Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 614

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread

  1. #251
    Evil Lord of Dorkdom skeletom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan
    Posts
    1,160
    I'm really thankful for all of the 200x nods that we've gotten. I worry that if we continue to push issues like the Whiplash head and weapon VS Keldor's swords, Toyguru will get fed up with us and cut communications to a minimum.

    I'm not saying that constructive critisizm is bad. What I am saying is that this seems to be a stance that Mattel will not budge on, and I don't see the point of bombarding Toyguru with requests that he cannot or will not make happen.

    Mossman's ears were in his power to change. The amount of 200x influence on ths line (no matter how contradictory it may seem at times) appears not to be.

    If I had my way,the 200x line would still be going. It's my personal fav. I'm just really glad that we are getting 200x heads, Webstor's spider legs, the 200x powersword and characters like King Greyskull, Zodak, Marzo, Keldor and The Faceless One! That is way cool to me!

    I guess I choose to be an optimist on this issue. I'll live much longer that way!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

    "I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

  2. #252
    Potato Head Master baronindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    348
    I always thought that the classic had longer hair that the 200x fig did. If its such a big deal to the people that want it. Why not just customize the original he-man from Motuc with longer hair and when they re-release King Greyskull just add his armor to the fig and use super sculpty or something to make your own freakin pouch. Its really not that hard.
    JD

  3. #253
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    why has the He-Ro Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Series Bible been published for all online to see?

    What is the difference?
    Two different companies. He-Ro's bible was created by Lou Scheimer with DiC in the hopes of getting a new cartoon started. Mattel, for whatever reason, didn't pick it up, but the rights to He-Ro, being non-canon, stayed with Lou who could do whatever he wanted with the bible.

    Somehow, it got on the .org. Whether he presented it himself, or someone else got their hands on it, I don't know. But Mattel never released it.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

    My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

  4. #254
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. View Post

    You had a much better reply a while back when you stated that 200X He-Man isn't a "variant," but rather an alternate take on "standard" He-Man, and therefore won't be produced because there will only be one "standard" He-Man. THAT makes more sense, and is consistent with what we've seen thus far in the line. Just a friendly FYI.

    That reply doesn't work either considering the fact that it has been mentioned that a 200x Evil Lyn and Randor has a great chance of being made into a MOTUC figure. Those are still alternate takes on a "standard" character.

    We would just like to know why some things are allowed for some characters, but sacrilege to other characters?
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  5. #255
    Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    731
    One of the mandates from the top brass when we pitched MOTUC was that it could not be in the style of the 2002 line. That is why He-Man can't have long hair. Long hair is too "2002" style and the deal to do MOTUC was that all 2002 style influences had to be retired in favor of a new collector style. What we came up with was the "Classics" style.

    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.

    We can still do objects from the 2002 series like Doomseekers or the Electronic Sword, the just need to be in Classic colors or style. Keldor's swords in 2002 ARE the vintage power swords with 2002 style elements (look at the shape of the hilt and ability to split in two). So to bring Keldor's duel swords to the "Classics" style, we did them in "Classic style" which is essentially both halves of the vintage sword.

    TG
    Last edited by Toyguru; April 11, 2010 at 12:59pm.

  6. #256
    Evil Warrior Invicta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    732
    I know this is a bit specific question, but second version of Evil-Lyn is still in the cards I hope? She can be made non-yellow without crossing the retired style too much, as Filmation can't be the reference either?

    I am not sure who and how it is decided what is suiting for Classics and what not, so I wanted to check as I looking forward for pale version.

  7. #257
    Classic & 200X fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    One of the mandates from the top brass when we pitched MOTUC was that it could not be in the style of the 2002 line. That is why He-Man can't have long hair. Long hair is too "2002" style and the deal to do MOTUC was that all 2002 style influences had to be retired in favor of a new collector style. What we came up with was the "Classics" style.

    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.

    We can still do objects from the 2002 series like Doomseekers or the Electronic Sword, the just need to be in Classic colors or style. Keldor's swords in 2002 ARE the vintage power swords with 2002 style elements (look at the shape of the hilt and ability to split in two). So to bring Keldor's duel swords to the "Classics" style, we did them in "Classic style" which is essentially both halves of the vintage sword.

    TG

    Do you think they will allow you to do a 200X Randor and Lynn like you wanted Scott?
    big geek

  8. #258
    ORGER of the North Tuukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,530
    Thank you for those details ToyGuru about "2002 style". You should have been post that message a long while ago. This kind of information/ answers we need from Mattel, thanks!
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

    WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

  9. #259
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.
    Well there's some of the answer to my current WTFWTK question. Thanks Toyguru! Any more info you can share about Marzo's place in the MOTUC line? His figure brings a lot of firsts and rather early in the line. Anything you can say about Marzo will be greatly appreciated!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  10. #260
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,374
    Interesting answer...thanks again for the info, 'Guru.

    So what about the alternate 200X heads or even characters like 200X Randor, Evil-Lyn or Adam? Those things are straight 200X (albeit in Classic style). Wouldn't they go against the corporate mandate?

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

  11. #261
    Heroic Warrior Robogeek1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.

    TG
    Hmmm, now that is interesting.

    Anyway, I'm glad that they were willing to let him slide so he would come out on time, he's a fantastic looking fig!

  12. #262
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    I have to hand it to ToyGuru. Not only is he working over the weekend(this is fun & games for us, but technically it's work for him), he's answering a lot of questions here even though Mattel, who he works for, has their own forum for answering questions.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  13. #263
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,827
    With regard to windblown hair, the vintage MOTU figures did not have hair that went below the head-torso join. Thus we got hair-tied up Teela and a Sorceress with no neck movement. The POP ladies beat this problem and retained moving heads by having rooted hair.

    I hope a reversion to a classicized/vintage style of hair for future female figures doesn't result on a total loss of head/neck articulation, as per the King Grayskull figure.

    I know some people don't like windblown hair but I have always found an immovable head a much more annoying problem. Surely there can be some compromise to retain neck movement and not have outdoor standing on cliff-face windblown look.
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; April 11, 2010 at 01:19pm.

  14. #264
    Heroic Warrior Kevin L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Edge of Reason
    Posts
    138
    I'm thinking that publicly Toyguru needs to state that MOTUC is all "Classic" save for a few accessories but under the table he and the Horsemen might be "sneaking in" extra little 200Xisms that upper management probably wouldn't be too thrilled with.

    In other words, 200X fans should probably shut up about Whiplash's head or Mattel management might take too close of a notice as to what they're doing.

  15. #265
    Evil Lord of Dorkdom skeletom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I have to hand it to ToyGuru. Not only is he working over the weekend(this is fun & games for us, but technically it's work for him), he's answering a lot of questions here even though Mattel, who he works for, has their own forum for answering questions.
    I agree with you completely.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

    "I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

  16. #266
    Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    731
    We can still do characters in 2002 colors (like Evil Lyn with pale skin and a cape or Randor in a green armor) we just need to shy away from any excess pouches and spikes and long hair details on the armor/scupts that are part of the "2002 anime hyper detail style".

    Does that help?

  17. #267
    Ray of Sunshine Lookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    2,096
    I wonder if the frown on the 2002 style is due to the management thinking the style is why the 2002 line failed and not the glut of SB He-Man and SB Skeletors they threw at us.

    Come on, 5 SB He-Mans and 1 Orko in a box is ignorant. It wasn't the style or the variants, it was the ratios that killed it.

    Make a wave of 6 figures and put one of each in a box... Not too hard to figure out. , I see it is being done this way with DCUC, which I do commend you on. Hopefully, Wal-Mart asked for the tons of DCUC Power Girl figures filling the shelves and it wasn't a Mattel idea.

    If there is a "no excess spikes" policy, what will be done with Spikor? Will he now be Lumpor?
    Last edited by Lookie; April 11, 2010 at 01:38pm.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

  18. #268
    Heroic Illustrator Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cape Town South Africa
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I have to hand it to ToyGuru. Not only is he working over the weekend(this is fun & games for us, but technically it's work for him), he's answering a lot of questions here even though Mattel, who he works for, has their own forum for answering questions.
    Too right Mr Shokoti, thanks Toyguru.
    Always looking for new clients!


    My eBay feedback

    My Org Feedback

  19. #269
    HeroicUniter PrinceAdam101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    One of the mandates from the top brass when we pitched MOTUC was that it could not be in the style of the 2002 line. That is why He-Man can't have long hair. Long hair is too "2002" style and the deal to do MOTUC was that all 2002 style influences had to be retired in favor of a new collector style. What we came up with was the "Classics" style.

    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.

    We can still do objects from the 2002 series like Doomseekers or the Electronic Sword, the just need to be in Classic colors or style. Keldor's swords in 2002 ARE the vintage power swords with 2002 style elements (look at the shape of the hilt and ability to split in two). So to bring Keldor's duel swords to the "Classics" style, we did them in "Classic style" which is essentially both halves of the vintage sword.

    TG
    Thanks, TG!

    I'm only sort-of-a-fan of 200X, and I'm glad for the most part that the classics elements are in place. I'm also very thankful that, since the 200X anime styling is considered "retired" for strict intentions, that TG and the 4H have made some really terrific figures and honestly tried to please us fans who love the millenium genre. Marzo is an awesome looking figure, but I didn't personally need his hair to be windblown. Examining the 200X toys, it really bothered me that their hairstyles were frozen in place, and don't get me started on Teela's ridiculous permanent stance, heavy boot, and mismatching length legs.

    Anyway, I love the even blend! And, I'm seriously looking forward to 200X Randor, Evil Lyn, Sorceress, Adam, Evil Seed, Odiphus, and others to come along during this journey!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

  20. #270
    Heroic Warrior evenflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Jersey Represent
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We can still do characters in 2002 colors (like Evil Lyn with pale skin and a cape or Randor in a green armor) we just need to shy away from any excess pouches and spikes and long hair details on the armor/scupts that are part of the "2002 anime hyper detail style".

    Does that help?
    That actually helps a lot. Although i wish it were not this way, understanding what is possible and not possible helps ease some confusion. Thank you Scott, truthfully, you get the brunt of the attacks and I feel pretty bad for you. Although i disagree with what the upper bosses have decided (and I really want Illumina) knowing very much helps.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

  21. #271
    Heroic Warrior Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.
    I am glad he turned out the way he did.. Too bad that's the feeling towards the 200x style though. I guess statues and stactions in that style are off the table forgood then.

    I hope the quick sellout of Marzo, which will happen, change their minds a bit though.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

  22. #272
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We can still do characters in 2002 colors (like Evil Lyn with pale skin and a cape or Randor in a green armor) we just need to shy away from any excess pouches and spikes and long hair details on the armor/scupts that are part of the "2002 anime hyper detail style".

    Does that help?

    Thanks Toyguru for the answers.....especially the one about Marzo. Also the above answer makes more sense, as well. It is definately appreciated.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  23. #273
    Heroic Warrior Robogeek1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I am glad he turned out the way he did.. Too bad that's the feeling towards the 200x style though. I guess statues and stactions in that style are off the table forgood then.

    I hope the quick sellout of Marzo, which will happen, change their minds a bit though.
    The only problem though is that quick sellouts are pretty much becoming the norm for this line so it may make no difference in the eyes of the upper management. It's all gonna depend on how Optikk sells I guess. If he, a lesser known character sells out in minutes, then pretty much anyone will.

  24. #274
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We can still do characters in 2002 colors (like Evil Lyn with pale skin and a cape or Randor in a green armor) we just need to shy away from any excess pouches and spikes and long hair details on the armor/scupts that are part of the "2002 anime hyper detail style".

    Does that help?
    About Evil-Lyn...would she have to be a 100% repaint, or would she be able to get her long skirt too?

    Also, could you please send the .org the large images maybe a week after they're posted on Matty (like the She-Ra and Tytus pictures I posted)?

    Thanks for all your answers TG!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  25. #275
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We can still do characters in 2002 colors (like Evil Lyn with pale skin and a cape or Randor in a green armor) we just need to shy away from any excess pouches and spikes and long hair details on the armor/scupts that are part of the "2002 anime hyper detail style".

    Does that help?
    Thanks for these explanations! On your day off no less.
    I have to say that I love what is being done so far--classic style mixed with some 200x/MYP elements, such as extra heads/weapons. Moss Man and Whiplash are great examples of this, both their heads are great, and the figures really do have something for everyone. Kudos to all involved in making them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Marzo crossed the line a bit too much, but because we didn't have time to resculpt his hair less "wind blown" it went to production with the caveat from management that going forward all characters would really need to be in a more "Classic" style, especially those pulled from the 2002 animated series like Marzo. Marzo kinda snuck in. If we resculpted him we would not have made the deadline for a July figure. So management agreed to pardon him to maintain schedule as long as we made more of an effort going forward to reduce the number of 2002 style influences because this style is officially retired.
    Let's hear it for Marzo! He got all rebellious, snuck through with hyper anime detail, beat the system, stuck it to the man, and was granted a 'pardon'!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •