Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.31!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.31!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to him for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out his answers to your Round 31 questions!

This round of questions were selected by MossMan710179,
    and proofed against old Q&As by Uncle Montork.
    Thanks to them for their help!

-------------------

1. zodak74: For characters that feature capes, discs, wings, etc. that will presumably be made of a stiff unyielding plastic, could Mattel design these so that they are removable from the figure's back to maximize posability, or will they be permanently attached like capes on previous MOTUC figures?

There is no universal rule used to determine tthis. Bill Benecke and the Four Horsemen discuss this on a figure-by-figure basis.

2. King Tycho & King Kahn: Could Mattel offer 6-month subscriptions (which would help for those who missed out on 12-month subscriptions) and/or a lump sum payment for subscriptions, as opposed to payments spread across the year?

No, 2010 subscriptions are closed. Make sure to jump in on the 2011 subscription when it is offered this summer! We did offer a lump sum subscription in 2009 and very few fans were interested so we removed that option for 2010.

3. sailoruranus: Thank you for fixing Skeletor's hand on the reissue. But Skeletor's loin cloth is still made of that very hard, unforgiving material. Could this be fixed for future Skeletor figures or reissues? The figure can't even be posed in a seated position without ripping the material.

You’ll find that much like Battle Cat and He-Man when, and if, we do a ride for Skeletor he will fit perfectly in the saddle. We’ll look at ensuring the softer plastic is used on the loin cloths as much as possible.

4. robaczek: Why not make a figure available for presale right up until it goes into production, then produce enough figures to satisfy presales (for non-subscribers) + subscription sales + a slight bump for any fans who may come along on the release date? Wouldn't this help give you more accurate production numbers when the figures are released 6 or 7 months later, while helping to avoid a lot of fans missing out on the figures who then have to wait upwards of a year for a possible re-release?

This is just not the way the line is set up to work. Production issues and delays can often change which figure is being offered from the original plan and we often do not know which figure is for which month until very close to the sale date. It is much easier from a logistical standpoint to offer a full year subscription as a pre-sale option that guarantees one figure a month without being specific on who that figure is.

5. Snake Hunter: Apart from Wun-Dar and the Eternian Map, when will we know more about the additional subscription surprises that were promised?

Subscribers were offered free shipping on one Battle Cat. There may be other similar offers later in 2010 for subscribers only.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 33!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    And, have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 31 questions!

I wouldn't mind getting $8 off on all the larger items this year - ESPECIALLY Tytus, since he's going to be $40.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Not loving the "figure by figure" answer for the large plastic discs and we finally have a solid answer on the pre-sales, which makes sense...but sucks for those that really wanted them.

Loving the other offers that MIGHT come to subscribers later this year!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Actually I was charged $20 for shipping of Battle Cat (hoping my order gets processed).
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

What will really be interesting is in 2011, if they go with the all-inclusive subscription - they won't really need to issue coupon codes like this, since the subscription will already cover the purchase of all items automatically. It'll be interesting to see if subscribers would end up getting items at automatically reduced rpices.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Warrior
    How convienant! A day after the WORST sales date in the history if the line to date, a new Q&A session. And look! 2 plugs for the 2011 sub! They're 0-3 in terms of missives sent since yesterday in that regard.

I wonder why other two lines that offer presales don't have the kind of logistic problems mentioned? Could it be because a trained monkey would likely be able to manage distribution and billing than DR has to date?!? I mean, what would be so hard about not charging the customer until the product they ordered through pre-sales ship?

Is DR really that inefficient and their CSRs so poorly trained they can't manage what other companies have done successfully for YEARS???
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    There was nothing wrong with Skeletors hand to fix!! I don't like it when the word "fix" is used as i am perfectly happy with my open hand Skeletor.

Yes, thank you for changing the hand for those who wanted it but a lot of fans also want to see open "spell casting" hands on mages!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

JVS3: Although Toyguru supplies these Q&As he's not the one who answers them. The answers come from Mattel's PR & Legal dept (as he clarified in the last WTFWTK).

Widget
    4. robaczek: Why not make a figure available for presale right up until it goes into production, then produce enough figures to satisfy presales (for non-subscribers) + subscription sales + a slight bump for any fans who may come along on the release date? Wouldn't this help give you more accurate production numbers when the figures are released 6 or 7 months later, while helping to avoid a lot of fans missing out on the figures who then have to wait upwards of a year for a possible re-release?

This is just not the way the line is set up to work. Production issues and delays can often change which figure is being offered from the original plan and we often do not know which figure is for which month until very close to the sale date. It is much easier from a logistical standpoint to offer a full year subscription as a pre-sale option that guarantees one figure a month without being specific on who that figure is.

Maybe that method of doing pre-orders won't work, but there certainly are ways of making it happen. Perhaps they should wait on annoucing figures until they are POSITIVE they will be released. Then, have a brief pre-order period before the figure is released. Don't tell me it can't work because they do it with video games and movies all the time. Collector's Edition games have pre-orders and once they are gone, they are gone.

5. Snake Hunter: Apart from Wun-Dar and the Eternian Map, when will we know more about the additional subscription surprises that were promised?

Subscribers were offered free shipping on one Battle Cat. There may be other similar offers later in 2010 for subscribers only.

I don't know about anyone else but I didn't get "free" shipping. I got discounted shipping. But I couldn't even use that because it took too damn long to get the coupon to work. I ended up with nothing yesterday!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    JVS3: Although Toyguru supplies these Q&As he's not the one who answers them. The answers come from Mattel's PR & Legal dept (as he clarified in the last WTFWTK).
    Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I love how he keeps plugging that 2011 subscription.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    It's still accurate, if that's all true. TG forwards the questions to those departments, they forward them back and he forwards them to Val.

So...TG is PROVIDING answers to our questions, not necessarily ANSWERING them.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior

i don't get this explanation. why would you need to be 100% certain about the release schedule to do pre-orders? i pre-ordered a DVD set on amazon once and the item was canceled prior to its release, and they just sent me an email saying, sorry this item was canceled, your credit card will not be charged. what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I always try to maintain a peaceful sate of mind, still I'm very direct in many of my posts; but that answer clearly insult my intelligence.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    One more bucket-load of BS ! Sorry, but except the infect propaganda for the lame 2011 subscription, these answers are really hollow, in my humble opinion. Some are even like salt on a sore wound...

I hope the guys at MaHell and Toyguru realize that we need some other kind of answers, and that what was globally answered in this round of questions won't satisfy the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's still accurate, if that's all true. TG forwards the questions to those departments, they forward them back and he forwards them to Val.

So...TG is PROVIDING answers to our questions, not necessarily ANSWERING them.
    Yes, I know he's still Mattel's spokesperson. But he did specify that he's not the one answering these questions. I don't want a repeat of last rounds Q&A where it was assumed that he was the one telling us Illumina was only a fan pitch.

I just think it would be helpful to separate his statements from those of the Mattel legal dept, instead of saying at the start of each Q&A "Thanks again to him for taking the time to answer these".
    Last edited by RocketPunch; February 17, 2010 at 06:18pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The whole answer to a pre-sale option is BS. If a figure has to get pushed back, it's pushed back. At some point the figure will be released and whoever pre-ordered would still get their figures. I don't mind paying 6-8 months in advance to guarantee that I can get a figure. The people at Mattel really think that their customers are morons.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eternia23 View Post
    i don't get this explanation. why would you need to be 100% certain about the release schedule to do pre-orders? i pre-ordered a DVD set on amazon once and the item was canceled prior to its release, and they just sent me an email saying, sorry this item was canceled, your credit card will not be charged. what's the big deal?
    Apparently they don't want to go with the pre-order route (according to a recent post by ToyGuru over on the Matty forums) because they are worried about fans get angry if/when an item gets delayed or canceled.

However, I think most fans would be happier with that option than the current one of having to battle everyone else during a very limited time frame on Matty's website to get the figures, and hope that no glitches occur to screw it up if you do get in while the items are still technically in stock.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I like answer #5.

Quote Originally Posted by eternia23 View Post
    That is exactly why the answer is unsatisfying. BigBadToyStore.com offers preorders on items when they are RUMORS, and they get by just fine. As far as release dates slipping, look at BBTS again and you see an online retailer that occasionally has preordered items that don't get fulfilled until months after the originally expected date.

The bottom line is that Mattel makes more money and has more leeway to make unpopular figures by forcing you to get a subscription if you want to be guaranteed a figure instead of fighting with the "resellers" and hordes of actual fans at noon once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Auros View Post
    ...The bottom line is that Mattel makes more money and has more leeway to make unpopular figures by forcing you to get a subscription if you want to be guaranteed a figure instead of fighting with the "resellers" and hordes of actual fans at noon once a month.
    The sad thing is, until my horrible customer service experience months ago, I would have been more likely to buy the unpopular figures. Now, I'm being especially choosy with the figures I'm buying.

I still don't like how they are shilling the 2011 Subscription but won't entertain the idea of releasing a second half 2010 Sub

I already have 1 sub and I want to buy a second one. They don't have to dangle a carrot like Wun-Dar like they did for the full 2010 sub, people missing out on these figures is enough of a selling point for the half sub.

They keep saying the only way to ensure you get these figures is to buy a Sub so make it available again from She-Ra (June) onwards

The pre-order answer is very weak. There has only ever been one delay, which was Adora and that was only a month. Many, many other companies do pre-orders. There is no reason why Matty can't.

I find the coupon mention insulting as I feel it's the main thing that kept me from being able to order Battle Cat before he sold out because their site could not process a single thing without stalling for minutes at a time! I'd rather have a stupid free sticker than a useless coupon code, jerks.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I am REALLY hoping for more of the shipping discounts like we got on BC!! Subscribers deserve it for paying double shipping on nearly a monthly basis for bonus and re-issue items. The shipping is killing us!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    2. King Tycho & King Kahn: Could Mattel offer 6-month subscriptions (which would help for those who missed out on 12-month subscriptions) and/or a lump sum payment for subscriptions, as opposed to payments spread across the year?

No, 2010 subscriptions are closed. Make sure to jump in on the 2011 subscription when it is offered this summer! We did offer a lump sum subscription in 2009 and very few fans were interested so we removed that option for 2010.
    Hi TG! Could you please clarify this anwer a bit more. The 2009 fall sub was offered in May 2009 when the line was still fresh. There have been many more fans getting into collecting MOTUC after that. With the fast sell-out times and Mattel's plan in keeping figures available only for a few hours, couldn't Mattel atleast see if there's fan interest in a subscription for the rest of 2010?

Heidi

EDIT: And about the pre-orders. I've bought pre-order products before, as I believe have most adult collectors. Delays are something that happen often so people are used to that. I personally don't care if a product is delayed as long as it's on it's way. Sometimes even cancellations happen, but that is just how things go. I can't see people being majorly upset about cancellations. I think the major upset comes for being left-out more than from not getting the figure.
    Last edited by Heidi; February 18, 2010 at 02:03am.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback