Thread: Question for those who buy digital comics...

Question for those who buy digital comics...

Hey guys

So I have a question for those who buy digital comics off sites like Comixology etc.
    What would you expect to pay for a 48 page full colour comic?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

$3.99?

That being said, I'd also be interested in knowing how you GET a comic to be distributed digitally...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I'd say $3.99 is the upper limit. For a new comic property, I'd say $2.99 might have the benefit of getting more people to take the plunge, but it may not be enough to really cover the time and money put in.

It might be better to break a comic that long up in two issues and make the issue more affordable to encourage readers to take the plunge. 2 issues at $1.99 each versus one at $3.99.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    $3.99?

That being said, I'd also be interested in knowing how you GET a comic to be distributed digitally...
    Comixology have a 50/50 system now where you can get indie comics published on there. You just submit it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'd say $3.99 is the upper limit. For a new comic property, I'd say $2.99 might have the benefit of getting more people to take the plunge, but it may not be enough to really cover the time and money put in.

It might be better to break a comic that long up in two issues and make the issue more affordable to encourage readers to take the plunge. 2 issues at $1.99 each versus one at $3.99.

Jon

Comixology have a 50/50 system now where you can get indie comics published on there. You just submit it.
    Thanks for that. I want to do a kick starter reward where the comic goes up for free for backers. at least now I know where I can put it up online later..
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Thanks guys

I was just wondering cos my studio has just got our first book put up on Comixology at $3.99 and I wasn't sure if the price was reasonable or not.

http://www.comixology.com/The-Lil-Fi...al-comic/46708
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

essentially it's a double sized issue so 3.99 isn't bad, that's the price of a normal sized marvel comic, X-men gold which is 42 pages long is 5.99 to put it in comparison. So a fair price for something that sized.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Yeah, I definitely think it's a fair price for the content. You're basically getting a two for one, there. I just also know sometimes it's harder to get more casual sampling depending on how high the price goes. Part of the problem with digital is that people might not realize that it's so large just by looking at it. You might consider starting the description out with something like "A 45-page epic!" or something like that.

Yeah when I saw X-men gold was 5.99 I started looking into how many pages it was, because I have seen similar issues in store from Marvel around that price that only had a few extra pages. But yes make sure the description gives page count even if you do the 40+ pages thing or almost 50 pages or whatever.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Part of the problem with digital is that people might not realize that it's so large just by looking at it. You might consider starting the description out with something like "A 45-page epic!" or something like that.
    This.
    I think putting the page-amount clearly out there next to info of the price, might help. Not sure what would be best, outside of actually
    having a giant blurb on the cover stating something like "Mega-Issue! 48PAGES! NO ADS!"