Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little Perspective (re: ORKO & Comic-Con Exclusives in General)

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

A Little Perspective (re: ORKO & Comic-Con Exclusives in General)

I don't get all the Mattel bashing on this. The exclusive hasn't been announced yet, so first off maybe everyone can take a deep breath until we know concretely what we're discussing. We don't have all the information yet. As for all the SDCC bashing, I would like to try to offer a bit of perspective, if I may.

My brother and I have been going to SDCC every year since 2005. We usually have a great time, but year after year it's getting worse because the lines are difficult and long to stand in with that many people, and also because my brother has a tendency to overcommit to friends back in CT who don't wish to attend SDCC and don't feel it's fair have to pay "more" or "ebay prices" instead of "at cost" for an SDCC exclusive. Many of you feel the same way as my brother's friends.

I got to the point 2 years ago where I just stopped getting in line unless it was something I personally wanted. Getting that stressed out was ruining my weekend, which I paid for. I don't get vacation pay. I'm a bartender/waiter. I'm stressed all year at work, and Comic-Con is my nerd Disney.

Meanwhile, the entire weekend, I watched as my brother went into line, bought toys, got back into line, bought MORE toys, and did it over and over and over, not for HIMSELF, but for OTHERS who couldn't attend. And ToyGuru (and many kind folks at Mattel) helped my brother. Not a little, but A LOT... like... A LOT A LOT, for him and members of he-man.org. Toyguru understood that we all have that one friend who can't attend for reasons financial or family obligations, and you try to help them out, which is why Mattel doesn't limit things to one per person. Mattel is honestly trying to help us help people like you guys who can't attend.

So I get to the end of SDCC, and guess what? Between the convention itself, the hotel we stay at, food every day and every night, and the clubs, restaurants, and bars, on top of the airfare for my bro to fly out to visit me, on top of the tons of toys for other people to mail out, we're looking at well over 2 grand. And remember, my brother wasn't selling them to profit. He was shipping them out of his own pocket, out of the spirit of goodwill.

It got to a point where he and I were arguing every year because I didn't like how my brother stretched himself so thin for others when he was becoming so frustrated. He was dropping 2 grand and not having any fun. Last comic con, we barely hung out, if at all. I didn't want to watch it anymore. These are toys!! I'll get the ones I want and pay for them and pay for my hotel, see my buddies from he-man.org and thefwoosh, chat up the Four Horsemen, and be content that I saw my friends and had a great time (usually around my birthday weekend to boot)!

And you know, I hope Orko is a part of SDCC, purely for personal reasons! My family didn't have a lot of money while we were growing up, and my brother and I got our He-Man toys at the flea market, secondhand. Orko was the first He-Man figure I got mint in packaging, brand new (all mine, only mine), and I got him on Christmas. I will always remember that feeling.

Now cut to MOTUC of today. My brother has the subscription (I can't afford it). My brother buys extras of the exact characters I had as a kid and sends them to me loose to save on shipping. If Orko is the exclusive, he'll be my first MOTUC I buy myself in person and I can't wait to rip him open!!! I'm going to be so excited!

So for those of you still upset at the idea of jumping on ebay to pay double to triple for an exclusive, ask yourself if it'll make you happy to own it regardless of prices. And if money and time is so precious to you (as it is to all of us), ask yourself which is better:

- Drop a grand or two (minimum)
    - Fly here to California
    - Walk or find a cab
    - Pay for an expensive hotel
    - Get in line with over 125,000 people, get your badge, rush BACK into line, stand in multiple lines for hours (I also don't mean to be superficial and get into the questionable hygiene of many of the attendees you spend hours in line with, but there you go)
    - Pay for overpriced food, drinks, and "heavy traffic" transportation everywhere and everytime you need something, knowing that entire weekend, 100,000 other people also need ATMs, cabs and a table at a restaurant.

OR...

- Spend maybe 60 bucks on Orko. Click a few links on ebay and debit your paypal account and have the figure show up in your mailbox.
    - For 40 extra bucks, you never get up off your butt. No flights, no gas. You live your life and he comes to you.

Think about it. Comic-Con is fun. But that whole weekend is EXHAUSTING! I hope this helps someone who's freaking out. We have so much stress. Let's try to enjoy this summer. I know I am.

I'll see you next time. [/Filmation moral fade to black]
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 28, 2010 at 07:01pm.

Best perpective ever?
    Seriously, kudos, sir.

The issue is really with how the exclusives are executed. This is currently being discussed on this thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=187695
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

I whole heartidly agree, This is something you don't hear very often. I go to SDCC every year as well, I'm lucky I live in San Diego.

But last year it was really bad the whole mattel situation I didn't get anything I had to order everything on line. SDCC is my vacation I'm there to have fun, relax splurge a little not wait in line hours and hours and hours not having any fun. I've been there in similar situations in the past where i get lots of stuff for people. But it's a really big hassle and people don't always realize that.

I get so many random people I don't know PM me hey pick me up such and such.. I'm more and more just not getting that much for other people. Most of the stuffs online you can get it easier.

Hell I've had some situations where I just rather order exlusives after the show than waste my comic con time in lines.

but yeah i totaly relate to that

Congratulations on an excellent post! You should be commended for such an intelligent exposition and I hope it makes folk think again before they criticise Mattel for the exclusives.

As an Australian the only way I could ever hope to obtain SDCC or other convention exclusives is via ebay - something I have successfully been able to do over the years. It has never worried me to pay more buying online for a subscription exclusive.

I understand the convention exclusives are a way to generate extra buzz and promotion for our beloved MOTU line so I support Mattel providing exciting exclusives that fans will want. From my perspective it just adds to the thrill of the chase of collecting, instead of the monotony of waiting for a sub to arrive or fighting the WSOD each 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    The issue is really with how the exclusives are executed. This is currently being discussed on this thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=187695
    My point is the same. You have to pay a mark up, which stinks, but at least the toy exists and you can get him. I wasn't a fan of the whole Gleek situation, but Mattel did try to rectify that. Mistakes happen. That situation wasn't perfect, but to speak selfishly, I got my Zan & Jayna and I got my Gleek. And to be honest, if there wasn't something at SDCC just for me, and everyone else and sitting at home can get it too, then where's the incentive to drop that kind of money in San Diego? It's business. He-Man is selling out and every year it's getting better and more characters are being added. This is so great for fans!

The good news is that a convention exclusive figure is a figure that EXISTS. Beats having no figure at all. I'm not encouraging scalping, but owning something you truly cherish should beat the price you pay. I'm more of a loose completist than a MOC completist though. Speaking for myself I really wanted Tytus to be like 15 to 19 inches tall. Mattel said he'd be 100 bucks to be that size. I would've HAPPILY paid 100 bucks for that Tytus, but I respect that not everyone would. He's still huge and I'm still gonna love him. He looks amazing and in great scale to the 80s toys. That's value!

The cool thing about Orko is that he's been done in so many scales that in any height Orko has a good chance of being accurate to something!

Well said, Agostinho. I've often bought SDCC exclusives from a locally owned toy store before they closed, and I convinced myself to pay the extra money for the exact reasons you stated.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

The simple flaw in your post sir is that your brother is one out of a minuscule of a fraction of people who actually do this. I don't see or hear of droves of He-fans flying out to SDCC each year to simply help other fans out...just doesn't happen that often man. Although that's fine and dandy that your brother does this, he is one of the very, very few who go through this long, expensive, time consuming process.

Brilliant thread, your talking a lot of sense there sir!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Knight View Post
    The simple flaw in your post sir is that your brother is one out of a minuscule of a fraction of people who actually do this. I don't see or hear of droves of He-fans flying out to SDCC each year to simply help other fans out...just doesn't happen that often man. Although that's fine and dandy that your brother does this, he is one of the very, very few who go through this long, expensive, time consuming process.
    I think you may have missed the point of his post...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    The exclusive hasn't been announced yet, so first off maybe everyone can take a deep breath until we know concretely what we're discussing.
    We know enough already. TG said that the MOTUC SDCC exclusive and the Matty version would be significantly different from each other and that most fans would want both. That is all I need to know.
    My brother and I have been going to SDCC every year since 2005. We usually have a great time, but year after year it's getting worse because the lines are difficult and long to stand
    YOu are just proving what I've been arguing--that the SDCC exclusives are bad for everybody. Completist fans who can't attend for whatever reason having to resort to hiked up ebay auctions and fans who instead of getting to enjoy the con itself are stuck in frustratingly long lines waiting for figures that may or may not be sold out by the time you get up to the front.

Nothing is static--yes exclusives might have been a part of the toy industry before but things change and with Mattel gearing their two popular action figure lines to adults who hate the hassel of chasing after these figures on ebay I think it would be smart to re-evaluate the idea of a SDCC exclusive that excludes the rest of us.

If any particular segment of the fanbase deserves any special consideration it should be those of us who continue to buy each and every MOTUC and DCUC figure or accessory pack. TG repeatedly has said that it us who guarantees the line's continued existence and if that is the case Mattel should do a much better job making all the items easily available at cost rather than some fan at a con that may or may not buy everything or more likely a greedy reseller walking away with casefuls.

And if Mattel has to have one then either slap a SDCC logo on the exclusive SDCC one and leave the normal one for Matty or make them all the same and let those who attend get first dibs--let that be their reward. Afterall, how many people drop a ridiculous amount of money on ebay just so they can be the first to own a figure.

Is TG going to tell me that con goers would pass up on a SDCC exc MOTUC or DCUC figure if they knew it would later be sold on Matty? It certainly didn't stop Lobo or Grayskull from selling out on Matty.
    Between the convention itself, the hotel we stay at, food every day and every night, and the clubs, restaurants, and bars, on top of the airfare for my bro to fly out to visit me, on top of the tons of toys for other people to mail out, we're looking at well over 2 grand. And remember, my brother wasn't selling them to profit. He was shipping them out of his own pocket, out of the spirit of goodwill.

It got to a point where he and I were arguing every year because I didn't like how my brother stretched himself so thin for others when he was becoming so frustrated. He was dropping 2 grand and not having any fun. Last comic con, we barely hung out, if at all. I didn't want to watch it anymore. These are toys!! I'll get the ones I want and pay for them and pay for my hotel, see my buddies from he-man.org and thefwoosh, chat up the Four Horsemen, and be content that I saw my friends and had a great time (usually around my birthday weekend to boot)!
    I think you are proving my point--the SDCC exclusives aren't enhancing the con experience but frustrating not only those who can't attend and therefore not get a chance to get the exclusive at cost but those who attend who have to deal with resellers, Mattel mishandling the daily quantity for sale or like last year misplacing a case of Gleeks.
    So for those of you still upset at the idea of jumping on ebay to pay double to triple for an exclusive, ask yourself if it'll make you happy to own it regardless of prices. And if money and time is so precious to you (as it is to all of us), ask yourself which is better:

- Drop a grand or two (minimum)
    - Fly here to California
    - Walk or find a cab
    - Pay for an expensive hotel
    - Get in line with over 125,000 people, get your badge, rush BACK into line, stand in multiple lines for hours (I also don't mean to be superficial and get into the questionable hygiene of many of the attendees you spend hours in line with, but there you go)
    - Pay for overpriced food, drinks, and "heavy traffic" transportation everywhere and everytime you need something, knowing that entire weekend, 100,000 other people also need ATMs, cabs and a table at a restaurant.
    Oh please spare me making it sound like a vacation to San Diego is some sort of great personal sacrifice deserving of an exclusive--if it is stay home--I know when I go on vacation it is to relax and I don't expect someone to dangle a carrot in front of me. The vacation itself is the incentive and reward. If you don't have the $2000 to go then don't go but don't use that as an argument as to why there should be a SDCC exclusive.
    Last edited by degra; March 28, 2010 at 09:00pm.

I had been considering going to SDCC and already came to this conclusion (that I'd rather pay the extra on eBay that put up with the expense and line-waiting of SDCC). And I'll only have to pay for it on eBay if the "SDCC-exclusive" aspect is something better than He-Ro's tampo last year, which I didn't care about--otherwise I can just buy it when they sell it online after the show.

God help them if Orko is the SDCC-exclusive "Gleek," though--i.e., not available online after the show. But I think even Mattel knows better than that.

As for the larger argument of whether to do SDCC exclusives at all...well, SDCC exclusives do tend to be pretty awesome and require new or extra tooling, and I think in general we wouldn't see them otherwise (though Orko is actually an exception to that, in this case). So as annoying as they are, I'm glad they exist.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    As for the larger argument of whether to do SDCC exclusives at all...well, SDCC exclusives do tend to be pretty awesome and require new or extra tooling, and I think in general we wouldn't see them otherwise (though Orko is actually an exception to that, in this case). So as annoying as they are, I'm glad they exist.
    I don't know about that. I think they all would have still been produced even Lobo could have been sold on Matty. He-Ro's parts have been re-used, the Wonder Twins just used the standard DCUC male/female bucks. And anything MOTUC sells really well so Mattel could justify cost involving any new tooling with this line.

The only thing elaborate with SDCC are the packaging but I think most of us could forego that.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    YOu are just proving what I've been arguing--that the SDCC exclusives are bad for everybody.
    Not bad for Mattel (quite the opposite ), and not bad for me and other people who finally get to the front of the line.

Completist fans who can't attend for whatever reason having to resort to hiked up ebay auctions and fans who instead of getting to enjoy the con itself are stuck in frustratingly long lines waiting for figures that may or may not be sold out by the time you get up to the front.
    I've gotten every figure I've wanted. Get to know a friend who'll help you. Hiked up ebay prices still beat all the expenses at SDCC hands down. I'm not making an argument. You ever heard the expression, "Life happens when you're busy making plans?" You can't control certain things that happen in life, but you can control your reactions to them. You can't control the fact that Mattel makes a million dollars or more at SDCC on their exclusives. It's HUGE for them. You think they are going to stop because fans are typing on their keyboard a little harder. That's not realistic. My perspective is a result of THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION.

Mattel drew the line in the sand. Either buy them at the con, or buy them afterward on ebay or from a friend. A failure to plan is a plan to fail. Plan for the exclusives. Make an Orko fund. Stopping them altogether is not one of their options, but it is one of yours if you choose to put your foot down and skip the exclusives on principle. People say they are leaving the line, but it seems more people are getting on board than getting off, so react however you like to that. I love the line. I'm getting me Orko (if he's confirmed).

Nothing is static--yes exclusives might have been a part of the toy industry before but things change and with Mattel gearing their two popular action figure lines to adults who hate the hassel of chasing after these figures on ebay I think it would be smart to re-evaluate the idea of a SDCC exclusive that excludes the rest of us.
    So if there are no exclusives, what is Mattel going to sell? Remember SDCC have incentives to go. What would be the incentive? No one will pay a couple grand if they could as easily get their stuff from their house for the same price. There's no reality (or common sense, or business sense) in this logic. We're talking about business. Mattel spends a lot of money on their booth. They need to pay for all that. I understand that you want a solution so everyone gets their figures, but not making exclusives at all will not happen. It won't. Toy companies rake in millions that weekend. Stopping exclusives, a proven sell-out moneymaker, isn't an evolution. You simply want your SDCC figures conveniently without attending comic-con. You have your choice. Go to SDCC or spend the money on ebay. You're spending more on the figure in either direction. As an adult collector we're aware there are going to be exclusives somewhere. This isn't any different. People are trying to change the rules when they aren't the one making them to startwith, nor are they in a position to do so.

If any particular segment of the fanbase deserves any special consideration it should be those of us who continue to buy each and every MOTUC and DCUC figure or accessory pack. TG repeatedly has said that it us who guarantees the line's continued existence and if that is the case Mattel should do a much better job making all the items easily available at cost rather than some fan at a con that may or may not buy everything or more likely a greedy reseller walking away with casefuls.
    Yeah, well fans who trek all the way to SDCC would like some special consideration, too. That's what the exclusives are for. Thanks.

TG already said something to the respect that the figure at SDCC will be a variation of a figure on mattycollector. So if you go to matty or to SDCC you're getting an Orko either way. Your collection won't be missing Orko, just one variant of him. PM someone for help in getting one for you, or attend the con so you can see what we go through firsthand.

And if Mattel has to have one then either slap a SDCC logo on the exclusive SDCC one and leave the normal one for Matty or make them all the same and let those who attend get first dibs--let that be their reward. Afterall, how many people drop a ridiculous amount of money on ebay just so they can be the first to own a figure.
    Be serious, if the difference was a STAMP would you go? First dibs as a reward? Remember exclusives are incentives. I'm speaking as someone who skipped conventions as well as attended them. You think these are incentives worth spending money like that on? That's less than weak. They know this, which is why we get Faker and He-Ro for exclusives. People show up and they sell out. On top of it, even King Grayskull is coming back in an effort to help fans who want one in their collection, as is Faker. They idea that Mattel is trying to keep figures away from you is crazy.

Is TG going to tell me that con goers would pass up on a SDCC exc MOTUC or DCUC figure if they knew it would later be sold on Matty? It certainly didn't stop Lobo or Grayskull from selling out on Matty.
    Quantities were limited. Mattel tried to changed the rules (con-only exclusives with no stock left for matty -Gleek). I don't like that either, but they warned us. It wasn't a surprise. I hope they don't do that with Orko, but I don't think they would. I'll be there either way.

I think you are proving my point--the SDCC exclusives aren't enhancing the con experience but frustrating not only those who can't attend and therefore not get a chance to get the exclusive at cost but those who attend who have to deal with resellers, Mattel mishandling the daily quantity for sale or like last year misplacing a case of Gleeks.
    I agree that the con-goers should have an easier time getting the figures, but didn't you just say we shouldn't get any at all? Or we get an official stamp! Why don't we just get a star on our foreheads? Point is I'm glad the line is a hit. I really am. We got He-Man back!

Oh please spare me making it sound like a vacation to San Diego is some sort of great personal sacrifice deserving of an exclusive--if it is stay home--I know when I go on vacation it is to relax and I don't expect someone to dangle a carrot in front of me. The vacation itself is the incentive and reward. If you don't have the $2000 to go then don't go but don't use that as an argument as to why there should be a SDCC exclusive.
    Spoken like someone who has never been to Comic-Con.

I'm not arguing at all. You are. I never said there must be an SDCC exclusive, but I'm smart enough to understand why there is. SDCC is a business, too. The reason I go is to see he-man.orgers and fwooshers I don't get to see all year long or ever met in person. That is a joy of mine. I get to have an opinion about comic con because I went. But by all means, tell us about your SDCC experiences. You have no frame of reference to make a comparison.

I love the city of San Diego. It's beautiful and awesome. Going there with a couple hundred thousand people is a pain. Why do we go? We could all meet in anytown, USA. We go for the toys and each other. They are the incentives. Mattel is doing its job right because they make 'em, and we show up.

This argument you're creating the the equivalent to "The next 4 MOTUC figures should be Sorceress, Ram-Man, Man-E-Faces, and Spikor since they win all the polls." Great. All your points are entirely designed as to how this toyline should be fit service YOU, not service itself (which is what a business does). The compromise is to see how BOTH can benefit. Mattel WILL make exclusives, and you CAN get them. You have to plan how you wish to do that. Mattel is trying to service itself AND you (although we bicker all the time about how well we feel about service with Digital River). The point is Mattel is thinking of the consumers AND itself (mostly itself as it is a business), while you're thinking of yourself excluding Mattel, WHILE accusing Mattel of the exact same thing. It doesn't serve a purpose in strengthening MOTU as a brand, which is the point of the whole line. To push the brand.

There are people who go to SDCC and have a terrible time of it. You said so yourself, that people hate waiting in line to find out their exclusive is sold out before they get to the front. I'm trying to relay my experiences in Comic Con as a good AND bad one.

Again, the exclusives are not going away, so people need to stop trying to make that a solution. I don't like the exclusive thing at all. But your solution is to put an SDCC stamp on a toy and have the basic release without the SDCC stamp? Really? That's an incentive for con-goers? Really? Like, really? Would you go to comic-con if that was the deal? Have you even been to comic con? A lot of people have opinions without life experience to back it up. SDCC is not a dream. I enjoy it, but it's not fun at times. Seeing my friends and getting my toys make it worth it. I could plan a lot of other things for vacations, but I choose SDCC because my brother and I get to see everyone from all over the world in one shot in person. He-Man brings us together. You're welcome to join us.

See you in line?

And let me tell you something. When you get those figures, you REALLY feel like you've earned them!

Go to the other forum. There's usually a "Who's Going to SDCC" Thread. PM someone attending and ask for assistance. That costs you zero, my friend.
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 28, 2010 at 11:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

With a line like MOTUC, SDCC exclusives are more of an incentive for resellers to attend the con. IMO, con exclusives should be characters like Mo-Larr, not Orko. Releasing main characters as con exclusives is just asking for fan backlash, much like Gleek last year. To make it even worse, you have employees not following the per person limits on items.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Heroic Warrior
    I've gotten every figure I've wanted. Get to know a friend who'll help you.
    So are you offering to pick them up for me? No, seriously.
    You can't control the fact that Mattel makes a million dollars or more at SDCC on their exclusives.
    And are you saying that those very same figures wouldn't fly out the door on Matty?
    Mattel drew the line in the sand. Either buy them at the con, or buy them afterward on ebay or from a friend.
    That's pretty stupid of Mattel. They could easily sell them at the con and at Matty too. It is as if they are afraid of selling stuff to people. People want DCUC and MOTUC but they either can't find them or don't make enough to meet demand.
    So if there are no exclusives, what is Mattel going to sell?
    They can sell leftover stock like they've done before like He-Man and Skeletor last year. They can even have their damn SDCC exclusives just make sure they are the same ones that will be available on Matty too.
    Remember SDCC have incentives to go. What would be the incentive?
    I simply don't follow this logic. I've heard TG try to sell the notion people go to SDCC to stand in line every day hours on end for a figure but I would think most rational people go for the community, the various panels, the autograph signings, the big Mattel DCUC and MOTUC reveals of upcoming product.
    No one will pay a couple grand if they could as easily get their stuff from their house for the same price.
    First of all I really don't believe most people go to SDCC simply for a figure. They go for the con, the panels, the stars, the friendship, the sights and sounds of San Diego and for a respite.

But let's assume you are right that people only would go to SDCC for the Mattel exclusives don't you think that getting the figure before the rest of us wouldn't be an incentive enough.
    You simply want your SDCC figures conveniently without attending comic-con.
    Yes I do. I supported the DCUC and MOTUC line in this economy, bought all their product through all the quick sell-outs, the poor distribution, the QC issues. I think the least Mattel could do is make something readily available at a reasonable price. They are already gouging consumers with what they call retail even moreso with a SDCC exclusive I don't think it is reasonable to then go to ebay sellers who hike it up even more.
    You're spending more that just the cost of the figure in either direction.
    People already are going to the con whether there is a figure or not.
    Yeah, well fans who trek all the way to SDCC would like some special consideration, too. That's what the exclusives are for. Thanks.
    Then they are going for the wrong reasons if the sole reason is to get a SDCC exc figure from Mattel. And besides you'd still get your exclusives with an item sold first at SDCC or one with a SDCC logo on it. Mattel had it figured out perfectly last year, at least with MOTUC--put a logo on it commemorating the fact that you got your souvenir.
    So if you go to matty or to SDCC you're getting an Orko either way. Your collection won't be missing Orko, just one variant of him.
    But I am a completist and would want the variant.
    All your points are entirely as to how this toyline should service YOU, not service itself (which is what a business does). The compromise is to see how BOTH can benefit. Mattel WILL make exclusives, and you CAN get them. You have to plan how you wish to do that. Mattel is trying to service itself AND you (although we bicker all the time about how well we feel about service with Digital River). The point is Mattel is thinking of the consumers and itself, while you're thinking of yourself excluding Mattel, WHILE accusing Mattel of the same thing.
    Huh? I don't see the issue in how what I'm suggesting is going to hurt Mattel's bottomline. Anything MOTUC sells out so why not instead of selling out to just one group why not satisfy the rank-and-file fan who is the heart of the fanbase.
    But your solution is to put an SDCC stamp on a toy and have the basic release without the SDCC stamp? Really? That's an incentive for con-goers? Really? Like, really?
    Yeah like really. It happened last year didn't it--no harm no foul.
    Would you go to comic-con if that was the deal? Have you even been to comic con?
    Yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Depp View Post
    I think you may have missed the point of his post...
    Not at all. I just don't like the fact he touts his brother as such a hard worker for getting the exclusives for others. I've waited in lines for exclusives before. It can be tedious, but hard work? Well, let's not get carried away. I know he didn't outright say "hard work", but it felt kind of implied. That IS very kind of him to do so, and I applaud him...but if he chooses that over himself having fun, well, he has only his self to blame, not the people he is buying for.

I don't understand the idea to make something available to such a small fraction of the fanbase. I mean, realistically, it's probably less than 1% of the fanbase are actually able to attend SDCC (let's not forget our international friends either.) Do they expect people not to be upset when they are unable to get the figure (for a reasonable price) if they could just mass produce it and sell it on Matty.com as well and increase their profits...? (because at the end of the day, it all comes down to what's good for the business, NOT what's good for the consumer...or at least that's usually how Mattel operates.) The fact that a con-exclusive may go for a lot more on the secondary market does nothing to help Mattel out. So WHY do it? It just seems like a stupid con-culture tradition that needs to die.
    Last edited by Rainboy; March 29, 2010 at 12:10am.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Good post sir!

After attending the SDCC a couple of times, I must say that it is a fun experience and that everyone (who cares about this type of stuff) should try to go at least once.

With that said, I TOTALLY agree with you on the "standing in line" situation. It is uncomfortable, obnoxious, hot, stinky, tiring, and incredibly claustrophobic. I will gladly pay the extra amount of money for less hassle.

But, I don't see why Mattel can't just make the SDCC toys "exclusive" for the first month or so. Then afterward they could start to sell them through Matty as well. (Similar to what they did with He-Ro, Wonder Twins, and Egon Spengler...) Mattel would make a KILLING...

I know other companies like NECA have made deals with websites like Amazon through which to sell their exclusives during the SDCC. Why can't a company like Mattel (who have their OWN website) do this??

Those who attend the SDCC still get their "reward" and bragging rights since they will have theirs first, and everyone else who can't or won't go will eventually be able to get some love to!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Yes I would.
    So you've been to SDCC?

I also believe A) everyone should attend SDCC at least once, and B) the lines are a huge pain to do even once, let alone again and again. This isn't just Mattel. Try being into lots of different properties, one after the other. NECA, Mattel, Hasbro, DC Direct (they were the most difficult to obtain stuff from). A lot of opinions are going on about SDCC from a lot of people who've never set foot in San Diego. Just saying.

I realize Orko is a main character, and I'm not saying whether or not it is a good idea to make him specifically an exclusive or that exclusives are fun (I think everyone should be able to get everyone they want as long as they have the money). All I'm saying is that exclusives aren't disappearing anytime soon, and they will always be frustrating. Just form a plan and try to get it. (Just don't ask my brother, please).

If you hate scalpers, well, know thy enemy. Ask a fellow he-fan attending if they are buying one, and, if so, ask if they have extra funds, to buy a second one for you. Learn to socialize a bit. Network. That doesn't cost a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    With a line like MOTUC, SDCC exclusives are more of an incentive for resellers to attend the con. IMO, con exclusives should be characters like Mo-Larr, not Orko. Releasing main characters as con exclusives is just asking for fan backlash, much like Gleek last year. To make it even worse, you have employees not following the per person limits on items.
    Resellers are all over this line, period, SDCC or not. They are just everywhere in this line. It's just that crazy with both the exclusives and basic monthly figures. Mattel hasn't announced a cancellation and we're getting Optikk, Count Marzo, and She-Ra. I'm gonna keep playing along.

Not at all. I just don't like the fact he touts his brother as such a hard worker for getting the exclusives for others. I've waited in lines for exclusives before. It can be tedious, but hard work? Well, let's not get carried away. I know he didn't outright say "hard work", but it felt kind of implied. That IS very kind of him to do so, and I applaud him...but if he chooses that over himself having fun, well, he has only his self to blame, not the people he is buying for.
    Wow, you missed the point. I didn't tout my brother as being a hard worker, you just reiterated my point. I told my brother if he was frustrated he only had himself to blame (those words exactly), which is why this year he's not buying for anyone other than himself, so hopefully it means one day to shop and 4 days to hang out.

You keep going over the same moot point: the exclusives are bad idea and they should get rid of them.

The reality is they are there and are not going anywhere. How you deal with that is up to the individual. I'm just growing weary of the same points every year about SDCC toy being con-only. Of course they are. Find a way to get them. No matter what they will sell out and people will be unhappy. It's Orko? So what? If it wasn't Orko, it'd be Mermista, Marlena, Sssqueeze, Flogg, Shokoti.... someone (completists) will be irate because ANY character big or small is still a version to hunt for regardless.

If the SDCC figure is getting a markup you have 4 months to put away a bit of money to pay for him/them. I understand being annoyed at first. I can relate. But hanging onto it, and not trying any sort of positive solution to get your figure hurts you.

I love Orko, and if he's coming in July well it's a great b-day present for me. I'm going to put my energy into getting him.
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 29, 2010 at 01:45am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Agostinho, well done!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I don't understand the idea to make something available to such a small fraction of the fanbase. I mean, realistically, it's probably less than 1% of the fanbase are actually able to attend SDCC (let's not forget our international friends either.) Do they expect people not to be upset when they are unable to get the figure (for a reasonable price) if they could just mass produce it and sell it on Matty.com as well and increase their profits...?
    Great post. I don't buy the idea for a second that this is the only way some of these figures would get made, or that they need the exclusives to get people to go to the con.

It just seems like a stupid con-culture tradition that needs to die.
    Agreed. It's the exact opposite of what makes this hobby fun.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Some people are completists, and I don't mean to knock completists when I say that they will ALWAYS have some gripe about collecting any line, because whether it's a mail-away, a con, a store exclusive, a chase figure, a packing/painting error, whatever, there will always be something that's harder to get than everything else, and eventually they will need to go to the secondary market for it.

I don't think that's why most folk are upset here.

Some people like attending the Con and being able to get the thing there. I get that, I'll never make it there for a variety of reasons, but I don't want to deny anybody's ability to get a special incentive. Having collected toylines for countries other than the USA for several years I've learned to accept that some things will not be easily available, and if I REALLY want it, I'll make that sacrifice and buy from ebay.

So I get why Agostinho wrote what he did, and it was fairly well put.

However, my gripe is and has been that Orko is way too key a character to make an exclusive, regardless of how much he is offered for sale on Matty afterwards. Molar is a good idea because he's not even a character, Greyskull and He-Ro were barely characters in anything, they made sense as well.

Orko is not exclusive fodder. He should be a subscription figure, plain and simple. I'd even guess folks who hope he IS the exclusive because they don't personally like him can't deny that he's a key character and SHOULD probably be in the sub.

Of course now people will quote and deny that statement, but deep in your hearts you know it's true.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree the only way most of us have to get the items is through people who got extra & re-sell them. Mind you that once you figure the expense of going to SDCC & the price of exclusives most are lucky to break even.

The only way to stop it (reselling of toys) is if Mattel took Ban-dai's approach
    to Godzilla. Look at the tags on Godzilla product from Japan it says "For Sale In Japan Only" I have benn to toy shows where people from Ban-dai & Toho have shown up & forced dealers to c&d selling the toys (they claim it is A. to protect thier licences in other countries. B. to save them from lawsuits as the toys are not mfg. to all countries standards.)

Heroic Warrior
    And to be honest, if there wasn't something at SDCC just for me, and everyone else and sitting at home can get it too, then where's the incentive to drop that kind of money in San Diego?
    Aside from meeting celebrities and comic writers at the Con, the opportunity to see exclusive content and previews at the Con before anyone else has a chance to see it, and the panels and the information overload of the Con--not to mention the awesome Con atmosphere?

I guess there is none.

This is a good post. I've never been to SDCC but my friend and I used to talk about going when we were younger. I would love to go and check it out some time but if I ever go, I don't want to be standing in a line waiting for figures. I would want to check out all the great panels and booths. I have no problem paying a premium for a SDCC exclusive as I don't actually have to go to SDCC to get it. If Matty offers it online, then great. If not (or I can't score it the day it's online) and I really want the figure, I'll pay the premium to get it on ebay.