Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new screw up by DR for international buyers!

A new screw up by DR for international buyers!

Well there have been reports of Battlecat's value stated on the customs documents as $80! (when did we pay $80 on mattycollector?) Maybe they are confusing this with their Ebay sales?...

So this morning I got a card through telling me I owe £16.90 ($26) which is the same amount that others have reported paying. It looks like all UK (at least) Battlecat shipments have been incorrectly mailed. I'm gonna *try* and get my money back from customs (but I know that it's gonna be a drawn out process as they don't like handing money back)

I'm officially done with Matty/Digital Monkeys now. I just can't afford to pay nearly double each month for a toy, because of Digital Monkeys incompetence.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Chris here...

I've had a notice through the door saying I've got to pay £13.56 import duty on a parcel, which can only be BattleCat. Why mine is over £3 cheaper than these others I have no idea!

I haven't collected the parcel yet so can't see the value DR have placed on it - I always thought I'd end up paying import duty on him, but how much import duty should BattleCat be given that he was $30, does anybody know?

And don't forget, if anyone would like to see this ****** excuse for a service improved, you could do a lot worse than sign up to the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

The same thing was mentioned in the Canada thread.

Battlecat being marked as value $80 and extra customs fees applying (not mine, but someone else reported this.)

So it looks like it might be quite widespread.

I have been having this issue with the 12" Ghostbusters since the first one was released. DR have ignored or sent stock answer replies to every communication I have had with them on the matter.

this happened to me. i'm in the netherlands, got hit with a $80 valued battle cat - got an automated answer from DR that they are not responsible for paying customs and import charges. go figure.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I've had to deal with this before (being in Canada). All you have to do is write a detailed letter and include a piece of proof for the actual price (like a Matty invoice) and mail or fax it off.

Canada customs has been pretty good to me. I received money back when either they, or sellers, have screwed up.

It does suck, shouldn't have happened and is a bit of a pain, but at least you can get some money back.

...but seriously, what they heck? Why such a widespread problem?

EDIT: If anyone was ever going to do a Better Business Bureau complaint, this would definitely be a legit case for it. DR screwed up and their answer is they aren't responsible?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

EDIT: If anyone was ever going to do a Better Business Bureau complaint, this would definitely be a legit case for it. DR screwed up and their answer is they aren't responsible?
    I don't think a typo is grounds for a Better Business Bureau complaint.

Everytime I hear someone mention reporting Matel to the BBB it's quite hilarious. I think the last time it was someone reporting them because Mattel was over promoting their subscription? I mean...REALLY? haha.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    I think the problem is here. In the box containing Battlecat, it is hand-written the value of the figure.A single figure should say 30, but it can be interpreted as 80 by sloppy writing.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post

Everytime I hear someone mention reporting Matel to the BBB it's quite hilarious. I think the last time it was someone reporting them because Mattel was over promoting their subscription? I mean...REALLY? haha.
    Putting down a value of $80 instead of $30 and DR e-mails back "We're not responsible for customs charges" when they were incurred BECAUSE of mislabelling the value of an item...which is technically illegal (regardless of intent)? Yeah, it's justified.

I wouldn't report them, but I wouldn't knock anyone who did.

...and we're talking about DR here, not Mattel. The fact of the matter is DR caused a MAJOR problem for people and refuse to do anything about it. Their response is basically a "Wow, that sucks. It's our fault, but not our problem. Good luck with that. *dial tone*"
    Last edited by Darkspecter; March 19, 2010 at 12:02pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I posted this in a new thread in hopes of:

1/Making the issue public and hoping DR/Matty take notice. I know it will happen again but you can but try!

2/Help folks in the same situation get their money back from customs.

I count Canada as international, even though it's the same continent so all fans outside the USA should post if they incurred charges due to the $80 mislabelling.

As for customs, I've dealt with HMRC before and they were very hard pressed to reimburse fees. Dunno if things have changed since then as it was around 2003 I last dealt with them. Guess we will see....

I also hope Matty admit to the mistake, as it might help get our money back from customs.
    Last edited by blackiecats; March 19, 2010 at 12:48pm.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $80 value was intentional on DR's part. $30 for your purchase, another $30 to cover a replacement they'd send if yours gets lost in the mail, and $20 to cover additional shipping, should they have to send that replacement.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Chris here...

Just got my parcel - it seems that I'm one of the lucky fans, because my parcel only said that the contents were worth $50! The complete morons working for Digital River, some of them think BC is worth $80, and some think he's only worth $50!

Seriously though, this is yet another DR foul-up, and is blatantly unacceptable!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the $80 value was intentional on DR's part. $30 for your purchase, another $30 to cover a replacement they'd send if yours gets lost in the mail, and $20 to cover additional shipping, should they have to send that replacement.
    Yep I agree and your reasoning makes sense. However technically what they are doing is illegal! Isn't it an offence to falsly declare values on customs documents?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Just got my parcel - it seems that I'm one of the lucky fans, because my parcel only said that the contents were worth $50! The complete morons working for Digital River, some of them think BC is worth $80, and some think he's only worth $50!

Seriously though, this is yet another DR foul-up, and is blatantly unacceptable!

Take care...
    Glad you got yours... our sorting office is only open 7am-12noon! Though I'm sure mine was valued at $80 as I have the same charge as SirBushnell (£16.90) and his was valued at $80.

Oh and I picked something up for you recently, I'll let you know when we chat again!
    Last edited by blackiecats; March 19, 2010 at 01:18pm.

Don't customs offices usually open the package and look at the receipt inside? The German offices seem to, since they add the shipping price to the merchandise total. I don't know how they would find out otherwise.

Regardless, I would be very upset to have the value marked up like that. It's unacceptable.
    A boy and his cat versus the world...
    http://www.jaybellbooks.com/the-cat-in-the-cradle/

Yeah this happened to me to (Canada). It was clearly meant to be "$80". It's not a messy '3'. I had no idea this would be a widespread problem. I plan on requesting the difference (I got charged $15.66 in customs/taxes but should be able to get $6.66 back--crazy number ).

We should get an explanation for this, but it'll probably just be "something they plan on bringing up with DR."
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Thankfully i have my figures shipped to a friend state side, then she'll send me maybe 2 months woth of figures at a time, with AFFORDABLE shipped tracking. It may cost me a bit more than the direct-to-me-but-no-tracking option but i know for a fact that i'll get them unmolested and correctly labelled.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Has anyone seen the movie "the jerk"!
    "He-man uses something even more powerful than his muscles to beat Skeletor, do YOU know what it is?...If you said "his brain" you were right! And just like a muscle, your brain is something you can develop to give yourself GREAT power" Man-At-Arms

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Well there have been reports of Battlecat's value stated on the customs documents as $80! (when did we pay $80 on mattycollector?) Maybe they are confusing this with their Ebay sales?...

So this morning I got a card through telling me I owe £16.90 ($26) which is the same amount that others have reported paying. It looks like all UK (at least) Battlecat shipments have been incorrectly mailed. I'm gonna *try* and get my money back from customs (but I know that it's gonna be a drawn out process as they don't like handing money back)

I'm officially done with Matty/Digital Monkeys now. I just can't afford to pay nearly double each month for a toy, because of Digital Monkeys incompetence.

i own four classics figures and every one was got on ebay, yeah i may of paid a little more, but an extra fiver is nothing compared to the crap the uk fans have to put up with.

seriously i can understand why so many fans are tempted to tell mattel to stick it
    Last edited by the_ultimate_evil; March 19, 2010 at 06:43pm.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Yea the problem is it's more than just a typo, it's the fact that they're not willing to address the issue at all in order to make good on it.

Along the same lines, I've noticed on my invoices, and I've heard people say the same thing, that they seem to be charging tax on shipping and handling, which isn't supposed to happen. They're only supposed to charge tax on the actual product.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettX209 View Post
    Yea the problem is it's more than just a typo, it's the fact that they're not willing to address the issue at all in order to make good on it.

Along the same lines, I've noticed on my invoices, and I've heard people say the same thing, that they seem to be charging tax on shipping and handling, which isn't supposed to happen. They're only supposed to charge tax on the actual product.
    agreed, moaning about a typo would be daft, but moaning about the fact people are getting over charged on the item is a legit complaint
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Problem is it isn't a typo as it's widespread on mosts folks parcels. Typo are isolated mistakes.

And the saga continues! Jeez!
    Thankfully mine was correctly priced!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

I got a card this morning demanding £16.90 as well, same as everyone else. This is frustrating.

I found a website outlining the procedure we need to use to reclaim customs charges

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...014#P106_12781

The relevant part is quoted below:

3. Charges

3.1 How are import charges calculated?
    Charges are calculated by Customs staff at the postal depots where the packages are received. However, in some cases special arrangements are in place for goods purchased on the internet (see paragraph 3.4 below).

Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £18 in value, and on gifts that are over £40 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

■basic value of goods, plus
    ■postage, packing and insurance, plus
    ■any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged
    Customs duty - Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.

The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods imported and their value stated on the customs declaration CN22/CN23 (converted using the rates of exchange for the month of importation as shown on our website).

The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.

Where the value of gifts is below £630 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.

Excise duty - this is charged on alcohol and tobacco products and is additional to customs duty. The excise duty on alcohol products such as wines and spirits depends on the alcohol content and volume. In the case of wine and cider whether they are sparkling or still. Duty on cigarettes is based on a percentage of the recommended retail selling price plus a flat rate amount per 1,000 cigarettes. On other tobacco products, for example, cigars or hand rolling tobacco, excise duty is charged at a flat rate per kilogram.

3.2 Is duty charged on used goods?
    Used goods are still liable to the same duty and VAT charges as if they were new. However, their value may vary depending on their age and condition.

3.3 How do I pay customs charges?
    Royal Mail provides several options for payment and they will inform you of the options available and the amounts payable when they contact you. A postcard or letter is usually delivered to your address, detailing the amount due and the options available for payment. Once payment has been made, the package may be collected from the post office or if you have paid on line/by phone you can arrange for it to be delivered. Details of the charges, including the Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide handling fee, will be shown separately on a label affixed to the package.

If the value of the package is over £2,000 or it is for a particular customs regime you will be sent a customs declaration form (C88 or C160) which you must complete and return to Customs at the Postal Depot before your package can be delivered. You should not send any payment with this form unless asked to do so.

3.4 Pre-payment of import VAT on goods purchased over the internet
    UK Customs has special arrangements that allow some overseas traders to charge, collect and pay over to us the import VAT for goods purchased on the internet that would normally be chargeable at the time the goods are imported. These arrangements operate under Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) signed with certain overseas customs and postal authorities. The countries who have an MoU with HMRC are: Channel Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand. Overseas traders wanting to use this procedure must be authorised to do so by their authorities.

Once authorised, foreign businesses are issued with a unique authorisation number, which they must show on the customs declaration or packaging. Also they will include the statement 'Import VAT Pre-paid'.

Where these arrangements are used you will not be charged a Royal Mail handling fee when you receive your package.

If you are a VAT registered business and purchase goods for use in your business you should keep the outer wrapper and invoice from the supplier to support your claim to input tax.

3.5 Why do I have to pay a handling fee to Royal Mail?

If customs charges are payable upon importation, Royal Mail charge a handling fee to cover the costs for carrying out customs procedures paying any customs duties or VAT due and collecting it from you. If customs examination is required, or if information is missing from the declaration, Royal Mail open, repack and reseal the package. Royal Mail fees are itemised separately on the charge label and are collected at the same time as customs charges. As they are completely separate from any customs charges, any queries about them should be raised with Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide as appropriate.

3.6 Where can I ask about or query a customs charge?

If you have any questions about a particular customs charge you should contact Customs at the postal depot shown on the charge label as soon as possible. If you write to Customs you should include as much detail as you can including, the customs charge label, the customs declaration and the part of the wrapper with your address on it. If your claim is about overcharged tax because the declared value of the goods was incorrect you will need to supply evidence, for example, an invoice, receipt of purchase etc., to support your claim.

Customs deal with thousands of packages every day and without this information we may not be able to trace your particular package in our records. If you telephone it will help if you have the package details with you. In the event of a claim you should retain all wrappings and documents until your claim is settled.

3.7 What can I do if I am not satisfied with the reply I receive?

If you think that your query has not been answered satisfactorily, or you have some additional information that may affect an earlier decision, please contact Customs at the postal depot again to try to resolve the matter.

3.8 What do I do if I disagree with a Customs decision?

If you do not agree with any decision issued to you there are three options available. Within 30 days of the date of the decision you can either:

■send new information or arguments to the decision maker
    ■request a review of the decision by someone not involved in making the disputed decision. Your request must be in writing and should set out the reasons why you do not agree with the decision.
    ■write to:
    UK Border Agency
    Reviews & Appeals Team
    Crownhill Court
    Tailyour Road
    Crownhill
    Plymouth
    PL6 5BZ , or
    ■appeal direct to the Tribunal who are independent of HMRC
    If you opt to have your case reviewed you will still be able to appeal to the tribunal if you disagree with the outcome.

Further information relating to review and appeals is contained in factsheet HMRC1 Decisions - what to do if you disagree which can be obtained from our website or by phoning 0845 900 0404
    Last edited by Teela-Na; March 20, 2010 at 07:38am.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

I got a card this morning saying I owe £11.33...DR really are starting to p*ss me off and Mattel need to ditch them ASAP before fans start just sticking with eBay. I'm a sub this year but I wont be subbing again next year regardless of what the bonus figure will be. Its not worth this crap.

Question to those who got a £16.90 card: did you open your package and remove the toys from their sealed boxes? Would this affect claiming back the £16.90 customs charge (ie does it have to be in the original sealed condition)? I would like to know before freeing Trapjaw and Battlecat from their plastic prisons.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!