Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Weaver in MOTUC - Official Discussion

How would Shadow Weaver work as a figure.

I've been watching my She-Ra DVDs, to learn more about the charactes. I never really whached She-Ra as kid. I like many really want a Shadow Weaver figure, she was the one character that did catch my attention as a kid. But now that I've watched the cartoon more closely I was wondering how Matty would make her work as a figure. Her sleeves drap down and attach to each other in the back. How would that work in figure form? They only way I can think of would be with cloth but that would not fit with the rest of the figures in MOTUC. Do you think they would just make he sleeves seperate? Then how would they make them look good when her arms are both raised and by her side. There seems to be a lot of design issues the 4H would have to work out. I have no doubt that they could make her look great, and I hope they get the chance too. What does everyone else think?
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Maybe they'd do big sleeves on her arms, something like this...

The rest maybe done like a cape?
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Like Emiliano's design. I would like wire lining in the sharp "teeth" looking outline:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Emiliano's design looks amazing! However I would like her skirt to be one solid piece. I don't care about leg articulation for her as I'd rather have her look perfect.
    Last edited by mk476; March 19, 2010 at 10:31pm. Reason: took out pic

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    The same "problem" will have Sorceress (Filmation) with her winged dress.

I'd be ok if she came out as almost a staction just so she looks fantastic. Articulation with her is not an issue for me in any way, but I'm sure for some people it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    Emiliano's design looks amazing! However I would like her skirt to be one solid piece. I don't care about leg articulation for her as I'd rather have her look perfect.
    I don't know...I think I'd like the ability to have her sit. She was always sitting in a Horde ship beside Hordak and I *think* she has a throne at Horror Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    The same "problem" will have Sorceress (Filmation) with her winged dress.
    Actually, Emiliano has an awesome design to solve that problem as well!:

Here's his album:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hp?albumid=216
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Mattel will never come up with anything nearly as cool as Emiliano's designs. She-Ra is a blatant example of the fact that they are making the wrong choices. Weaver should be as articulated as possible.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

The design by Emiliano looks good, but I'm not crazy about the knee joint. I personaly rather have a nice looking figure over a lot of articulation. Weaver does need to have jointed arms, and fabric would be the best way to have the look and the articulation. I also don't want the ab crunch on the females, the DCUC females look so awful with that joint, IMHO. The joint Hasbro uses on its female G.I. Joes looks better.

I really lilke Emiliano's Sorceress design, she looks great.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    The design by Emiliano looks good, but I'm not crazy about the knee joint. I personaly rather have a nice looking figure over a lot of articulation. Weaver does need to have jointed arms, and fabric would be the best way to have the look and the articulation. I also don't want the ab crunch on the females, the DCUC females look so awful with that joint, IMHO. The joint Hasbro uses on its female G.I. Joes looks better.

I really lilke Emiliano's Sorceress design, she looks great.
    I agree with everything you said except I want Shadow Weaver's dress made in plastic. I'm loving all the plastic capes and the detail in them.

Hear Hear! to Emiliano's desigm. It is perfect! The hip and knee articulation is extremely desired, plus swivel waist! Not a fan of the cloth cape/sleeves. I would much prefer a thin flexible rubber/plastic like the membrane on DC Direct Man-Bat's wings.

A bonus is that much of her body/dress could be re-used for Queen Marlena. 2 of my most desired MOTUC figures!

My only question is whether Shadow Weaver should touch the floor or be packaged with a dark smoky stand to emulate her floating nature?

Heroic Warrior
    In my humble opinion, Emiliano's design is the BEST I've seen for the Sorceress AND for Shadow Weaver.

It is actually perfect !

I sure hope the 4 Horsemen saw his Sorceress, and will make her in that way !

Same for Shadow Weaver, of course, but that is IF Mattel EVER buys the Filmation rights...

I'm torn on it. I'd almost rather just see a long cloth skirt for her. That way we can still do something with the figure. Otherwise, she's just going to look odd with a solid plastic skirt next to all the other classics if she's ever made. She'd be one of the most boring looking figures if she's made with a plastic skirt that is solid, or even if it moves just a little bit. Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I gotta say, that's fantastic work right there! A lot of effort went into these, you can tell.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    shadow weaver wouldn't even need legs....

to me, she's like a large Orko, where her lower body is just a robe & wouldn't need legs. just have some sort of stand for her to levitate though. everything above the waist would have to be just as articulated as the rest of the figures though.

I love LOVE that design plan for Sorceress. If Mattel actually made her figure half that cool, I'd be a happy camper.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

I'm so long waitin for WEAVER in the motuc line
    she'll be great anyway ...but I reckon emiliano ' idea its very good and oh my gosh!!! THE SORCERESS !!! when will she get made ???? hope to see teela'mother very soon down the line.....
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Emiliano's Shadow Weaver is awesome, I hope that if she gets made one day that's the route the 4HM will follow

Emiliano's design would be awesome!
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

I think they should do 200x Horde wizards and add a female one as well and please the fans!

I tried to find a picture of the Madame Web action figure (as she is close to the same design as Shadow Weaver and has most of the articulation in Emiliano's drawing) and I found a Shadow Weaver made OUT of Madame Web!

Shadow Weaver would look something like this (she has all the lower articulation on Emil's drawing):

Too much definition in the chest for that to be drapy cloth, but like the concept.
    Horde Lord

Here is a custom I made based off Emiliano's design. She has a fabric cape all her upper body DCUC articulation works,(besides her neck), but her skirt is a one piece. I think Emiliano's design is right on the money!

And Finally Shadow Weaver keeping Skeletor & the boys in line untill MOTUC Evil-Lyn comes along next month!

Last edited by Angel-T; March 21, 2010 at 03:05pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    I think there's no point in knee articulation if she has no crotch articulation
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

As with Queen Marelana, I am happy for them to have a solid piece of soft plastic as the skirt.

I have no need for either woman to sit down or do cartwheels, so limited leg movement doesn't bother me.

I don't really like the leg articulation Emiliano has drawn, though I guess it is a good idea if the figure does not feature actual legs.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I never liked Queen Marlena as a character but for those of us who want her badly, how boring would it ibe if she couldn't sit on a throne next to Randor?

A toy line should be unified and homogenous. I don't like the fact that the female figures do not have the same range of articulation as the males. There is no excuse for that except cost saving and laziness. I want She-ra to be able to sit on a saddle, just as I want Shadow Weaver to not be one solid chunk of plastic.

And again, I don't understand how the limitation of the female figure doesn't ignite more discussion / outrage around here, especially given how much discussion minor problems such as unflocked / flocked ears sparkled.

I think it's been the most blatant flaw of the MOTUC line that I love. It's time they come up with a second buck for the girls, before they start re-releasing Teela so that she can be fixed. Same for Adora.

As for Shadow Weaver, soft plastic over articulated limb would not work. It would be to thick to allow her to strike a pause i.e. the thickness of the plastic would 'push back' the legs into their original position. Besides, Mattel has opted not to use vinyl plastic for the girls' dresses and that's a problem too as more rigid plastic can be stretched and damaged.

One sad example: Adora sat on Battle cat's saddle one night. The following day, as I returned her to a standing pause I noticed the red plastic of the skirt part was stretched on the side, because of the hips. It never returned to the original shape. This would make Shadow Weaver useless.

If Mattel went with Emilliano's idea for articulation (which is the same one that Toybiz came up with for Madam Webb) yes, it would require a unique sculpt but it could be reused for any woman wearing a long dress: Queen Marlena etc.

PS. For those of you who might wanna buy a Madam Webb for a custom, don't: I own one and she is very very tiny, under 5 inches, smaller than most marvel legends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.