Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.30!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    If you cannot take the heat get out of the fire, we are just thorough

I have said it before and I will say it again, people can complain all they want. I do not care if people think of us as ungrateful or whiney, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and nobody ever got anything done with making their voice heard.

If you want to see bad and evil check out the Facebook page, then you will see ungrateful hate mongering fans. We are cupcakes compared to that
    NO NO ....TRUST ME!!!! i am all about sqeaking...check out my mattel posts lol.

it is really about "squeaking" about important things like softer loinclothes rather than BCs paws for example.

i HAVE seen their facebook and it is atrocious and they must have good mods or are just lucky since there hasnt been a sale since their forums are tame-ish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    This is related to my last post about the Goddess being a "poor seller" with the stats I posted. Here are some of your comments, Toyguru and I need clarification on them:

So, the initial plan was for MOTUC figures to be available for a full month (31 days) and then changed to 2-3 weeks (14-21 days).

6 days into the sales of Zodak you mention he was selling "very well."
    Skeletor sold out 3 days less than the Goddess and he was selling out "faster than expected" and I think you were going for really, really well.

You said that Zodak and Goddess performed well on December 29th, but now you say sales were poor?

I'm very confused because BOTH figures (Zodak and Goddess) sold out in less than Mattel's expected sell-out times: 2-3 weeks. Zodak sold out 2 days before reaching the 2 week mark, and the Goddess sold out the day before making it to 2 weeks. How can sales be considered "poor" now?

Does your December 30th quote mean Zodak and Goddess were smaller runs than all other MOTUC figures?
    great post. REALLY puts things in perspective. if they ONCE said "our plans on what constitutes a great sell rate has changed" i think we would take things better.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Zodak and Goddess have sold out far faster than most of those "Gone for Good" entries from those other toylines. JLU and DCUC had figures that pegwarmed for 6 months. Zodak and Goddess for damn near two weeks.

I think Mattel saw dollar signs when figures started selling out in hours and now hold ALL characters to those standards.
    well to MATTEL'S benefit i bet they made WAAAAY more dc figs than MOTUC so even though GG sold faster she had less units to sell...likely 1000s less to sell.

but it IS true no coupon was needed to sell any MOTUC figures yet.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    And on the whole SDCC vote thing on Panthor, can we give this one a rest? The vote was absolutely in favor of unflocked. It wouldn't matter to Mattel which way this went, but the vote was the vote. No one is trying to skew anything one way or another. We let the fans vote at SDCC and they did. You may not be happy with the way fans voted, but that does not change the results. Honestly, it would be nice if fans would refrain from spreading false information about the vote being different.
    Spreading false information? Are you saying that someone deliberately faked the video posted here where we can actually hear that the majority voted for flocked?
    Awesome sticker included!

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    There is a good side here if this is a fan pitch: He-Man.org or MVC can do Illumina's staction (or AF) by themselves ...maybe including that secret bible together ( oh, excluding the parts already used by Mattel )
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

………… ________
    ……… / | \\___
    …… /........|-.... |.…..... o\
    ……… (@)-----------(@)-´

Movie mayhem!
    Ok... so this whole "fan pitched" thing could have come from the legal PR guys and not necessarily Toyguru? Is that what you are saying Toy Guru? Cause honestly I think that was what got fans upset the most and it wasn't totally addressed/clear in your post.

I think maybe just proof reading things better and being more careful about how you word things might help relations a little... and on fans side too as we all need to not just type and push send without really reading over what we've written. I just think that answer could have really benefited from some different wording. Wording that still was ok with Pr/legal, and not such a fire starter with fans. As I say this I'm sure my post is littered with typos and errors... granted i'm not a billion dollar company but still haha.

Anyway, maybe we should all lay off Toyguru a bit eh? He's the messenger in this situation and we keep burning him at the stake. Maybe we should just offer up constructive criticism about the situation with out personal attacks especially since i think personally attacking other members is against the board rules and he's still a member here and fan. That said I do really wish the calling things from MVC fan pitched thing would be addressed. I think the people behind that part of MOTU deserve a bit more respect/credit.

EDIT: Whilst you are visiting this thread TG... any way the matty site could get new battle cat pictures that don't have his armor sliding off of his butt? lol
    Last edited by Patreek; February 12, 2010 at 05:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    I thought that MOTU Classics was supposed to represent ALL eras of MOTU, so why are the MVCreations comics being treated with such disdain?
    Not trying to single out oICEMANo, but I notice this every so often and wanted to comment on it.

An era is a span of time. The work of MVCreations is part of the 2002-2007 era, just as the work of Mike Young Productions is part of that same era. The Four Horsemen worked during that era, and they're also working during this new era.

Also, I'm not trying to diminish what MVCreations did.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    ...why are Icons of Evil story elements singled out, but Vol 3 and the pitch are deemed off limits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Well, he's refering specifically to Illumina and not MVC as a whole. Plus a lot of what Icons of Evil actually did was expand the backstories of existing, popular villains. Those characters were going to be included in this line no matter what.

So, in that case, including those backstories from Icons of Evil in this line helps give a nod to MVC for those fans who are familiar with the comics.
    Those seemed like a couple good quotes to put one after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    ...I agree that it is puzzling that GG's sales are now considered poor. But between his comment in late December and early February, the fiscal year ended. Who knows what happened since then? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a meeting around financial reporting season to talk about the line. Maybe when going over the numbers in more detail they looked at it and decided that in retrospect she was a poor seller.
    I imagine the number of variables that would have to skyrocket out of control would have be absurd. Whoever budgeted that I imagine got sent to some accountant's office in Antarctica.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    We think much alike, Sallah. A figure that is a complete sell-out in two weeks is something I have a hard time seeing as a failure. The entire stock sold in less than a month. The entire stock. They sold the entire run in two weeks. I don't know what costs might be involved in holding onto the unsold stock per day, but that would have been figured in from the start, when they planned to have stocke for three to four weeks.

Something is majorly wrong with that picture.
    Then again, as no one seems to have pointed out (that I've seen) in the last year, Digital River is primarily a company that sells software; something they don't need as much physical room to actually process (picking orders, shipping, etc). So maybe their rates for that stuff are horrendous enough that Goddess actually cost quite a bit.

As I said before, that number counter is probably freezing and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Matty and He-Man fans are locked in an ever lasting battered wife syndrome metaphore.

No matter how badly Matty treats us, we complain yet we still give them our money and we ask for more. They deliever 10 problems yet only are willing to fix one and end it with 'we promise baby it will never happen again' leaving off the '... until we do it again.'

As long as Mattel knows they can get away with it they'll keep doing it.
    Well, I refuse to be one of those fans. After Digital River's horrible handling of one of my issues that ended up costing me over $250, I vowed I will not get another subscription (after this year's I had already committed to) if they're still doing order fulfillment. Any non-subscription figures I want I'll have a friend order for me, and even then, only figures I really, really like. I've also stopped asking for extras as birthday gifts I had intended for customs.

And after having a billing issue last month with Adora, I'm actually surprised I haven't just changed the card numbers on the couple of cards Digital River has on file for me to keep them from ever being able to charge anything to me ever again.

That, along with things like lack of Quality Control and availability, made it really easy for me to get rid of what little desire I had to be a completist, too.

Remember, Mattel needs us to buy the toys more than we need them to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    ...we've learned that Mattel was biting their nails with MOTUC's premier, and was potentially planning to fold things up as of Hordak.

But . . . the FANS (and ALL of them, not only subscribers!!! ) made it an unprecedented, smash success.
    To be fair, no one was a subscriber at that point.

I dont see the big deal or the 'insult' in matty not making a figure of Illumina. I would not mind a figure of her but cant say I care if we dont get her. She never seemed all that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I dont see the big deal or the 'insult' in matty not making a figure of Illumina. I would not mind a figure of her but cant say I care if we dont get her. She never seemed all that interesting.
    You missed the point
    There was nothing insulting in not making an Illumina figure.
    What bothered folks so much is the apparently downgrading of the entire MVC official licensed comic to "fan pitch"

I still dont find that insulting, except to the makers of the comic of course! But not to me as a fan.

Well it's highly insulting to me as a fan! I spent a lot of money getting all my comics to the UK, and the story's developed there in were some of the finest ever associated to the brand (IMO). People took what MVC were doing to heart, they understood the passion and hardwork that went into the comics, it was even more special for some, because it was professional artist's who were fans telling other fans the stories they wanted to hear, whilst giving MOTU the respect it truly deserved. For that to now all be totally ignored and downgraded is just wrong. We as fans owe MVC a lot, if I am not mistaken it's MVC who keep the org up and running for free, people have every right to be feeling very prickley right now. I wouldn't be supprised if there is a lot more going on here than many people know, but for one reasion or another Val & Emiliano can't say more! All I know is this, Val and Emiliano have never misinformed us but Mattel's story seems to change with the figure of the month! The very least Mattel could do if they are not going to use the MVC comic bible is let Val post it so they fan's who are passionate about the comic (and where it was going) can finally get closure they need. Mattel just sitting on the bible when they have no intention of ever using it is pointless, stubborn and crule IMO.
    Last edited by Angel-T; February 13, 2010 at 05:30pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Who knows, perhaps Mattel do intend to use the MVCreations bible, just not every single part of it. Certain elements may get left out (such as Illumina and Evil-Lyn's backstory) while others remain intact (Trap Jaw's IOE origin).

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Who knows, perhaps Mattel do intend to use the MVCreations bible, just not every single part of it. Certain elements may get left out (such as Illumina and Evil-Lyn's backstory) while others remain intact (Trap Jaw's IOE origin).
    If that's the case, I don't see why they can't just say it.
    They are already using elements from the bible, that's what confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    If that's the case, then they are not using Illumina because they don't want to rather than because of a legal reason (which would mean they're lying when they say it's for legal reasons). One would have to be very obtuse to not see why her fans would be angry with that state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    You missed the point
    There was nothing insulting in not making an Illumina figure.
    What bothered folks so much is the apparently downgrading of the entire MVC official licensed comic to "fan pitch"
    I was pretty teed off that they reduced all that MVC hard work into the Term "Fan Pitch". I'd like to pitch that guy out the window.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

I was wondering if the whole problem doesn't boil down to copyright issues.
    I could imagine that Mattel doesn't want to produce an Illumina figure becaue the character design and background story was created by Val and Emiliano and if Mattel produced a figure based on their designs that fear that Val and Emiliano might want to earn some money with it.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I was wondering if the whole problem doesn't boil down to copyright issues.
    I could imagine that Mattel doesn't want to produce an Illumina figure becaue the character design and background story was created by Val and Emiliano and if Mattel produced a figure based on their designs that fear that Val and Emiliano might want to earn some money with it.
    It can't be that, because we were working under a license,and all we produced became automatically property of Mattel.
    There is no way we could claim any money on Illumina or anything else, neitehr we want to, and we made that clear.
    What confuses me, is why Legal dept, says MVC story won't be used, while there are a few elements in the bio taken directly from our bible.
    We can't claim ownership on any of that, we'd just be happy if they would say they are indeed using some or give us at least an explanation on why they can't be used (but again they're using it!)

This is just pure speculation on my part, but maybe for Mattel and this particular venture it's not about who knows the most MOTU/POP/NA/200X history or who told the best story or who has the majority of official documents from days gone by to work from.

In my experience, there have been situations where team spirit is elevated above some of those things in an effort to give the new guy or girl a chance at getting some experience. Mattel probably has a new team who are eager to put their spin on this collector's property. That may be why they're only willing to use some ideas from the MVC comics. Also, if you will recall, a huge chunk of the bios were already finished before the line even started.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    It can't be that, because we were working under a license,and all we produced became automatically property of Mattel.
    There is no way we could claim any money on Illumina or anything else, neitehr we want to, and we made that clear.
    What confuses me, is why Legal dept, says MVC story won't be used, while there are a few elements in the bio taken directly from our bible.
    We can't claim ownership on any of that, we'd just be happy if they would say they are indeed using some or give us at least an explanation on why they can't be used (but again they're using it!)
    This is completely true. I was going to bring up the case of the designer who worked on the Barbie line for Mattel. Well, while he was working for Mattel, he came up with the "Bratz" line, used Barbie parts to create a mock-up and sold his first 5 characters or so to MGA. Well...since he worked for Mattel, all his designs and concepts were their property at the time...hence Mattel winning their multi-million dollar lawsuit against MGA. So, they own EVERYTHING MOTU related created or concepted by MVC for MOTU while they were working for Mattel, including Might-Bite...who they defitintely should make as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    This is just pure speculation on my part, but maybe for Mattel and this particular venture it's not about who knows the most MOTU/POP/NA/200X history or who told the best story or who has the majority of official documents from days gone by to work from.

In my experience, there have been situations where team spirit is elevated above some of those things in an effort to give the new guy or girl a chance at getting some experience. Mattel probably has a new team who are eager to put their spin on this collector's property. That may be why they're only willing to use some ideas from the MVC comics. Also, if you will recall, a huge chunk of the bios were already finished before the line even started.
    They could still work Illumina in there though. Even if they have to change her backstory a bit, throw her into a different timeline (Pre-Eternia, Wun-Dar's Eternia, current Eternia, Future Eternia, Etheria in Despondos, etc.).

OR they could just keep her story the same and make her a He-Man.org exclusive.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Pixel Dan will be at the NY Toy Fair, today, and he's supposed to interview Scott Neitlich (aka Toyguru)...

I wonder if this interview has been maintained and, if so, if Pixel Dan will ask some questions about the MVC "fan pitch" and Illumina issues.

It would be a good time to do so. We know there will be 4 new figures unveiled (that's IF what Toyguru said is still true, of course), but I think we shouldn't be blinded by the toys. There are OTHER important problems to deal with. Hope we'll learn more thanks to Pixel Dan...

I'm amazed they think Gygor isn't too obscure or confusing to make, but Illumina and her cat are.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'm amazed they think Gygor isn't too obscure or confusing to make, but Illumina and her cat are.
    Me too. There are a lot of fans who don't know who/what Gygor is and if he's good or bad. We really know more about Illumina than Gygor.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It's been brought up before, so I figured I'd address this as well.

JUST in case this is some issue of ownership rights?....where Mattel doesn't want to produced Illumina for fear we will sue them or something?

Well, as I've said on the forums before in years past, and as I said to Mattel in years past, we will sign over the rights to Illumina for free!
    We really don't care.

We automatically assume they own her anyway because of her comic appearance.

All Mattel Legal needs to do is draft up the paperwork, let my lawyer review it, and if it's all on the up-and-up? BOOM! Illumina and her cat is theirs, clean and clear.
    NO more confusion! (if this is the reason behind all of this)

Emiliano and I are very easy going fellows.
    Well... most of the time.

If Mattel would just give us the chance, they'd know this.
    Heck, I'll fly out there on my own Priceline dime just to have a friendly face-to-face.