Thread: Is starting a new website with forums hard to create and manage?

Is starting a new website with forums hard to create and manage?

A friend and I were talking today and we were talking about it. We'd like to maybe start our own website. With a variety of outlets. But both of us never did it before. Is it expensive to build. Are the forums hard to create and manage. We're at the absolute very early stages. In fact we talked about it just a few hours ago for only a few minutes but I'd like to do it. Can you generate money doing it as well. Is it easy to get stores and comic book companies to get an ad on it. My boy told me its like only a few bucks a month for a website, but now I'm not sure if that's with forums. What's a good cheap or even free forum that is easy to use and dosent look ghetto.

Thanks guys for any info....

I used to have just a website with a message board and badly written HTML. Website updating and maintenance is easy. As far as making it look GOOD, Expect to spend a good $1,000 minimum. Damn nerds think coding is worth it's price in latinum. Probably takes them a lunch break to do ;o)
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

The forums part will cost the most money and be the hardest to manage. The website is easy though, they pretty much have templates and with things like wordpress its easy enough to customize to where you hardly need any experience programming or writing code.

Getting companies to advertise all depends on your connections, you won't make a ton of money unless you have lots of traffic to earn you revenue on referrals. Depending on your content and the amount of people you have visiting your site you could probably broker something with them (free toys, paid % of the visits to their site, etc)

As far as the costs go, that all depends on what you want to do. Its about $50 a year to run my toylines website but I do all the coding and maintenance so that is just the cost of the space and ownership of the domain name. You can often find coupons though to bring that cost down. I use Namecheap for all my stuff and they have been great.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I have someone to build it. Hes the one who wants the website to make money.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm gonna try out the phpBB.com forums. Hey there free.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app