Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.33!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    4. Mr.Treeface: Optikk's bio leads me to believe that neither He-Man or Skeletor travels to the future. Is this indeed the case? Has that story line been scrapped?

Not as much scrapped as much as it has been streamlined. We looked at the notes for the proposed 3rd and 4th season of the 2002 series and tried to incorporate those ideas into the bios. One of our big goals for the MOTUC line was to create as many diverse characters and as many “battle situations” as possible to fuel fan’s imaginations as they create their own adventures. In the case of Optikk and the NA characters, they were incorporated into the Classic bios as they would have been incorporated into the 4th season of the 2002 show.
    Hmm, 3rd and 4th seasons.... So, we know quite a bit about season 3 (though I'm sure not everything), but I personally know nothing about season 4.... Can we get an outline of what might have been?
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    3. MoViEfReAk: After seeing the new "Space Mutants" logo many fans wonder why there was no 1989 "He-Man" toy logo on the blister. Does this new logo have a history or is it a new invention, and also why you are not using the He-Man toy logo to designate figures are from the 1989 NA toy line like you are with the POP logo?

The “He-Man” logo used on the 1989 line didn’t really describe the “factions” from this series the way “Space Mutants” and “Galactic Protectors” does. This was a much more exciting way to call them out on package.
    So are we going to get a "Great Rebellion" logo for Glimmer, Bow, Frosta, etc; and the NA "He-Man" logo on NAHM himself? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    http://marvel.com/universe/Image:Galactic_Guardians.JPG

that's because Marvel Comics now have a superhero team also called Galactic Guardians but Galactic Protectors is just as good.
    Uh... "now"? That miniseries is almost twenty years old - dating from shortly before the NA cartoon, as I recall - and the trademark is long abandoned (even before you consider that toys and comics are different trademark categories - which is why IDW could do a Transformers: Hot Rod one-shot a couple of years back, when Hasbro can't release a Hot Rod toy under that name for TM reasons).

A "Great rebellion" logo on Glimmer and Co. would be ultra-cool!
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    You know, there was a time when the answer to this question would have been "We totally hear the fan demand for this type of release, but we simply do not have the rights to the Filmation library."

I'm just sayin'.

EXACTLY!

Based on this answer, and Toyguru's answer at the official Mattel Q&A at Toy Fair (seen on Pixel Dan's video) regarding Mattel's pursuing the rights to Filmation characters, I would bet money that Mattel is going to announce that they HAVE acquired the rights to Filmation stuff.

Let's face it, they could not have legally asked Pixel Dan to remove the Filmation images and music if they didn't ALREADY have the rights. They could ask, I guess, and hope he would, but why would they? Mattel is notorious for being grabby and control-freakish when it comes to people even suggesting the use of its properties (just look what they did with the t-shirt sales here). Plus, legally, they can't demand someone remove those images or music if they don't own the rights.

Again, they COULD but it would be similar to my asking The Kurt Weill Foundation to stop using any and all Kurt Weill info and music for its purposes (I was in a Kurt Weill show on Broadway, so my point is that I am attached to that property in the media, and it would be ridiculous for me to try to claim ownership of Weill's work simply because we share a common media link.... I would have to have purchased his estate).

And no, I am not suggesting all this because I was told anything lol. In this case, I have heard nothing about Filmation (which leads me to believe that any other leaks I have heard along the way were probably leaked to the people who told me on purpose, so that they could leak that info to all their friends and create buzz for the line ).

Acquisition of the rights to Filmation's MOTU & POP stuff would be MAJOR news and there would be a bigger temptation to leak that info, as opposed to who the next quarterly figure is, etc. (who knows what else Mattel might acquire with a purchase of the Filmation library: if I were Boomerang, I would have said, to Mattel, "It's all or nothing. We aren't selling you JUST the MOTU & POP rights... you have to buy ALL of the Filmation library rights or suck it." I mean, what is Boomerang going to do with the rest of the Flimation stuff anyway at this point?)

Sort of an hollow answer on the Credit Card/Digital River question, but I would also bet that from here on out, Mattel will do damage control at best with digital river. I don't expect DR to be handling the 2011 subscriptions or sales.

Why is Mattel calling the NA heroes "Galactic Protectors," when they were called "Galactic Guardians?" It's not like "Galactic Guardians" was a title exclusive to the NA cartoon. That title appeared on the toy pacakaging. I don't understand that at all... I can understand changing "Evil Mutants" to "Space Mutants," just to distinguish them from Eternian or Etherian monsters... but the Galactic Protectors thing is weird.

And, does it matter that the NA logo wouldn't describe the NA characters' factions? That's not the point of the labels. The Horde characters had a special iconic label in the vintage line, as did the Snake Men. POP characters are from the POP line... NA characters, good or evil, should have the "He-Man" label... it's not like the bad-guys in the MOTU vintage line are labeled as such in the MOTUC line with a unique label. I smell more Toyguru 'spin.' LOL

These are the instructions provided to me by a DR phone rep when I needed to update my credit card on Monday. Also worth mentioning is that my credit card declined when my subscription processed. I made the changes below, and today the card reprocessed and my subscription order is in process.

In order to update your credit card information pertaining to your
    order, please follow the steps below.

1. Please go to: http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...isplayHelpPage

2. Click on the "My Payment Information" link under the My Account
    section.

3. You will be prompted for your Email address and Password. (Used
    when placing your order. If you have forgotten the password, you can use
    the "Forgot Password?" link on this page.)

4. Click the "Login" button

5. Click the "Add New Payment Method" link found on the right
    under, “Saved Payment” option.

6. Complete the requesting fields and click the "Save as default"
    option.

The payment method will be saved and future subscription charges will be
    made to the new credit card.
    TALLSTAR asked about this because many of us did exactly this and the Sub was STILL charged to our old credit cards, or shipped to our old addresses (the directions were the same for the address change as well). Apparently, Digital River only recently upgraded its system to truly make the changes stick with all orders
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 17, 2010 at 12:00pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    So are we going to get a "Great Rebellion" logo for Glimmer, Bow, Frosta, etc; and the NA "He-Man" logo on NAHM himself? If not, why not?

Uh... "now"? That miniseries is almost twenty years old - dating from shortly before the NA cartoon, as I recall - and the trademark is long abandoned (even before you consider that toys and comics are different trademark categories - which is why IDW could do a Transformers: Hot Rod one-shot a couple of years back, when Hasbro can't release a Hot Rod toy under that name for TM reasons).
    well there must be another reason and tbh i quickly looked it up and saw that copied the link without further investigating myself

Whatever the reason is, it'll be legal somewhere with lots of red tape etc..

but Galactic Protectors and Space Mutants sound fine to me.

Good point, POP is not a faction but a brand, and the Heroic and Evil Masters don't have faction stickers. They shold have just used the NA "He-Man" logo IMHO.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Good point, POP is not a faction but a brand, and the Heroic and Evil Masters don't have faction stickers. They shold have just used the NA "He-Man" logo IMHO.

Mattel would argue that POP is a lot more iconic than NA. I see don't a problem with the two extra factions. In the story i'm sure they'll merge with the evil warriors and masters.

I'm glad they ditched the 'He-Man' logo what would be the point, but i do think the He-Man should have the logo as he isn't a Galactic Protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    Mattel would argue that POP is a lot more iconic than NA. I see don't a problem with the two extra factions. In the story i'm sure they'll merge with the evil warriors and masters.

I'm glad they ditched the 'He-Man' logo what would be the point, but i do think the He-Man should have the logo as he isn't a Galactic Protector.
    I think NA He-Man should have the packaging of the He-Man line. I know it won't happen but, one can dream. POP should have packaging similar to the original as well.
    Love, friendship, or respect, do not unite people as much as a common hatred for something.
    I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    TALLSTAR asked about this because many of us did exactly this and the Sub was STILL charged to our old credit cards, or shipped to our old addresses (the directions were the same for the address change as well). Apparently, Digital River only recently upgraded its system to truly make the changes stick with all orders
    Oh. Um...did i forget to mention that after I did this I called and yelled at someone for 15 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Treeface View Post
    God help me, but that hurts me, and helps me at the same time. It kind of sucks to think about what could of been. NA in the 200x would have ruled. But I'm glad they are adding some of that story into MOTUC.
    There is ALWAYS the possibility that the storyline could be continued, one day. We are participating in the revitalization of the MOTU franchise, which is the first step. If it were to really take off again, it could happen...
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Maybe it's due to this?...

...It was just released on DVD.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

AWWW! You mean we missed the chance to see NA redesigned in 200X style? MAN! That woulda been awesome! Ah well, it's at least cool to know they were gona work it in.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    There is ALWAYS the possibility that the storyline could be continued, one day. We are participating in the revitalization of the MOTU franchise, which is the first step. If it were to really take off again, it could happen...
    If this line goes to retail, then I might get my hopes up for more of that story.
    Either through comics or direct to DVD.
    Love, friendship, or respect, do not unite people as much as a common hatred for something.
    I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    This is the best Q&A in a long time.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Oh yea, that "Heroic Guards" two pack. You know, being one of the first ones out the door, which should be shown at SDCC...
    I am hoping for an army-builder for Skeletor. It is easy to do the devil-army Skeletor has in "The Power of PointDread", "Masks of Power" and "Siege of Avion" minicomics. Just use repainted Beast-Man body and give it a devil-like head. I think these devil-warriors (a.k.a Orcs, a.k.a Ilkorts) are interesting. Since Skeletor is the main badass in MOTU he deserves an army that is really devilish!!!!

Glad there's an idea about a collecting the audio track and mix 'em together in one CD or two. I hope they re-master the old tape and do a full track like 3 minutes or more in this one.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

You know, there was a time when the answer to this question would have been "We totally hear the fan demand for this type of release, but we simply do not have the rights to the Filmation library."

I'm just sayin'.
    Yes.. I came back to this March Q&A just to check this info...

The Q:
    "With the fantastic fan demand for every thing MOTU related, do you now have the rights to and plan to release a CD soundTrack and/or iTunes MP3 Album of the Filmation He-Man and She-Ra cartoon? We are hoping this is possible since it's Mattel rather than Boomerrang telling fans on YouTube that they can't use pieces of the music in their interviews, reviews and commentaries."

The A:
    "We totally hear the fan demand for this type of release, but at this time we do not have anything to announce. It would be cool!"

I would say they are trying to get that rights...
    Last edited by Adam_Portugal; December 30, 2010 at 05:14pm.

I kind of wonder if they encouraged Classic Media to do the DVD re-release (it only helps keep the MOTU / POP brands in the public conciousness).

The sooner Classic Media capitalizes on its Filmation properties, the better.

There is a Bravestarr DVD set coming too.

Funny that the only Filmation cartoons that Classic Media is making DVD sets of are Mattel toy properties.

Back in February, at Toy Fair, TG changed his "no, we don't have the rights" comment to "no comment at this time." THAT would have been around the time Classic Media had to have at least begun planning the DVD sets.

I would NOT be surprised if Mattel and Classic Media have something worked out where Mattel will buy the rights for a reasonable fee, but Classic Media wanted to put out the DVD sets first.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Back in February, at Toy Fair, TG changed his "no, we don't have the rights" comment to "no comment at this time." THAT would have been around the time Classic Media had to have at least begun planning the DVD sets.

I would NOT be surprised if Mattel and Classic Media have something worked out where Mattel will buy the rights for a reasonable fee, but Classic Media wanted to put out the DVD sets first.
    Yes, and this Q&A was in March with the answer: "at this time we do not have anything to announce"

They know how badly we want this cartoon soundtrack and filmation characters!

...Very interesting...

I hope you're on to something here, Adam, old chum...!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!