Thread: Australians ... please help !

Australians ... please help !

Hi folks !

I really need some answers around an ugly icident that happend yesterday to me. I hope you can help me ....

I bought an book from Ebay ... a photobook from an australian artist, iīm looking for since 2 years.
    Now .... i found it, fair price, connected with the case .... itīs a reprint from Thames & Hudson with a price of 185 AU$/116 €. The original print was down in 2002 made by Scalo ( Switzerland ) just 60 copies signed by the artists, well i donīt say the price.

The seller is from Australia, too .... he offered worldwide shipping but didnīt wrote down the price - for example, the price for shipping in Australia was 3 AU$ i remember. I didnīt asked the seller for the price ( oh well ... ) and expected something around 17-25 $. After one day, i decided to buy this book.

Just one hour later ... i got the bill from Ebay with the shipping costs of 89 AU$ !!!!!!!

Thatīs the half of the book .... it tolds me that it would shipped per "Standard International Flat Rate Postage" ... we donīt use this description in Germany ... i asked the seller what kind of shipping that is and searched trough Google but couldnīt find something really helpful .... what iīve found is sobering.

The answer from the seller ... well i donīt repeat it here ....
    At last .... itīs a book .... thereīs no reason in this world to ship a book for 89 AU$ per Standard shipping ... heck ! Even Motuc per UPS is much cheaper and faster ... i mean, come on ... there are special prices for book shipping in most of the countries, this isnīt real !

Now ... Australians please help me .... what means Standard International Flat Rate Postage in your country ? Do you can please tell me what is the price for book shipping to Germany ? The book format is 16,5 x 12 inches, 192 pages. Weight maybe 4,2 pounds. If some of you are disposed to give me informations, i canīt tell how thankfully i am ...

Ok .... call me stupid, because we all know Ebay and i should asked first, but i dig this book like nothing ... maybe itīs my Holy Grail ...
    I was stupid and my greed for it fogged my mind.

Thanks for any kind of help

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Now ... Australians please help me .... what means Standard International Flat Rate Postage in your country ? Do you can please tell me what is the price for book shipping to Germany ? The book format is 16,5 x 12 inches, 192 pages. Weight maybe 4,2 pounds. If some of you are disposed to give me informations, i canīt tell how thankfully i am ...

Ok .... call me stupid, because we all know Ebay and i should asked first, but i dig this book like nothing ... maybe itīs my Holy Grail ...
    I was stupid and my greed for it fogged my mind.

Thanks for any kind of help
    Hi Colton,

I'm from Australia , Standard international shipping would be Airmail.
    To ship the book with that weight & size from Australia to Germany, it would be sent via Airmail as a parcel & a parcel with the weight of 4.2 pound(1.9 kilograms) would cost excactly $64.90AUD.Here is the graph for such delivery from www.auspost.com -

Destination Country: GERMANY
    Parcel Weight: 1.75kg to 2kg
    ECI Parcel Weight: between 1kg and 2kg
    Details on size restrictions on parcels
    Select Service Price Maximum Weight Notes
    ECI Merchandise $79.00 20kg 1
    ECI Documents $71.00 20kg 1
    Express Post International $70.10 20kg 1
    Registered International $70.10 2kg
    Air mail $64.90 20kg
    Sea mail $34.80 20kg

I had the same problem today, i sent a beastman figure & charged $11.00AUD, when i shipped today at the post office the actual shipping was $27.00AUD, i ripped myself off $16.00AUD but that was my fault.

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers

EDIT- sorry i thought it was $69.00, $89.00 is a little to much unless it is sent via Courier, READ Lorde Trooper Below
    Last edited by skelehorde; March 8, 2010 at 04:29am.
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Hi Colton, im actually sending a couple of things to a friend in the states after he hooked me up with the motu art book, i got a international post charges/chart from my local post office today.

You could also try the Australia Post website as they are Australias biggest shipping network. Im guessing thats who he is using.

I checked with the Express Courier International service and for an item up to 3kg its $89.70, rememebring when sending over seas from here they go by weight and not size of the item. Up to 2kg it is $71.00, hopefully if its around 4.2 pounds it may just get under the 2kg mark.

For normal airmail its $64.90 for an item between 1,750-2,000grams. For every extra 500g its $9.65, the same weights with sea mail is $34.80, add $4.00 for every 500g.

Hope this helps.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Thank you guys .... thank you a lot !

Looks like, with all the package, itīs gonna be more than 2kg. Oohhh ... that s***s.
    Isnīt that cheap ordering from downunder, is it ?

Now i have to be careful this month. More rice and pasta this month ... no more fish, steaks and "Bavarian Roast Pork"

I drink my closing time beer in your names

Again ... thank you

Make sure no photos of woman with below average chests, that is no longer allowed in Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post
    Weight maybe 4,2 pounds.
    Sounds like some heavy reading

It must be a thick book to be that heavy!
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by madara View Post
    Make sure no photos of woman with below average chests, that is no longer allowed in Australia!
    There you said it !

The book is from Bill Henson "Lux et Nox" and also has some ... how can i say ... for a group of people, marginal pictures.
    There was ( still is ) a public dispute about some of his works. I canīt believe .... his work is quit bit old, but now, people start this issue
    ... maybe the wind has changed in the last time.

In my eyes ( and some others ) heīs a respectful artist