Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Toyguru-Are the Toys R US Exclusive; DCUC VS MOTUC Two Packs coming to Australia Thread

Toyguru
    Collector Supreme
    Posted March 13, 2010 03:19 PM

That is still unknown at this point. We have offered them to Australia retail buyers but so far their has been little interest.
    Damn, i want a case of each 2-pack
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

I imagine that the reason they don't want to do a true 200x He-Man is because of branding. They want one true He-Man to be the face of the line. Sure, THAT He-Man may put on some other armors but he is going to remain THAT He-Man (head, hair and loin cloth). They are afraid that if they release a true 2002 He-Man, that a lot of people will latch on to that as their one true He-Man and dilute the branding. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I imagine that the reason they don't want to do a true 200x He-Man is because of branding. They want one true He-Man to be the face of the line. Sure, THAT He-Man may put on some other armors but he is going to remain THAT He-Man (head, hair and loin cloth). They are afraid that if they release a true 2002 He-Man, that a lot of people will latch on to that as their one true He-Man and dilute the branding. Just my 2 cents.
    That's probably true. When I first heard about the MOTUC line, I thought it was going to be like the DCU Classics line; a bunch different characters & designs pulled from multiple canons. Now that we know Mattel is striving to pull all of the different MOTU eras into one canon(similar to what DC did with Crisis On Infinite Earths), Mattel probably doesn't want to confuse potential new customers with multiple looks of every character(especially their main hero). That's something Hasbro does, along with rebranding their toylines, every few months, and it confuses the hell out of me even though I'm familiar with all of their franchises.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I would totally buy another He-Man in 200X garb. And I think most other fans would as well.

I don't see the problem for Mattel, I mean it requires very little re-tooling and they would have another He-Man variant that can potentially sell out in a matter of minutes.

A new sculpt for the wrist-bands and loin-cloth pouches would be nice, but if Mattel decides not to do them and hide behind their "anime" excuse, it really doesn't bug me all that much. (Even though both the bands and pouches could be used for many other characters down the line.........)

Heck, they should do this with the eventual re-issue of He-Man & Skeletor....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Honestly it seams less like a business decision and more along the lines of personal taste in regard to how they approach the characters. Considering the fan base is split and certain people only want 200x "this" or "that", it would seam like the smart thing to do would be to make 200x He-Man (pouch on shorts, harness, belt and bracers) on the "classics" body. It's not as if they have been shy about doing variants this year, so I doubt they are afraid of diluting anything. How many Luke Skywalkers, or Snake Eyes has Hasbro put out? It seams smart to always have He-man available. The only thing I can think of is they are trying to force the fans to buy the one that is currently out. In that regard, yes they are trying not to saturate the market with a bunch of He-variants (we all remember spin blade...) In Jan Battle Armor He-man was out, right now its the Toys R Us one. That's a strategy I can understand at least! That business practice becomes obviously apparent when you consider the fact that BA & TRU He-men don't even come with the Power Sword! That forces anyone who wants a Power Sword for He-Man to have to wait for an eventual third release of "the Original". If that is the business plan, then the decision not to make a 200x design He-man (pouch on shorts, harness, belt and bracers) can only be a decision based on personal preference...
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Mattel !! we want a 200X HEMAN !!!

WE HAVE THE POWER !!!

and we want 200X style !!

200X RULES !!

200X BETTER THAN CLASSIC !!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That's probably true. When I first heard about the MOTUC line, I thought it was going to be like the DCU Classics line; a bunch different characters & designs pulled from multiple canons. Now that we know Mattel is striving to pull all of the different MOTU eras into one canon(similar to what DC did with Crisis On Infinite Earths), Mattel probably doesn't want to confuse potential new customers with multiple looks of every character(especially their main hero). That's something Hasbro does, along with rebranding their toylines, every few months, and it confuses the hell out of me even though I'm familiar with all of their franchises.
    So what will happen when NA He-Man comes along? Would he lose his ponytail?

If anything, just release NA He-Man and 200X He-Man with their standard heads, but have their alternate He-Man heads with their rightful hairstyles hidden in the package.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No offense to anyone that might have one, but I hope so.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!

If anything, just release NA He-Man and 200X He-Man with their standard heads, but have their alternate He-Man heads with their rightful hairstyles hidden in the package.
    This would make the most sense. The facial features wouldn't even need to be changed, just the hair really. (Just make sure it fits on the head correctly this time....)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    You don't get any more classic than Earl Norem:
    This is very true.
    Thanks for posting that pic.

Does anybody have an answer to my questions from post #39 of this thread? Thanks.
    I want my other half.

The first page is updated with new Questions and Answers.

NA Prince Adam is POSSIBLE???
    How come?

And the SDCC exclusive will be revealed in late April instead of the first.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 22, 2010 at 10:19am.

How come?

It says "later in April". Since it's March, couldn't that still mean the 1st of April?

And wasn't there a NA Prince Adam Prototype at some point?
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

NA prince adam for me its probably better than filmation adam.........anyway good news!!
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

I still hate the idea of a purple axe for Skeletor. Would be the same to me like repainting He-Ro's staff and pretend that it's Stratos' Emerald Staff of Avion.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Does anyone have a pic of a New Adventures Adam they can post? I've been confused about that variant. I thought I saw one once, but in that mini-comic that started NA, it was regular Adam and the Sorceress says that "Adam is no more" after he turns into He-Man. I'm not familiar with the NA cartoon, but they have said they can't do cartoon only characters.

Pics, anyone?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Does anyone have a pic of a New Adventures Adam they can post? I've been confused about that variant. I thought I saw one once, but in that mini-comic that started NA, it was regular Adam and the Sorceress says that "Adam is no more" after he turns into He-Man. I'm not familiar with the NA cartoon, but they have said they can't do cartoon only characters.

Pics, anyone?

Also first post update with more info.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind an NA Adam at all. I think it would be cool. Hell, a lot of other lines has had original characters never released as figures, why not NA??

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post
    I wouldn't mind an NA Adam at all. I think it would be cool. Hell, a lot of other lines has had original characters never released as figures, why not NA??
    Because, as was said, they've always maintained that NA cartoon-only designs are just as offlimits as Filmation-only designs (indeed, aren't the cartoons now owned by the same company?), and NA-Adam is toon-only. Ergo, something's up with TG's answer - the question is whether TG got mixed up and didn't realise he was toon-only, or whether TG slipped up and hinted at something he shouldn't.

I suspect the former (he got confused and nothing's changed) but you never know....

NA Adam would be interesting and I would love to see him. I hope TG wasn't misunderstanding. Heck, I'd love Drissi, Caz, and Sebrian, as well! (Would that it were true.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Still no info. on the stands? Are they coming back? I thought Matty said there would be more ...

How come?

DING!!! DING!!!

Well, that clinches it for me. I've suspected that since Toyguru wouldn't comment on Filmation rights at NY Toy Fair, when in the past he's always said that they don't have them, that Mattel had purchased them.

This convinces me. Mattel wants a movie made, and they want total control over all the properties. Thus, they've purchased the Filmation rights and the rights to the NA cartoon series.

Therefore, NA Adam is possible along with Strong-Arm, Master Sebrian, Shadow Weaver, Lizard Man, Drizzi, etc.

All Filmation and NA characters that were not available before are probably available now.

I hope that is one of their major announcements at Toy Fair... It would raise the roof of the convention center!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Because, as was said, they've always maintained that NA cartoon-only designs are just as offlimits as Filmation-only designs (indeed, aren't the cartoons now owned by the same company?), and NA-Adam is toon-only. Ergo, something's up with TG's answer - the question is whether TG got mixed up and didn't realise he was toon-only, or whether TG slipped up and hinted at something he shouldn't.

I suspect the former (he got confused and nothing's changed) but you never know....
    I don't think he slipped up. I think he leaked that on purpose. It's the perfect way to stir up a frenzy of speculation.
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 22, 2010 at 11:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    DING!!! DING!!!

Well, that clinches it for me. I've suspected that since Toyguru wouldn't comment on Filmation rights at NY Toy Fair, when in the past he's always said that they don't have them, that Mattel had purchased them.

This convinces me. Mattel wants a movie made, and they want total control over all the properties. Thus, they've purchased the Filmation rights and the rights to the NA cartoon series.

Therefore, NA Adam is possible along with Strong-Arm, Master Sebrian, Shadow Weaver, Lizard Man, Drizzi, etc.

All Filmation and NA characters that were not available before are probably available now.

I hope that is one of their major announcements at Toy Fair... It would raise the roof of the convention center!!
    OMG! So hope you are correct BCRDuke!

BCRDuke, I'm hoping that this is another instance of you having a keen foresight on Mattel's moves. Checkmate, old chap!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

well, it would not be insight granted by anyone else

it would truly be just insight, and deductive reasoning

Mattel probably had its sights set on acquiring the rights to ALL MOTU characters from the get-go (or at least since it was obvious the line was a huge hit).

three things make me think they have acquired the rights:

1) Mattel contacts Pixel-Dan and tells him to remove all Filmation iconography and music from his reviews. This is a typical Mattel move... yet, they'd have to own the property to be able to dictate what an independent entity decides to do with that material. It's not like Boomerang Entertainment (or whatever the company is called) were the ones asking Dan to remove that stuff.

2) at Toy Fair in NYC, someone asked Toyguru if he had anythink to say about the acquisition of the Filmation rights so that characters like Shadow Weaver and Scorpia could be made. He replied that they had "no comment at this time." No comment means anything but what he had been saying all along: that Mattel did not have the rights to do Filmation or NA cartoon characters... So why the change of tune?

3) Toyguru letsus know that NA Prince Adam was a possibility. Now unless there WAS a prototype of this figure, which contradicted the mini-comics for the toys to begin with, there is no way this NA Adam could be done as a MOTUC character. So until I see the vintage NA Adam prototype, I am guessing that Mattel has, at the very least, purchased the rights to the NA Cartoon characters... and maybe the cartoons themselves.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

How come?
    WHAT is going on? Everyone would go nuts if they announced a Filmation/Jetlag rights purchase at SDCC. I don't want to get too excited...
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."