Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #9 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #9 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

The last day of the year ends with a new artist! But is he an improvement or disappointment?

Oh, and there is that whole quest thing that King Randor and the Masters have embarked upon. Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery...UNIVERSE_9.jpg

The last day of the year ends with a new artist! But is he an improvement or disappointment?

Oh, and there is that whole quest thing that King Randor and the Masters have embarked upon. Discuss!
    I thought the art in this was 100% better than the previous issue which came across as scribbling IMO. As far as the story goes...dare I say it...I like the DC crossover story a lot more.

I did like the multi-dimensional "backwards" aspect to it though...and

Mossman decaying
    was pretty cool to see.

I really like the new art style, it's endlessly better than the scratchy lines of the last few issues. However, this issue was kind of boring to me. I understand it was important to have this battle before what happens next, but I kept hoping something else would happen before the issue ended.

I liked it! The art was way better than the last couple, and the story and dialog had a very epic tone. Eternia feels old with a rich and mystical history. I hope it continues in this direction.

I thought the art was very nice, vibrant and colorful. The characters were pretty well rendered as well. It's an improvement IMO and I'd be happy with this going forward. The issue is mostly battle, but the Zoar part is interesting.
    Hey Matty, finish my Battle Ram, please!

Quite good. Inb4 "omg y Teela such a jerk", it's obvious that she is going to go through a lot and undergo personal strife and growth.

Loved this issue.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Is it just me or did seem the cut the issue short?

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Quite good. Inb4 "omg y Teela such a jerk", it's obvious that she is going to go through a lot and undergo personal strife and growth.
    Teela hasn't been a jerk since issue#6. And that's because she isn't being written by Giffen.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Court Magician
    Good stuff. The art was good and fits with MOTU. This issue did seem a little stunted though.

I am freaking OVERJOYED the old artist is gone. Even though I'm not in love with the new art, though I wouldn't say I have a problem with it, either.

The script continues to be great; hopefully they keep this guy and take Geffen off the project altogether.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Didn't the appearance of the Rock Men seem odd? In the scene that they first appeared, they were right upon Stratos, Teela and Moss Man. After a brief scene with He-Man and Randor, the Rock Men who were immediately a threat are gone.

I was hoping that Stratos steps up and we get some characterization for him. Nice to get some confirmation that he uses his wings to slash his enemies.

He-Man took Teela's apparent demise rather badly...

The art is leaps and bounds better! DC needs to keep this creative team! I hope the sales numbers reflect this, but that terrible cover might prevent that.

Teela hasn't been a jerk since issue#6. And that's because she isn't being written by Giffen.
    Didn't the appearance of the Rock Men seem odd? In the scene that they first appeared, they were right upon Stratos, Teela and Moss Man. After a brief scene with He-Man and Randor, the Rock Men who were immediately a threat are gone.

I was hoping that Stratos steps up and we get some characterization for him. Nice to get some confirmation that he uses his wings to slash his enemies.

He-Man took Teela's apparent demise rather badly...

The art is leaps and bounds better! DC needs to keep this creative team! I hope the sales numbers reflect this, but that terrible cover might prevent that.
    She was kind of dismissive of Moss Man's situation.

The Rock Men could have been a deleted scene entirely, but they looked neat.

Stratos seemed like Eternia's version of a superhero, but it's nice to get confirmation that he's still King of Avion. Maybe it was mentioned before, I don't remember.

Apropos of nothing, I wish they'd rename Randor's kingdom to Eternos or something... There's a dimension of Eternia, planet of Eternia, and Kingdom of Eternia. It gets kind of confusing.

It's a bit saddening to me that people can't seem to enjoy a narrative if its visuals are not polished to complete blandness and will even applaud the weaker narrative because of said polished visuals over the stronger story.

While I wasn't nescessarily a "fan" of the last issues' artworks, they at least had some personality and were indeed fitting the content of their respective stories: turmoil, confusion, hopelessness and desparation in a figt to simply stay alive - the artwork underlined the general feeling of the story told. In the current issue, we get polished & bland (yet "aesthetically appealing", no doubt) visuals and a story that is - apart from 3 or 4 panels - a complete filler, without anything really happening (again: apart from 3 or 4 panels). And people start heaping praise on that issue. I just don't get it, I'm afraid. To me, this was one of the weakest and most uninteresting issues of both series so far.
    Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment.

Who is this "Adam" you keep mentioning?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hy-Man View Post
    It's a bit saddening to me that people can't seem to enjoy a narrative if its visuals are not polished to complete blandness and will even applaud the weaker narrative because of said polished visuals over the stronger story.
    I see it as a difference between Comics and Novels. Comics are a visual medium and therefore the visual has to be pleasing. I have to enjoy what I'm looking at if I'm going to buy the book...

As such I have not been buying this series. The redesigns and the artwork did not work for me.

NOVELS are all about the story and character depth and intricate themes. Many a comic has been ruined for me based on art I do not care for.

I'm a firm believer in knowing what medium your working with. If it's a visual medium than yeah... the visual matters.

@ phantom1592: So I take it you've never read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns"?

Not that I don't understand we're you're coming from, I'm just saying you're depriving yourself of some of the most enjoyable narratives out there, be they comics or movies. I DO fully understand not delving deeper into it if visuals AND content are equally weak - though that doesn't seem to mirror the general consensus either, given that Rob Liefeld became one of the industry's biggest and bestselling stars...
    Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment.

Who is this "Adam" you keep mentioning?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hy-Man View Post
    @ phantom1592: So I take it you've never read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns"?

Not that I don't understand we're you're coming from, I'm just saying you're depriving yourself of some of the most enjoyable narratives out there, be they comics or movies. I DO fully understand not delving deeper into it if visuals AND content are equally weak - though that doesn't seem to mirror the general consensus either, given that Rob Liefeld became one of the industry's biggest and bestselling stars...
    DKR tends to have me very divided.

On the one hand, I loved the first issue and thought the whole thing was interesting the first time I read it... but as the years go by, it feels extremely overrated to me. While I love the 'batman comes out of retirment' story... the mutants and superman and joker aspects... I can't even read that part anymore. I usually put my trade away after the two face segment.

Never got mine yet....
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Just read it, I really enjoy the new art. Some panels are simply beautiful. The story is seemingly rounding into shape, some depth to the characters and the setting.

I liked the idea behind Mossy's issue and the visuals were handled very well.
    I love the old world speech pattern of Randor and Mossy, the old guard. It appears the younger Masters aren't beholden to that style of speaking.

Another solid issue IMHO

While the art was 100% better than the last issue,this was still a weak story that they in all honesty have no idea in which direction it's going.The whole story with subternian circles,just lets them play out a circle every issue,which is probably why the end of this issue had 9 pages of adverts at the end,9.So did they not have enough art or story to fill this issue towards the back pages.
    The only plus this had for me was the art being better and the way Moss Mans lack of life sees him fade away not just die(art work was good and you could almost see him drain away),but again they are playing with writing off another character.
    If i buy issue ten then it will be from curiosity rather than the fact it's a Motu comic and i have to have it,really not feeling the storyline and in all honesty can't really say i've enjoyed it.

Beautiful art. I feel like the character redesigns really looked solid for once, and therefore more palatable than they have been in past issues. Overall though, this issue felt shorter content-wise than a classic mini-comic! Why were there almost more ads than anything else in this issue? Waiting another month is annoying when the current issue's story can just be condensed into three sentences
    Here's hoping for more meat in the next one, to go with the art!
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    What the hell happened with the Rock Men? It was like they were right on top of Stratos and Teela and then in the next page they are carrying Moss Man saying they were gaining on them. It didn't make sense...
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Deleted scene (insert your imagination, it's cheaper for DC!).
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

I got this in the mail yesterday. The art is a vast improvement. The story is decent enough; I may renew my subscription for the title.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

I enjoyed the art of this issue a lot, so colorful, stylized and vibrant! As for the story, not much really has happened since the last one!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.