Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone saw MOTU The movie in a theater back in 1987?

Let's see, this was summer of 1987? I saw it with my sister and parents and one of my sister's friends. I loved it! I haven't seen it since then I don't think (I have the DVD coming)! I missed the Secret of the Sword (and that IMO is a better movie). I'll see this again soon!
    Very into MOTU right now! Going through the cartoons FINALLY! Had the complete collection for a while now and since I got an LCD Widescreen TV for X-mas, it gives me reason to watch them!
    When me and my sister and her friend got home, I remember that more vividly than the movie because we role played scenes from it in my childhood home's kitchen. Of course, I expected a sequel.
    My Sis was into She-ra and it was cool that we could sit down and watch the same cartoons together. She had a lot of She-ra's collection. I had most of the MOTU series. It's all gone now. Lost in too many moves for both of us. My sister's friend that rp'd MOTU after the movie was the matron of honor at my sis's wedding and JUST held my sis's first kid's baby shower.
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
    UP TO DATE WANT LIST FOR COMICS (REG. SIZE NOT MINI FIGURE COMICS): http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=186577

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I was about 11/12 years old back then. I remember seeing it at the mall in a general cinema. I don't really have any fond memories about the experience. I liked the movie but I remember I wanted more.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

I saw it TWICE in theaters!

I was 6.
    I remember seeing it right when it came out and loving it... but wondering why He-Man was so different from the cartoon.
    While I was back to school shopping, my mom bought me a pair of shoes from a store in the mall that offered two movie tickets with the purchase.
    So I chose to see Masters again!
    I think I liked it even more the second time because I didn't expect it to be like the cartoon anymore.

I was lucky enough to see Secret of the Sword in theaters as well.
    "Tell me about the loneliness of good, He-Man. Is it equal to the loneliness of evil?"

Saw it back in 87 at a small theater.
    I need to watch it again.

I was subscribed, through the mail, to the MOTU magazine! I had every issue at one point, but all (sigh!) were well read and thrown in the trash eventually. I knew what to expect from those magazines, so He-man not being like the cartoon was not strange to me. I might work on collecting those (now VERY pricey!) magazines again when I complete all the comic book back issues I'm collecting from 80's toy/toon genre's. Pretty dang near complete! I think I'd rather have those over the mini comics honestly.
    UP TO DATE WANT LIST FOR COMICS (REG. SIZE NOT MINI FIGURE COMICS): http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=186577

I saw it the day it came out. I was 12. And it was awesome.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Widget
    I was 5 when I saw it with my Mom,dad and little brother.We were the only people to stay in our seats till the theater cleared during the end credits and to our suprise saw Skeletor pop out and say "I'll be back!".

Heroic Warrior
    I was fortunate to see both Masters Of The Universe and The Secret Of The Sword in the theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    I was fortunate to see both Masters Of The Universe and The Secret Of The Sword in the theaters.
    I was lucky to see both as well! My mom was good about taking me to see movies like Ladyhawke, Return to Oz, The Last Unicorn, Willow, and The Neverending Story. She knew how excited I was to go and see the Masters of the Universe movie, so we went to see it opening night at a small theatre near our house (roughly an hour outside of Atlanta). There was a line of people waiting to get in. I was seven years old at the time.

Some of the things that I remember:

My sister went with us, and when He-Man first appeared onscreen, I heard her sigh, "Mmmmmmmm." lol.

Overall I was disappointed, and didn't like how many characters were absent and that so little time was spent on Eternia. When Gwildor, Karg, Saurod, and Blade appeared, my mom kept saying, "I don't remember those... who are those guys?" Now, years later, I can answer her question... "Low budget replacements for Orko, Trap Jaw, Mer-Man, and Tri-Klops." I enjoyed the animated Secret of the Sword film much better.

Also, I remember thinking that the Sorceress looked too old, and that she and Teela especially looked very different from their toy counterparts. The character that I liked the most was Evil-Lyn. She looked a bit different as well, but her portrayal was so spot-on that it didn't matter. I thought Skeletor's face looked gummy. *laughing* Like if I were able to press my finger to his face, it would sink in and leave an indentation where I had poked him.

Cheesy movie, good memories!

I remember when I saw it!
    It was in December 1987, I watched it with my grand-mother!

Hey! Thats my 1000th post!
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Warrior of the Inferno Brimstone's Avatar
    Yep I saw it at a local cinema.
    My Fan-Fic projects:

Eternia: The Dark Years: Enter Eternia a world that has fallen to the hands of the Evil Horde.
    Coming Soon:Roots 2: Fear stalks Primus. (A NA sequel to Roots by Brimstone and Thew40)

My art (mostly MOTU related ) please feel free to comment.

I didn't see it in theaters, but my uncle had a copy of it on laser disc! I watched it all the time.

I did get a chance to see it in theaters last year at a midnight screening. It was the original 35mm film. The crowd really got into it.

Adroit Academic Professor Griffin's Avatar
    Oh man. I had just turned 7 and had to see this. My mom took my little brother and me to a matinee at a local theater in Valley Stream, NY. There was a bit of hub-bub in the middle of the showing, apparently a dude wanted by the police had snuck in and they arrested him in the back row... I had no idea. Being a retarded seven year old* I just wanted to watch the movie, I wouldn't let us leave.

*Not actually, just the kind of innocent dumb that is appropriate for that age.
    Zodac is the name for God on the lips of all fanboys.

I did! I was 8 and watched it with my dad (the movie arrived here much later - in 1988).
    I was old enough to assimilate and enjoy the differences and the darker tone of the film -- but too young to realize they came to Earth just to save the studios' money. I still like this film.

Many people here in Brazil thinks I'm lying when I say that I watched MOTU on a theater - because this film vanished in a week or so. It was a giant failure in Brazil and gone so quickly that many people believe MOTU was directly released on VHS.

I can remember going and seeing the movie in the theatre…the theatre was PACKED!!! At the end when He-Man stood in front of Castle Grayskull and said "I have the power", EVERYONE stood up and cheered!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I was 11 at the time and I did see it in a theater for the first time. I remember being extremely confused and a little disappointed by the fact that there was no Prince Adam, there were so many invented characters and about the general discrepancies between the movie and the cartoon.
    Let the power return!!

I was ten at the time and saw it in my home town of East Kilbride, Scotland in the old moviehouse, now a bingo hall.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

i saw it in Hanover ma... with me dad...then went out n got the sticker book!
    GIMME TOYS!-

Heroic Warrior
    I was 10 and remember thinking why Storm Troopers worked for Skeletor and that Evil Lyn should have lent her gold body armor to Teela. I loved it but remember those things sticking out.

Heroic Warrior
    I was 12 when my mom took me, two of my younger sisters (the 3rd one wasn't born yet), and my brother (who had just turned one) to see it. The one thing I clearly remember was taking a quick glance at my brother to see if he was enjoying the movie, only to see him trying to pretend that he was in the movie's battle scenes.

I do have it on both VHS & DVD, and I still tease him about his little escapade. (Ironically, this one was his first movie, which makes it extra special.)
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi

"So, good people defend stupid people? Then good people become Batman."--Leo Holt

Heroic Warrior
    I was 11 or 12 and saw it in a theatre in our local mall. Its now a science theatre for the local tv station but everytime I pass it I remeber all the great films I saw there: MOTU, Transformers (cartoon movie), GI Joe ( cartoon movie), All of the original Star Wars ( ep 4 was shown with Empire as a double), Original Clash of the Titans, and 6 pack an old Kenney Rogers film. Nothing special about the Kenny Rogers movie except the trip to Hills before the film where I got some new action figure that looked like Conan but was called He Man .

I went when I was 13, going on 14 with my dad. To be honest I felt a bit embarrassed going, knowing it was a kid thing, which I was probably getting too old for (!). Anyhow I sorta remember when Lubric got surrounded by the Skele-troopers and was like "ah ****!", which made my dad laugh and I felt vindicated.

I was a bit disappointed the movie didn't more closely follow the series but I was just glad and amazed that He-man had finally made it to the big screen. I Didn't like Skeletor much, He just didn't look skull-like enough to me. But I survived. Gwildor reminded me of Hoggle (?) from Labyrinth. Overall I liked it. I didn't hate it. And I'm glad it was made, and made when it was.
    Last edited by skeletorrobo; June 25, 2010 at 07:55am.
    How do you like that, hero!

yup i was 8 and was in the bay area. i loved it then and still do.

I actually remember seeing it on TV, probably in the very early 90s. I had already been a huge little obsessed fan of the cartoons and toys, but I never knew there was a movie. It happened to come on TV one weekend... and I pretty much flipped out.

My mom also thought the movie "Sheena" was a She-Ra movie....

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I went and saw the live action MOTU and the Secret of the Sword in theatres.

I actually remember Secret of the Sword more so than the live action film. I think since I was only 7 when the live action film came out I was really confused when all the characters I loved so much didn't look the same as the toys.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!