View Poll Results: Could Classics replace your vintage collection?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like mike Classics way better

54 34.84%
  • Yes, I like mike Classics way better. I even would sell most of my vintage collection

17 10.97%
  • No way, Classics are awesome, but vintage will always be my no.1

28 18.06%
  • No way, Classics are nice, but nothing in comparison to vintage figures

8 5.16%
  • Both are equally important to me

48 30.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classics vs Vintage

Classics vs Vintage

The Four Horsemen designs rock. The figures have their vintage look, + also look very updated.
    Do you favor your Classics or your vintage collection?
    Could Classics replace your vintage toys?

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Vintage are at the top of my list, best ACTION figures ever. Check this link, I want to be in the league of these guys oneday, some are fellow orgers
    http://www.crazycollectors.de/collectors.html
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

MOTUC are awesome and i love the way the figures are sculpted & the detail put into them but they can never replace the fun/memories i had as a kid with the vintage figures. I'm still looking for some vintage figures to complete my collection and i won't be satisfied until that happens

Not sure if I count, since I don't really have a vintage collection. Well, I have all my vintage figures from when I was a kid, but that's just because my parents never threw my stuff out and I never got rid of it. So I wouldn't call it a collection, since I didn't really collect the stuff together on purpose save for when I played with them as a kid.

If I DID, though, I'd be ignoring them as much as I do now and playing with the Classics figures. I mean, the originals were perfect action figures for a kid (sturdy, simple, fun) but nowadays they are more like display peices. As an adult I find myself playing with figures that have more articulation, since I wana pose them and set up action pics 'n such. The originals won't be doing any of that...so they just sit there. I acknowledge a collection display, but that kinda thing just isn't for me if I can't pick up the display every so often and rearrange it and repose the figures.

So yes, if it came down to vintage over classics, I'd choose classics because my taste in figures has changed over the years.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Who's Mike?
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

I would never sell any of my MOTU collection, classics is just an extension of the MOTU collection I started back in 1984.

For me the MOTUC is the better!

I love both (finally got a Castle Grayskull this past weekend at an antique store-nearly complete-for only $16!!!) (If you can sell me a Vintage Weapons Rack and the small Blaster, I would appreciate it!).

The original line has a great amount of sentimental value to me and will never be replaced, but I am loving the Classics, and it may be my favorite toyline ever, when all is said and done.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

IMO, the vintage toys were the worst of its time. No articulation in comparison to toys of that time, over exaggerated anatomies, etc. Classics all the way.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Vintage + childhood = the best Q.E.D.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I think one of the weirdest and neatest intangibles of the Classics figures is that they're the biggest figures we've gotten of these characters to date. Thus, in an odd way, the up-sizing makes them the size you remember your Masters of the Universe figures being when you were a kid. You're bigger, and the figures grew right with you. It prevents the disappointment with vintage figures of "man, these seemed bigger and cooler when I was a kid."

I already got rid of most of my vintage figures several year ago. I had too many figures that were at one time in great shape but later fell apart because of the black rubber bands.

When I got rid of my vintage figures I thought that 200X would be the only MOTU products I'd have in my collection. I was ecstatic to see the Classics figures released.

If Mattel had considered the black band problem and had given the Commemorative Series figures the same leg joints as Fling Fists He-Man then those would have been my favorite figures.

I believe that for the "any stupid very articulated toy" lovers the MOTUC brought poses to the toyline so they look at it has more cool.

I see this kind of collector as a random collector and not a MOTU fan collector.
    Have many Action figures and never refer to them as toys, because they are not to play but for "cool" display purposes... like my mother do with some of her bauble around the house.
    This kind of collector love articulation and just get bored with the old plain toys of the 80´s.
    They don´t look back when they just sell the old toys of his childhood to get the "new" versions, fixed, improved, rare and one of a kind are what they want.
    They want to look to the future... their past have no appeal... was it bad?

For hardcore MOTU fans... 1st and 2nd vague of the classic (vintage), are the true treasure.
    Old school, original run, and dear memories are what they want.
    No need for articulation, it just have to remember them something from their past. If it is released again, it don´t have to be fixed or new, just correctly and accurately done.
    They want their memories near them. They have no problems with it, was good.

I´m more with the 2nd group, that is why I love both, vintage and classic, because they are the same toys, just different versions. No new or improved in them, just done with nowadays techniques and very old school looking. The "new" was 200x and that is just over. Long live MOTU the real classic one.
    Last edited by Ulisses31; March 20, 2010 at 10:02am.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I love both, and still collect vintage, but it's MOTUC that I have displayed 24/7.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I'll always hold a special place for vintage. I mean, even today they're pretty cool figures. Hell, I was checking out loose Thundercats toys and cringed!! (not the greatest!) So, Classics are WAY better than vintage. The 4H have outdone themselves and have really done us proud with this line. I can't thank them enough.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    the vintage will always have that very old feeling that makes old memories flash though your mind, the classics are inspired on that feeling, and they are so ACCURATE, both important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosicrucian View Post
    I think one of the weirdest and neatest intangibles of the Classics figures is that they're the biggest figures we've gotten of these characters to date. Thus, in an odd way, the up-sizing makes them the size you remember your Masters of the Universe figures being when you were a kid. You're bigger, and the figures grew right with you. It prevents the disappointment with vintage figures of "man, these seemed bigger and cooler when I was a kid."
    Wow, I never even thought of it like that... But you're so right.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

I love both versions to be honest. The classics are ultimate but the vintage can never go away in my mind. The rubber bands on the vintage are a problem and depending if they last or not, we may be left with nothing but classics, but I love them both.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

I love both versions as well. Like Alexx pointed out vintage are good for kids to play with and I sure loved my figs when I was a kid. Nowadays my taste has naturally evolved and I like that the Classics are very articulate and posable which make for great displays. Hearing though how fragile they are and don't have any action features, I don't really want to hand them over to my almost 2yr old son to play with. That's where the vintage collection comes back in. Even if he would break some of em they are still cheap to get on ebay so I rather see that he plays with those and daddy gets to enjoy his Classics

Quote Originally Posted by Rosicrucian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Wow, I never even thought of it like that... But you're so right.
    Well, I'll be... never though of it that way either but when I held my first Classics fig I just looked at it and was in awe since it just look so new, fresh, and right. Now that you mentioned it, I know it was because of the up-sizing since it felt like the vintage figs when you were a kid.
    Last edited by Man At Arms; March 24, 2010 at 08:41am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

I absolutely love MOTUC and think they are superior in many ways to the original figures. Then again, I do not think I had more fun with toys as a child than I did with my MOTU toys (G.I. Joe is neck and neck...close second though).

Honestly, MOTUC wouldn't mean anything to me without my love for the vintage toys. That's why I had to vote that they are both are equally important to me.

Both are equally important to me.

I'm getting all the MOTUC & if I see a figure I don't have from the old MOTU at a toy show, I'll pick them up too.
    I want my other half.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love MOTU.

I don't even own any vintage anymore except for Kowl that I won from eBay recently. Before that, I only had Prince Adam and Kowl as a kid and I lost them many years back. I don't feel nostalgic enough to get any more of the vintage toys. It's mostly MOTUC for me from here on out with an exception here and there.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i would sell of all my vintage. i might even box up my 200x collection on display when my motu classics gets to big. i will still keep my 200x though.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I only own a vintage Zodac. I gave all of my other MOTU toys away when I was like seven years old. However I still like the classics far better, but my absolute favorite MOTU collectibles were the stactions.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress