Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Official discussion thread for those who are considering quitting or will quit MOTUC

Anyone else givin' up on the 'lein'?

At some point, YES.

I've never been fully committed, as I pick and choose the ones I want the most. I do that with every toy line I collect because I just don't have that much money to spend on toys.

I may be completely done after KING GREYSKULL.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    True, Evil does need Good...to be our slaves and our objects of derision!
    Yes, keep up the front...
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Yes, keep up the front...
    Yeah, well I kind of have to. If I wasn't around lousing things up, it'd be like a high school debate club meeting around here. You want me on these walls! You need me on these walls!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Can you elaborate on this, Heidi? Do you mean marketing & PR, or just PR due to bad Matty experiences? I'm curious to know. Thanks!
    This is all just my opinion, other's might feel differently.

I mean PR as in handling public relations with fan-community. The first thing that comes to mind is Webstor's backpack. At some point it was stated that the backpack will work "just as you remember." Some fans draw a conclusion that this meant that it'd work like in the 80's. Well, it didn't, and when people were upset about it, ToyGuru kinda stated that fans were jumping into conclusions, in other words blaming the fans for misunderstanding the "work as you remember" - statement. I personally feel that an apology for giving information that could be misinterperted could have gone long way in that situation.

There have been other situations like this, but as of late ToyGuru has been handling things really well. Though the "Keldor swords" and the "hole in She-Ra's head" still remind me of the past PR issues. It still feels like Mattel is invalidating the problems either by denying the problem, belitteling it, or insinuating that what fans are asking is silly instead of hearing the concerns and validating them. But, this is all my opinion, and as I said earlier, I feel that things are going much more positively as they were before and I'm quite optimistic about the future of the line.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

FINALLY another thread about quitting MOTUC, we certainly dont have enough of these.....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yeah, well I kind of have to. If I wasn't around lousing things up, it'd be like a high school debate club meeting around here. You want me on these walls! You need me on these walls!
    :LOL

Good. Good.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

I have not given up but I certainly do not buy as many figures as I planned anymore. Right now I only will be getting Tytus and Optikk, probably through 3rd parties since I have no interest in the frustrating experience that is ordering the figures through Matty. I probably would have bought Moss Man, Evil Lynn and Adora on a whim if it would have been easy to get them. Unfortunately Matty does not allow to buy a figure spontaneous.

Hauke
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Quote Originally Posted by victoryleo19 View Post
    FINALLY another thread about quitting MOTUC, we certainly dont have enough of these.....
    Negative. Read my responses... this is about quitting the MOTU brand and about quitting Mattel not just MOTUC. Unlike Brokeback Mountain, I have no problem with telling Mattel, "I CAN quit you."
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior
    ehenyo wrote :

I've been collecting since I was 5 and got burned with the availability of the 200x figures. When the classics came out, I could already tell how scarce and pricey many of the figures were going to be

Well, I feel that the "old fans" (meaning those who supported MOTU since its beginning in the 80's) are the ones who know Mattel better, and consequently who have justified reasons to be weary of "the Firm". I'm one of these old fans. We know Mattel's ways, and saw firsthand how MOTU, POP, NA and 200x abruptly ended.

Just like Scott Metzger, I notice that ALL Mattel products in general are hard to get, and even harder to collect. And clearly, it's not the case for all companies, brands and toylines.

I feel exactly like you said, ehenyo : I won't have any problem with telling Mattel, "I CAN quit you".

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    I feel exactly like you said, ehenyo : I won't have any problem with telling Mattel, "I CAN quit you".
    Shoot, before MOTUC came out (even then I had to wait for reissues) I hadn't bought a Mattel product in almost a decade

Rider of the Night MyBroGotAllMyFigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Negative. Read my responses... this is about quitting the MOTU brand and about quitting Mattel not just MOTUC. Unlike Brokeback Mountain, I have no problem with telling Mattel, "I CAN quit you."
    Err, the thread is called "Official discussion thread for those who are considering quitting or will quit MOTUC". Your responses are NOT the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBroGotAllMyFigs View Post
    Err, the thread is called "Official discussion thread for those who are considering quitting or will quit MOTUC". Your responses are NOT the thread.
    Ehenyo actually started a new thread, which then got merged into this thread. So I believe he was still responding to his own thread when he wrote the reply.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    ehenyo wrote :

Well, I feel that the "old fans" (meaning those who supported MOTU since its beginning in the 80's) are the ones who know Mattel better, and consequently who have justified reasons to be weary of "the Firm". I'm one of these old fans. We know Mattel's ways, and saw firsthand how MOTU, POP, NA and 200x abruptly ended.

Just like Scott Metzger, I notice that ALL Mattel products in general are hard to get, and even harder to collect. And clearly, it's not the case for all companies, brands and toylines.

I'm right here too. I hated what happened in 200x, quit the line mid-way through and gave away everything. Then I gave them a chance with DCUC and that became an ever-hating nightmare to no end(Distribution, Variants, Gleek). So I gave up on that line and really only get Bat related things.

I've gotten all but 3 of the monthly figures so far in this line, and the 3 I don't have are by choice. I've gotten about half from sources other than Matty. However, at this point I've decided to pass on the subscription for 2011, and I'm only going to get originals and not go out of my way for them. I really want an Evil-Lyn, to finish off the core villains, but after that if I miss out from Matty I won't go hunt them down. I don't give a damn about PoP, NA, PoG, and Filmation at this point and I will not be purchasing anything related to those lines. I like 200x, but I'm not going to get the 200x figures. 200x had its chance and its gone.

As much as I'd like to say 'I'll subscribe and go the completest route' I can't. I already have most of the characters I wanted, and I'm not going to spend $100s of dollars on stuff I really don't want just to guarantee I get the stuff I do.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    I'm not going to spend $100s of dollars on stuff I really don't want just to guarantee I get the stuff I do.

RyanSD FTW!

That exactly sums up how I feel about the line. It's next to impossible to collect without either buying a sub or paying secondary market prices; and I don't feel like doing either. If Mattel's answer to all of the fans' complaints is "buy the subscription" then my response to Mattel is "jump in a lake."
    "Evil will always triumph because good is DUMB" - Dark Helmet

I started collecting MOTUC back in December 2008 with He-man and BM. I kept on buying the figures up until Zodac. For some reason, he never reached me. The latter, added to the fact that Faker had taken a month and a half to arrive (and that I had missed out on Merman due to Matty's massive technical glich when he first went out on sale) made me so angry that I acted on an impulse and quit the line. Even though I wasn't collecting anymore, a couple of months later, a good friend of mine here in Argentina (and member of this forum) gave me a Merman at cost price. Nothing happened, MOTUC wise for me, until march this year. It was whilst talking to this very same friend over the phone that he mentioned Battle Cat, TYTUS and KELDOR. All of a sudden, acting on an impulse once again, I was back collecting, but had some catching up to do. My friend had purchased 3 subs and was enormously kind to actually give me one (at cost, again). Furthermore, he sold to me Randor, Teela, Zodac and Battle Cat at extremely low, low prices.
    So, what's my point?:
    If you have a very good friend who collects MOTUC you can actually overcome the troubles encountered due to Mattel's infinite problems and failures on the site and with production numbers.

I can't thank him enough and hope this story inspires other members to help their collector friends in need.
    Let the power return!!

Court Magician

Huge Fan but tired of this.

You know I started this line to have fun & get some great characters but this is becoming crazy to me, not only can I not usually get crap every month from Matty, because of there dumb sell out times.... Also I am not a subscriber, so yeah I still don't have a wundar & won't pay no $100 for him & now more SDCC stuff that will be a fortune in the after market, I just can't stand this crap, maybe I am just ticked but they are really making me dislike collecting this line, it is WAY to much money & some of the figures cost you an arm & a leg to get. Sorry just had to vent.

Bob.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    SDCC Exclusives are a staple in this line. Have been for quite some time. We all knew they would be there.

BUT, at least they are also selling them on MattyColelctor.com. I know the sell-out times suck, but at least just about everything gets reissued.

So, I gotta be honest, I personally see no reason to be upset. Sorry.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    So, I gotta be honest, I personally see no reason to be upset. Sorry.
    That's because you get them delivered to your door free each month
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    That's because you get them delivered to your door free each month
    But, I'm also there with everyone else on sale date to buy the figures as well. And I have a subscription. So, I'm not completely exempt from all of the issues everyone has had.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
    You know I started this line to have fun & get some great characters but this is becoming crazy to me, not only can I not usually get crap every month from Matty, because of there dumb sell out times.... Also I am not a subscriber, so yeah I still don't have a wundar & won't pay no $100 for him & now more SDCC stuff that will be a fortune in the after market, I just can't stand this crap, maybe I am just ticked but they are really making me dislike collecting this line, it is WAY to much money & some of the figures cost you an arm & a leg to get. Sorry just had to vent.

Bob.
    Dude, every toy company does things like this.

You gonna get mad that Hasbro is making Slaughter only available at Comic Con? For some strange reason, everyone's giving them a free pass on that, and I don't understand why. And their reasoning for making him Comic Con only is absolutely pitiful; it makes half the reasoning that MOTU fans complain ToyGuru makes look brilliantly thought out when at times it may not be.

I definitely plan on getting the sub for next year.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    But, I'm also there with everyone else on sale date to buy the figures as well. And I have a subscription. So, I'm not completely exempt from all of the issues everyone has had.
    Just joking with you
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Sorry it's got you down Bob, but I agree with Dan. If the line is getting to you then I would take a bit of time out or maybe collect another line for a bit. There is a lot to be said for collecting vintage lines, at least you know what is out there and you don't get mixed up in anything current

Court Magician
    Nobody else is tired of not getting the figures when they hit Matty? I still don't have KG & it won't happen, I plan on selling most of my figures off? I am sorry if others think this is great that we will be paying $100 for Orko & Adam in the after market but I don't. This is just me, I know most will not agree but the prices are somewhat crazy, this line is cool & all but it is not fun to collect anymore, that is just MY OPINION.

Thanks.

For me this line is all about sacrifice. I'm might not be the die hardest of fans but I gotta have at least one of each fig. I got a sub to help. So Matty releases some bonuses. If I can't get to a computer I'll find someone who can. I love the line just that much. By any means necessary I've got to get mine. I am WILLING to do whatever to get them. I know how much the figs are before purchasing them. So I feed this addiction. Mattel doesn’t make me (They contribute). Were there is a will there is a way. By any means necessary I'll get my MOTUC and by the power of Grayskull I won't be bitter about it.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    For what it's worth, King Grayskull is being reissued later this year.

I have to say, in all honesty, I've been lucky - I have purchased both subscriptions so far and don't regret doing so. I will be purchasing the 2011 sub as well. Then again, it's going to be a rare MOTU/POP/NA figure I DON'T want - basically just some of the bonuses, and even then I can deal.

Yes, Matty's/DR's screw-ups have been plentiful, but I don't see anything about the SDCC exclusive to get upset over. It's not a "Gleek" scenario - in fact, the 'normal', basic version will be made available on sale just like every other figure - yes, that's not a large purchasing window, but it used to be that SDCC exclusives meant that, and nothing else, and if you couldn't get a friend to grab it for you, you were out of luck, at least at the sale price.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."