Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: She-Ra in package is up on Matty's facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Or that a droid stated that she died from a broken heart. I don't know what's worse, a character died from a broken heart or it took a droid to state that.
    LMAO!!
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Or that a droid stated that she died from a broken heart. I don't know what's worse, a character died from a broken heart or it took a droid to state that.
    Argh! Padme could have lived for her new kids, instead of wanting to die because Anakin is lost. I really hated that plot point.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Well...I guess they're not illegal in ALL countries. They certainly are in Canada!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna make it seem like I'm a card-carrying member of the NRA (goodness gracious, those are a bunch of yahoos!! ).... I'd prefer not to ever have to use a gun, but that doesn't mean that they would never have to get used.

And that's my overall point here; It's unrealistic to think/wish for He-Man or She-Ra to never have to use their swords in a fatal way.

Meh. Hordak had a snort/breathing problem. Darth Vader gasps for air. Potato/poetotoe.
    LOL. The snorting from Filmation was waaay over the top. I loved the way they did it in MYP though. Hordak of 200X didn't talk alot, but when he did, watch out kids!! He was a man of action, and I appreciated that about him.... It make him a much more competent and fearsome villain.

I'll just give the sites as some examples are too horrifying to give:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/06/...f_v.php?page=2

http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/
    No, I know about the Fridge incident. You said there were numerous other examples of senseless violence in the DCU, and I was asking for some of those other examples.

But in terms of the fridge scenario, It was graphic, even gratuitous.... But it served the purpose for the story. These aren't Golden Age comics anymore, but then, we don't live in Golden Age Times.

As stated before, there are plenty of Archie & JugHead comics in the kiddie racks, if that sort of stuff suits your fancy.

I gave the examples. All of this came directly from the script included with the DVD. I popped it in and read it.

(paraphrasing the script) Callix says to Hordak they shouldn't go into another fight so soon because there numbers have greatly depleted and everyone's hurting. Hordak looks over at his now small number of Troopers. He says Callix is right. Callix is releaved. Hordak raises his staff and blows Callix apart.

Then they have the "at least 1000" Horde Troopers.
    Oh, okay.... I don't have the official DVD as of yet. Still trying to find it.

Yes it is! Only certain animals are magical. Like the type of owl Kowl is (Kowla and his evil cousin...his name escapes me), the green tigers on Eternia can talk (I think...I'm not sure if they meant the power of Grayskull to enable him to talk. It gets convoluted). Nobody but She-Ra can talk to all animals (minus Teela with her staff and probably the Sorceress). I think He-Man KIND of can. He's understood when other animals want to help him. I really think he might have some of the same powers She-Ra has, but she has more need for them or is more in touch with herself so she can use them.
    I guess the inductive reasoning here should be: which animals COULDN'T talk. I'm not a filmation buff, but it seemed like most animals that were portrayed could talk. Do you recall which ones couldn't?

I don't know. FM Adam was lazy and all...and his voice was much more different...and he wasn't spoiled. MYP Adam came off as VERY spoiled and even was late to his birthday party making all those people wait, wanted to stop being He-Man altogether is he gets a little better fighting skills so everyone will know HE'S awesome, etc. In MYP, in my opinion only, I found him too young, arrogant and naive. It's like he never understood how important the sword, the title and protecting everyone really was. FM Adam ALWAYS got that.
    Filmation Adam looked like a 17 yo on steroids. He was over the top on how "good and wholesome" he was. It was like looking at an untanned He-Man (as He-Man was portrayed in Filmation). It was like he was He-Man all the time. There was virtually no distinction between the 2 characters.

MYP Adam was flawed to the degree of making the tranformation believable. I could split hairs on some of the qualities named here (his being late for his B-Day took place before he learned of his responsibilities), but how they portrayed him in MYP is/was much more realistic and relatable as a teenage character.

To me, he was this lazy, spoiled rich kid, but once he found this newfound responsibility that he couldn't share with anyone, he had to continue playing the spoiled, lazy role to avert attention away from him. This is an aspect that Filmation Adam didn't have, which made him wholly uninteresting to me.

Lex Luthor is "the smartest man alive." For example, in JLU he was taken to the edge of existance to see the all-spark (or something). Metron said it would make anyone except a seventh level intellect (or something like that) go insane. Well...he didn't go insane. He brought back the anti-life thing and destroyed himself and Darkseid. I apologize I forget all the proper terminology. Great episode though.

The Anti-Life Equation.

But it seems like you are equating high intelligence as a super power. So is it that anything that a "normal human" does not possess, is automatically thrown in the super hero category?

Joker is like...the living dead + insane. He has henchmen, acid, laughing gas that kills you, etc. He fits the profile of supervillain in every sense of the word. His accident caused his appearance...and possibly his insanity, but he gave himself "powers" so to speak.
    Laughing gas makes you a "super" villain? Mind you, I'm not dismissing the notion of Joker being a super villain, but I'm just trying to see how it fits with your overall point here.

Bracelets, breastplate, all the gold stuff on it could be made from corrodite. Then there's the snake headdress.
    Point. I'd forgotten about all that.

Attacked her with. His "arms" bit her.
    The point though, is that he directly attempted to murder the Sorceress.

I can't find it. I REALLY should have bought it. I believe it was called: How to Become a Superhero: Pocket Guide. It was awesome, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Here's something similar though...but not pocket sized and does not come with a mask:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ero+guide%2527
    Hmm, I'll check those out.

She calmed down, unless they told her she could get worked up. lol

Ummm...WHAT?!
    What I"m asking is, how come you can't save the planet, or several thousand people, or even a few people, and still be seen as a hero, regardless of how you had to go about doing it?

Psylocke's different though. They keep ripping her into different realities, body swapping her, mind controlling, her brother tried to ahem her and she freaked out which killed him but it wasn't her....multiple people have died while she was psychicly linked to them, Slaymaster ripped her eyes out and kills every version of her in different dimensions, etc, etc. She's pretty stable for all the stuff that's happened to her though.
    Except, she's sliced thru just as many Hand Ninjas as Wolvie has. How does that fit?

Maybe they hate gars because of her? Maybe she bore a son after all the hell they put Faceless One through?
    Possibly, but at the end of MYP, she was still on the Council when they "left". Perhaps that just speaks to the unknown nature of the council.

The outcome would have been different. About the other part, no. She-Ra and He-Man would not be enablers. They encourage through actions (in this case the actions they don't commit). You don't just go into a society and tell everyone "Stop doing this!" I mean, SOME people do...but you shouldn't.
    LOL. So you don't think there's a Masters/Rebellion team meeting of some sort, where they discuss battle plans, similar to what the Super 7 did/do in the JLA meeting room? You think He-Man and She-Ra might give a rebellion member "that look", and be done with it?

Also, here are the armies the soldiers would be killing:

- Skeleton warriors (bones, not alive)
    - Horde Troopers (robots, not alive...and I stand by that. lol)
    - Snakemen. These are the only things that are alive that they might have to kill.
    Skeletor's Evil Warriors (Trap Jaw, Beast Man, etc), the main inner Circle of the Horde (Grizzlor, Leech, etc), and the ALL of the Snake Men (generals and misc. warriors) are all alive.

When Kobra Khan escaped the Eternian prison, he nearly killed a few guards. What were they supposed to do?

Oh yes, he did. I forget...did Obi Wan SEE him slide into the lava or did he leave before this?
    Well, Anakin never actually slid into the lava, so Obi-Wan wouldn't have seen that. But he did watch him slide close enough to it, to become engulfed in flames. Obi-Wan left, but not before he watched Anakin burn, presumably to death.

*****EDIT: I'm pretty certain this is the superhero book...but it doesn't mention it comes with a mask. Maybe there's a deluxe edition?:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Superhe.../dp/0452285755
    Cool, I'll look into it.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; March 22, 2010 at 12:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    But in terms of the fridge scenario, It was graphic, even gratuitous.... But it served the purpose for the story. These aren't Golden Age comics anymore, but then, we don't live in Golden Age Times.
    Maybe the Silver Age, but the Golden Age was plenty brutal. Heroes killed villains all the time. Women were also usually just there as damsels in distress or sex objects.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    The fact that men are statistically strong then women has nothing to do with magic-based strength - which is where the super strength for BOTH characters comes from. He-Man's strength is not only from his muscles in this continuity. If we were talking about original minicomic continuity, then He-Man was an athlete-level strong man who also put on a vest that (magically) enhanced his strength.

With magically enhanced strength, big bulging muscles do not have anyhting to do with the level of strength a person has. It's how She-Ra can be super strong and not look like a body builder. It's why Wonder Woman can look like Lynda Carter and lift a tank - because it's magic.

And because magic means that the rules of correlation between physical shape and actual strength output is gone, it cetainly means that both He-Man and She-Ra can be equally strong, which is how I always saw them.
    If that's strictly the case, why then, does He-Man's size increase? If it's all about the magical Deus Ex Machina, then tiny prince Adam would lift tanks too. Why the need to change into a body-builder?

She still one-ups He-Man by having more abilities and that's a no-no considering He-Man's MOTU line is what led to She-Ra's "existence" in the first place.

While I respect each of you & your right to an opinion, I don't undertand getting so upset that a fictional character might now be the second strongest person in a fictional universe instead of being tied for first(speculation and opinions aside, was it ever explicitly said by Filmation and/or Mattel that she was just as strong as He-Man?). I love He-Man but it really doesn't bother me that She-Ra has more abilities than he does. I love her character as well.
    I agree totally.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; March 22, 2010 at 12:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm in a she-ra thread that is talking about star wars. I missed something.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    SAMURAI36 - There's a very logical reason why heroes like He-Man, She-Ra, Supes, Wonder Woman and other super beings don't and shouldn't kill: it's far too easy for them to resort to that. Aside from the philosophical reasons one could debate forever, the practical truth is that these people possess far more power than the average person. You give an example of someone holding a gun to a loved one's head, and you killing them to defend their lives. It's an understandable stance for you, as you don't have super powers, and the crook may actually have the advantage on you. But it wouldn't be the case for someone with She-Ra's powers; she could kill someone without even breaking a sweat. Power corrupts when it is not kept in strict check, and the line between good and evil is a thin one.

It does matter how someone like She-Ra saves the day. Aside from the ideal that there should actually be a difference between good and evil aside from their viewpoint; i.e., a difference in their actions, there is a big danger of going too far if the heroes allow themselves too much moral leeway.

As comics writer Tony Isabella once noted, expediency is not heroism. If there's no difference between what the heroes and villains will do, what the heck are the good guys fighting for?

My signature is the pledge the Silver Age Superman made when he became Superboy; I read it over thirty years ago in an issue of World's Finest, and I still feel they sum up the heroic ideal very nicely. And that ideal isn't just for comic book characters.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I think the comments about her She-Ras strength is magical is a maybe a bit ill conceived. I wasn't arguing that He-Man has larger muscles and therefore he must be stronger then his sister.

I was arguing that they are equals.They both have access to the Power of Greyskull, and being that they are twins, the idea that one may have access to more power than the other is completely preposterous in my mind.

Since She-Ra has access to magical abilities that He-Man does not(or at least has a more developed form of said abilities) it stands to reason to me that in order for that to be the case, the powers of greyskull is being drawn away from her not insubstantial physical strength.

It is no doubt not sufficient enough of a drain to make her obviously meeker, but when put side by side with her brother, she is just that little bit less strong in muscle.

This isn't exactly a difficult concept.Theres only so much power to go around.I really don't understand why people are adverse to the idea.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    As stated before, there are plenty of Archie & JugHead comics in the kiddie racks, if that sort of stuff suits your fancy.
    They're funny...sometimes...but I'm not into that.

I guess the inductive reasoning here should be: which animals COULDN'T talk. I'm not a filmation buff, but it seemed like most animals that were portrayed could talk. Do you recall which ones couldn't?
    It's easier to say which animals COULD talk...as most cannot. Off the top of my head, the following talk:

- 1st tree of Eternia
    - Some, maybe all, dragons
    - Kowl's race
    - Cringer/Battle Cat (the transformation MAY have made it possible for him to talk. I think Filmation screwed that up a bit).
    - Spirit/Swiftwind (the transformation allowed him to talk. Adora was startled).

Other than that, there may have been an episode or two with a random talking tree or creature. I don't believe so though. He-Man did interract with animals a bit and "understood" what their intentions were. She-Ra often telepathically talked to animals without them speaking.

Filmation Adam looked like a 17 yo on steroids. He was over the top on how "good and wholesome" he was. It was like looking at an untanned He-Man (as He-Man was portrayed in Filmation). It was like he was He-Man all the time. There was virtually no distinction between the 2 characters.

MYP Adam was flawed to the degree of making the tranformation believable. I could split hairs on some of the qualities named here (his being late for his B-Day took place before he learned of his responsibilities), but how they portrayed him in MYP is/was much more realistic and relatable as a teenage character.

To me, he was this lazy, spoiled rich kid, but once he found this newfound responsibility that he couldn't share with anyone, he had to continue playing the spoiled, lazy role to avert attention away from him. This is an aspect that Filmation Adam didn't have, which made him wholly uninteresting to me.
    I don't know. Filmation Adam was just lazy. I don't really care for MYP Adam. He was, and still is, a rich, spoiled brat. Even when he's by himself he's pretty careless and whiney. He annoyed me a bit. He did have good moments and episodes, but on a whole...I didn't enjoy him. MYP Teela isn't as good as Filmation Teela either though. 80's Teela had a grace and elegance while being a fierce warrior that MYP Teela just didn't have.

The Anti-Life Equation.

But it seems like you are equating high intelligence as a super power. So is it that anything that a "normal human" does not possess, is automatically thrown in the super hero category?
    Superhuman = ability beyond humans'

Luthor's intelligence is beyond that of humans.

Laughing gas makes you a "super" villain? Mind you, I'm not dismissing the notion of Joker being a super villain, but I'm just trying to see how it fits with your overall point here.
    The Joker has been twisted and trasformed into a non-human. For example, Harley Quinn is a villain, not a SUPER villain. She's just a crazy ex-psychologist with a mallet. I love her.

The point though, is that he directly attempted to murder the Sorceress.
    Yep. Super villains tend to do that. KH needs a time out.

What I"m asking is, how come you can't save the planet, or several thousand people, or even a few people, and still be seen as a hero, regardless of how you had to go about doing it?
    I didn't say that. People can be heroes, saviours, etc. by the "any means necessary" motto. Being a superhero is BEYOND the status of hero though. That's why there is that higher standard.

Except, she's sliced thru just as many Hand Ninjas as Wolvie has. How does that fit?
    Psylocke is extremely complex because she's been a few people rolled into one and her psyche and abilities are still somewhat combined. So, her killing ninja side is actually Revanche/Kwannon...a trained assassin.

Before that, Psylocke was a telepath, a super model and a secret agent for the British Government (think CIA).

LOL. So you don't think there's a Masters/Rebellion team meeting of some sort, where they discuss battle plans, similar to what the Super 7 did/do in the JLA meeting room? You think He-Man and She-Ra might give a rebellion member "that look", and be done with it?
    Well, sure. It would be something like: you attack left, you attack right, we'll hit them from behind (for example). Not: you slit his throat, iviscerate that guy, chop him in half...etc.

When Kobra Khan escaped the Eternian prison, he nearly killed a few guards. What were they supposed to do?
    Electro-shock him with their staffs to get him under control and re-imprison him?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    SAMURAI36 - There's a very logical reason why heroes like He-Man, She-Ra, Supes, Wonder Woman and other super beings don't and shouldn't kill: it's far too easy for them to resort to that. Aside from the philosophical reasons one could debate forever, the practical truth is that these people possess far more power than the average person. You give an example of someone holding a gun to a loved one's head, and you killing them to defend their lives. It's an understandable stance for you, as you don't have super powers, and the crook may actually have the advantage on you. But it wouldn't be the case for someone with She-Ra's powers; she could kill someone without even breaking a sweat. Power corrupts when it is not kept in strict check, and the line between good and evil is a thin one.

The flaw with this notion, is that it's not being taken into account that She-Ra, He-Man, and even SM and WW are facing foes that are most often close to, and sometimes every bit as powerful as they are. It's very possible that Hordak, Skeletor, King Hiss, and/or one of their top minions could kill She-Ra or He-Man.

It's not like Batman, who generally fights street thugs or miminally powered villains. SM and WW are fighting GODS, the likes of Darkseid, and Ares. These villains could very well slaughter whole planets (and have, in Darkseid's case). They wouldn't think twice at snapping SM's or WW's neck.

We don't know how truly powerful Hordak and King Hiss are, but they've clearly been demonstrated as extremely powerful, and very capable of murder.

It does matter how someone like She-Ra saves the day. Aside from the ideal that there should actually be a difference between good and evil aside from their viewpoint; i.e., a difference in their actions, there is a big danger of going too far if the heroes allow themselves too much moral leeway.
    What you consider "going to far" and "moral leeway", I consider to be a rigid POV. Everybody lies, but that doesn't make everybody a liar. People drink, but that doesn't make everybody who does a drunk. Just because She-Ra and He-Man might take a life in battle, doesn't imply that they are murderers, nor am I implying that they exercise killing as an immediate option each and every time.

I'm merely saying, that there are times--at least once in their careers--where killing will be the absolute necessary option. To think otherwise is a very myopic view.

As comics writer Tony Isabella once noted, expediency is not heroism. If there's no difference between what the heroes and villains will do, what the heck are the good guys fighting for?
    I agree, expediency is not heroism. But I'm not speaking about expediency here. Taking a life should never been taken lightly. And, it should be greatly remorsed over, especially by the likes of the specific characters that we are speaking of. Taking a life is a huge responsibilit, as much so (if not moreso) than having the power to take it is in the first place.

If only people in real llife thought of it that way, less people would die.

My signature is the pledge the Silver Age Superman made when he became Superboy; I read it over thirty years ago in an issue of World's Finest, and I still feel they sum up the heroic ideal very nicely. And that ideal isn't just for comic book characters.
    I have no problems with the pledge. It's an excellent ideal to live by. So is pledging to never commit a sin. So, what happens when we utterly and inevitably fail in both; hang up the towel?

Heroes never throw in the towel! They find another way!

In fiction, we are afforded the luxury of being able to invent some incredible means by which the hero may retain his moral purity and still defeat evil. In life, you can bet that hero will whip out his glock and bust some caps. I know I would!

...I need to get my concealed weapons permit...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

This "non-violent" violence that you speak of, is just a stone's throw from it.

It's easier to say which animals COULD talk...as most cannot. Off the top of my head, the following talk:

- 1st tree of Eternia
    - Some, maybe all, dragons
    - Kowl's race
    - Cringer/Battle Cat (the transformation MAY have made it possible for him to talk. I think Filmation screwed that up a bit).
    - Spirit/Swiftwind (the transformation allowed him to talk. Adora was startled).

Other than that, there may have been an episode or two with a random talking tree or creature. I don't believe so though. He-Man did interract with animals a bit and "understood" what their intentions were. She-Ra often telepathically talked to animals without them speaking.
    It's interesting that you referred to " a random talking tree or creature"; I think Sky Tree and Granamyr fit those bills, and then some. But I seem to recall more than just a few "random" creatures talking, with my limited recollection of Filmation. It seemed like animals were talking right and left, in every other episode at best.

I don't know. Filmation Adam was just lazy. I don't really care for MYP Adam. He was, and still is, a rich, spoiled brat. Even when he's by himself he's pretty careless and whiney. He annoyed me a bit. He did have good moments and episodes, but on a whole...I didn't enjoy him. MYP Teela isn't as good as Filmation Teela either though. 80's Teela had a grace and elegance while being a fierce warrior that MYP Teela just didn't have.
    They seemed to write 80's Teela and He-Man as being almost in their early to mid 20's. At that point, they would have grown out of their respective snarky and lazy teen phases, and would have become more or less the adults they were meant to be.

That didn't make for interesting story telling to me. As a kid, there was no one on the show for me to relate to. Hell, I don't even relate to them now, as someone in my mid-30's. However, watching MYP, even as an adult, I was reminded of myself, when I was Adam and Teela's age; a blend of both of them, I suppose.

Being extremely intelligent is not a super human trait. Neither is being extremely atheletic. Powerlifters and bodybuilders don't possess "super humand" strength, and rocket scientists don't possess "super human" intelligence. For that matter, someone who is insanely wealthy isn't "super humanly" rich.

The reality is, most human don't strive to reach their potential, and this is accepted as the norm. Thus, when people strive for very achieveable excellence, it looks "super human".

This is the definition for SUPER HUMAN that I go by.

The Joker has been twisted and trasformed into a non-human. For example, Harley Quinn is a villain, not a SUPER villain. She's just a crazy ex-psychologist with a mallet. I love her.
    Being a "non-human" (that's debateable as well) doesn't constitute being super human either. Poison Ivy, Bane, Killer Croc and a few other Batman villains are "super", but most of his cast is just "normal" nutty villains.

Yep. Super villains tend to do that. KH needs a time out.
    Ya sure you don't wanna read some Betty & Veronica comics?

I didn't say that. People can be heroes, saviours, etc. by the "any means necessary" motto. Being a superhero is BEYOND the status of hero though. That's why there is that higher standard.
    But why though? Proportionately speaking, the dynamics are exactly the same. Batman and Green Arrow fighting a couple of thugs that would shoot at them in a crowded area is no different that SM and WW fighting a couple of gods that can hurl inhabited planets at them.

Psylocke is extremely complex because she's been a few people rolled into one and her psyche and abilities are still somewhat combined. So, her killing ninja side is actually Revanche/Kwannon...a trained assassin.Before that, Psylocke was a telepath, a super model and a secret agent for the British Government (think CIA).
    It sounds like you just tried to write off or negate the fact that she's killed. Like it or not, a ninja assassin is who she is now. And the ninja assassin Kwannon/Betsy has racked up a tremendous body count, and then went back to Xavier's mansion, took what few swaddlings of clothes she had on, took a shower and went to bed. Yet, Mr. Ghandhi himself, Charles Xavier, knows (in more ways than one, I'm betting) what goes on, and allows it under his roof.

Who she was and who she is now are both figuratively and literally miles and years apart from each other now.

Well, sure. It would be something like: you attack left, you attack right, we'll hit them from behind (for example). Not: you slit his throat, iviscerate that guy, chop him in half...etc.
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you, that things change when you are staring at the sharp end of a blade, or down the barrel of a gun. The non-powered Rebellion and Masters members are not invulnerable, and can't shrug off blasts. Plus, they are facing foes that can devour them in one gulp, and they've nothing but the sword in their hand to stop such from happening.

It's not a football huddle they are in, where they won't get paid if they don't stick to the play.

In a situation where He-Man and/or She-Ra are up to their necks in Snake Men or Horde Troopers, and they can't back them up with the "dodge left/right" maneuver, and the Royal Guard finds himself dangling over the mouth of some vile villain (hey, I just notice that those 2 words are redundant ), I doubt that guardsman will hesitate. I also doubt he would ask himself "WWHMD".

Electro-shock him with their staffs to get him under control and re-imprison him?
    Yeah, and we see that didn't work. I just watched that ep again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcN7PFpzF-g

KK disarmed 2 guards in a matter of seconds. he could've killed them at his leisure, and there wouldn't have been anything they could've done to stop him. Those staff might as well have been chopsticks.

If MYP had been a little more PG-13, those guards would have surely been dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Heroes never throw in the towel! They find another way!

In fiction, we are afforded the luxury of being able to invent some incredible means by which the hero may retain his moral purity and still defeat evil. In life, you can bet that hero will whip out his glock and bust some caps. I know I would!

...I need to get my concealed weapons permit...
    I spat out my juice at the reading of this. So true though.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; March 22, 2010 at 07:57pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    This "non-violent" violence that you speak of, is just a stone's throw from it.
    Heroes not killing everyone left and right is not "non-violent". They still fight and battle.

It's interesting that you referred to " a random talking tree or creature"; I think Sky Tree and Granamyr fit those bills, and then some. But I seem to recall more than just a few "random" creatures talking, with my limited recollection of Filmation. It seemed like animals were talking right and left, in every other episode at best.
    I mentioned Sky Tree and Granamyr. 1st Tree = Sky Tree. Dragons = Granamyr. Other than my list, there weren't many, if any, other animals that talked. There were lots of guest star animals: Buzz Bee, that thing that Teela fell into the Abyss trying to help, wolf bats, that rabbit thing that kept having terrible luck, etc. None of them talked though.

The only other things would be animal hybrid races like Clawful, Mer Man, Webstor, the Snakemen, etc.

Oh...there may be two more examples. There was that pet Sticky Fingers the pirate had. I think he only repeated phrases like a parrot (so...debateable) and the evil brown "flying monkey" kind of guy. I saw him more like a sub-race though. Mix of people and animal, like Mer Man. So...again, not many.

They seemed to write 80's Teela and He-Man as being almost in their early to mid 20's. At that point, they would have grown out of their respective snarky and lazy teen phases, and would have become more or less the adults they were meant to be.

That didn't make for interesting story telling to me. As a kid, there was no one on the show for me to relate to. Hell, I don't even relate to them now, as someone in my mid-30's. However, watching MYP, even as an adult, I was reminded of myself, when I was Adam and Teela's age; a blend of both of them, I suppose.
    I don't know. I didn't like the cliche "teenagers" that hollywood usually cranks out. Adam and Teela fit them perfectly in MYP.

Being extremely intelligent is not a super human trait. Neither is being extremely atheletic. Powerlifters and bodybuilders don't possess "super humand" strength, and rocket scientists don't possess "super human" intelligence. For that matter, someone who is insanely wealthy isn't "super humanly" rich.

The reality is, most human don't strive to reach their potential, and this is accepted as the norm. Thus, when people strive for very achieveable excellence, it looks "super human".

This is the definition for SUPER HUMAN that I go by.
    Luthor DOES fit that definition you linked though:

Superhuman can also mean something that isn't human, but considered to be "superior" to humans in some ways

His intelligence IS superior to humans. He's basically a person and we're all monkies.

Being a "non-human" (that's debateable as well) doesn't constitute being super human either. Poison Ivy, Bane, Killer Croc and a few other Batman villains are "super", but most of his cast is just "normal" nutty villains.
    True...and they're just villains, bad guys, enemies, thugs, gang bangers, etc. NOT supervillains.

But why though? Proportionately speaking, the dynamics are exactly the same. Batman and Green Arrow fighting a couple of thugs that would shoot at them in a crowded area is no different that SM and WW fighting a couple of gods that can hurl inhabited planets at them.
    If there wasn't a difference there would only be one term: hero. Superhero gets it's own definition for a reason...it's different.

It sounds like you just tried to write off or negate the fact that she's killed. Like it or not, a ninja assassin is who she is now. And the ninja assassin Kwannon/Betsy has racked up a tremendous body count, and then went back to Xavier's mansion, took what few swaddlings of clothes she had on, took a shower and went to bed. Yet, Mr. Ghandhi himself, Charles Xavier, knows (in more ways than one, I'm betting) what goes on, and allows it under his roof.

Who she was and who she is now are both figuratively and literally miles and years apart from each other now.
    SHE doesn't even know who she is! They just had a four part comic about her finding herself again. It was a take on "Kill Bill" but it was "Kill Matsu'o."

Psylocke is extremely complex and hard to debate on since she basically has multiple personalities and becomes evil like...once every 5 issues.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, that things change when you are staring at the sharp end of a blade, or down the barrel of a gun. The non-powered Rebellion and Masters members are not invulnerable, and can't shrug off blasts. Plus, they are facing foes that can devour them in one gulp, and they've nothing but the sword in their hand to stop such from happening.
    Use your powers and abilities, take advantage of your enemies weaknesses, gain the high ground, etc.

In a situation where He-Man and/or She-Ra are up to their necks in Snake Men or Horde Troopers, and they can't back them up with the "dodge left/right" maneuver, and the Royal Guard finds himself dangling over the mouth of some vile villain (hey, I just notice that those 2 words are redundant ), I doubt that guardsman will hesitate. I also doubt he would ask himself "WWHMD".
    We already discussed the guards. HM and SR could grab the Hordesmen and throw them into each other (as in the massive amount of troops) to take out a bunch.

You need to check out Wonder Woman Annual #1 from 2007. She takes out NINE of her main supervillains/gods/goddesses without so much as breaking a sweat. Then some others surprise her and gain the upperhand. The other Wonder Women, Supes, Batman and Robin arrive and have her back.

Awesome fight, gain victory, nobody dies. Wonder Woman DID bite of Hercules' lower lip and tried to behead him though... That part was a bit much.

Yeah, and we see that didn't work. I just watched that ep again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcN7PFpzF-g

KK disarmed 2 guards in a matter of seconds. he could've killed them at his leisure, and there wouldn't have been anything they could've done to stop him. Those staff might as well have been chopsticks.

If MYP had been a little more PG-13, those guards would have surely been dead.
    In reality the guards, sitting in silence, would have heard the lizard's noises...the jingling of the keys when he grabbed them and stopped him BEFORE letting out the prisoners. There would also NOT be a giant sewer grate that just HAPPNES to be in the prison. It would be air-tight.

The guards also wouldn't have done the "look how twirly my sticks are." They would have zapped the buggers until they cried for their mommies...and THENSOME!

Also, they wouldn't have necessarily killed the guards, but they would have been a lot more wounded...and possibly acid burns.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; March 22, 2010 at 11:59pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Any person who loves Superman enough that he remembers a pledge from a comic a few decades old is A-OK in my book. I wish we had more heroes like Superman & He-Man than Wolverine & Conan(not that anti-heroes don't deserve a place in fiction either).

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    I think the comments about her She-Ras strength is magical is a maybe a bit ill conceived. I wasn't arguing that He-Man has larger muscles and therefore he must be stronger then his sister.

I was arguing that they are equals.They both have access to the Power of Greyskull, and being that they are twins, the idea that one may have access to more power than the other is completely preposterous in my mind.

Since She-Ra has access to magical abilities that He-Man does not(or at least has a more developed form of said abilities) it stands to reason to me that in order for that to be the case, the powers of greyskull is being drawn away from her not insubstantial physical strength.

It is no doubt not sufficient enough of a drain to make her obviously meeker, but when put side by side with her brother, she is just that little bit less strong in muscle.

This isn't exactly a difficult concept.Theres only so much power to go around.I really don't understand why people are adverse to the idea.
    I agree 100%.

Blasphemy! I'm 34 without any kids yet and I still pick up the occasional Archie Comic. It's nice to know that good, clean comics still exist out there where they haven't changed much in the past 70 years.

I feel Filmation's Prince Adam was similar to Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent; he always had the mind of a hero but he played up his ineptness or scaredy cat nature to keep his secret safe. I feel MYP's Prince Adam is closer to Billy Batson/Captain Marvel where he is basically a boy who gains wisdom and power when he transforms. Maybe it's just because I'm partial to Filmation but their Teela made me believe she could hangewith He-Man and the other heroes whereas MYP's Teela came off as a character in a CW show rather than someone who would lead the royal guard.

I really think a superhero is just a hero in a costume. Batman is a superhero but a smart person with good genetics & a great workout regime could do what he does. Superman is a superhero but as far as we know, there are no aliens living on earth.

When it comes to powers and abilities, it often depends on who writes what character. I always took Luthor's intelligence to be that of a brilliant person(although probably more brilliant than what exists in reality), but not metahuman. The guy hasn't even figured out the Clark Kent/Superman connection.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    When it comes to powers and abilities, it often depends on who writes what character. I always took Luthor's intelligence to be that of a brilliant person(although probably more brilliant than what exists in reality), but not metahuman. The guy hasn't even figured out the Clark Kent/Superman connection.
    Actually, it goes further than that - in a story soon after the 80s (post-Crisis) reboot of Superman, he fed all the known facts about Superman into a computer, and it spat back out "CLARK KENT IS SUPERMAN."

He promptly rejected it and ordered the computer to be destroyed because he was convinced Superman would never deliberately reduce himself to human level...

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Actually, it goes further than that - in a story soon after the 80s (post-Crisis) reboot of Superman, he fed all the known facts about Superman into a computer, and it spat back out "CLARK KENT IS SUPERMAN."

He promptly rejected it and ordered the computer to be destroyed because he was convinced Superman would never deliberately reduce himself to human level...
    Yeah, I remember that(it was the John Byrne era). That was also 2 reboots ago(pre-Superman:Birthright and the current Superman:Secret Origin).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ²He-Ro View Post
    I have a problem!

- We know Hordak ist banned to Despondos! (MotU200X)
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sGrayskull.jpg

- Hordak failed to conquer Eternia, short after the Birth of Adam and Adora. (Filmation Cartoon and Movies)
    http://www.thefreshelement.com/wp-co...ealthebaby.jpg

- Hordak betrays Skeletor
    Q: Why is Hordak Free from Despondos? And who frees him?

- Hordak flees to Snake Mountain and go back to Despondos
    Q: Ather that, we can see Hordak in the 200X Cartoon he want come back to Eternia / Why he cant? )

- Later Evil-Lyn frees Hordak from Despondos

- Hordak rules Eternia again... (Motu200x 3rdSeason / MotUC Bios)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...df/Hordak1.jpg

- Skeltor avenges himself on King Hisss and defeat him

- Hordak banned King Randor to the terrible dimension of Despondos

- "The Master of the Universe" are now Rebels of Eternia!

- Skeletor defeat than Hordak

Yes, and so on. Skeletor always wanted to be mightier than his former mentor. In this way, the once apprentice of the Horde leader could show his "old teacher" what it means to be known as the "Overlord of Evil"... ;-)

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**