Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom MOTUC Castle Grayskull Project...

Heroic Warrior

Custom MOTUC Castle Grayskull Project...

As soon as my MOTUC collection started getting bigger, I thought... what if there was a CG playset for these figs... I looked on line to see if Matty had any plans to make one or if anyone had decided to make their own. To my surprise, I came across Joe Amaro's work of art. I was so impressed that I decided to try and make one for myself. Only I wanted mine to be more like the original playset. My goal is to make it tall and narrow with a right side just like the 1980's playset. So far I have a basic structure with some base clay in some areas. It is currently 29" X 41". Check back every now and again to see the progress.

Heroic Warrior
    That thing is massive . Keep posting updates because this looks very promising. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

I'm anxious to see how awesome this comes out, I can see the potential. Hopefully (soon) I'll be able to undertake such a massive project. And especially being exposed to the pics of the fantastic NECA Grayskull door and other awesome dio's here the customizing bug bit me.

Keep the pics coming, great start so far.

Oh, man, this is INSPIRING! Ingenius!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

wow, awesome!
    If I would attempt to build anything this big, my wife would probably kick me out nevertheless, its IS the size a castle should have!! Brilliant, keep the pics coming!

Wow that is a big job. Best of luck

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    This looks like one of those great customs that mattel will reference for their own grayskull design(example- Master English), Well done!!
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

Great idea! I like it!

Holy... That's one BIG CASTLE GRAYSKULL...
    Good luck with that! (That's gonna be one FREAKING SWEET CG when done!)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

That's HUGE and AWESOME!!!

I cannot wait to see more!!
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Heroic Warrior
    So far this project is on hold because I needed to figure out a way to make the base structure more solid. Right now it is very flimsy and will not support the clay needed to make an accurate representation of the castle. I've decided to try and reinforce the structure with plaster bandages, the stuff they used to use for broken arm casts... I need to buy a case which will be close to $60 so it's gonna take some time to get those. Once the whole thing is solid I will build it up with clay from the bottom up.

I have also been playing with the idea of getting the Talon fighter model kit from back in the day and have it sit on top of the castle. Or I'll just get the toy and repaint it.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Yeah, that looks big. I can't wait fot the final stage of your project.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    So far this project is on hold because I needed to figure out a way to make the base structure more solid. Right now it is very flimsy and will not support the clay needed to make an accurate representation of the castle. I've decided to try and reinforce the structure with plaster bandages, the stuff they used to use for broken arm casts... I need to buy a case which will be close to $60 so it's gonna take some time to get those. Once the whole thing is solid I will build it up with clay from the bottom up.

I have also been playing with the idea of getting the Talon fighter model kit from back in the day and have it sit on top of the castle. Or I'll just get the toy and repaint it.
    Oh man, putting Point Dread or even at least the Talon Fighter on that beast would be amazing!!!

Have you thought at all of just getting some plywood to serve as the base? Might be easier and cheaper than building up several layers of plaster bandages onto cardboard.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLobster1979 View Post
    Oh man, putting Point Dread or even at least the Talon Fighter on that beast would be amazing!!!

Have you thought at all of just getting some plywood to serve as the base? Might be easier and cheaper than building up several layers of plaster bandages onto cardboard.
    Yes, I could easily use wood and stuff like that, but I'm trying to keep it light enough so I can move it around by myself if i need to... I'm guessing the plaster bandages would dry really solid and make almost a shell around the cardboard... I might even be able to remove the existing cardboard and wood when the plaster dries but we'll see. I should of used foam but I was trying to utilize what I had laying around the house... Next time I'll spend the money on the foam

Heroic Warrior
    I went a different direction with my castle grayskull. Now I'm attempting to use a chicken wire frame with paper meche. If it dries solid enough I will add clay for more detail then paint. Here's a status pic.

Court Magician
    Looks quite impressive for a custom, this should look freaking cool when its done

Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    mekaneckpain that castle looks massive!! I’m curious, are you going to paint it green or white??

Heroic Warrior
    It's actually a toss up of green or gray. I was considering gray with a green wash but I'm leaning more towards a green with a black wash. Still not sure yet since I'm so far away from that stage.

Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior

Wow, looking good so far. I always envy people who can create so much awesome from scratch.

Heroic Warrior

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Truly impressive. It's shaping up rather nicely there. I see you have made Point Dread on the Castle. I'm curious if you have plans on a laser turret and the Talon Fighter.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!