Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

Hybrid View

Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

Seems like its deserving of its own thread instead of piggybacking on existing ones. I'm going to stay spoiler free since it doesn't air in the US for a week or two.

That was AWESOME. I loved everything about it (maybe not Mickey 2.0...). I was quite impressed with Matt Smith -- the way the Tennantisms wore off as the episode went on especially.

I love "nu-Who", but I was really let down by the season of "Specials", and I think the RTD/Tennant version was rapidly running out of steam. I really think Moffat has this thing on the right track.

I don't want to wait another week for the next episode.

Ya I quickly warmed to this new Doctor, especially since he has that same fast talking, all over the place, never stopping for a breath, franticness about him that Tennant had and can very happily live with him as the new Doctor.

The only thing I didn't like was the new version of the theme tune as they tried to erm...jazz? it up to much and it was very hard to hear the unique melody of the DW theme tune (the bit everyone hums and la's to) over the trancey techno drummy beat background noise. Sorry if I am not describing it very well. Basically if you heard it on the radio and was not told what it was...you would have to listen very carefully to know it was the DW theme

Tho DT is still the best Doctor in my book
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 4, 2010 at 12:11am.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Being somewhat Tennant-like is the only reason I think the 11th doctor will end up okay. If he becomes somebody else entirely as the story goes on, then he may become less likeable. Even Tennant kept a good bit of Eccleston in him all the way to the end.
    I like pie.

I liked it, nice way to establish the new who.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Chris here...

Speaking as somebody who is still in mourning for David Tennant's amazing Tenth Doctor (the first Doctor I ever truly followed), I have to say I loved last night's episode!

I don't want to go into too much detail for the same reason as you, BCI Guy, but I would say that one of the things I loved most about it is that Steven Moffatt really "gets" the concept of a time travel story - we saw it with "The Girl in the Fireplace" and with "Blink", which were both two of my favourite episodes, and I think we saw it in spades in last night's episode as well!

And yes, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by Matt Smith! He has a real gravitas about him considering he's a young actor, and managed to retain a lot of what made the Tenth Doctor a distinctive character and yet still bring some of his own unique portrayal to the party...

However, I agree with Wolfsfang about the new theme music - whilst I liked the new title animation, I hated the new theme music, which I agree had very little of the distinctive Doctor Who vibe about it. For me one of the most important aspects of the Doctor Who music is the opening few bars before the main music kicks in (what I can only describe in typed form as the "BRUM-de-bum, BRUM-de-brum, BRUM-de-brum, brum, brum, BRUM-de-brum" segment! ), and for me that element was missing. So yeah, the music was probably the biggest let-down for me.

All in all this first episode of the new series has definitely managed to fire up my imagination for more, and I can't wait for next Saturday's episode! I still wish it was David Tennant, though...

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I thought yesterday's episode was quite good. I like the new Doctor, although I would prefer him to eventually become a different kind of Doctor to Tennant. I also liked the aliens in tonight’s episode. Loved the floating eye balls. I thought that, for a TV show, the CGI worked quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post

However, I agree with Wolfsfang about the new theme music - whilst I liked the new title animation, I hated the new theme music, which I agree had very little of the distinctive Doctor Who vibe about it. For me one of the most important aspects of the Doctor Who music is the opening few bars before the main music kicks in (what I can only describe in typed form as the "BRUM-de-bum, BRUM-de-brum, BRUM-de-brum, brum, brum, BRUM-de-brum" segment! ), and for me that element was missing. So yeah, the music was probably the biggest let-down for me.
    I mean you can hear it but it just sounds not quite right, something off about it

New

compared with

now to a lot of ppl it may sound just the same and won't understand what the complaints are about but to me the differences are glaring (and not good)

Official Doctor Who Season 7 talkback thread

Ok just watched the first ep of the new season "Asylum of the Daleks" and it is easily the second best Dalek episode I have ever seen after the season 1 ep entitled "Dalek" with the twist with the guest character being well written and very sad (you'll know what I mean if / when you see the ep).

It is episodes like this which makes me remember why I love Doctor Who and why the Daleks are one of my utmost fave alien races EVER

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Yes it was an amazing episode! I loved the glimpse of the planet we saw in the beginning, very cool!

Great episode and looks to be a great series. And yes the twist with that guest character was so sad!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I just watched it again and even knowing the twist it is still really really sad

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Yea I'm going to watch it again. Something about the guest character:

I'm also curious about the guest star character since the actress is slated to join later in the season as the new companion. I have been pretty much avoiding news and stuff on this new season so I wonder if she will play a different character or how it will work. Still, just from this episode she is sold to me as a good fit for a companion!

And yea Wolf, the Daleks are AWESOME.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Perhaps the doctor will go back until before she ends up on the Asylum and meet a younger version of her

Or she could play a different character such as her twin sister or cousin or something

I watched it last night. It was my first ever Dr. Who episode. For a lot of the episode I found myself wondering what all the hype is about, but by the end I was pretty impressed. I'll keep watching long enough to give it a fair chance to sink its hooks in.

Was the planet at the beginning Skaro?

On the BBC Doctor Who site you can download episode wallpapers for the new series. In one of the the Doctor is riding a triceratops on a spaceship. I couldn't help but picture Bionatops a little bit.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Season premiere was better than every episode from last season IMO.

I'm optimistic but dreading the return of River. It's time for Amy and Rory to go too.

The new girl in the Uhura dress has promise considering her background. The Doctor hates 1 thing in the universe and hopefully she will force him to reconcile that hatred.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

wait. how can oswyn come back? neither her or the doctor recognized each other so we know they didn't meet in one another's past / future (like with river).

so, unless she didn't really die when the entire planet blew up, i'm not sure how she can come back and the show still make sense.

two things
    1) the transformation to Dalek removes their ability to love. Not just romantic love but the capability to love in all context. She also made the Daleks forget who the Doctor is/was.
    2)Oswin Oswald is the character here we met, the next companion's name is Clara (Oswin).

Karen Gillan, Freema Agyemen, and going back even further Lalla Ward all played characters in Doctor Who before becoming a companion. Granted in each case they were chosen after the initial portrayal of another character.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I hope Jenna-Loise Coleman is returning as Oswin, honestly. It'd make the reason for the Doctor to take her on as his next companion logical. Where did they name Coleman's next appearance as a character named Clara? I keep looking for it online and never find anything. It'd be lame if Coleman returns as Oswin's twin sister.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

As best I can tell nothing was officially stated it was more people reporting they heard her character referred to by the name Clara during filming.

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv...-revealed.html

Speculation ranges from Clara Oswin Oswald (there are some interesting connections to Lee Harvey Oswald I read).

A reincarnation of some sort, Oswin could be a nickname of some sort, could be some memory issue, two different characters, a name they were using for filming that day for some reason either related to the episode or to keep her real name secret.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    two things
    1) the transformation to Dalek removes their ability to love. Not just romantic love but the capability to love in all context. She also made the Daleks forget who the Doctor is/was.
    2)Oswin Oswald is the character here we met, the next companion's name is Clara (Oswin).

Karen Gillan, Freema Agyemen, and going back even further Lalla Ward all played characters in Doctor Who before becoming a companion. Granted in each case they were chosen after the initial portrayal of another character.
    It's not just companions. Colin Baker played a different character name Commander Maxil who was from Gallifrey but not a Time Lord in the Arc of Infinity story before becoming the very next Doctor

Apparently Rory is finally getting an action figure

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...58&mode=retail

Dr. Who -New Doctor Announced

So the Twelfth regeneration of the Doctor will be "The Thick Of It" star

Peter Capaldi

Who also played the father of the family that the Doctor saved in the episode "Fires of Pompeii"

He wouldn't be my first choice to play the Doctor, in fact he wouldn't even appear anyway on my list , but I shall wait and see before I declare that he has "killed the line"

Hmm both he and Karen Gillan were in that episode, wonder if the next version of the Master will have had a part in that episode.

I'm very happy. He's a fantastic actor and a massive Who fan going way back.

I'm also happy to see someone not in the mold of Tennant or Smith.