Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.30!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    What Emiliano does right now in his profession should have no impact on the fact that MVC were Mattel licensees and had to receive approval from Mattel for their "fan ptiched" stories. There was no reason to slight them like Scott did, no valid reason at all given the humongous black hole of confusion the MOTUC bios make (collect them all to make some damn sense out of the story, but its not confusing)
    No, I was talking about why they probably never look at hiring him to do the bios.

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    No, I was talking about why they probably never look at hiring him to do the bios.
    Well it should be obvious from the bios themselves that Mattel did not even think twice about hiring anyone familiar with the mythos. I had little love for the bios are they were. Now I have nothing but disdain since its obvious that the people behind it just do not understand the history MOTU has had, a history which MVC was a very large part of (just as much as say Jack's New Adventures work).

Does anybody else find it ironic that MVC has now been reduced to some indie fans, when the choice for licensees came from Mattel. Scott is essentially speaking negatively about a decision his company made, great business there I guess
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm pleased about the Keldor answer! It certainly sounds like he's on his way!

That said, the Illumina answer was really bad! Perhaps it's the MOTUC creative team that can't wrap their heads around her story. As this is an adult line, I'd think we'd be given a bit more credit.

And don't get me started on the "fan pitch" thing(espescially since Emeliano and Val were considered just a tad bit more than fans during that period). Wun-Dar can't even be confirmed as ever being more than a myth started ages ago. Then they not only make an action figure out of him, but also create a bio of their very own for him. Illumina should be easy.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a dedicated fan of the MOTU property.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by skeletom View Post
    Wun-Dar can't even be confirmed as ever being more than a myth started ages ago. Then they not only make an action figure out of him, but also create a bio of their very own for him. Illumina should be easy.
    I had not even thought about that

Seriously, they made a figure and a bio for a toy that nobody can confirm actually exists but a character from the comic book line is too hard.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

OK first I have to start off by saying that with out Val, Emiliano, Adam Tyner and countless others who work on the .org there would be no MOTUC. Heck with out them there may not have even been a brief 200X revival. Because of this site MOTU lives on! You would think the great minds at Mattel would realize this and ask for more of their input.

For TG to disrespect them by referring to them as MVP (twice) and calling there "complex" stories "fan pitch" is not only unprofessional but it's borderline childish. I for one loved the stories they put out and think Mattel messed the whole thing up back in 200X by blocking the series bible from going through. This proves the insecurity on Mattel's part. They are afraid that some one will make them look silly by taking there best boys product and succeed with it where they have failed so many times. If TG is such a big MOTU fan he should be begging MVCreations for ideas and stories.

As for the comics being out of print, are you kidding me? What about all the other MOTU media that the new bios are being drawn from? And where the hell did Demo-Man come from? I guess that was Mattel listening to the fans who wanted something new in the line. At least if they got some ideas from the MVC comic it would make sense. Last time I checked you could not walk into any store and find some MOTU related media.

I hope Mattel realizes they are starting to bite the hand that feeds them. I'm beginning to think they let the early success of MOTUC go to their heads and they think they know how to run a line. Remember Mattel this is a line you have killed off numerous times. In case you forgot I'm referring to the original line, New Adventures, Commemorative, 200X, and NECA.

Please don't let your stupidity and shortsightedness bring MOTUC to an early end. You have a great group of people to draw from on this site. I hope you don't alienate this community here and try to drive everyone to the control of your Matty Collector forums.

I just don't like the vibes Mattel is starting to put out for this line. Any time I hear a company say that great stories do not fit in with the current direction of the franchise, I get nervous.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I'm actually quite cool with their decision. I like how it "seems" they want to keep things kind of 80s simple (if that makes any sense.)

MOTUC in its current form has a cool innocent vibe too it IMO. I'm really enjoying it as it's being vaguely fleshed out leaving a huge amount to the imagination... and I really like that TG is blunt with the answer too. No guessing.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

I had not even thought about that

Seriously, they made a figure and a bio for a toy that nobody can confirm actually exists but a character from the comic book line is too hard.
    They did it with 'Green' Goddess as well. Technically she was never a figure and I'm sorry but First there's Green Goddess, then she's suddenly pale skinned and just Goddess, then she's Sorceress, then she's Teela, then Teela is a clone of Sorceress, then Teela is her daughter but then she's the future sorceress too. Illumina's backstory is more confusing than *THAT?*

Well it should be obvious from the bios themselves that Mattel did not even think twice about hiring anyone familiar with the mythos. I had little love for the bios are they were. Now I have nothing but disdain since its obvious that the people behind it just do not understand the history MOTU has had, a history which MVC was a very large part of.

Does anybody else find it ironic that MVC has now been reduced to some indie fans, when the choice for licensees came from Mattel. Scott is essentially speaking negatively about a decision his company made, great business there I guess
    Like someone else said in this thread about the bios: some are good and some are...huh? He-Man's bio is weird to me, because it sounds like Adam wore the techno-vest and in MAA's bio - Adam used the techno sword. It's weird sounding almost like he wasn't He-Man until he got both halves of the sword. I really believe with talent such as Emiliano, Val and even Olesker they would have had an all-star writing team to accompany an all-star sculpting team. That would be "Classic"! We would probably have a pretty well put together story. As for now I will wait until allthe crucial character bios are out before I give my full opinion on the story they created with this line. I feel kind of bad considering I never read any of the MVC stuff as I don't really like most of the licensed comics and I don't have much love for the 200X stuff either. Trust me I'm trying just gotta get over the voice-acting and the figures odd poses.

You know I read all of this, sitting here to try and formulate a proper response to Mattel and Toyguru, but what has been said so far has pretty much covered it. And too think Toyguru started out here as a normal poster, one of us, what made him change into such a spiteful person. This whole 'fan pitch' nonsense just makes Toyguru look foolish, and makes Mattel seem even worse. Honestly this is not the way to handle a fan base. And if Mattel seriously knew what was in their best interests they would offer some form of apology. I don't see this line lasting much past this year with these type of people in charge, what with this past months of problems with Mattel on my end and so many others, and I still have gotten no confirmation that anything was indeed fixed past that call. I really do not know if I want to give Mattel my business anymore honestly on any front. This one remark to the fan base, to Val and Emiliano, whom I have known for years, and are friends, is just unforgivable.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    They did it with 'Green' Goddess as well. Technically she was never a figure and I'm sorry but First there's Green Goddess, then she's suddenly pale skinned and just Goddess, then she's Sorceress, then she's Teela, then Teela is a clone of Sorceress, then Teela is her daughter but then she's the future sorceress too. Illumina's backstory is more confusing than *THAT?*
    Yes, the reasoning behind this is just mind blowingly amusing to me!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    I'm actually quite cool with their decision. I like how it "seems" they want to keep things kind of 80s simple (if that makes any sense.)
    Does 80's simple mean it makes next to no sense on its own and you are required to own upwards of 30 different stories to get the overall story? I guess thinking in terms of how 80's toys were a collect them all bonanza for cash then you have a point.

MOTUC in its current form has a cool innocent vibe too it IMO. I'm really enjoying it as it's being vaguely fleshed out leaving a huge amount to the imagination... and I really like that TG is blunt with the answer too. No guessing.
    Wow.... Well, I guess statistically, somebody has got to be in TG's corner.

Does 80's simple mean it makes next to no sense on its own and you are required to own upwards of 30 different stories to get the overall story? I guess thinking in terms of how 80's toys were a collect them all bonanza for cash then you have a point.
    Yeah, how is this "80's simple", when they've opted to include characters and stories that were not from the 80's?

Every other 80's franchise (GIJoe, TF's, Star Wars) has grown in different ways (some for better or worse, as in the case of TF's, IMO). New characters, new additions to the continuity.... All except MOTU.

It's like Mattel wants MOTU to remain stagnant.

Wow, that is a little rude, I'd say.

"Fan pitch"... c'mon....
    Bill :: guitargod694

The whole Illumina thing is disappointing but moreso is the reasoning behind it. You guys have thoroughly covered why in this thread so I won't waste time on that. I will say however (also noted by the rest of you.) Toyguru's answer to the Illumina question is silly and comes across as rude. This isn't the first time that Toyguru has been rude, the last time he did it I was hoping for a small apology as a courtesy but it didn't come. To be honest, that would be the sensible thing to do now too but it won't happen, I honestly don't think they care.

I'm not sure Toyguru is the right guy to head MOTUC anymore. I know that a lot of people were vocal about TG staying around when rumors of Mike Wilde taking over were swirling, but the longer this thing goes I'm not sure that another person in charge would be a bad thing. I'm not trying to be insulting, I just want this line to thrive but the current people seem to be driving it in the wrong direction.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

I guess I just view the line differently than you all do. It really does seem simpler to me than the MVC stories (Keldor and Evil-Lyn time travel, etc.). It's not as fleshed out and I like it like that. It has this sense of innocence in the overall scheme and from a nostalgic point of view, I'm really enjoying that. They're not ignoring everything but they're taking what they believe works (and I'm right there with them - so far )

I'm not knocking Val or Emil, they did great work on the comic(s) but I am just really enjoying what's being presented "so far". I'm not on anybody's side but my own with my opinion and as of right now it coincides with TGs on the matter (I'm still 100% against a Mo-Larr if that far-fetched rumour is true...)
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar

I love the MOTUC bios and the story thus far. I'm really enjoying them actually. I TRULY love that Mattel is trying to blend everything together. From day one this has been what we've been told to expect. Let me be clear, I'm not looking to have the "pitched" story become this canon. I'm enjoying the simplicity too and I think that if that story was going to be this line's canon, that opportunity has passed.

Because Val and Emiliano can't post the story here, many of us were under the assumption that Illumina and her story is owned by Mattel. With this assumption it is easy to understand the perception that she might be considered and potentially reworked a bit to fit into MOTUC. Like Wun-Dar, De-Mo Man, The Goddess, and He-Ro have. In fact it would have been a GREAT nod of appreciation to this community had that happened.

Blunt and disrespect don't have to go hand in hand. A simple "At this time we are not considering Illumina for the MOTUC story" would have been blunt and not disrespectful. Even "Mattel does not own the story or the character of Illumina, while pitched, it was rejected by Mattel for a variety of reasons" - then at the very least if the creators of this "rejected pitch" felt inclined they could post it here for anyone interested to enjoy.

Look, I'm trying to assume positive intent on TG part and that no disrespect was meant on his answer and he could clear this up real quick if he'd pop over and post.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Can't quite let this one pass, as it touches on a sore spot with me:

Although Illumina does appear on a few panels in the MVP comic series, her larger backstory was part of a fan pitch that was ultimately deemed too complicated for publication.
    The grumpy old dragon's memory isn't what it used to be, but I thought everything with Illumina and all the other things in the comics were conceived by Val, Emiliano and company. It's hardly a "fan pitch" when the folks doing the official licensed comic book come up with concepts for said book.

The "too complicated" bit must have been the general buzz at Mattel back then, as well (and this is where the sore spot comes in). I remember the word spreading about a big epic in the comics that would bring He-Ro and a lot of other things into the 2002 continuity, and the things I was seeing and hearing made me more excited for the comic than the TV series. Then I see Mattel bring down the hammer and basically straight-jacket the MVCreations crew, saying only characters already shown in the toon could be used (and I believe the restrictions were exterme, from everything I heard at the time). I'd seen the same thing happen with the DC Star Trek books years before, taking some really good Trek tales with interesting new characters and flushing them out the airlock. I know the company owns the property, but hamstringing the creators in this way makes it nearly impossible to tell new, engrossing stories (imagine DC telling Warner Brothers Aniamation they couldn't create new characters, like Harley Quinn, and how much poorer the property as a whole would be for such a stance) It's a bad situation when you have to list Mattel Legal as the co-writer.

Mattel has, over the years, not given Val, Emiliano and the other folks at MVCreations their due, in my eyes, and, as in this case, actually seems intent on deriding their contribution to the MOTU mythos. Me, I usually found the comics stories as enjoyable if not moreso than the toon (especially since He-Man actually had a personality in the comics), and I'm a bit ticked that Mattel still seems intent on belittling the folks who gave us some great comics.

Sorry for the venting, but this answer really rubs me the wrong way.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Every other 80's franchise (GIJoe, TF's, Star Wars) has grown in different ways (some for better or worse, as in the case of TF's, IMO). New characters, new additions to the continuity.... All except MOTU.

It's like Mattel wants MOTU to remain stagnant.
    I don't think Mattel wants MOTU to remain stagnant.

They included everything BUT MVC characters created for the mythos. We've got POP (Adora), NA (Optikk), Pre-Filmation (The Goddess), Powers of Grayskull (He-Ro), 200X (Zodak), even DC Comics (Superman vs pack).

They used Icons of Evil in the bios and that's an "out of print" MVC comic...maybe something changed along the way?

I wish we knew the whole story here.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I say we give Toyguru some time to clarify his answer. So put down the torches and pitchforks for now. With the Toy Fair coming up this weekend he might actually be a bit too busy. I'm not trying to be his defender but give him some time and I think he will apologize if it's deemed necessary and explain his answer clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    Blunt and disrespect don't have to go hand in hand. A simple "At this time we are not considering Illumina for the MOTUC story" would have been blunt and not disrespectful. Even "Mattel does not own the story or the character of Illumina, while pitched, it was rejected by Mattel for a variety of reasons" - then at the very least if the creators of this "rejected pitch" felt inclined they could post it here for anyone interested to enjoy.

Look, I'm trying to assume positive intent on TG part and that no disrespect was meant on his answer and he could clear this up real quick if he'd pop over and post.
    Exactly, blunt and rude are not the same thing. This has been a problem with Scott from the beginning and we could fill a thread with the multiple posts that prove this.

I assume no positive intent besides to bite the hand that feeds them yet again, we saw it before with the multiple stances on bonus figures (again most of us understood the intent but Scott needs some serious PR training to be able to give an answer that is not condescending).

Very insulting answer to question 5. Getting the name wrong for a start, I mean come on! Story to complicated, well Mattle's Bio writers could take some lessons from MVC, honestly most of your bio's are so bad and you'd do well to let the fans write them. If the material is out of print then reprint the TPB's (or even let MVC do new comics or the original planned vol3) and broaden the character pool. Fan pitch! you mean like the one the 4HM did? Illumina and her cat would be very easy bonus figures or exclusives to do using the Teela and Battle Cat sculpts.

Great way to shoot your self in the foot Matty.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I say we give Toyguru some time to clarify his answer. So put down the torches and pitchforks for now. With the Toy Fair coming up this weekend he might actually be a bit too busy. I'm not trying to be his defender but give him some time and I think he will apologize if it's deemed necessary and explain his answer clearly.
    I don't think there are no pitchforks up.

But that answer was just rude and terrible, considering all the blood, sweat and tears Val, Emiliano and everyone put into those comics, even with all the legal obstacles Mattel was throwing their way. I'm surprised Scott didn't remember this back then, since he was one of us.

MVC was doing He-Man comics for CrossGen...Image! Real comic book companies...fan pitch indeed. It just blows the mind.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

It does not stop Scott from posting at the MattyCollector forums. If he really wants to clarify anything he can pop here on for 2min it would take.

Like I said before this is just another instance in a long line of the same thing, he has been condescending at various points for at least the last 3 months.

Which imho is fine if that is where he wants to take things, however being the main fan site for the property he could use this thing called tact. It is one thing to not want to have anything to do with MVC work or this site in general. You dont have to be an ass about it, why even answer the question if you are going to get the names wrong (no excuse for that, C and P are very far apart keyboard wise) and how exactly do you spin positively "fan pitch"?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I don't think Mattel wants MOTU to remain stagnant.
    We'll have to agree to disagree here, then.

They included everything BUT MVC characters created for the mythos.
    True, they did, but....

We've got POP (Adora), NA (Optikk), Pre-Filmation (The Goddess), Powers of Grayskull (He-Ro), 200X (Zodak), even DC Comics (Superman vs pack).
    This is why the blackballing of MVC seems counterintuitive, especially for the reasons that TG gave.

They used Icons of Evil in the bios and that's an "out of print" MVC comic...maybe something changed along the way?

I wish we knew the whole story here.
    The reason why I'm calling stagnation, is because Mattel seems to fight itself and its fans every step of the way. Every other line that still survives from the 80's continues to thrive correctly (TV, comic, movie, and video game presence), except Mattel's MOTU.

HamStrining (as someone here called it) the only comic company that was handling MOTU is stagnation. We don't really know the reason why the MYP (which was VERY successful) toon was stopped (Mattel is once again tight-lipped about it), but the fact that is stopped is another example of stagnation.

It just doesn't make sense why they would even bother with the line, if they are only gonna half-@$$ with it.

Everyone's already provided tactful well-thought responses to ToyGuru's rude answer, so I'm just going to say that I think he consistently comes across as disrespectful and scornful. Seriously, ***?! There was absolutely no reason to slight MVC. This is another example of Mattel's poor attitude towards the people who buy their products.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"