Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldor Prototype Found. PROOF CARD

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Hey Jordan, I don't suppose you found any figures to go along with this did you? Thank you so much for sharing these images with us. You have no idea how happy a find like this makes me. Thanks for Transcribing that info Sallah & Darkspecter. I tried doing it my self and came up with just about what you guys did.

Upon first impression I have to admit I'm underwhelmed by the design of the card. The three toned background is hardly as eye catching and enchanting as the exploding red rocks...I can understand the importance of wanting the skull to be the predominant image, but I can't help but wonder how effective the packaging would be if the Skull was projecting from a recolored green rock background? I love the skull on the packaging front. I can't help but wonder if they ever considered using the Spirit of Grayskull image from the original minis and Warrior Ring? As others have pointed out, we have seen portions of this skull on the Cosmic Key mini comic. It's great to see (most of) the skull and now knowing the reason it was on the back of some of those mini comics! Nice to know that at least one aspect of PoG carried on past the life of MOTU and into NA. Who'd have thought that this would be one of the links between the two different lines? I can't help but wonder if it is meant to represent Skeletor's origin rather then Castle Grayskull's since it doesn't look very much like the Castle's skull...We often forget that Keldor was going to be a primary villain in the PoG sub line. It would be interesting if Keldor's origin and the creation of Castle Grayskull had a relation to each other and this packaging was meant to hint at the revelation of why Skeletor do desperately want's the Power of Grayskull...After all if He-Ro is He-Man & She-Ra's ancestor that makes him Keldor's as well!

I find it odd that the front of the packaging doesn't have a figure drawing of Elder as all the 1987 characters had them. I also find it odd that the cross sell on the bottom of the back doesn't have a painted illustration of Eldor (or the giants) to go along with the other PoG related cast. Makes me wonder how final this design was? The art we do get it defiantly nothing to over look though. I honestly can't stop looking at it. How awesome is it that we FINALLY get to see what a (non king/non he-ro) Gray(skull) looks like?!?!?! I dare anybody not to buy a figure of GRAY(skull)! The best part (for me at least) is that the scene depicted seams to be the day Gray was drawn to the cave (of Power) and his destiny/past became known to him as he was transformed into He-Ro for the first time! I've pictured it in my head so often, but actually seeing that event depicted in a canonical way is just truly awesome!

The info on the Book of Living Spells (AKA Book of Transformation in He-Ro's bio) is great. Now I don't have to stay awake at night wondering what the Holograms in the book are anymore! That He-Ro/Gray draws his power from this tome was an already known fact. I know some of you guys are assuming that the book can alter history and change time, but that's not what I got from the way the sentence was written. The spell book changes people & things. So many things transform during this time period of Eternia (Elders into the Orb, Hall of Wisdom into Castle Grayskull, King Hiss from human to snake, Hordak's mechanical body parts and Gray into He-Ro) Heck even the Dinosaurs where transformers. The Book being the reason for all this makes more sense to me then it having the ability to alter history and change the continuity of things...As awesome as all that sounds, I don't think Mattel at the time was overly concerned with continuity as much as we are today.

I'll admit I am a little sad by the lack of new info on the bio...We didn't find out more about Elder or Sharella...I wonder how much of his back story was really figured out? It's not like I don't have my own ideas...But I'd still love to know more of what was actually planned. If We do get to see He-Ro's card, I expect i'll see a great peace of new art, a better expatiation of his action feature, but in regard to actual story, plot or back story...I guess all we have is the original 1987 bio...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I have old mattel promo artwork from the POG line and looks good as new.
    Was I sick that day? Share with the class man!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Since the carbacks of He-Ro and Eldor were finished...I wonder if they finished the mini-comics?!
    We know they did not. The info can be found on He-Man.org in the Opening the Vault interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Here is back of The Cosmic Key -minicomic. There's also another version just showing movie figs, but this version has always been quite weird.

http://www.motu.arkku.net/images/CosmicKey.jpg
    Do we know which one is more rare? I've never been an expert on variants of the toys or minis. Knowing that might help us figure out just how far along the packaging design was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Which also means that the Cosmic Key comic was probably slated to be packed into the line... or even that the movie guys would have been rereleased on POG cardbacks with the comic...

Gwildor on that cardback would ROCK.

Sallah
    Great point. If I was Mattel back then I would have made Gwildor an Ancient and/or member of the Council of Elders. His role in modern Eternia would be helping Man-At-Arms unlock the secrets of the Ancient's technology inside Central Tower.

*** Please be sure to remove images from quotes, thanks!***
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Do we know which one is more rare? I've never been an expert on variants of the toys or minis. Knowing that might help us figure out just how far along the packaging design was.
    I think there isn't that much difference in quantity between those to versions. Example I have total of 5 (two skull versions) of them.

All of them are printed in USA, but there's a one cool detail:
    Normal cover: 0007-9180 G1
    Skull cover: 0007-9180
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Welcome on the board Hollywood Heroes!

Thank you so much for this incredible find and sharing it with us!

Like all the others I'm waiting for He-Ro's proof card!

Did you manage to get any other great stuff? I saw you posted the Tyrantisaurus rex proof card and the slime pit art (those 2 are absolutly awesome!), and I would like to know if you found some papers or official and internal infos about the Power Of Grayskull toy line.

Any way, you made my day! I'm always happy when I see all the great arts you can find about MOTU!

Thank you so much

very best regards from France!
    Last edited by musclor.fr.st; March 10, 2010 at 01:18pm.
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I want Gray made!
    I'd buy a Gray figure for sure!
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post

Was I sick that day? Share with the class man!
    its the same as this below from grayskull museum, but no eldor, gray sketches in the book or listed at all. Gygantisaur is listed in the table of contents, but no sketch of it came in it.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...ggrayskull.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodheroes View Post

He also told me that Eldor, did in fact, go to mold and EP samples were run off. He thinks he has some. Fingers crossed.

Best-
    Jordan

WHOA!!! i hope thats true so we can see..
    Last edited by carlo; March 10, 2010 at 03:38pm.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    its the same as this below from grayskull museum, but no eldor, gray sketches in the book or listed at all. Gygantisaur is listed in the table of contents, but no sketch of it came in it.

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...ggrayskull.htm
    Well, we've been looking for better, bigger and non-gif scans of that style guide for a loooong time.
    Would you finally hook the .org up with some of those? Pretty please Mr.Carlo?

This must be the find of the decade! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Awesome sticker included!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    THat is a wonderous find. I love the art on the cardfront. This would have been such a great line, dang it, but I hope this does prod Mattel into making Eldor for MOTUC.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

That proof card is awesome!!! I love seeing things like this. What could have been? I hope Eldor is the SDCC exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Since the carbacks of He-Ro and Eldor were finished...I wonder if they finished the mini-comics?!
    Assuming He-Ro and/or Eldor would have come with mini-comics about "Powers of Grayskull"-story, than I don't think so.

The writer for the first "Powers of Grayskull - Legend Begins!" has told (according to Val), that he never finished stories for second and third comic, so unless they got someone else to tell those stories, that trail leads nowhere.

Widget
    And this is how we do it... Hollywood Heroes style! Proof card matted in an acid free backer, with corner holders to protect the piece. The card slides in and out of the corner tabs.. nothing is glued.

Our motto: Preserve, Protect, Educate...

Enjoy:

Best-
    Jordan
    Jordan@Hollywoodheroes.com

*Wipes drool off chin*

Looks AMAZING Jordan!

Sallah

Nicely done!

I would do two corrections. Vintage logo for the certification and a little smaller windows for prototype sheets, so you can't see any white around them.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Nicely done!

I would do two corrections. Vintage logo for the certification and a little smaller windows for prototype sheets, so you can't see any white around them.
    What you are seeing is the matte beveled. It's actually cut on an angle for a better overall "depth".

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodheroes View Post
    What you are seeing is the matte beveled. It's actually cut on an angle for a better overall "depth".
    Oh.. I see it now.

Heroic Warrior
    Man, I really love that package design. Makes me feel like I'm 6 years old all over again! How fantastic would that line have been? Really awesome Jordan, thanks for posting this.

dude, card is sooo awesome, it looks really great on that backer. wish it was hanging on my wall.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Jordan you really need to start taking organs and blood, I could buy so much more stuff then

Sign me up for updates to this thread!!

That's amazing something like this still exists, a true piece of 80s pop culture history! It's a shame that you couldn't get Matty to use that front card design for the SDCC exclusive version of the He-Ro figure, that would have made it even more a collectable then the general release.
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Nice update, Jordan.

Any word on whether your contact has Eldor figures?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i really really wish they make an Eldor figure for classics.

Amazing, looks soooo good.
    My collection: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/

EL HEAVY NO ES VIOLENCIA

Insanely cool!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Nice pics, but I'd like to see all the writing on the cardback clearly.