Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Official discussion thread for those who are considering quitting or will quit MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    I feel the same way. It's not exciting to see what new figures are coming out when I know that they'll sell out in a matter of minutes. The line is really expensive, but I'm willing to pay for the figures that I really want. Too bad I can never get those figures. I've decided that the only figure that I will try to get off mattycollector.com is She-Ra. Otherwise, any other character that I want, I'll try to get off ebay (if I can get it for less than what it costs me on matty, which I have been able to do for a couple of figures).

Nope! I love MOTU. Always have. Probably always will.

Nothing Matty does by way of sales strategy could change my outlook.

While I don't prefer the idea of using Ebay I had to do that as an adult to complete my vintage collection. In some ways buying off the net helped to emphasise the collecting nature of this activity. There was NO OTHER way to secure Laser Light He-Man, Tytus, Tyrantisaurus or Megator!

As an Australian I had to buy online to get ALL the 200x figures and ebay for chase and Exclusive versions.

I have a sub and plan to wait for re-releases for Battle Cat and an extra display Moss Man, but if I ultimately have to resort to Ebay, then I will, because I want to collect all the figures and continue my love of MOTU.

Unfortunatly for me i can never quit. I have money that will enable me to go to other sources then Matty if needed. Not that I am boosting about it. I'm not at all. Im just saying that it does suck that I am that dedicated to this line to be able to still collect it even if I get them from the secondary market. But I do love this line and MOTU so I will stick around, unless it gets crazy outta hand then I would have to reconsider.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    I stopped collecting, not because of the ordering issues, I have multiple subscriptions, so I never miss out on a figure, but I just don't know what I will do with all of them. They were in a box, and I didn't see a time when I would actually display them, or really have the space to display 122 figures, plus the other beasts that are planned for the duration of this line, plus as much as I loved the show as a kid, there were only a few of the characters that I really loved, and they have only made two of them to date (Hordak and Webstor) so with the price of these figures being 30 by the time shipping and handling is factored in, I just can't be a completest just to be a completest. I will follow the line, and when the remainder of the Horde comes out, as well characters like Two-bad, Stinkor, Man-E-Faces, and Fisto I am sure I will buy them, but for now I am not going stress over the line anymore, and I would not blame anyone that didn't get a subscription from wanting to quite. There is no real excuse for a figure selling out in a minute, and causing people to have to use eBay as a method to complete their line. I do think though that it will get better, and hopefully if the line does last for the whole planned timeframe all the issues will be resolved, and everyone will be able to get the figures they want within a realistic timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    It just becomes a huge waste of money. Long story short, its not all that exciting to me anymore and I think I'm ready to call it quits.
    I'm right there with you.

Also, the original eight back characters have been released. I think the Horsemen did the best with those by a landslide (mostly due I think to the strong card back art influence), and those are the characters that I have the fondest memories of anyway. So, I'm satisfied. I've picked up a few of the others such as Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw. Evil-Lyn will be my last purchase from the line. Her availability will be worse than Moss Man, but if I have to go to e-bay in order to get that one figure and cap it off, then so be it. It's a shame that anyone should have to do that at all though. Product should last more than two or three minutes. There's no excuse in the world for that at this juncture. None. The subscription isn't the end all be all solution that Mattel thinks it is, and honestly I don't see the line lasting too far into the future if the mismanagement continues. A year or so maybe.

I thought about continuing and picking up a few of the other higher tiered characters, such as Ram Man and Man-E-Faces, but in the end it's just not an enjoyable experience anymore, and I don't want the toys enough to endure the availability issues. For the high price point, it isn't worth it either. I feel bad for the customers though that are trying to obtain all the releases. For the amount of money that Mattel will be asking for a 2011 subscription though... sheesh, I mean- people are making films and entering them into film festivals on budgets of $500 to $600. I'd rather create something with that money/ be creative in some way with it, or own a really, really nice piece of art that's one of a kind. Or travel.

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Also, the original eight back characters have been released. I think the Horsemen did the best with those by a landslide (mostly due I think to the strong card back art influence), and those are the characters that I have the fondest memories of anyway. So, I'm satisfied.
    I kind of feel the same way. Once I had Teela, feelings of "completeness" started setting in, and now with the 8-back, plus Goddess and Battlecat, and all of them lined up on Grayskull stands, it kind of feels complete when I look at it.
    Ideally I'd like to collect the remaining characters I like from the first few original waves, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    For the amount of money that Mattel will be asking for a 2011 subscription though... sheesh, I mean- people are making films and entering them into film festivals on budgets of $500 to $600. I'd rather create something with that money/ be creative in some way with it, or own a really, really nice piece of art that's one of a kind. Or travel.
    A great point. One that will be lost on many here though, I think. This is a forum of hardcore collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    One that will be lost on many here though, I think. This is a forum of hardcore collectors.
    Lol, I agree. It just blows my mind...

A short while back, there was a decent selection of concept art from the original MOTU live action film on eBay. Maybe some pieces are still up for grabs. I managed to snag an early rendering of the Grayskull throne room for around $50. Many are spending well over that amount though on a mass produced Moss Man toy, which doesn't even come close to that amazing prototype that the Horsemen did. To each their own!

With every passing month, the likelyhood of me quitting this pain in the ass line grows. Every month is nothing but increasing aggro and honestly..i don't think Mattel gives a flying hoot about it, at least not enough to actually do what has to be done to resolve the issues.
    So screw 'em. I lay the blame for everybody who leaves this line squarely at Mattels 2 left feet, and i may be joining them sooner rather than later.
    April is a big deal for me. We'll see what happens.Until then i'm hanging fire.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    If not for BBTS i would have already quit. I have a pretty flexable job, but I can't always guarantee i'll be sitting in front of my computer on a given day at a given hour. And with these sell outs, forget it. But since I am paying so much for each figure, through BBTS I'm just completing a core filmation cast. Which includes no one else on the horized save Evil Lyn who I already have preordered. Once they announce Adam, Orko, and cringer, i'll start to care again but after that I'm out. It's a shame too, i'd be much more interested in say completing all the "masters" (stratos, mechanek, etc) if this line was more accessable. But since you have to fight tooth an claw just to get a few scant figures, it's just too much hassle.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

I won't be quitting. Even if I were to miss a figure I'd still try the next month and hope for a reissue. Mattel quitting on us is a whole different matter however...
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

So far I've yet to miss a figure, so I aint going nowhere. Even if did I can always pick them up from a fellow boardie, re-issue, or over time on eBay. So there's no need to jump ship. People have to understand these are HOTT!!! and you're not the only one going bananas over these. The fan base keeps growing and growing everymonth it seems with these fast sell outs. Also you quitting the line isn't going to hurt Matty's feelings or business. I'm sure there's another collector that missed out on figures waiting to take your place. As far as I know the fast sell outs are good, they're keeping the line going strong. My love for MOTU is a lot stronger than the hate I have for Matty's business so again I ain't going nowhere. It's true what they say, these MOTU Classic figures do bring back the child in us. Unfortunetly it has brought out the infant is some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MeguiarsEM View Post
    So far I've yet to miss a figure, so I aint going nowhere. Even if did I can always pick them up from a fellow boardie, re-issue, or over time on eBay. So there's no need to jump ship. People have to understand these are HOTT!!! and you're not the only one going bananas over these. The fan base keeps growing and growing everymonth it seems with these fast sell outs. Also you quitting the line isn't going to hurt Matty's feelings or business. I'm sure there's another collector that missed out on figures waiting to take your place. As far as I know the fast sell outs are good, they're keeping the line going strong. It's true what they say, these MOTU Classic figures do bring back the child in us. Unfortunetly it has brought out the infant is some of us.
    no the fast sellouts are indicative about how poor Mattels game plan with this line is. It's allowing for people to pick up multiple figures to scalp on ebay because they aren't producing enough to satisfy demand.

Quote Originally Posted by MeguiarsEM View Post
    People have to understand these are HOTT!!! and you're not the only one going bananas over these. The fan base keeps growing and growing every month it seems with these fast sell outs.
    It may actually be more along the lines of: there's such a scarce amount of product offered to non-subscribers for such a small window of time, that it's making it look like the line is in more demand than it actually is. In other words, it's giving the illusion that it's hot on the surface only. It's not that everyone and their third cousin, twice removed, wants one.

Also, I couldn't help myself, lol ( I thought this was appropriate for this thread):

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    no the fast sellouts are indicative about how poor Mattels game plan with this line is. It's allowing for people to pick up multiple figures to scalp on ebay because they aren't producing enough to satisfy demand.
    Why do you blame Mattel for people's impulsive nature to buy things from scalpers? Mattel is a corporation and at the end of the day all they wanna see is that their products are flying off shelves. Scott, I believe genuinely cares about MOTU and fan wants, but most of us are never satisfied no matter what they do. YES Mattel screwed up by only really producing enough figures based on the subs, but it was explained that last year's subs combined with the extra stock they sold on Matty Collector proved to be an almost exact number figures they needed to produce for this year as they looked at the extras sold then as now those same individuals are now subbers and didn't think that many who still wanted the figures wouldn't subscribe.

For the first time I am seriously considering quitting. Moss Man was gone before I could even manage to add one to my cart and my sub Moss Man was taxed yet again. If having a sub means having to pay a 30% VAT tax (once charged by DR and once by the customs) plus having to buy the larger beasts in 2011 which a further $30 shipping fee for international customers, then I am afraid I will no longer be able to afford this.

I have to agree that the figures which we are getting are not on a par with the original 8-backs. I actually opened a topic on this subject on the Mattycollector forums but nobody replied. Those figures were given lots of details and awesome paint jobs that made them visually appealing. All MOTUC are basically made from the same mold but it's those little touches that made each of the 8-backs look so different from one another. I am talking about stuff like the contrast between the green Merman body and his yellow/orangish armour (notice that they are not the same colours on the vintage figure) and the brushing with brown paint on the armour itself. Or the red on Beastman's armour which was toned down and details were added to give it a "rusty" feel. Or again the silver higlights added to Faker's gauntlets and the orange/silvery higlights on the orange armour. The newer figures aren't like this. I am not saying they aren't cool. Battle Cat and Trap Jaw are truly awesome action figures, with absolutely gorgeous sculpt and articulation. Figures like Adora, Moss Man or Optikk are cool too but they are lacking that something that makes me say WOW, when I look at them, like I used to do when the 8-backs were revealed.

Regarding the sales, I think that, in the end, we will eventually get back to normal. Perhaps it will get worse in the next few months, but eventually this crazyness will die out. Just like River said this is just artificial demand. With the sellout times getting shorter and shorter more and more resellers are jumping on the wagon (perhaps this is exactly what Mattel wants, after all) thinking that they can make some quick cash. In the end as the real fans (real fans meaning those who buy for the pleasure of owning the figure and not to resell it immediately for profit) start jumping off that wagon, the hype will die out and the resllers themselves will turn away from the line. And that will also mean the end of it. Creating artificial demand like Mattel is doing may work for a few months, but is not a good business model to make your product last for many years like Mattel claim they want to. But after all this line is already a year and a half old and it's still working I guess, so I may as well be wrong on this one...
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Why do you blame Mattel for people's impulsive nature to buy things from scalpers? Mattel is a corporation and at the end of the day all they wanna see is that their products are flying off shelves. Scott, I believe genuinely cares about MOTU and fan wants, but most of us are never satisfied no matter what they do. YES Mattel screwed up by only really producing enough figures based on the subs, but it was explained that last year's subs combined with the extra stock they sold on Matty Collector proved to be an almost exact number figures they needed to produce for this year as they looked at the extras sold then as now those same individuals are now subbers and didn't think that many who still wanted the figures wouldn't subscribe.
    right this is the problem, they need to get away from this subscriber plan and get with a pre-order plan. Then they would know production runs needed for each figure well in advance. I'm sorry but I don't feel like paying for the figs + shipping that I have no interest in just in insure that I get the few figures a year I do want.

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    This thread, i believe will get ressurected each and every month from now until the end of time LOL

People that talk about how they have the money, that they can buy them from other sources, they have jobs that let them waste the day..they aren't gonna quit buying these figures. Just fuel mattel and allow them to continue doing what they're doing. I happily took the day off (for other reasons) and slept in til 10am, a hour after the sale for me. Logged in and found an email in my youtube inbox saying that both versions of Mossman sold out in about 5 minutes. I layed in bed laughing. I do love these figures and such. But i made the decision to look at this situation and made up my mind to walk away. When people talk about how much they love this line so they can't walk away from it. To me, you're hurting the integrity of it more by ignoring how they company selling them to you is treating you. I feel like we're treated like children. They constantly are handing out "candy" that everyone is like OMG GIMME GIMME GIMME...i don't care how..GIMME GIMME GIMME. I'm glad i'm now on my terms. If i wanna buy a figure...i can and will. By other means, at some other time. Not when THEY tell me i have to.

Quote Originally Posted by optibotimus View Post
    This thread, i believe will get ressurected each and every month from now until the end of time LOL

People that talk about how they have the money, that they can buy them from other sources, they have jobs that let them waste the day..they aren't gonna quit buying these figures. Just fuel mattel and allow them to continue doing what they're doing. I happily took the day off (for other reasons) and slept in til 10am, a hour after the sale for me. Logged in and found an email in my youtube inbox saying that both versions of Mossman sold out in about 5 minutes. I layed in bed laughing. I do love these figures and such. But i made the decision to look at this situation and made up my mind to walk away. When people talk about how much they love this line so they can't walk away from it. To me, you're hurting the integrity of it more by ignoring how they company selling them to you is treating you. I feel like we're treated like children. They constantly are handing out "candy" that everyone is like OMG GIMME GIMME GIMME...i don't care how..GIMME GIMME GIMME. I'm glad i'm now on my terms. If i wanna buy a figure...i can and will. By other means, at some other time. Not when THEY tell me i have to.
    LOL i agree 100% and yet i'm too weak to take a real stand *preorders Hordak on BBTS*

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    LOL i agree 100% and yet i'm too weak to take a real stand *preorders Hordak on BBTS*
    NOOOOOOoooooooo don't do it!!!

DON'T drink the kool-aid :P

I'll be out fairly soon.

I do not want, nor can I afford a subscription. Buying these things can be a humongous pain in the arse. Once I get the last 2 or 3 characters I want, I'm done, and I can relax. Buying simple, non-battery powered action figures should not be this complicated and stressful. It's not like it's deciding on a 401K or picking the right insurance.
    Heroic Stone Mason of Castle Grayskull!

Heroic Warrior
    Despite all the problems, it absolutely amazes me how many people are so blind and constantly defend Mattel's practices. The figures are so expensive, yet there are so many people that want these figures. So many people defend Mattel and say that they're a business and only care about money, which is true. However, they're obviously not maximizing how much they can be making by not producing enough, which can easily be solved by doing pre-orders. Many people estimate that Mattel makes anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 of these figures, which is in no way possible. We all love MotU, but there are not that many of us supporting the line. I tend to believe that at most, they only make 2,000 to 3,000 of each figure, probably less. With the way that Mattel is running this line, more and more people are leaving it. I believe that this line will get cancelled by the end of 2011.

Pre-orders are the answer. Everyone can get as many of the figures as they want, and Mattel doesn't overproduce. And you know what? They could still do a subscription. To give people an incentive to get the sub, they could do something novel, and maybe give a discount on each figure. With an added pre-order system, people would still get the subscription if they got charged two or three dollars less per figure.

However, Mattel is too stubborn and too stupid to do something that makes sense and actually makes them more money.

Heroic Warrior
    So far, I didn't get my Trap Jaw or Battlecat yet... Delays become longer and longer, even from honest and reliable resellers !

I'm on the verge of quitting... The figures become harder to get every month (a 5 minutes sellout for Moss Man ! COME ON ! That's just pure madness and idiocy from Mattel !)... And we know this trend will last until June AT LEAST.

Of course, I'm TOTALLY OPPOSED to a subscription, for several reasons I already mentioned on other threads.

The day I miss a figure is the day I'll quit. Yes, MOTUC are awesome figures, but there are other great figures that are as cool as MOTUC, or even better. I don't see why I should remain the slave of a system that doesn't give a damn about customers and fans...

I'm utterly disgusted with Mattel/Matty/Digital River. I didn't quit yet, but like I said, the day I miss a figure is the day I'll quit.

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    Despite all the problems, it absolutely amazes me how many people are so blind and constantly defend Mattel's practices. The figures are so expensive, yet there are so many people that want these figures. So many people defend Mattel and say that they're a business and only care about money, which is true. However, they're obviously not maximizing how much they can be making by not producing enough, which can easily be solved by doing pre-orders. Many people estimate that Mattel makes anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 of these figures, which is in no way possible. We all love MotU, but there are not that many of us supporting the line. I tend to believe that at most, they only make 2,000 to 3,000 of each figure, probably less. With the way that Mattel is running this line, more and more people are leaving it. I believe that this line will get cancelled by the end of 2011.

Pre-orders are the answer. Everyone can get as many of the figures as they want, and Mattel doesn't overproduce. And you know what? They could still do a subscription. To give people an incentive to get the sub, they could do something novel, and maybe give a discount on each figure. With an added pre-order system, people would still get the subscription if they got charged two or three dollars less per figure.

However, Mattel is too stubborn and too stupid to do something that makes sense and actually makes them more money.
    If they offered preorders...it probably would be a much better indicator for them on how many figures to produce. Subscriptions + preorders would be the best way to go in my opinion. And i'm honestly sick of toyguru saying preorders basically, aren't possible. Has he ever heard of a small little company called AMAZON?!

I've used 'other sources' to get every single figure in this line, but I still feel bad for the heartache that getting these figures causes folks. I don't like how Mattel handles this line either but the beauty of each and every figure and fond childhood memories it gives me is enough to make me stick with it. That being said, the upcoming lesser known figures like Optikk and Gy-Gor do not excite me so will I quit the line? No...but I am going to be more selective...

I apologize for not reading the entire thread.

I know I won't quit but I am on the verge of telling matty to stick his sub somewhere and just wait until re-releases.

I could afford the sub even if it's all in or whatever but seriously mattel's constant excuses, corporate garbo, the strongarm marketing, and finger pointings are really degrading enough to the point where's it's past ludicrous speed.

I do admit that I see some steps actually being made; production numbers being upped, digital river lag time becoming more minimal, and actual friggin sub-orders being shipped out first.

Matty still has some issues including DR and customer service that need fixed by july before I decide to make up my mind on the subscription.

i hope DR can fix the que system first among many other things, Period!

Also, that matty would change his mind back to wanting figures available for up to 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Andy Adams; March 17, 2010 at 03:02pm. Reason: spelling/grammer
    Awesome sticker not included!™