Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 103

Thread: Why not pre-orders?

  1. #26
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella_Steve View Post
    I heard they couldn't do it that way with the way the production runs. By the time they would have a figure to show us (proto or pre-produced) , they would allready put the figures into production. At that point they can't reduce or increase without it costing more. I understand that.

    I think the only way they could produce a number based on pre-orders would be to have us pre-order based on a sketch or a rough proto. Then people would be angry if it didn't turn out how they wanted it, and want their money back.
    That's an excuse. They could just show us the figures sooner. It would be adding some time to their window, but it's not something that other companies don't already do. It may mean they can't reveal 6 or 8 figures at a Con, but I'm sure fans would be happy with 4 or 5 if it meant for preorders.

    For example, I do work for a number of DVD studios. Some of them will show cover artwork 8 months before street date (and months before they manufacture the discs). Others won't show cover art until a month before street date (and long after the DVDs are manufactured).

    Its all about the 'solicitation window'.

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior Adam_Portugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    679
    Because if they make pre-orders available no one will have subcriptions, and by buying just what you want, you will make them lose money!

  3. #28
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    39
    I'm all for pre-orders to help alleviate these problems. I'd hate to see the line suffer from fan angst not because of the product itself, but simply due to a poor method of distribution.

  4. #29
    Overlord of Evil stevetor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    515
    pre-orders make the most sense to me as well...
    the site (matty) is always crashing b/c we all cram on there to order right at noon. no amount of bandwidth can solve that problem.
    then conversly we all cram on here to complain about it (and cause another site crash).
    pre orders would relieve this, as well as give them fairly accurate production numbers...but I guess that would be too easy?
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

    MY .ORG FEEDBACK

    MY EBAY FEEDBACK

    "I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior SkeleChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,047
    I've been on the pre-order notion from the beginning.
    It really would save everyone involved the headache.

  6. #31
    foreverneverending Geek-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    629
    Pre-orders is definitely the way to go. I wouldn't even need to see a prototype or sketch of a figure. A list of names would be enough for me. I know what I would buy (figures like Trap-Jaw) and I know what I would not buy (figures like Optik). Charge us and get the figures to us 8 months later. Everyone would be guaranteed the figures they want without running the risk of being stuck with figures they do not want.

    This has been brought up numerous times, especially during the great "I am" vs. "I am NOT" getting a subscription debate.
    As far as I know Mattel has never addressed why this is NOT a good idea. They'll probably tell us that the technology to process pre-orders does not exist.
    Last edited by Geek-Man; February 16, 2010 at 03:58pm.

  7. #32
    Fright Zone HordakQuack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    974
    Pre-orders......PLEASE.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

    "The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

  8. #33
    Eternian Jedi Knight He-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,447
    Chris here...

    Best. He-Man.Org. Thread. Ever. *applauds*

    BCI Guy, I could not agree with you more. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no excuse for Mattel not having a pre-order system for these, I was absolutely stunned to discover that there weren't going to be pre-orders and it baffles me more and more each day.

    Reasons why pre-orders would be of benefit to Mattel:

    1) They would give Mattel a more accurate representation of how many figures to make. We know how far in advance they have to go into production with these figures because of the "Moss Man flocking" issue - so, IMO they could certainly start pre-ordering for a figure 9 months before it goes on sale, and cut-off pre-orders, say, 3 months before it goes on sale. It's still not a perfect system - but it would help a LOT of fans.

    2) By having a more accurate idea of how many figures are likely to sell, Mattel could make more money! Think about this - every MOTUC figure so far has sold out. Every MOTUC reissue figure has sold out. Who's to say that some of those reissues might not sell out if reissued again? By taking pre-orders, more of those customers could get access to a figure from the outset. Mattel may be missing out on customers who would buy a reissue after its sold out!

    3) It would cause better relations between Mattel and its customers. If you think that today, BattleCat (a non-sub figure that you had to buy from Matty or do without) was available for, what, 35 minutes tops? This is a major character from the MOTU mythos and fans had a half-hour window to order him. That is just ******* crazy, and on any marketing model it's bad business. Yes, sometimes things happen (I recently ran a concert with no advance tickets, just tickets on the door, because we thought we wouldn't sell out, and from the doors opening at 7:30pm up to 8:00pm, we'd completely sold out all 120 seats), and I'd have been willing to cut Mattel some early slack for unprecedented sales - but this has been happening for a year now!

    So to conclude, why BCI Guy's proposal for a pre-order service is excellent is not just because it would make fans happier - the above list shows that it would allow Mattel to make more money. Why they cannot see that is totally beyond me.

    Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

    If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

    MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

    www.thundercatslair.org

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Adam_Portugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    679
    As I said before, the only reason mattel doesn't make pre-orders is

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Portugal View Post
    Because if they make pre-orders available no one will have subcriptions, and by buying just what you want, you will make them lose money!

  10. #35
    Court Magician Tordek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    38
    Sorry folks, they can't have pre-orders because that makes too much sense and these guys are morons.

    Either that or they REALLY get off on the ideas of 1)getting everyone anxious over having to be at the computer at 9 AM PST otherwise the eBay *******s are going to buy up all the figs while you swear at a loading screen 2) getting everyone angry/depressed when they miss out on something that will give them a little bit of hapiness - that they will spend a LOT of money on - after they miss out on said figs to said eBay *******s.

    It really is pathetic that they've known about this problem FOR OVER A YEAR and are appearently too inept to fix it. But I kind of think they really do get some kind of ego feed off giving people meltdowns.
    Born with a mustache in a Supernova

  11. #36
    Punish-Or jerec350's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    1,577
    I vote for Pre-Orders as well. At the very least they need to lower quantities to 3. That leaves 1 for display, 1 to display with bonus head, 1 for MOC.

  12. #37
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,011
    I'd love to see pre-orders happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Portugal View Post
    As I said before, the only reason mattel doesn't make pre-orders is
    People will still purchase subscriptions for the bonus figure that subscribers get.
    Last edited by Oceanwalker; February 16, 2010 at 04:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

    http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

  13. #38
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Portugal View Post
    Because if they make pre-orders available no one will have subcriptions, and by buying just what you want, you will make them lose money!
    I disagree. Look at Chris' post. Mattel could potentially make more money by offering pre-orders.

    Yes, they would lose some subscribers (although as long as they keep making a "subscription only" figure, the completists will still subscribe), but look at how many sales they LOST today because they didn't make enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the number of people that missed out on figures doesn't doesn't exceed the number of subscribers. And obviously they lost a FORTUNE on Battle Cat sales today seeing as how he wasn't part of the subscription and by how many people missed out.

    With pre-orders there would be no limits. Customizers could order 20 if they wanted. Stores could order 100. Pretty much anyone that wants a figure would be able to get it. And instead of figures selling 2 or more times due to *******s and EBaying for people that missed out, Matty would be be getting that money as well.

  14. #39
    Almighty Dictator Skullface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,364
    Like many others here, I've been clamoring for pre-orders since this line began.

    I know I'm not the only one who would be willing to lay down the $$$ (or even a partial deposit) a year ahead of time, to not have to deal with the barely functioning site every month.

    Even if there's not a prototype to show us, TELL us who is coming out which month, take pre-orders for 30 days or so, WELL before the figure goes into production, and make like 10-15% additional on top of pre-order numbers for release date ordering/QC return issues.

    The sub system is flawed due to having to be locked into the same number of figures per sub. Say I want 3 Trap Jaws, but only 1 Battle Cat. I can't afford to sign up for 3 subs for a 12 month time frame. And the logic of selling the extras off, doesn't exactly apply for those who are on a budget.

    With a pre-order system, there should be no limits, so if a reseller wants to order 1000 of figure A, let them. And if someone only wants 1 of figure A and 3 of figure B releasing on the same date, they're taken care of AND they avoid extra shipping charges.

    Mattel honestly won't go this route UNTIL they start losing sales. The only way that will happen is if people DON'T sign up for the 2011 subscription. All they care about is $$$, and selling through stock. This artificial demand they're creating has got to stop. Re-issuing a figure is not a solution, when they could get accurate production numbers by pre-ordering and THEN make a small amount of re-issues down the road, IF the demand is there.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

  15. #40
    cow tools chrisbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,250
    Mattel will not do this because it is logical step in the right direction. The 200X line was destoryed because Mattel never took the logical steps to correct their mistakes.

    For them it is great when the figures sell out no matter who gets them. It irks me that some online businesses are using mutilple accounts and buying up all of the figures to turn around and sell them for a huge mark up. Pre-orders would eliminate this problem of course because fans could get the figures they want guarnteed but Mattel doesn't want to do that.......I am rambling sorry.

    Chris
    Is not not licking toads

  16. #41
    Evil Sorcerer! Pravus Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,697
    As I said 2 years ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    Why not do like Diamond does and have solicits and pre-orders? Companies like DC Direct, who have comparatively small production runs solicit figures months in advance, so you can order and get your figures, in the quantity you want, without hassle. There really isn't a need for "Mystery figures" right up until just before the release, instead if you start accepting preorders say 3 months in advance, everyone should be set and it gives Mattel a good idea on the production runs. (I say three months just as an artbitrary number, DCD has solicits up for figures that come out 6 months later)

    That way, the fans stay in the loop, Mattel makes appropriate production runs, and everyone gets a chance to get every figure.
    Around the same time, Takara (Japanese partner with Hasbro making Transformers) changed the way they do their Japanese exclusive Transformers, they started doing it via a pre-order window where anyone can order, but if you don't order, you don't get the figure as they only make as many figures as there are pre-orders. For example, last November popped up an exclusive repaint of Skyfire which will be produced and released in March. The pre-order window started early November and went through to the second or so of January. Then they're making all the Skyfires they got orders for. A large window of time allowed international and domestic fans time to get their act together and get their order in, the exclusive is exclusive and there's absolutely no overstock. The fans are happy, the provider of the exclusive is happy, and Takara is happy. It's worked well for Takara for years now.

    DC Direct, Diamond Select, Takara, and others all have used a preorder system for years now.

    Then you've got all the online stores that do preorders of their products and do fantastic business.

    I will give Mattel credit, they said they weren't going to overproduce this line and that seems to be one promise they kept.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; February 16, 2010 at 09:30pm.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

  17. #42
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,270
    I'd love for them to do pre-orders. I've been saying it for a long time.

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Jor-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    573
    Pre-orders will ensure this line survives. Subscription is such a fascist way to go. I know I won't sign up for the 2011 sub. I don't want to commit to absolutely everything (even this year, I've passed on BA He-Man and will probably pass on Tytus and Gugor, and would have passed on Optikk).

    If Mattel refuses to listen and continues to jerk off over the current situation of lightning fast sellouts, they will have only themselves to blame.

    I hope they get stuck with a buttload of Gygors they cannot move. Maybe that will wake them up.

  19. #44
    Court Magician Tordek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post

    I hope they get stuck with a buttload of Gygors they cannot move. Maybe that will wake them up.
    LOL at "a buttload of Gygors"...that just sounds so funny.
    Born with a mustache in a Supernova

  20. #45
    Merchandise Collector jmb410s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,995
    Does anyone know of any other companies that do pre-orders on their products?? I only collect MOTU so don't know.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

  21. #46
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,526
    There are lots of ways of adding pre-orders without losing subscriptions:

    Keep offering a "subscription only" figure each year - that locks in the completists.

    If that's not enough, I'd be happy to pay a "pre-order fee" for the convenience. I'd pay 3-5 bucks extra per figure just to assure that I get everything I want, nothing I don't want, and that I never have to camp around the computer hoping to buy something.

    At $3 per figure that saves a subscriber 36 bucks a year on a current subscription and 72 bucks if they do the "all-in" subscription. AT $5 its 60/120. That's a serious savings.

    Or do tiered pricing (using standard figures as an example):
    • $18.00 for subscribers
    • $20.00 for buyers on the 15th
    • $22.00 for pre-orders.


    Right now they are basically saying if you want to guarantee you get the figures you want (even if its only 3 or 4 of them), you HAVE to buy all 12 (or 24 if they only offer the "everything" subscription.

  22. #47
    MOTUC fan! Evil_Horde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    4,144
    Pre-order or other methods for avoid these absurd and the money ran out so fast! Increase production!

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,039
    They should, at the very least, offer pre-orders for rerelease figures/items. Who thinks that Battle Cat won't sell out instantly again? Look how fast Skeletor went! And I don't see anything to indicate a future release will not be just like this one. And think of every bonus item for the rest of 2010! We all need pre-orders because the subscriptions aren't an answer for all the problems we're having.

  24. #49
    Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,176
    Pre-order and less hassle is one of the reasons I've been buying these figures from BBTS rather than Mattel-hell.

    i was considering getting the sub for next yr, but with all the problems others are having with their subs being canceled & whatnot... why bother?


    they should have had the pre-order option from day one, as well as alternate payment methods (Ever heard of Paypal??) for those who don't have or don't want to use credit cards.

    what planet is Mattel living on? the biggest toy company in the world can't even getthe simplest things right when everyone else can?

    for me, it's either BBTS or ebay for collecting this line.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

    Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior Marek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Kraków
    Posts
    454
    A pre-order system is the way to go !!
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •