Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.30!

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

So, could you ask fans at SDCC if they would like and Illumina and her cat, bring it to your bosses and see the possibility?
    This issue does not have to do with fan demand. Fans also want Shadow Weaver and Goat Man. There are a lot of figures fans want, but for one reason or another we won't be doing them.

I know fans are looking for more details on things like character selection, sales figures and other issues. But please try to understand that for a variety of reasons this isn't something I can go into publicly. I'll do all I can to provide information both here and on MattyCollector.com, but in the end, I have bosses too. I may be the MOTUC brand manager, but I don't have a free pass to just do whatever fans want or even what I might want. LOTS of my ideas get shot down too!

And sorry for spelling Illumina's name wrong. That was an honest mistake.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I second that, if the fans are so important (especially the ones who pay a small fortune to attend SDCC) then why not let them vote

Then nobody will have to worry about whether MVC is slighted or the character is too obscure, just a show of hands during the panel we know they will have and see what comes from it
    Mattel will probably just end up saying that the majority didn't want her, just like they wrongly said that the majority at SDCC were in favour of unflocked Panthor.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    This issue does not have to do with fan demand. Fans also want Shadow Weaver and Goat Man. There are a lot of figures fans want, but for one reason or another we won't be doing them.

I know fans are looking for more details on things like character selection, sales figures and other issues. But please try to understand that for a variety of reasons this isn't something I can go into publicly.

TG
    Well, nuts. I figured since Illumina was created and published in MVC comics who had the licence to do so from Mattel...all characters are owned by Mattel and the fans want her and her cat...who are simple repaints with very minimal new pieces required (head, weapon)...that she would eventually be green-lit.

About sales figures...since the 1 month and 2-3 weeks time-frame was already announced publicly, can you at least comment on whether or not the 2-3 week sell-out timeframe has changed?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    The figures are selling well and we will go into a second run for the more popular characters. That is all we can comment on for now.

And on the whole SDCC vote thing on Panthor, can we give this one a rest? The vote was absolutely in favor of unflocked. It wouldn't matter to Mattel which way this went, but the vote was the vote. No one is trying to skew anything one way or another. We let the fans vote at SDCC and they did. You may not be happy with the way fans voted, but that does not change the results. Honestly, it would be nice if fans would refrain from spreading false information about the vote being different. Incorrect info does not help anyone!

We will do a flocked version too. But the first version will be unflocked per the SDCC vote.

About sales figures...since the 1 month and 2-3 weeks time-frame was already announced publicly, can you at least comment on whether or not the 2-3 week sell-out timeframe has changed?
    Yeah I would like to know this as well, its been said numerous times the window Mattel wants the figures sold in so addressing this should not break any rules (unless its new rules we have not been told yet)

I mean with figures selling out in hours and subscription figures cutting into the total number available on sale day, has the expected sell out time decreased?

Or do we have to wait till we get coupons and are practically begged to buy figures like what happened with DCU/JLU in the last half of the year before JLU was pretty much canned as it currently is.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Co-Creator of the NV

So, the initial plan was for MOTUC figures to be available for a full month (31 days) and then changed to 2-3 weeks (14-21 days).

6 days into the sales of Zodak you mention he was selling "very well."
    Skeletor sold out 3 days less than the Goddess and he was selling out "faster than expected" and I think you were going for really, really well.

You said that Zodak and Goddess performed well on December 29th, but now you say sales were poor?

I'm very confused because BOTH figures (Zodak and Goddess) sold out in less than Mattel's expected sell-out times: 2-3 weeks. Zodak sold out 2 days before reaching the 2 week mark, and the Goddess sold out the day before making it to 2 weeks. How can sales be considered "poor" now?

Does your December 30th quote mean Zodak and Goddess were smaller runs than all other MOTUC figures?
    I think that this is a good example of stuff changing that we are not privy to.

Firstly, I do believe that what he said implies that the bonus figures had smaller runs than the regular figures. Consequently I don't think that it makes sense to compare their sales speeds directly to the regular figures (regardless of whether they are faster or slower) because if the numerical differences are large it is not comparing like things.

Secondly, look at the dates that you posted. Early on the line was basically unknown. Hence the slow sales of the figures. The sales speeds increased over time and relatively early on they had a projected window of 2-3 weeks because of the speed of the sales. The sales continued to increase and the amount of time that the figures were available for continued to drop. Logically this probably led to differences in planned storage times and whatnot. By the time GG came around, it was nearly a year after his 2-3 week comment. Did he make similar comments after that? I honestly can't say, but in the interrim it's not surprising that their views and expectations changed with the various changes in the economy, fan interest and sales. Should he have told us that they had changed their forecasted sales times? Maybe. But at the same time, he is not obligated to do so. However, more recently he has (with regards to the comments about making few figures above the subscription numbers and saying they don't expect them to take more than a day or so).

I agree that it is puzzling that GG's sales are now considered poor. But between his comment in late December and early February, the fiscal year ended. Who knows what happened since then? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a meeting around financial reporting season to talk about the line. Maybe when going over the numbers in more detail they looked at it and decided that in retrospect she was a poor seller. Once more, is he required or even allowed to tell us the full results of a meeting such as this?

Edit: I want to make it absolutely clear that I don't mean to sound like I know more about what is going on here as I read the exact same comments as everyone else. I'm just positing possible explanation for why these things might change over time.
    Last edited by Darth Latveria; February 11, 2010 at 03:06pm.

And sorry for spelling Illumina's name wrong. That was an honest mistake.
    Apology accepted, Toyguru. Though, can you explain why the MVC bible cannot be posted in light of this news? The bible is something we would like to see on this site, same as He-Ro Son of He-Man, and I think it's not clear why that should be withheld. If it's only about warding off questions about using the characters introduced within, I think that ship has sailed and will just have to be a recurring issue like Shadow Weaver and Goat Man and the rest. By the way, can have you make Shadow Weaver yet? Keep trying, don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBrett View Post
    In short, you can't tell me to not go on these forums if I don't like what I hear. Isn't this whole debate about something TG said that nobody wanted to hear? So by that logic, everybody should just not bother going on here because they aren't going to like what they see or hear.

That's the point I was trying to make.

If your head ain't spinning now I envy you!! LOL!
    It's not, but I think you've missed my point. When you say people should stop collecting if they're getting upset, it is the same as telling them not to look on the forums because it could also make them upset. Do you see what I'm saying? Since you agree with the latter, I think you would agree with the former.
    Last edited by gbagok; February 11, 2010 at 03:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post

It's not, but I think you've missed my point. When you say people should stop collecting if they're getting upset, it is the same as telling them not to look on the forums because it could also make them upset. Do you see what I'm saying? Since you agree with the latter, I think you would agree with the former.

I totally see what you are saying and I agree, it is the same essentially.

In essence, I guess I still like to go on here even if it's not what I want to hear, but I, myself, don't like getting stressed out about the toys too much. Not to change the subject, but I find that a lot of times in life, that somebody who I started out arguing with or being rivals with, usually ends up being somebody I almost always agree with. Isn't that funny how that works sometimes?

BTW, I'd love to get along with everybody on here and talk about He-Man toys all day long!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    This is related to my last post about the Goddess being a "poor seller" with the stats I posted. Here are some of your comments, Toyguru and I need clarification on them:
    Brilliant post!
    Thanks for compiling all of that in one post.

Here's what Toyguru had to say over at the Matty forums when asked about the changing sell-out targets:

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    Sorry, we can't go into this. But we can say the MOTUC line is doing very well.

TG

So basically, we're down to:

1) Subscribe, or likely miss out on every future figure
    2) No more obscure characters will be made unless they are "forced" on subcribers
    3) The Bonus Figures will be variants

Why does it feel like the line is simultaneously expanding and shrinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I agree that it is puzzling that GG's sales are now considered poor. But between his comment in late December and early February, the fiscal year ended. Who knows what happened since then? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a meeting around financial reporting season to talk about the line. Maybe when going over the numbers in more detail they looked at it and decided that in retrospect she was a poor seller. Once more, is he required or even allowed to tell us the full results of a meeting such as this?
    Then why not just say in retrospect she was deemed a poor seller

Its like we are having a conversation where we are only privvy to one third of it and expected to understand

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Why does it feel like the line is simultaneously expanding and shrinking?
    Seriously, I guess we can feel both good and bad at the same time..what a rollercoaster to be on
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Sad news about Illumina
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Early on the line was basically unknown. Hence the slow sales of the figures. The sales speeds increased over time and relatively early on they had a projected window of 2-3 weeks because of the speed of the sales. The sales continued to increase and the amount of time that the figures were available for continued to drop. Logically this probably led to differences in planned storage times and whatnot. By the time GG came around, it was nearly a year after his 2-3 week comment.
    I understand what you're saying, but, as I mentioned, the very first MOTUC figure was King Grayskull and he sold out in 7 hours.

These are some other key numbers:

Webstor: 6 days
    Teela: 4 days (rounded up 2 hours)

Webstor was a first-release, main villain, HUGELY wanted figure as he wasn't released in the 200X toyline. Zodak, a simple repaint took twice that time...when we already had a Zodac. That's not too bad!

The Goddess also had to compete with Re-Issue Skeletor, King Randor, the loads of other Matty toys that month as well as it being Christmas when people are the poorest!

Both figures still sold out under 2 weeks, even though both are just repaints with 1 new weapon. Which is still a faster sale than any other product on MattyCollector besides the MOTUC figures.

I'm not saying Matty should offer obscure bonus figures like this all the time, but it would be nice to see a few throughout the year instead of just getting A-list variants (He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, She-Ra, Catra, etc). I mean...how many versions of about 5 characters do we REALLY want?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Just to be clear, I don't have any issue with not getting an Illumina figure. We should be realistic enough to admit that she's really a far more obscure and less-demanded character than the Goddess who according to Toyguru's latest claims didn't meet Mattel's expectations. Considering the cult following the Goddess had, Illumina would be way off the radar for a long while.

My problem however is the fact that Mattel claims their own 200X comic licensee's work to be a fan pitch.
    I don't care if that term originated from Mattel legal, Mattel PR, Mattel brand management or Mattel housekeeping service. The fact remains that it's plain disrespectful and deserves a sincere apology that I haven found here yet.
    Not even mentioning the message this sends to any possible future licensee who might think twice if he wants to associate himself with a company that thinks so high about their licensees.

Additionally, if Mattel really and seriously regards MVCreations efforts on the comic as fan pitch and is not going to use it in any way, there is no reason at all for why Val and Emil ain't allowed to post their pitch online! It is just the work of a bunch of fans after all!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Co-Creator of the NV
    Then why not just say in retrospect she was deemed a poor seller

Its like we are having a conversation where we are only privvy to one third of it and expected to understand
    I think you bring up 2 good points.

Firstly, I think that maybe he should have used a qualifier such as "in retrospect". I'm not trying to explain his wording, I'm just pointing out that there might be reasonable explanations for the seemingly contradictory statements

Also, I think that the second part is actually true. I think he only tells us what he can and due to the nature of why things change he might not be allowed to tell us more. This can be very frustrating but I don't think it is something that can necessarily change.

I understand what you're saying, but, as I mentioned, the very first MOTUC figure was King Grayskull and he sold out in 7 hours.

These are some other key numbers:

Webstor: 6 days
    Teela: 4 days (rounded up 2 hours)

Webstor was a first-release, main villain, HUGELY wanted figure as he wasn't released in the 200X toyline. Zodak, a simple repaint took twice that time...when we already had a Zodac. That's not too bad!

The Goddess also had to compete with Re-Issue Skeletor, King Randor, the loads of other Matty toys that month as well as it being Christmas when people are the poorest!

Both figures still sold out under 2 weeks, even though both are just repaints with 1 new weapon. Which is still a faster sale than any other product on MattyCollector besides the MOTUC figures.

I'm not saying Matty should offer obscure bonus figures like this all the time, but it would be nice to see a few throughout the year instead of just getting A-list variants (He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, She-Ra, Catra, etc). I mean...how many versions of about 5 characters do we REALLY want?
    Like I said, I am just pointing out what some of their rationales for things could be. I obviously have no idea how the numbers actually stack up, but if we did that might be illustrative of certain things.

For instance, maybe Zodak and GG had a small fraction of the runs devoted to a main release like Webstor. We really can't say for sure if they did or not other than the fact that it sounds like there were less. If there were substantially less then the time taken to sell out might prove that they aren't worth the effort. As Arthur pointed out, they might have just been trying to get their feet wet and see what happens with a small test run. Then when studying the results, maybe they just didn't think it was feasible to ramp up the run sizes at this point in time. Truthfully we won't ever really know what their reasoning is but there are potential explanations.

As for wanting more characters, I agree. I've never been a fan of variants and I enjoy seeing new characters as opposed to different versions of the big names. But it seems that for now at least, from Mattel's perspective they aren't cost effective.

I think you bring up 2 good points.

Firstly, I think that maybe he should have used a qualifier such as "in retrospect". I'm not trying to explain his wording, I'm just pointing out that there might be reasonable explanations for the seemingly contradictory statements

Also, I think that the second part is actually true. I think he only tells us what he can and due to the nature of why things change he might not be allowed to tell us more. This can be very frustrating but I don't think it is something that can necessarily change.
    I agree, but then the point remains why even attempt to answer the question. If we are not allowed to know certain things then why tell us a smidge which will only confuse us because we can't be told the rest?

In other words, its like a comedian telling us a joke but only delivering the punchline. It does not benefit anyone here to only know a portion of the story then be told we cannot be told the portion that helps that story make sense...if that in fact made sense and was not just my frustrated ramblings

Co-Creator of the NV
    I agree, but then the point remains why even attempt to answer the question. If we are not allowed to know certain things then why tell us a smidge which will only confuse us because we can't be told the rest?

In other words, its like a comedian telling us a joke but only delivering the punchline. It does not benefit anyone here to only know a portion of the story then be told we cannot be told the portion that helps that story make sense...if that in fact made sense and was not just my frustrated ramblings
    I think what it might come down to is the fact that people want info and then he shares what he is told that he is allowed to share. It helps give people an idea of what is going on in the minds of Mattydom at the time the statement is made, which seems to make people happy. But those statements aren't necessarily things that will remain true indefinitely and when they change he might not be allowed to give us much detail as to the reasons for the change.

And on the whole SDCC vote thing on Panthor, can we give this one a rest? The vote was absolutely in favor of unflocked. It wouldn't matter to Mattel which way this went, but the vote was the vote. No one is trying to skew anything one way or another. We let the fans vote at SDCC and they did. You may not be happy with the way fans voted, but that does not change the results. Honestly, it would be nice if fans would refrain from spreading false information about the vote being different. Incorrect info does not help anyone!

We will do a flocked version too. But the first version will be unflocked per the SDCC vote.
    Toyguru, i'm sorry if I came off as rude in this matter. I simply remember the voting going differently than you do.

If that vote ultimately has no bearing on which version of Panthor ends up getting made then i'll gladly let it rest.

Thanks for everything you've done for the fans and the MOTU brand in general.

I think what it might come down to is the fact that people want info and then he shares what he is told that he is allowed to share. It helps give people an idea of what is going on in the minds of Mattydom at the time the statement is made, which seems to make people happy. But those statements aren't necessarily things that will remain true indefinitely and when they change he might not be allowed to give us much detail as to the reasons for the change.
    Mattel should hire you, you seem to able to convey what we "think" they are saying better than they actually do

This is related to my last post about the Goddess being a "poor seller" with the stats I posted. Here are some of your comments, Toyguru and I need clarification on them:
    I would REALLY like to see some clarification on this. How can a figure that sold out in less than 2 weeks be considered a "poor seller"!?!? Especially taking into account that she was a simple repaint of a figure we'd just received 2 months prior! Is any of that even taken into account when you look at these numbers?

Sallah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    From Mattycollector.com's forums:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/5321048995

A lot of fans are asking "how long Mattel wants a MOTUC figure to be on sale before selling out?". While we did comment a few months back that a 2-3 week window might be ideal, this is no longer the case.

We can't give an exact time frame, but what we can say is the MOTUC line is doing very well and if a figure does sell out quickly we will look into doing a second run down the line. There is no guarantee a figure will go into a second run, but in the long run we hope all fans will be able to buy the figures they need, whether in the first run or a re-release.

Hope that helps!

TG

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    I would REALLY like to see some clarification on this. How can a figure that sold out in less than 2 weeks be considered a "poor seller"!?!? Especially taking into account that she was a simple repaint of a figure we'd just received 2 months prior! Is any of that even taken into account when you look at these numbers?

Sallah
    I asked that in the new round of questions, but I don't know if it will get picked and I really doubt we'd get a good answer on it.

*Edit, didn't see the post above me, guess we did it at the same time*

I think that's a really crappy answer. Toyguru should have just said 'we'll make what we want and change the rules when we want' It's also clear that they aren't making enough figures, they never had, and they won't be making that much more above and beyond the subscription orders, so that's just another case of 'if you want it you have to sign the contract/get the sub and just shut up and take whatever we're willing to give you.'

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I asked that in the new round of questions, but I don't know if it will get picked and I really doubt we'd get a good answer on it.

*Edit, didn't see the post above me, guess we did it at the same time*

I think that's a really crappy answer. Toyguru should have just said 'we'll make what we want and change the rules when we want' It's also clear that they aren't making enough figures, they never had, and they won't be making that much more above and beyond the subscription orders, so that's just another case of 'if you want it you have to sign the contract/get the sub and just shut up and take whatever we're willing to give you.'
    Yep, what a difference a year makes, eh? To go from wanting them to stick around a month, to 2-3 weeks, to being disappointed in selling out less than 2 weeks, to only making enough to satisfy a few hours beyond the sub...

How come whenever it seems like we are going somewhere great with this license, somebody has to step in and put a jinx on it?

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    'we'll make what we want and change the rules when we want'
    'if you want it you have to sign the contract/get the sub and just shut up and take whatever we're willing to give you.'
    I would stand up and applaud if those were real answers, they would at least be honest

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Yep, what a difference a year makes, eh? To go from wanting them to stick around a month, to 2-3 weeks, to being disappointed in selling out less than 2 weeks, to only making enough to satisfy a few hours beyond the sub...

How come whenever it seems like we are going somewhere great with this license, somebody has to step in and put a jinx on it?

Sallah
    Can we chalk this up to corporate greed, then?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Can we chalk this up to corporate greed, then?
    Agreed. Totally. Seems those first sales made them see the dollar signs (especially in comparison to everything else at Matty) and they started overplaying their hand.

Sallah