Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you truly a collector?

Are you truly a collector?

Okay folks, it's the day after and the complaining about yesterday continues. So now I have to ask you this question. Are you truly a collector of this line because you love MOTU or are you only collecting for investment purposes? The reason I ask this is because most of you are complaining you didn't get flocked-eared Moss Man and the only reason I can see most people going after him was they have intentions of reselling him because they think he might be worth something because they made less of him. I collect because I love MOTU and "Classics" IS what I wanted back in early 2000. I'm not necessarily putting you down if all these are to you are investments, but why ***** because you missed spending money on something you not entirely guaranteed to make that much more on?
    Last edited by kagamigod; March 16, 2010 at 11:52am.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but...

I am not a reseller, nor am I collecting these as an "investment". If they happen to be worth something down the road, that's nice, but if not, no biggie. I really couldn't see myself selling off any of my collection anyway unless I were to get into a really, really bad financial bind and had no other choice.

I am frustrated as to how yesterday went down, and this was the first time I wasn't able to get my order in (and I've almost always been online ahead of time so that I can get these right when they go on sale, including yesterday).

I was amongst those complaining about Moss Man having flocked ears when the pics of the sample figure Mattel got from the factory first showed up.

However, those complaints were based around the 200X-style head, which was shown at SDCC with no flocking on the ears. And I think that's what most people were complaining about. I personally had no problem with the Beastman head having flocked ears because that's how the classic figure was.

As it is, I have 2 unflocked ears Moss Man figures coming from my subscriptions (1 to keep MOC, and 1 to open). Typically for those figures that have more than 1 head, I order an extra separately so that I can display both heads at the same time.

So, I decided to try to order the flocked ears version to display that version of the Beastman head. And, just for the sake of being complestist, I was actually going to order 2 of the flocked eared versions for myself, so I could keep the other MOC (and have 1 of each version MOC). (I was also throwing in one for a friend, so the order would have been for 3 flocked eared Moss Man figures total if it had gone through).

So, at least for me, this has nothing to do with reselling. I'm actually not a fan of reselling/scalping and have stated my stance on that many times.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm a collector. I have one subscription to keep MOC and I buy one (day of) so that I can open and display them.

I chose to get a flocked ear one simply because the subscription is the unflocked one. No intentions of selling him...I just chose that one because it was different from the one I was guaranteed.

I understand resellers...and I want a Faker to display (Only have a MOC one)...but I refuse to buy from a reseller at this point. If he wasn't to be reissued, I'd have to other option, but I know he's coming soon...so I can wait.

I`ll leave you to make your own decision on whether or not I`m in because I`m a collector or trying to get these merely for profit I wanted the flocked ears version because that`s how the classic figure was and wanted to display that version MOC, but unfortunately due to a wierd glitch, matt`s system changed my order to a non flocked version by time I recieved my my order confirmation. still waiting to see if they`ll correct this for me

Last edited by adam03; March 16, 2010 at 10:25am.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    i love MOTU, but i collect to collect for myself, but i do buy multiples for purposes of trading to get items i can't get my hands on or to help maintain my addiction that is collecting!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

adam03 I see a General Lee in there. I love it. My collection is the exact opposite. Huge Dukes of Hazzard collection with a few He-Man and Hulk Hogan figures thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but...

I am not a reseller, nor am I collecting these as an "investment". If they happen to be worth something down the road, that's nice, but if not, no biggie. I really couldn't see myself selling off any of my collection anyway unless I were to get into a really, really bad financial bind and had no other choice.

I am frustrated as to how yesterday went down, and this was the first time I wasn't able to get my order in (and I've almost always been online ahead of time so that I can get these right when they go on sale, including yesterday).

I was amongst those complaining about Moss Man having flocked ears when the pics of the sample figure Mattel got from the factory first showed up.

However, those complaints were based around the 200X-style head, which was shown at SDCC with no flocking on the ears. And I think that's what most people were complaining about. I personally had no problem with the Beastman head having flocked ears because that's how the classic figure was.

As it is, I have 2 unflocked ears Moss Man figures coming from my subscriptions (1 to keep MOC, and 1 to open). Typically for those figures that have more than 1 head, I order an extra separately so that I can display both heads at the same time.

So, I decided to try to order the flocked ears version to display that version of the Beastman head. And, just for the sake of being complestist, I was actually going to order 2 of the flocked eared versions for myself, so I could keep the other MOC (and have 1 of each version MOC). (I was also throwing in one for a friend, so the order would have been for 3 flocked eared Moss Man figures total if it had gone through).

So, at least for me, this has nothing to do with reselling. I'm actually not a fan of reselling/scalping and have stated my stance on that many times.
    The flocked-eared Beast Man head would have been the only thing I wanted the flocked version for, but a head is not worth $20 bucks to me(no sexual innuendos please). I am a little upset as I was trying to order an extra Moss Man for a friend and couldn't, but am I ****** no and neither is he, because we already knew he will be reissued. So we wait and he also doesn't care which one he gets.

I am a collector of all MOTU figures and i wanted 2x of both so i could have one open and on in MOC. But the reason i want 2 of them each is because i was going to use the classic head as a villian and the new head for the heroes. Moss Man's evil Faker!

Don't worry we're laughing at you not with you!!!

Yes, I am a completists. I have to have every figure, every variation, and every card back. It is a sickness!!!
    Like anyone could even know that

I collect figures for my enjoyment, not to resell. I went to school and have a good job, so I have no need to prey on the wallets of my fellow toy collectors.

I try to collect the MOTUC figures, but the limited quantities and outlandishly fast sellout times have left me with holes in my collection, namely He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor, Faker and Moss Man.

If Mattel would make it easier to buy these figures I'd be more apt to continue with the line, but the fact that Mattel refuses to make sufficient amounts of even the flagship characters has me questioning whether I want to collect any more of these figures. It's a shame because I do love the figures and display them. But life's too short for the frustration.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

I collect it for myself, I doubt I will ever sell unless I come under dire financial straits. I throw away most of the packaging and only get one of each character.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I didn't go online to buy anything yesterday because I have no interest in the flocked eared version of Moss Man because I prefer the unflocked ears version and I already have Stratos.

I'm a collector of loose action figures and sometimes buy extra's for customs and more display variation. There are very few figures I collect mosc, most noticeably the main character to display how the figures where originally packed with artwork and all.

MOTU was my very first action figure line which gives it that special moments and precious memories place for me.

I ended up outgrowing the vintage MOTU line, mostly because of the look and construction of the figures. Same way I started to dislike the vintage Star Wars line as well. I think it's because I've grown very fond of details. I also have limited space for everything. That makes me think twice before I buy anything. I have to consider if I really like it enough and if I have the space for it. This also made me sell the 200x MOTU collection because I like the MOTUC a lot better. I sometimes perfer the 200x designs and actually see myself displaying most 2nd head figures with the alternate heads.

With the MOTUC line I very rarely have to think twice before I buy a figure (only exception so far is Mo-Larr), because I really like most the characters a lot and it brings me back to my childhood memories as well.

Ever since 2009 MOTUC became my priority #1 line to collect. They are that awesome to me!
    I still like lots of other action figure lines, but I only collect those other toy lines after MOTUC if I have the funds for it.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Widget
    I think I consider myself both a fan and a reseller (to a point). I have a HUGE collection of G.I.Joe, Transformers, and He-man figures. I love collecting them, but I also know the value of them. If later down the road, I plan on selling them, I know thanks to EBAY and craigslist I have an outlet to do so. My nephew and I got into collecting the Classics after he saw them in a toy magazine. He is 11, so what we try to do is each buy sets of two each month. What ever we have left over after we each get one, I put the rest on Ebay. BUT, I start the bidding at $15 with free shipping. I have found that doing this is actually paying for my habit. If it goes for 15, so be it, happened to me last month with Man-at-Arms. But I do not have buy it now prices of 80 to 100 dollars..that is rediculous to me. I let the bidders determine what its worth. But I can tell you that each figure that I own has a special place on my shelves that will not be leaving any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by slgcmg View Post
    Yes, I am a completists. I have to have every figure, every variation, and every card back. It is a sickness!!!
    Why though are you looking to make money on the different variations or just need help? I'm not condemning you, just tryingto get a better understanding of why anyone would feel they need every variation of any figure.

I was on the fence about getting into the line at first because it was so expensive and I was afraid I might miss a figure or two. I wanted two of each for MOC and loose display purposes. Now that I've got a son, I'm looking at these as future toys for him and also as an investment for the MOC for him as well. There is very little out of my collection aside from all of my Star Wars stuff that I intend to sell, but he might find a gem of a profit out of these when I'm gone hopefully many, many years from now.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yup, collector here. I only buy one of each figure (except army builders like Stormtroopers or Cobra soldiers) and I open them up to display (space provided). I do not buy to resell. If I do get an extra figure, like Tri-Klops (where I preordered him on BBTS just in case I couldn't get him off of Matty and forgot to cancel it when I did score him) I usually save the figure to give away at an appropriate date. I never buy a toy because it will be valuable someday. That logic is fallacious to begin with.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; March 16, 2010 at 01:23pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slgcmg View Post
    I don't consider it a sickness.
    There are so many different collectors and every collector has it's own collecting habits.

I have a need to custom change the figures if they have something about them that I dislike.

A quote from orato: "A new item may be the hottest thing around, but true collectors know what they like regardless of what the rest of society thinks. The pieces they acquire please them, and that's all they care about. Collectors like what they like, no matter what anyone else thinks."
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Have any of you noticed that the resellers aren't really replying as most are widgets with only like 4 posts to their name.

You are not going to get rich off of buying these figures and letting them sit for 10 years and trying to resell them. You may get what you paid for them back, and you may lose money.

When the horsemen worked for McFarlane I collected all the spawn figures mint in package and never got to take them out of the package to enjoy them because I thought I was "a real collector", well needless to say all those figures are sitting in storage container in my garage and are worth NOTHING.

So, yeah I open all my MOTUC figures. I enjoy my figures and havn't even considered selling them. I like to pose and display them. It brings me back to my childhood and that is worth a little more to me than stacking up mint on card figures in the corner.

I like toys. MotU were my first action figures ever, so these mean a lot to me. However, they are just friggin' cool toys, as well.

Anyway, I've never thought of them as something that would net me cash, and nowadays that's something that is much MUCH harder to come by. Old toys cost so much because nobody thought to keep them all nice and minty. If EVERYONE is trying to do that now...well, there will be A LOT on the market when folks try to sell 'em. A lot means very little payback. The real money, nowadays, is in the NEW. If it's brand new, people will pay out the nose to get it...before anyone else, I guess? I don't know who they are comparing themselves to, since you can't go on the net and find out if everyone has it yet. Not everyone anyway. So things sell for a lot more when they're new for strange and mystical reasons involving the old "must have it now" thing.

Anyway, I'm a collector of toys that I think are cool (robots, skeletons, glow-in-the-dark stuff, etc). I don't feel the need to have everything, though. I don't need every variation, and I don't need anything to be in the package (though I strangely feel the need to keep the packaging, sometimes. The ones that feel too nice to throw out, but just nice enough to collect dust in a closet...?)
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Have any of you noticed that the resellers aren't really replying as most are widgets with only like 4 posts to their name.
    I don't want to single you out, kagamigod...
    But I've seen this a few times and I thought I should address it.

Post count and number of years active here do not make anyone's opinion or fan status any more or less valid.

New members, old members, whatever...
    there are some that are here for the community, some for information, some for the marketplace.
    Many more that are here for all of that.

Let's try not to make sweeping judgments about each other based on something as silly as a post count.

Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I don't want to single you out, kagamigod...
    But I've seen this a few times and I thought I should address it.

Post count and number of years active here do not make anyone's opinion or fan status any more or less valid.

New members, old members, whatever...
    there are some that are here for the community, some for information, some for the marketplace.
    Many more that are here for all of that.

Let's try not to make sweeping judgments about each other based on something as silly as a post count.

Thanks!
    My apologies, but when I get pm's from "members", only when something is hard to find and they are looking to see if I have any for sell at cost amd you never see them post on any thread. You tell me.
    Thank you Kagamigod.

master of hiphop
    I collect, and "they" say i need help

MOTU is my drug of choice and an intervention will not work
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

I started collecting these because I was bored with what I HAD collected these past 20 + years, namely Transformers. But even then as well as now with the MOTUC figs, I open them to display and pose on my shelf. Keeping them sealed is just no fun whatsoever.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    I collect because I love MOTU and "Classics" IS what I wanted back in early 2000.
    i'm a collector, everything i buy get's opened

i didn't try buying flocked eared mossman & i don't want him. meh.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog