Thread: What about Double Trouble?

What about Double Trouble?

I always thought this character was interesting - BECAUSE of the fact that she was rarely used (she doesn't even appear in the cartoon series). Hopefully, she finds her way into the MOTUC series.

I consider Double Trouble to be the Zodac of the original She-Ra toyline. You see, Zodac was labeled as the "Evil Cosmic Enforcer" when he was first released, but his character would evolve over the years to be Neutral to Heroic - never evil. So the evil interpretation of the character was short-lived. Speculation on Zodac's allegiance-shifting points to Mattel wanting to balance out the number of evil figures to good ones (see the Wikipedia bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodak). Though Double Trouble was labeled as good in the toy line, I consider her to be evil (her name and role as a spy help, as well as her original prototype color scheme) - Catra needs all the help she can get.

Here's my fleshed out bio for Double Trouble
    (influenced by her Wikipedia entry):

Double Trouble was born as the princess of the Kingdom of Green Glade. She is cousin to Glimmer, and similar to Glimmer, was born with magical abilities. Double has the ability to make a magical duplicate of herself. Before she explored the extent of her own powers, she witnessed her cousin Glimmer's growing abilities and became jealous. She sought out a way to increase her abilities. She ventured to Mystacor for the guidance of Castaspella, only to be told to "be patient". She was soon approached by dark Horde magicians, who promised her exactly what she sought.

Through Horde magic, Double's powers were augmented, allowing her to cast powerful mirror-like illusions, and change her appearance to look like anything she could think of. There, however was a side affect: Double could still split herself into two entities, but her personality was split between the two. One entity polarized into the inherently good-natured persona (Green Double Trouble with blonde hair), the other was inherently evil (Blue and Purple Double Trouble with black hair - prototype colors). Because of the Horde magic, the evil Double Trouble was the more powerful portion, and could force the good portion to merge into one at will.

Double Trouble is most powerful when merged into one entity. With the evil portion in command, Double willing serves the Horde. But if the evil portion experiences physical trauma, or becomes incapacitated, the good portion can "split" off and escape (and work with the Rebellion), or take control of the one body. Both portions of Double's personality are eternally struggling to control the one form - which is when they are at their most powerful.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

I always wondered about her character. I wasn't even sure where she came from. Sadly I have only see the cartoon.

Thanks for the info.
    Shevona
    JemCon 2009
    Convention Chair

"I was definitely born in the wrong decade; I love all things 80's!"

www.jemcon.org
    www.beyondjem.com
    Trader thread
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...54#post2394854

I always used her as a spy changing intgo a villian to find out thier plans(just like her transformers counterpart Punch/counterpunch)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

She's definitely a POP enigma. I think, judging for her original blue/purple paint scheme, she was perhaps intended as a villain. She definitely would have been a good fit.
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

I always considered her to be more of a confused/conflicted person. Maybe with some kind of psychological disorder or just really bad trust issues. I imagined her to be something like Faith from the Buffy series. She could go either way and help out the good guys or she could totally turn on them.

Definitely one of the more interesting characters...maybe because we know so little. Cant wait until they make her in MOTUC (hopefully) and we get a juicy bio.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I have always considered Loni from the Princess of Power episode "Friendship" to be Double Trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I have always considered Loni from the Princess of Power episode "Friendship" to be Double Trouble.
    I agree- this would work in MOTUC, in my opinion, and could be combined with the Series Guide's bio for her (being related to Glimmer- NB: neither she nor Angella were in 'Friendship').
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    I always considered her to be more of a confused/conflicted person. Maybe with some kind of psychological disorder or just really bad trust issues. I imagined her to be something like Faith from the Buffy series. She could go either way and help out the good guys or she could totally turn on them.
    Hmmm, interesting idea. Making Double Trouble more of a Jeckyll & Hyde sort of character might've been a really cool way of bringing her into the old series; although, I have a feeling Filmation probably would've had her become a good guy in the end.

I always considered her a villain. There just weren't enough evil females in the line.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

I thought she was a villain for the longest time...I like the spy angle as a hero character though. It makes sense to me.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I thought she was a villain for the longest time...I like the spy angle as a hero character though. It makes sense to me.
    Well, the few times she makes an appearance in coloring book stories, she's shown as being a friend to the Rebellion merely posing as evil simply to feed information back to the Rebellion...I vaguely remember the story in the tv ads that went with her character during the 80s when her doll was released. But I'm darned if I can find any trace of the original tv ads for the doll. There must've been some even though she never made her debut in the cartoon to launch her doll. I remember it was around the time that the characters of Netossa, Perfuma and Spinnerella were introduced and released but that was also the time when the future of the cartoon was doubtful and of course shortly after that the series was canned and the dolls disappeared off market shelves.

This scene is from one of the coloring books

[IMG][/IMG]

I doubt She-Ra would have been discussing Rebellion business openly before Double Trouble if she were truly evil.
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

I don't get why everyone thinks her prototype colors make her seem like a villain. Her colors were blue and purple. That's the same colors that glimmer was in the cartoon and she doesn't look evil at all. Just because she changed colors doesn't mean she was intended to be of the opposite allignment either. I wonder if there is any info in mattel's archives that could put the rumor to rest if she was originally meant to be evil. Maybe toyguru has come across this info at some point or another

It's more about being hopeful that she was meant to be a villain. Despite literature that presents here as a hero, I always hoped she'd turn out to be a villain - similar to the allegiance switches that happened with Zodac.

This thread wasn't intended to promote the rumor that DT was a villain, it was more to present why she could be BOTH a hero and a villain in the MOTUC line. The POP toy line is painfully absent of villains, and it never made sense to me why there's a toy line with almost all good guys. And since we won't have any Filmation figures for the foreseeable future in MOTUC, the Horde/Catra can use all the help they can get.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185146.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    For me, the dark hair suggests not so light and cheery. Blond Jeannie had her older sister brunette Jeannie, who'd come in and try to ruin her life. Samantha's fun loving cousin Serena would stop by to visit and stir things up a little. Morticia Addams was very dark and serious compared to her sister the fair Ophelia Frump.

However, some of the greatest heroines have been brunette.

I wouldn't think Double Trouble was intended to be a villainess though. Seemed to me like they just changed color scheme. Maybe I'm wrong. But as a master of disguise, how cool is it to think she could change her hair color and cloths and everyone would think her someone else entirely?
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    For me, the dark hair suggests not so light and cheery. Blond Jeannie had her older sister brunette Jeannie, who'd come in and try to ruin her life. Samantha's fun loving cousin Serena would stop by to visit and stir things up a little. Morticia Addams was very dark and serious compared to her sister the fair Ophelia Frump.

However, some of the greatest heroines have been brunette.

I wouldn't think Double Trouble was intended to be a villainess though. Seemed to me like they just changed color scheme. Maybe I'm wrong. But as a master of disguise, how cool is it to think she could change her hair color and cloths and everyone would think her someone else entirely?
    Your Jeannie and Samantha references are EXACTLY what were in the back of my mind when thinking about evil Double Trouble! I guess they were buried in my subconscious, but they definitely influenced my opinion on the matter.

I just think that they made some poor judgement when planning the line out. As much as I love it, the blatant lack of villains remains a favorite mystery of mine.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    She NEEDS to be made. Not sure about the 2 separate entities though.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I see her as originally having been a heroic Rebel who due to whatever reasons could believably pose as Horde ally in order to gain intel.

My personal preference for her is she is a mercenary with shifting allegiances, but that's her My-therian story
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    Hmmm, interesting idea. Making Double Trouble more of a Jeckyll & Hyde sort of character might've been a really cool way of bringing her into the old series; although, I have a feeling Filmation probably would've had her become a good guy in the end.

I always considered her a villain. There just weren't enough evil females in the line.

I use Double Trouble as a hero who infiltrates the Horde in my Princess of Power web comic, but I really like the Jeckyll & Hyde aspect. It's a unique trait that would give the character a lot of depth. In fact, I liked the idea so much I drew up a comparison of good and evil Double Trouble using the color schemes from the released figure and the prototype.

Last edited by ZacMasters; June 10, 2012 at 11:24pm.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

I've always thought there was never enough fan art of Double Trouble about. I've always wondered how she would look if she'd had a Filmation character model sheet too. Anyway...this is my version & I thought I'd share

Double Trouble_tb.png

Personally if she were re-made as a doll or action figure, I still can't think of a better alternative than a switchable head or face with different expressions to incorporate her different aspects.
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

She's definitely a member of the Great Rebellion IMO. Regardless, she needs to be made in Classics sooner rather than later. Man-E-Faces is getting lonely ...
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Yes I would like to see her in MOTUC as well as what her bio is, like Zodac she is a bit of enigma, maybe even more so.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Most likely, she'll be a Great Rebellion gal, but she'll always be a villain hangin' out with Catra and Entrapta in my collections. Hopefully, she'll have an optional Horde chest plate, similar to the FFM.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I thought she was a villainess too given her name, but after researching her online I accept that she is a good member of The Great Rebellion who spies on The Evil Horde.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

There is a foreign poster (not sure what market it was from) that showed almost of all the released POP characters. It shows Double Trouble on the Horde side of the poser instead of being with the rebellion.

I guess in a way it makes sense. If she is a spy that has infiltrated the ranks of the Horde then she should be grouped with them.

One more vote that she is fighting for the side of the rebellion.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!