Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wonder woman and the star riders

wonder woman and the star riders

now that Mattel and DC are in love and working togheter makin corssover figures and all thas stuff, do you guys think they should make these toys a la MOTUC?

I´d love it, really

I like WW a lot and would love to see her MOTUCized

I had no idea of the existence of this stuff but someone mentioned them here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=172534

so I searched and found these links

http://dcwhocares.blogspot.com/2008/...romo-mini.html

http://toyotter.com/actiongirl/starriders/

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I would like to see them released. Tallstar gave the idea to make She-Ra vs. Wonder Woman a ToysRUs two-pack with this comic. I think it would be a PERFECT way to get these figures made.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'd buy them. They are SO over-the-top, I couldn't resist!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Hey! That's Frosta! and Glimmer!! Spinnerella?
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

Oh yeah, I would be aaalllll over these! There's actually even a proposed Supergirl shown in Back Issue Magazine from a few years back. Andy Mangels did a whole article on them and he interviewed the folks from DC who were involved at the time. Some really interesting stuff... Like the original comic was made using vegetable inks (or something like that) in case little girls tried to eat it...LOL

Anyhow, Darkspecter was saying in another thread how it would be neat if there was a link between the Star Riders and The Star Sisters from POP. Since The Star Sisters are not native to Etheria, they could've come from Wonder Woman's universe and Purrsia could've been the evil Sorceress who trapped The Star Sisters in the shooting star and sent them into space.

Am I surprised that so far WE are the ones responding??

no.

Now, HECK YES I WOULD BUY THESE!!

I think the She-Ra vs. WW (in star-rider garb) would be REALLY cool. WW has appeared in several comics in outfits similar to her Star Riders outfit... and the idea that the Star Sisters could have come from the DC Universe is an excellent idea.

Toyguru said they might do multi-packs on mattycollector of DCUC figures.

I have a feeling that if we see the Star Riders, they will be done as repaint/kit-bashes of existing (and to come) DCUC females.. which is fine with me.

This would be a great multipack.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

This is what Year 2 Supergirl was gonna look like.

I've never seen that Supergirl pic before! That's rad!!!! I think this line is so campy, which is why I love it so much. It's silly and pretty and fun. Which is why it will never be done. (SIGH)
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Sigh. I remember wanting these as a kid! That comic came in a box of cereal or something, right?

I'd be all over them. Not sure I'd want them as MOTUC. A release as originally intended would be cool, though!

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

Anyhow, Darkspecter was saying in another thread how it would be neat if there was a link between the Star Riders and The Star Sisters from POP. Since The Star Sisters are not native to Etheria, they could've come from Wonder Woman's universe and Purrsia could've been the evil Sorceress who trapped The Star Sisters in the shooting star and sent them into space.
    This reminds me a lot of the Sailor Galaxia story arc from the last season of Sailor Moon.

Tallstar Power Make Up!
    Jewelstar Power Make Up!
    Starla Beautiful Power Make UP!

queue music...

My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

This is what Year 2 Supergirl was gonna look like.
    OMG I never knew about her before! That's awesome.

Vegetable inks in case little girls try to EAT the comics... That's awesome.

They MUST release them all. Can I link my bank account to Mattel directly?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Uuuuugh definetely not! We have enough in MOTUC without adding anymore outside influence. DCUC crossovers were bad enough but now to get something that has absolutely nothing to do with MOTU at all? Nah MOTUC has enough staying power without adding other licenses. If it got it`s own line fine but not in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I agree. That would be about the only way that I could consider Kara cool (sure I liked her in Smallville, but I'm still uber mad that they retconned Matrix/Linda Danvers out. She/they were the definitive Supergirl for me.)

I wouldn't mind this line included. I could live without Wonder Woman though. The others seem cool, I just wish there were more female villians. Even if Filmation could be included the female villians are still massively out numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    If it got it`s own line fine but not in MOTUC
    yup, being a separate line but MOTUC influenced would be cool for me

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    I agree. That would be about the only way that I could consider Kara cool (sure I liked her in Smallville, but I'm still uber mad that they retconned Matrix/Linda Danvers out. She/they were the definitive Supergirl for me.)

I wouldn't mind this line included. I could live without Wonder Woman though. The others seem cool, I just wish there were more female villians. Even if Filmation could be included the female villians are still massively out numbered.
    How could the remove Wonder Woman from WONDER WOMAN and the StarRiders?!

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdeanda View Post
    yup, being a separate line but MOTUC influenced would be cool for me
    Would also work for me, a classics DC comics inspired line focused on certain classic series or mini series would also be cool, they could a WW and Starriders side series!!

There's tons of cool factoids like that. Solara is based on JLU's "Fire", but they changed her name because they didn't want to send out the message to little girls that it was cool to play with fire. heh

Apparently DC were the ones who approached Mattel about doing this line of dolls, and all of them were going to come with mini-comics (created by DC) like the MOTU, POP and NA figures. All of the mini-comics were made. Some of them still exist within employee collections. The dolls went through 3 prototype versions before final ones were selected and the belts on them doubled as rings.

Mattel actually did A LOT to promote this at Toy Fair. For example, there was a pass that allowed attendees to see a live-action Wonder Woman giving a message on a monitor, which was then interrupted by a live-action Purrsia. This eventually cut to early CGI animation of the dolls. I'm guessing something similar to the NA one that surfaced.

The animated special got pretty far too. They practically finished all of the animation and were getting ready to color when everything fell apart. They even showed a 30 second promo one time at San Diego Comic Con. It was only shown that one time.

There's tons of cool factoids like that. Solara is based on JLU's "Fire", but they changed her name because they didn't want to send out the message to little girls that it was cool to play with fire. heh

Apparently DC were the ones who approached Mattel about doing this line of dolls, and all of them were going to come with mini-comics (created by DC) like the MOTU, POP and NA figures. All of the mini-comics were made. Some of them still exist within employee collections. The dolls went through 3 prototype versions before final ones were selected and the belts on them doubled as rings.

Mattel actually did A LOT to promote this at Toy Fair. For example, there was a pass that allowed attendees to see a live-action Wonder Woman giving a message on a monitor, which was then interrupted by a live-action Purrsia. This eventually cut to early CGI animation of the dolls. I'm guessing something similar to the NA one that surfaced.

The animated special got pretty far too. They practically finished all of the animation and were getting ready to color when everything fell apart. They even showed a 30 second promo one time at San Diego Comic Con. It was only shown that one time.
    AHHHH! Everything about this screamed majesty! This is so awesome and depressing at the same time.

Since the mini-comics exist, they could release these figures with them! I wonder why this line fell apart? This sounds like the second-best toyline of mainly females of all time! (first being PoP. )

it would be cool if someone from mattel showed us more concept arts and better quality photos of the dolls

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdeanda View Post
    it would be cool if someone from mattel showed us more concept arts and better quality photos of the dolls
    Heres a few

I wonder why this line fell apart? This sounds like the second-best toyline of mainly females of all time! (first being PoP. )
    There are two opposing views as to what happened.

Boyd Kirkland said that Mattel were getting a luke-warm response from retailers and they were kind of nervous about taking on another action-oriented female toy line.

Rick Taylor disagreed and said that it had nothing to do with disinterest, but rather there was an internal legal battle as to who owned the animation. He also said that the DCU "boys" were dead set against Wonder Woman going in this direction. Apparently the editors were very negative about this project and didn't care whatsoever when it failed to happen. I think the article said that DC's female president at the time brought the project to Mattel.

Wonder Woman could re-use Starburst She-Ra's cape and they could all use the Star Sister's star wands! A lot of the skirts can be re-used from PoP girls too if they start making them two-piece outfits!

Tallstar: If Mattel Legal ended up making the line fail, that's very, very sad. Boys making it end when it's clearly marketed for girls to help show them women are powerful...that would be stupid. Retailers I could see...but again. BOO!

EDIT: I asked the question in the "Ask Matty" forum along with pictures.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...206#7661083206
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 19, 2010 at 03:05pm.

Tallstar: If Mattel Legal ended up making the line fail, that's very, very sad. Boys making it end when it's clearly marketed for girls to help show them women are powerful...that would be stupid. Retailers I could see...but again. BOO!
    I didn't get the impression that Mattel legal had anything to do with it. Warner were handling the animation. I dunno. I pulled out the issue. Here's the quote:

Rather than disinterest in the toys, Taylor says that a more legal deathtrap killed the project. "Ultimately it fell apart over who owned the animation. Whether the toys would have been successful remains to be seen. All I remember is how dead-set against it the DCU boys were and all I could think was 'you don't own Wonder Woman and what's the worst that could happen, DC could make a fortune off this'"
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 19, 2010 at 04:06pm.

Yeah, at that point in time, Wonder Woman was written less campy and more towards a realistic direction - more ambassador and less superhero.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

I didn't get the impression that Mattel legal had anything to do with it. Warner were handling the animation. I dunno. I pulled out the issue. Here's the quote:

Rather than disinterest in the toys, Taylor says that a more legal deathtrap killed the project. "Ultimately it fell apart over who owned the animation. Whether the toys would have been successful remains to be seen. All I remember is how dead-set against it the DCU boys were and all I could think was 'you don't own Wonder Woman and what's the worst that could happen, DC could make a fortune off this'"
    Kenner had the rights for some DC properties in the early 90s, at least Batman Returns and the Animated show, maybe that was the legal trouble

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Heres a few

wow, thanx so much for that WW pic n____n
    Last edited by carlosdeanda; February 19, 2010 at 05:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost