Thread: Fixing slight paint error by yourself

Fixing slight paint error by yourself

I have quite long experience painting miniatures and such in the past, and I thought I might as well do some fix up on few of the characters where paintwork could use some improvement. However I do not know what sort of paints match with MOTUC.

I remember there has been some discussion about this in the past, in middle of some threads, but I couldn't find thread dedicated to the painting.

What I was hoping is to get some tips about paint brands and equipment used by the community. What sort of paints are they using anyway at the factory?

I'm currently using Folk Art acrylics...they come in small bottles for about$1.50 and come in hundreds of colors, even metallics.

They coat really, really well, and dry flat. They also make a water based gloss you can mix with any color to get different semi-gloss sheens, or top coat the dry colors for a glossy finish.

Many of the colors are a straight up perfect match right out of the bottle.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

How do they hold on the surface, do you undercoat it usually or just apply straight on?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I'm currently using Folk Art acrylics...they come in small bottles for about$1.50 and come in hundreds of colors, even metallics.

They coat really, really well, and dry flat. They also make a water based gloss you can mix with any color to get different semi-gloss sheens, or top coat the dry colors for a glossy finish.

Many of the colors are a straight up perfect match right out of the bottle.
    Personally, the craft store paints don't work very well for me. I only resort to them when I need a color I can't find easily at hobby stores. I use Games Workshop paints. I know a lot of people have plenty of luck with with craft paints but they just aren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    How do they hold on the surface, do you undercoat it usually or just apply straight on?
    I put them straight on. They are permanent on canvas, and as long as you use a sealer like Testors dullcoat, they hold up very well.

Obviously some brands are better than others. I used to use Delta Ceramcoat, but switched to Folk Art. They are superior quality in every way.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

A small corner of Hordeworld called Oddville
    I use the craft paints as well, including Folk Art, all of my customs are done with them. I think they work fine.
    For best results, wash the figure, this will make sure all the mold release agent is removed from the factory. Primer if you can, then when you are finished, apply at least 1 - 3 coats of sealant.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    excellent! i've wanted to know the same.

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    I let this one stay open for a bit since this question does come up a lot, but paints etc are all covered in the Custom Tips and Trick thread, at the top of the forum in the very first post.

In the future please use the search feature and if there is something you'd like to see added or merged with that thread please PM myself or Son Of Keldor.
    Thanks!