Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Grayskull or Snake Mountain, which should be made first?

Villain in training warrenpeace2012's Avatar

Castle Grayskull or Snake Mountain, which should be made first?

In my opinion, I think they should shake things up, (if they ever intend on making playsets) and make Snake Mountain first. We haven't seen a new SM since the 80's and it's waaaay overdue. But when it comes to SM, I hope they would take a lot of influence from the MYP show because the old mountain was kinda lame. I hated that ugly face on the front of it. Made no sense to me. I wanna see a fusion of the Filmation and MYP, it would be so wicked! As for Castle Grayskull, stick more to the vinatge, but similar to the relic that Scareglow came with. Well there's my 2 cents, what do y'all think?
    Don't mess up TWO-BADD! That's all I ask!

And behold, I will be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die. I shall reign in 2012 for my conquest is nigh.

Heroic Warrior
    Castle Grayskull first. That's where the mythology starts and ends.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

It seems like we have more of Skeletor's Evil Warriors than He-Man's Heroic Warriors, so Snake Mountain first would make sense to me. Plus Castle Grayskull is kind of boring to me in terms of design compared to Snake Mountain.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Snake Mountain! We got 2 1/4 Castle Grayskulls already (vintage, 200X and the King Grayskull packaging) and only one Snake Mountain (vintage). Heroes may get the kids attention but villains keep them interested and hanging around for more.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; February 20, 2010 at 01:54pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    If we follow the Eternian timeline, it's the 3 towers (Eternia, the Ultimate Battleground) that we should get first !

I say this because the Eternia playset is by far the coolest and largest playset ever produced, but few fans had the opportunity to own it.

But, of course, I'd like Snake Mountain, Castle Grayskull and the Fright Zone too.

This said, I don't really see the point of this thread, since Mattel told us repeatedly that playsets (and vehicles, for that matter) were not on the map. At least, not yet !

Let's hope this will change in the future. But priority has to be made indeeed to the figures !

Villain in training warrenpeace2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    If we follow the Eternian timeline, it's the 3 towers (Eternia, the Ultimate Battleground) that we should get first !

I say this because the Eternia playset is by far the coolest and largest playset ever produced, but few fans had the opportunity to own it.

But, of course, I'd like Snake Mountain, Castle Grayskull and the Fright Zone too.

This said, I don't really see the point of this thread, since Mattel told us repeatedly that playsets (and vehicles, for that matter) were not on the map. At least, not yet !

Let's hope this will change in the future. But priority has to be made indeeed to the figures !
    At one point they also said Tytus and Megator were also not in the cards, and look what happend. We should all know by now to take whatever Matty says, with a grain of salt.
    Don't mess up TWO-BADD! That's all I ask!

And behold, I will be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die. I shall reign in 2012 for my conquest is nigh.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I think there's still a lot of 200X castles going around, on ebay etc.
    I have one myself and I wouldn't buy a new one unless it was AMAZING, both outside and inside. And I doubt Mattel can pull off something like that.

Snake mountain however was NEVER really made to look like the cartoon. If they released a REAL snake mountain, i.e. a snake coiled around a mountain, with a throne room inside, a REAL PLAYSET, I think people would go absolutely BONKERS for it. I would totally buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I totally understand why they're not on the cards.

1. The cost to make would put the cost to buy very high.

2. These are "Adult Collectibles" and Castle Grayskull, Eternia, Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, etc. are "Playsets." If they do decide to make these, don't expect them to be "playsets" but more just "facades" with standing places for the figures. The vintage line Grayskull and Snake Mountain were just facades...but the insides had play features to them.

3. Reusable Parts. You can't reuse Grayskull parts with anything else...so to make the molds would be for a one-time deal.

4. Due to this being an Adult Collector line, many would probably pass due to money and real estate they'd take up. (I'm not one of those that would care about the size...but the price may steer me away)

I'd love to see them made...but from a logistical standpoint, I understand why they probably won't be.

Heroic Warrior
    At one point they also said Tytus and Megator were also not in the cards, and look what happend. We should all know by now to take whatever Matty says, with a grain of salt.
    With the big difference that we know playsets and vehicles won't be for 2010. Plus, who would sculpt them ? The 4 Horsemen sculpt the figures and creatures (not vehicles or playsets, as far as I know) , and they are big fans of Tytus and Megator. Tytus and Megator had been mentioned several times in the past, so I was not surprised to see them in the line, now that Mattel can try some more expensive ways thanks to the success of MOTUC.

As much as I'd want playsets, I don't see it coming before 2011. And we also have to consider the size these babies would reach, given that MOTUC figures are bigger than the 80's ones and the 200x ones... But who knows, maybe in 2011 ? Mattel also spoke this week about some kind of mini-playsets, if I'm right...

Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    Snake Mountain Evil Warriors Unite!!!!!!
    Find the things in life that bring you joy and hold onto them with every ounce of your being.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I think there's still a lot of 200X castles going around, on ebay etc.
    I have one myself and I wouldn't buy a new one unless it was AMAZING, both outside and inside. And I doubt Mattel can pull off something like that.

Snake mountain however was NEVER really made to look like the cartoon. If they released a REAL snake mountain, i.e. a snake coiled around a mountain, with a throne room inside, a REAL PLAYSET, I think people would go absolutely BONKERS for it. I would totally buy it.
    The 200X castle was very weak..just not on the same Level as the First one.
    The First one still looks great.

I don't think if they make them the castle would be that toyetic like the old one.

If we do get these, i predict they'd just be hollow rotocast fronts. Like we'd get the front of the castle, but it won't be a full on playset like the old figure.

from a strategic perspective, it would be more clever that they release Snake Mountain first... people will buy it KNOWING as a fact that a Castle Grayskull would come sooner or later.

something like releasing Adora which in itself hints to fans that She-Ra would come, thus promoting months of anticipation and increasing demand.

Mattel is pretty clever when it comes to planning releases, imo.
    DR issues, QC issues, and others, seem to be a different matter.

Here's an adventurous theory, it might be a possibility:

Build-A-Castle

instead of producing a complete, one-piece Castle/SnakeMountain, they could include pieces along with each figure, at an additional cost of course... some pieces with the regular figures, some with bonus figures, some with oversized figures...

So you would have to buy ALL the figures if you wanted a complete Castle or Mountain. and perhaps "extra" pieces (as enhancements) could be offered separately, or as exclusives to either SDCC or Club Eternia Subscriptions.

i'm not saying this is the way i want it... it's just a possibility that crossed my mind, because i thought the price of a product like this would be huge... i'm thinking along the lines of the MBF Millenium Falcon from Star Wars, and their upcomng Big AT-AT, which cost like $150.

This way they could make you buy more figures because you would be motivated to build the complete fortress.
    Last edited by JOXE; February 20, 2010 at 02:23pm.

See my illustrations and designs @ DeviantART: http://pezbananadesign.deviantart.com/

My Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?p=2715534

=)

Snake Mountain without a doubt. Twenty five years "between drinks" is waaay too long lol. I'm hoping that it's on the cards for the future & with the FH designing & sculpting it, i'd buy Snake Mountain in an instant.

Can they make miniatures of them for those of us who don't really have space to be buying a MOTUC playset, let alone two?

Castle Grayskull, make it look like Scare Glow's relic, and I will be very happy!
    Snake Mountain on the other hand.... I'm not sure if i would prefer a cartoon version, or one based more closely on the original.

Castle Grayskull without a doubt has to be first, although I'll be looking forward to a 200X style Snake Mountain even more...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Snake Mountain.

Grayskull shouldn't even be a playset. I mean the MAsters never hang out in it. THey only protect it for the villians. Its really cool to have but I would rather a Snake Mountain or a Fright Zone.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    Now, let's not forget that a Crystal Castle might possible too...

The build-a-castle option doesn't seem valid to me. Maybe we'd be able to build ONE castle ot two this way, but not all of them.

I would like to see a 200x styled Snake Mountain. I don't care for the inside, the outside should be awesome and in scale with the figures.
    A good Castle Grayskull front would have to be at least 33-36 inch, frontdoor 12 inch.
    Making a castle of more walls and a nice interior would result in a not desirable scale. Or the playset/diorama will be huge and hard to display for most of us and awfully expensive.
    For me in scale diorama's of the castle fronts would be best. In addition they could make playsets like throneroom, etc.
    I love the 200x Snake Mountain but would like to have Grayskull first.

Snake Mountain by Greg Semkow

Last edited by kk2; February 20, 2010 at 03:21pm.

Snake Mountain for sure. a 200X CG is good enough but its been a long time since we got a snake mountain.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I think it makes more sense to make Castle Grayskull first. However, I'm looking forward to Snake Mountain much more. Like others have mentioned, we haven't had a Snake Mountain since the 80's and it's long overdue. As far as the style, I think the Snake Mountain play set looks way better than the 200X cartoon version.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Snake Mountain. I already have the 200X Castle Grayskull and I donīt like the vintage Snake Mountain playset. I prefer one based in the 200X Snake Mountain...
    Last edited by Snake Hunter; February 20, 2010 at 04:30pm.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I'd have to vote Castle Grayskull.....wouldn't have a problem selling it to the fans I don't think.....then assuming it DOES sell well, hit us with Snake Mountain, then the Fright Zone and the Slime Pit.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Castle Grayskull hands down!
    It's the place where everything revolves around for both the heroic and the evil warriors.
    Snake Mountain is the place for just the evil warriors,
    while The Royal Palace for just the heroic warriors.

I would like to see the classic Castle Grayskull that looks like the relic Scareglow came with. It should have a whole new updated interior.

As a 2nd playset, The Snake Mountain from MYP 200x with the Monster Mountain.

The Fright Zone would be awesome as well as a 3rd!

The Royal Palace / Eternia playset would be really cool too.
    But I have no idea how they could make it, it would be humongous!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=