Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider 200x He-Man a variant, like BA, TP, etc?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

Do you consider 200x He-Man a variant, like BA, TP, etc?

In a recent thread, Toyguru had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    200X He-Man is not a "variant" of He-Man the way Battle Armor or Thunder Punch are. He is an "interpretation" of the vintage toy just as MOTUC He-Man is a interpretation of the same vintage toy but in a different style.
    So out of curiosity, I thought I'd make a new mock-up for a Classics-ized 200x He-Man to see what people think.
    And to make sure this passes the "sniff test" I used all existing parts, with two exceptions:

A new face, where all I did was digitally close his mouth
    A new harness, which is a combination of the He-Man and King Grayskull harness designs

So we know all of this stuff is fair game and doesn't fall under the dreaded "anime hyper detail" category.

So what do you guys think? Is THIS:

any LESS worthy of being a variant than THIS?

(Custom TP He-Man created by fellow .orger mekaneckpain!!)

Is my proposed version really an "interpretation"? I certainly don't think so.
    Not any moreso than the TRU He-Man is, which is based on the comic "interpretation".

Besides, as a little added bonus, this more neutral expression He-Man head could be displayed on other He-Man figures, Prince Adam, and so on!

I'll see your two birds, and I'll raise you a stone!

I consider 200X He-man to be a hunchback figure that I just want to forget was ever made.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

There's a very long list of figures I would like to see before either of these were ever released, but you make a convincing argument for 200x-man being a variant.
    A boy and his cat versus the world...
    http://www.jaybellbooks.com/the-cat-in-the-cradle/

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I consider 200X He-man to be a hunchback figure that I just want to forget was ever made.
    Then forget the figure. Take a look at the 200X Staction or deluxe statue. Now THAT'S an awesome 200X He-Man.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Yes I consider 200X He-Man to be a varient every bit as worthy of a figure as Thunder Punch He-Man.

I'd love to have a He-Man figure that looked like this:

Especially if it had a neutral expression like the mockup in the first post
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

200X He-Man IS a variant. If 200X He-Man wasn't a variant thenby applying that rule the DCUC line would be without a boatload of Batman figures. (Mud, different suit colors/insignias, etc.)
    I'd personally rather have a slightly different hairstyle (closer to the 200X Cmics, Cartoon, not the toy) but that mock up works. (The boots should be darker and the straps lighter. If we go by the Toy's look.)
    The one posted by Battle Brak works too!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it is worthy of being a bonus figure. I think it would be a good opportunity to give us a He-Man with a different head/hairsculpt.

I really don't consider the 2002 incarnation a variant of He-Man at all, and I was a big fan of his "new look" when the 2002 series debuted. I'm of the mind "that was then, this is now... and now is pretty much it's own thing based off of the classic toyline moreso than the 2002 line". I wouldn't mind it if the 2002 harness with leather straps finds it's way into a weapons pack, but do I feel it warrants an entire figure being released? Not at all. I kind of get what ToyGuru is saying about the whole thing but wow- a lot of people are still arguing back and forth about it and not "letting go".
    I don't need another He-Man released but with a pouch, different guantlets, the leather harness with the "H" symbol (or would it be the cross symbol? A whole 'nother can of worms... LOL!), the electronic power sword, uber-sized axe, headsculpt with "anime" hair, etc etc... I'm good with the ACTUAL variants... Thunder Punch, Snake Armor, Ice Armor, Laser Light... getting a release down the line.
    Besides, presumably when King Grayskull gets a rerelease his armor is supposed to be removable. I imagine it will turn up in a weapons pack too with minor paint deco changes, and we already have 2 electronic power swords... so tada... put that on a naked He-Man and you've got your 2002 "variant" without having to drop $20 and have the figure take up a slot on the release schedule.
    Last edited by zodak74; March 29, 2010 at 06:52pm.

I totally consider it a variant, and a much more desirable variant than all that thunder-punch/flying fists silliness.

No, I will never consider 2K2 He-Man to be a variant, it was just regular He-Man but designed for a specific market.

It's like trying to compare a Bruce Timm Batman with the Brave and the Bold Batman, they're simply a different style for the standard Batman.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    No, I will never consider 2K2 He-Man to be a variant, it was just regular He-Man but designed for a specific market.

It's like trying to compare a Bruce Timm Batman with the Brave and the Bold Batman, they're simply a different style for the standard Batman.
    THAT'S pretty much exactly how I feel!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Toyguru
    200X He-Man is not a "variant" of He-Man the way Battle Armor or Thunder Punch are. He is an "interpretation" of the vintage toy just as MOTUC He-Man is a interpretation of the same vintage toy but in a different style.

I agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Me too, really. I would love to see Thunder punch, Flying Fists, Snake Armor, Jungle Atack (yes, Jungle Attack), Ice Armor, Laser Light, New Adventures, and even "Undercover/Preternia He-Man" or concept ideas such as Horde Armor He-Man before I would care to see a true 200X He-Man.

Given, those are some great customs and I believe that there is room in the line for Classic-ized versions of some of the strictly 200X weapons (or versions of weapons, sticking to TG's oft-repeated) (and I'll add sensible) rhetoric, such as He-Man's techno battle axe and shield and Keldor's swords (which, now that we know they are not the Sword of He, has even this fan baffled.).
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Personally, I think Toyguru has hit on an accurate way to consider the 200x He-Man look: as an 'interpretation' rather than a 'variant'.

I could see Mattel eventually releasing a re-paint He-Man at some stage wearing a 200x asterix-emblem harness. In the new canon the * harness could be called the early He-Man's force field harness, or super-strength harness or some other super-power harness, provided to Adam by the Goddess, in homage to the original mini-comics.

However, if the only real difference is a re-tooled harness and slight change to paint apps, are we better off just to receive the * harness as a pack-in with another figure or weapons pak v.2?

Totally understand what Toyguru is talking about re: loincloth pouch, arm-bucklers, hair, etc.

The 200x-MOTUC conversion issue that I am most upset about is not He-Man but the decision not to pack Keldor with his iconic double blades. That Toyguru decision makes absolutely no sense to me.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    For those of you disagreeing with my premise, then how are we to define what makes a variant?

I've always considered it to be a figure of a character who already exists, but in a different costume/outfit from the previous version.

To me, the 200x mock-up I've provided certainly satisfies that definition.

If it has to require _____ amount of new tooling to qualify, then how can someone like Batman get a variant from just a repaint:

And again, why is "Comic He-Man" totally OK, and NOT an interpretation, but "200x He-Man" is the polar opposite?

This isn't a thread about which versions of He-Man's costumes people like or don't like. There are plenty of people who don't want to buy Smash Blade or Flying Fists He-Man, but they would never claim they are not He-Man variants.

This is about what we consider a variant, and how these terms and definitions seemed to be used in a rather nebulous context.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Do you consider 200x He-Man a variant, like BA, TP, etc?
    Hmmmmmm...nope.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Good point, so I will clarify my response with, "200X He-man, as seen above, is not a version/variant/interpretation/whathaveyou that I am interested in in the near future, although I would not mind seeing it show up in the waning days of the line."
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I think as far as THIS line is concerned, 200x is a variant. And from that angle, as much as I prefer 200x over vintage, I am largely of the opinion that such a variant really doesn't offer THAT much to a majority of collectors.

Really, a 200x He-Man would be largely a repaint of the existing figure with a small change to the harness with a few extra paint apps. Of all the other potential variants, they at least offer SOMETHING either nostalgia, new accessories, or a new visual style.
    200x He-Man is Vintage He-Man with more brown and a different Power Sword, at its core.

Maybe later on in the line when they start making more 200x-centric figures, I could see him as a viable addition, but not at the current time.

For me is a bonus figure such ad Zodak! The MOTUC principal line for me must have the classic and vintage design.

PS i love the Thunder punch in the pics!

And again, why is "Comic He-Man" totally OK, and NOT an interpretation, but "200x He-Man" is the polar opposite?
    Any version of He-Man where something differs is a variant of the original He-Man. An interpretation is, by it's very nature, a variant.

Everytime this gets brought up, the explanation never covers everything. Radically different things are allowed in some cases but not others. Items that were reimagined versions aren't allowed, but some are. Different interpretations of He-Man are out, but we already have one.

It's depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    Really, a 200x He-Man would be largely a repaint of the existing figure with a small change to the harness with a few extra paint apps. Of all the other potential variants, they at least offer SOMETHING either nostalgia, new accessories, or a new visual style.
    200x He-Man is Vintage He-Man with more brown and a different Power Sword, at its core.
    I just bought a He-Man with a different colored belt, wristbands, and boots and he didn't even have a power sword.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; March 29, 2010 at 07:48pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Heroic Warrior
    This isn't a thread about which versions of He-Man's costumes people like or don't like. There are plenty of people who don't want to buy Smash Blade or Flying Fists He-Man, but they would never claim they are not He-Man variants.

This is about what we consider a variant, and how these terms and definitions seemed to be used in a rather nebulous context.
    I also think one must also take into consideration how the lines are marketed when you the entire variant/repaint angle is viewed.

For the most part, variants, costume changes, and slight repaints are usually produced due to perceived needs at retail (ie, DCUC wave X needs a new Batman figure (even if the only difference is a new coat of paint) in order to get retailers to buy, for example).

Masters of the Universe Classics is NOT sold at retail. Realistically, Mattel has ZERO need to make any other versions of He-Man aside from the "original" version, especially given their willingness to got back and produce more.

From there, what do we really want from repeats of "the big two"? Do we want a repaint with minor tool tweaks (which is what 200x He-Man would invariably end up being) or do we ask for variants which will give us some bang for our buck (like Battle Armor He-Man or Keldor)?
    I'm not against a 200x He-Man in principle, I just think there are more exciting versions to touch on before that one.

Well, I think it all depends on what the end goal is.

If you're trying to capture every detail and harsh angle of the 2002 He-Man figure but in a "chunky" MOTUC build, then no, the figure no longer fits the definition of a variant. It would be a new figure with all new parts. However, that would never happen in MOTUC anyway, so I'm not really understanding why Toyguru is referencing the 2002 toy line in this context. A 2002 figure [of an existing character] translated into MOTUC would be a variant because the character would use the standard body, head etc. of the original with just a few new added parts. They'll always be bonuses, right?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    THAT'S pretty much exactly how I feel!
    Sign me up with this group as well.

The 2002 He-Man figure is your basic He-Man figure but done in that era's style just the way Toyguru tried to explain it countless times. I understood it and I wish others could as well.

Thunder Punch He-Man is a He-Man variant just like Jungle Attack He-Man is a He-Man variant. The basic 2002 He-Man figure is as original as He-Man was going to be in that era/style for that line. All they did was make his body and hair more rigid, put a pouch on his drawers, and turn the basic power sword into a crazy more electronic/cyberistic sword. I honestly didn't care for it at all, thankfully they released an original cross variant for purists like me to enjoy more than that ugly H symbol.

Honestly, I would rather have EVERY He-Man variant in the book instead of "2002 He-Man" and yes, that includes Smash Blade He-Man. If they really want to release such a figure, why not do it in the same manner as Wun-dar? I bet that would cause more of an uproar than Toyguru dismissing 2002 He-Man as not a real He-Man variant. How many subscribers would feel ripped off if they got "2002 He-man" with a couple minor changes as their subscription bonus? If anything, do it as a quarterly bonus figure so everyone has the option of buying it. What would they even put on the box for this "variant"? 2002 He-Man? Makes no sense to me.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

200X He-man would not be a variation in the same sense as TP or BA He-man, however he would be a variant in the same sense as all those different batman repaints.
    200x He-man is an interpretation in the same sense as the TRU 2-pack is a comic interpretation, so if they can make that one they should really be able to to do a 200X one.

I think i just paraphrased most of this thread :S

A 200x He-Man is no different than 200x Evil Lyn. There is enough difference in the 200x He-Man to the original in the fact that Mattel would refuse to make a new mold......like the pouch on the furry shorts.

Anytime there is a character with a figure that is different than the original.....it is a variant...plain and simple. Mattel should be very knowledgable with the definition.

I hate variants!! So, no I wouldn't want to buy a 200x He-Man even though I enjoyed that era. And seeing the Thunder Punch He-Man mock-up in this thread fuels my anger about the 2011 all-in subscription! I don't want any of those boring variants......because the bonus figures will no longer be bonuses. People will be stuck buying variants in order to guarantee the figures that they do want.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210