to post.

It's already been discussed ad nauseum in this thread that this is MVCreations and not MVP. I'll cut Toyguru some slack here as "MVP" could be a typo with respect to "MYP" and "MVCreations".

I won't cut slack for the comment about "fan pitch" though. The fact that Illumina was created by professionals who pitched the comic and not just fans is clear too... if they were just fans, how was it that they had the license to produce the comics? Further, when the new MOTUC line was launched at SDCC, why did Mattel have Emiliano Santalucia doing sketches in their booth? I guess maybe it's not so insulting if you consider the 4HM are fans and they "pitched" the first MOTUC He-man by just showing up with it at comic-con?

Moving on... Clearly all MOTU stories are out of print. If being out of print prevents all new characters than there should be no Green Goddess or He-Ro. Heck, by this logic, Vikor and Demo-Man are off limits because of how restricted the MOTU art book was (and that's the only official pictorial of them). If you do a Google product search for "he-man comics -"comic-con"", you'll find that most of the hits on the first few pages are for MVCreations comics, and that they are cheaper than the old comics in many cases. Thus, it is EASIER for a new fan to get those comics than the old ones.

As others have mentioned, Mattel can't account for where the original "Wonder Bread He-man" came from, but "some fans" have him and so they shoe-horned "Wun-Dar" into existance. If he never officially existed in the original line, and was thus never in any type of media (out of print or otherwise), how could this be any different to the "some fans" who have Illumina in a panel in a comic book they purchased within the last few years?

In the case of the MVCreations comics, I question why it matters if a story is "too complicated". This is probably what makes me the most upset about this post. I will grant that when the 200x line was active, Mattel may have wanted the story to be more accessible to younger readers because the line was targeted to them. Fine. When the MOTUC line is announced, and every figure has "Adult Collector" written on it, is it now being said that the story is "too complicated" for adults? Obviously, I've never read the story of Illumina (hopefully it will see the light someday), but how could the story have been any more complicated/convoluted than other parts of the MOTU Mythos (i.e., Who really is Teela's father?, Who is Keldor's mother?, etc).

Further, if fans are interested in Illumina, why rule her out? She's probably an easy retool. Her cat is an easy retool of Battle Cat. If it is an ownership issue, than something could be worked out, I'm sure. I don't think anyone at MVCreations is unreasonable. Maybe they are, I've not done business with them, but the fact they haven't released the MVCreations bible (I assume at Mattel's request), the fact that they haven't released the Illumina comic storyline (again I assume at Mattel's request), the fact that they have promoted the line for years and helped keep the fan base motivated in times when Mattel wasn't doing anything to keep support alive makes me think that they will work with Mattel. If the issue is determining whether there is enough interest to warrant production, then at least say you'll consider her. There is no reason to rule her out because a story that was never printed was too complicated for the target market of a different but related toy line.

Edit:

Val, your post was awesome.
    Last edited by ash; February 9, 2010 at 11:56pm.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    This, I wholeheartedly agree with!

True, there are always gonna be a small percentage of fans who actually do get off on the whining, and focus more on the incorrect assumption that only they know how things should be run.

But for the vast majority of us, we just want to see MotU be as successful as it can be!!!

We want movies, TV series, books, comics, toys, dolls, statues, video games . . . the whole shebang!

And, more importantly, we want everything related to MotU to be a pleasure!
    Simple, easy, and painless.

But thanks in large part to Mattel's refusal to work more closely with fans and truly listen to our feedback, MOTUC in particular becomes nothing but a series of hoops that we as fans are "forced" to jump through for no other reason than Mattel knows we can't go anywhere else for our MotU fix.

And sadly, the fact that the FANS have made MOTUC such a success, we're now all of us taken for granted.

Toyguru, Mattel, and to whomever else it may concern:
    Continue to underestimate the collector at your own peril.

We all have a breaking point, and dang if it doesn't seem like it's intentionally being tested.

Very nicely said Val!
    I think anyone could agree that there was definitely a certain tone to be found inherent in the now infamous answer to "question 5."

I will not pretend to know anymore than what I read from these boards like any of the rest of us, but I can tell you that there is definitely a noticeable difference in the relationship between Mattel and the org now and back in the 200x days.

I think we can all agree that we all just want the 'best' for the motu brand, and therefore, I can see why Mattel may seem hesitant to refer back, let's just say 'too much,' to the 200x era, simply because in Mattel's eyes, it was a failure, or at least, not the 'success' they had anticipated/hoped it would be.

But to simply, what seems to be the case anyway, 'single out' MVC's contribution to that era as a contaminant, just seems wrong, disrespectful, and unfounded.

And then to further not even acknowledge anything that this site (and those same people from MVC) have done in terms of keeping the life in motu throughout all of its dry spells overtime...well, it's just disturbing to say the least, and really makes me think twice about supporting the motuc line! I mean, if it weren't also for the Four Horsemen's involvement in this line, I just don't know... ya know?
    – No comment.

I have known Val for well over 10 years now. Thanks to him I have had the opportunity to be be part of a wonderful He-Man community here on the org. For as long as I have known him, he has always been a believer in the greatness of the MOTU franchise.

In the late 1990's I got a call from him stating that Mattel was interested in doing something with the MOTU line again and asked if I would be willing to send some of my collection for a marketing pitch. As fans of He-Man since childhood, this was too good to be true. We couldn't believe that there was a chance that Mattel was finally re-awakening the line.

With the success of the Commemorative Series, Mattel joined forces with the Four Horsemen for the 200X line. At the same time, the MYP cartoon and the MVCreations Comics were in full swing. This was the prime of my adult collecting career and I have some very special memories from this period.

As with most things, the line, cartoon, and comic all ended... for various reasons. Regardless, Val and Emiliano never gave up. Along with the 4H and NECA, they were able to lend a hand in making the stactions and busts a possibility. This series, although also ending before it was complete, kept interest in MOTU and bridged the gap until MOTUC.

All the while, Val, Emiliano and countless others have worked their butts off to provide us with the largest and most complete He-Man fan site... for free! Without their efforts, the He-Man fan base would never have had a voice and MOTU would just be another forgotten toy line form the 80s.

The answer to question number 5 saddens me on many levels. First, I am surprised that a story line would be called too complex. We obviously followed it when the MVCreations comics were in print. We can also still get this storyline much easier with the TPBs than trying to figure out the random, and conflicting storylines from the classic and New Adventure lines. I think that the fan community here has accepted the MVCreation story line because it was so faithful to what we felt MOTU and POP should be.

Aside from the personal feelings I am amazed that he would call a licensed MOTU comic "fan pitches". I am pretty sure that everyone who worked on the comics is considered a professional.

This being said, I hope that we can all continue to push the MOTU franchise forward to brighter days again. Fan sites all over the web, not just here, continue to keep He-Man and the Masters of the Universe alive. With the tease of a new movie and thus another huge surge in mass appeal, Mattel has the opportunity to use the FREE resources of the fans to their fullest potential.

Movie mayhem!
    Well everything I could say here has been said, hopefully it was just a bad choice of words...but I would like to just say how much I loved the MVC comics. I really hope Val, Emiliano and everyone who worked on them know how much the fans love them and enjoy the work they have done for MOTU. You have the love of the fans... in the end, thats what matters. :-)

Anyway... if you love Illumina let it be known in this thread that probably won't affect anything but is fun to post in: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184430

EDIT: I will say... how is the availability of the MVC comics relevant... last time I checked I couldn't go to the store and buy the mini comics. That hasn't changed the fact that fans what those comics rereleased, and want new mini comics, nor has it kept mattel from utilizing them for these figures. Classics is suppose to encompass all era's of MOTU... why are the MVC comics not part of this... ... ... ok concider the fire added too... sorry ... lol
    Last edited by Patreek; February 10, 2010 at 12:27am.

Nice replies from BCRDuke, Dynamo and JVS3.

Dynamo, the bios is the greatest joke of the entire line IMO. Heck, I'd rather they reuse completely the art from the cardback with just a one line description instead of the attempt to shoehorn the stories from various continuities into one coherent story.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Fan pitch! you mean like the one the 4HM did?
    Indeed, the fact that their idea about the Man-At-Arms made Sword Of Power got incorporated into the Classics bios leads directly to what I think should be the main realization Mattel walks away from this thread with:

The fans love Val and Emiliano as much as they love The Four Horsemen, and most consider their artistic contributions to the franchise to be equal.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I was surprised to see you post Val and I think your being very good about all this. I don't think we'll hear back from Mattle on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    The fans love Val and Emiliano as much as they love The Four Horsemen, and most consider their artistic contributions to the franchise to be equal.
    I agree 100%
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

I wish Mattel had the same level of respect for Val & Emiliano as they have for the Four Horsemen.

Illumina was a character created and published (image) while MCCreations was in possession of the MOTU license from Mattel.

She is, therefore, an owned concept character, equal in status to Vikor, Demo-Man, He-Ro, Eldor, The Star Sisters, Glory Bird, Horrorsaur, Eye-Beam, The Gyrattacker, etc. etc.

The justification Mr. Neitlich provides for not catering to the fans' wishes (and this figure has been largely requested by the fan community) points to his using invalid information to explain the discarding of this concept-character, and/or his being uneducated as to the terms of the contract that existed between Mattel and MVCreations. He also contradicts himself by calling MVCreations' work a "fan-pitch," but then claiming that the stories are too difficult for fans to "access," because they are "out of print." Fan-Pitches aren't typically "in print" at any time. I believe that Mr. Neitlich's language is a manipulation of facts regarding a past contract between Mattel and a licensee.. is that standard company practice?

It is no secret that Mattel enforces the rule that any characters created under license or in-house are owned by Mattel.

And the character's story being too "complicated" is a confusing idea simply because Mr. Neitlich has had no qualms about totally revamping an existing or other concept-character's backstory or bio to serve the purposes of the "franchise direction" (see He-Ro, Demo-Man, Sharella, and He-Man for that matter). Small or large changes to the backstory of "Illumina," would be easy for him to make.

The fans are only requesting the figure. It is assumed that Mr. Neitlich will do what he wants with the backstory for the character. The MOTUC line is marketed to the adult-collector community. If the toyline has purely become a way to create evidence for the property's earning potential, in order to lure a studio into a deal for a movie franchise, that is fine, but Mattel must be aware that the adult-collector fan-base will always be integral to keeping the line alive (toys, movies, et al).

Just out of curiosity, I put what Scott said to the test (regarding fan-accessability to Illumina).

GOOGLE SEARCH "Hits" for:

"Illumina" & "Masters of the Universe:" 419
    "Illumnia" AND "MOTU:" 8370

"He-Ro" & "Masters of the Universe:" 8430
    "He-Ro" & "MOTU:" 9180

"Vikor" & "Masters of the Universe:" 110
    "Vikor" & "MOTU:" 1330

"Demo-Man" & "Masters of the Universe:" 422
    "Demo-Man" & "MOTU" 446

"Veena" & "Masters of the Universe:" 934
    "Veena" & "MOTU:" 2780

Illumina fares far better than Veena, Vikor, and Demo-Man. Explain that.
    Last edited by bcrduke; February 10, 2010 at 06:13am.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    How long has toyguru had a dealings w/ Val & He-man.org and he still doesn't know the correct name for their company MVCreations or MVC NOT MVP!!!

And how is it that MVCreations stories are too complicated and inaccessible or like he says are "OUT of PRINT" when the comics are actually pretty easy to come by and i'm sure they have the master copies for mattel to get their hands on if need be. and last i remembered this line was an adult collectors line, so he's basically saying the comic stories are too complicated for us ADULT COLLECTOR'S to comprehend!

my faith in what toyguru says and how he pushes the blame on others when its been his fault for the chaos that happend w/ the exclusives of last years SDCC are a sure sign that his loyalty is not to motuc or to the fans of which he claims to be an UBER fan!

give me a freaking breaking!!!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback