Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why not pre-orders?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    The ONLY way that the preorder system would work is if we fans are willing to pre-order an item with just the character name revealed.
    Producing a prototype "sculpt" would be a "sunk" development cost for Mattel is the figure didn't hit the pre-order mark.
    Are you willing to pre-order a figure without seeing it first? Personally, I am. It really isn't much different than the 60% revealed sub we blindly buy already.
    I pointed this out to TG today and he replied simply with "Buying a sub IS preordering."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    The sub is basically a pre-order. I may be wrong but i imagine a pre-order for each individual figure is difficult to do. How could it work? Do you charge when the pre-order is placed? Then offer refunds if it doesn't meet the minimum? If you charge when it ships, then there is no guarantee of a sale for mattel as people would try to cancel, or not have funds in an account months later. Pre-orders just don't seem like a good business. I could be wrong but it just doesn't seem profitable and even more complicated of a system.
    Yes that is exactly what you do. Like you said the sub is a pre-order and if it does not meet the minimum all purchasers will receive refunds. This is how a figure by figure pre-order should work.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian and Gleep Admiral Scurvey and Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound CatraGrot Spyster Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    You have to understand that TG is right. Subscribing is a Pre-Order. You are investing in Masters of the Universe. Not in a figure, but in the toyline. The same thing is going to happen with GIJOE and Star Wars when they get their subscriptions up and running. They are not going to say which figures are coming in the next year, but the subscribers know they are getting Joes and Star Wars guys.

Support Masters of the Universe. Together, we can get all our figures.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Pre-Order System after the line is over?

I don’t know if this has been discussed before, but after the successful pre-order run of Castle Grayskull I thought, could this work on other figures/vehicles/beasts, too?

All Mattel would have to do is show us a fully drawn picture of the character they want to make and we decide over changes that might have to be done and THEN put him/her up on Matty’s site for pre-order. If the item reaches the minimum - fine, if not, then we got no one to blame but ourselves.

At some point I think the subscription will not work anymore with still lots of characters left on the table, so pre-order figures, offered maybe 4-5 times a year, could keep the line alive for quite some time.

Of course the details need to be worked out but as a rough concept, what do you think??
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Reissue Series with pre order plan discussion

Because Filmation He-Man sold out so fast, I'm suggesting the following concept.

There are a number of figures that are crazy expensive that many of us missed.
    For example, I missed out on Ram Man the two times I know of that he went up for sale on Mattycollector but would love another chance.

How about a Reissue Series that Matty takes pre orders for?

Key factors would be:
    1. Reissues would not include Sub-only items because that wouldn't be fair to subscribers
    2. Packaging would indicate that they are not the original issue
    3. Figures/Items would be open to pre order/pre pay for a specific time window, announced in advance

Figures originally made with mistakes (Roboto), underproduced (Rotar), or in high-demand (original Teela) would be included. I think a poll or series of polls would help figure out what figures would be best for the line.

Questions:
    1. Would they be much less expensive to produce because they already have the molds and packaging designs?
    2. Would this make people who already have originals angry? (Or MORE angry?) Is that really a factor since figures have already been issued more than once with "The Original" bursts, etc?
    3. Would it make sense to offer a subscription of maybe 6 reissues or just have them available individually?

Please discuss, this seems like a great idea to me but this forum is filled with so many passionate & knowledgeable folks that I bet we could figure out a system that really works for us as collectors and matty as a business.

Thanks!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Not to sound harsh, but this has been discussed to death before time and again. Matty got seriously burnt with reissuing figures. Maybe they didn't choose some of best characters to reissue at the time (although they did include A-listers, including 8-backs such as Mer-Man and Stratos). They were sitting on so many of them for so long that they ended up literally giving them away.

Yes, it sucks not to be able to get an original Teela for a reasonable price. I'm still without her, and I need at least two of her for her two looks. (I'm also lacking about half a dozen other characters that have never been on sale since early 2012 or earlier.) But, would there be like, say, at least 3,000 people (buying two Teelas each) that still don't have her original release and would jump at a reissue of her, to justify the cost? I doubt it, and I think Matty doesn't think that would be the case either.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

when they got into the actual production, there is a minimum number of units that have to be ordered to be made. Traditionally this is why Con exclusive figures costs more and were often redecorated figures, because the order number was around the minimum even possibly below it. When below it the amount spent to manufacture isn't different.

Reissues failed before with all figures but He-man and to a lesser extent Skeletor. Like the original line there was a the Original burst on the packaging to indicate it was part of the reissue. Later figures had an increase in production, with part of the allotment getting the burst on it to hope to sell to MIB collectors.

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, Mattel basically isn't willing to go back into production because last time they did the figures they did so on ended up getting sent off to subscribers for free. That included 8 back figures Stratos and Merman.

We are under a new management maybe they will listen to this concern, but considering the price drop and free shipping they put on Castle Greyskull (man I wish I had known), I kind of doubt they are looking to fall back into that much back stock.

Side note apparently He-man had 3 productions if I heard correctly. But when he sold out (classic not filmation) this last time they said it was done as the sales had slowed down drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman121 View Post
    when they got into the actual production, there is a minimum number of units that have to be ordered to be made. Traditionally this is why Con exclusive figures costs more and were often redecorated figures, because the order number was around the minimum even possibly below it. When below it the amount spent to manufacture isn't different.

Reissues failed before with all figures but He-man and to a lesser extent Skeletor. Like the original line there was a the Original burst on the packaging to indicate it was part of the reissue. Later figures had an increase in production, with part of the allotment getting the burst on it to hope to sell to MIB collectors.

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, Mattel basically isn't willing to go back into production because last time they did the figures they did so on ended up getting sent off to subscribers for free. That included 8 back figures Stratos and Merman.

We are under a new management maybe they will listen to this concern, but considering the price drop and free shipping they put on Castle Greyskull (man I wish I had known), I kind of doubt they are looking to fall back into that much back stock.

Side note apparently He-man had 3 productions if I heard correctly. But when he sold out (classic not filmation) this last time they said it was done as the sales had slowed down drastically.
    Yeah, He-Man was sitting on Matty's website for YEARS and he was the best selling one! Sad but true.
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

I don't see why a preorder could not happen. If they don't hit the amount they need,they don't make the figure. If they hit the goal,then charge the cards,they have the money upfront.....boom problem solved.

Sadly I don't know that any figures could hit the preorder quota goal. I'm guessing they need at least 5000 units,maybe more to go into production.

I see no harm in this. I also see no harm in the same packaging being used.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    They're reissuing the Horde Trooper so reissues obviously aren't impossible. But that figure is an obvious army builder, so has an advantage. I think there would be enough demand for Teela and Fisto to make it worthwhile. I would definitely buy them and I already have them. But reissues would have to be very selective; they're never going to do this with a lot of figures.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk