Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

Seems like its deserving of its own thread instead of piggybacking on existing ones. I'm going to stay spoiler free since it doesn't air in the US for a week or two.

That was AWESOME. I loved everything about it (maybe not Mickey 2.0...). I was quite impressed with Matt Smith -- the way the Tennantisms wore off as the episode went on especially.

I love "nu-Who", but I was really let down by the season of "Specials", and I think the RTD/Tennant version was rapidly running out of steam. I really think Moffat has this thing on the right track.

I don't want to wait another week for the next episode.

Ya I quickly warmed to this new Doctor, especially since he has that same fast talking, all over the place, never stopping for a breath, franticness about him that Tennant had and can very happily live with him as the new Doctor.

The only thing I didn't like was the new version of the theme tune as they tried to erm...jazz? it up to much and it was very hard to hear the unique melody of the DW theme tune (the bit everyone hums and la's to) over the trancey techno drummy beat background noise. Sorry if I am not describing it very well. Basically if you heard it on the radio and was not told what it was...you would have to listen very carefully to know it was the DW theme

Tho DT is still the best Doctor in my book
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 4, 2010 at 12:11am.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Being somewhat Tennant-like is the only reason I think the 11th doctor will end up okay. If he becomes somebody else entirely as the story goes on, then he may become less likeable. Even Tennant kept a good bit of Eccleston in him all the way to the end.
    I like pie.

I liked it, nice way to establish the new who.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Chris here...

Speaking as somebody who is still in mourning for David Tennant's amazing Tenth Doctor (the first Doctor I ever truly followed), I have to say I loved last night's episode!

I don't want to go into too much detail for the same reason as you, BCI Guy, but I would say that one of the things I loved most about it is that Steven Moffatt really "gets" the concept of a time travel story - we saw it with "The Girl in the Fireplace" and with "Blink", which were both two of my favourite episodes, and I think we saw it in spades in last night's episode as well!

And yes, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by Matt Smith! He has a real gravitas about him considering he's a young actor, and managed to retain a lot of what made the Tenth Doctor a distinctive character and yet still bring some of his own unique portrayal to the party...

However, I agree with Wolfsfang about the new theme music - whilst I liked the new title animation, I hated the new theme music, which I agree had very little of the distinctive Doctor Who vibe about it. For me one of the most important aspects of the Doctor Who music is the opening few bars before the main music kicks in (what I can only describe in typed form as the "BRUM-de-bum, BRUM-de-brum, BRUM-de-brum, brum, brum, BRUM-de-brum" segment! ), and for me that element was missing. So yeah, the music was probably the biggest let-down for me.

All in all this first episode of the new series has definitely managed to fire up my imagination for more, and I can't wait for next Saturday's episode! I still wish it was David Tennant, though...

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I thought yesterday's episode was quite good. I like the new Doctor, although I would prefer him to eventually become a different kind of Doctor to Tennant. I also liked the aliens in tonight’s episode. Loved the floating eye balls. I thought that, for a TV show, the CGI worked quite well.

However they are filming it now, hd or whatever looked really nice and crisp. All the special effects came off looking not half bad.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post

However, I agree with Wolfsfang about the new theme music - whilst I liked the new title animation, I hated the new theme music, which I agree had very little of the distinctive Doctor Who vibe about it. For me one of the most important aspects of the Doctor Who music is the opening few bars before the main music kicks in (what I can only describe in typed form as the "BRUM-de-bum, BRUM-de-brum, BRUM-de-brum, brum, brum, BRUM-de-brum" segment! ), and for me that element was missing. So yeah, the music was probably the biggest let-down for me.
    I mean you can hear it but it just sounds not quite right, something off about it

New

compared with

now to a lot of ppl it may sound just the same and won't understand what the complaints are about but to me the differences are glaring (and not good)

I watched this tonight, and as others, will not spoil it for international fans, but I loved it, and Karen Gillian is hot!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I figured I'd ask this here instead of starting a new thread:
    What was the first tv episode/movie whatever of Dr Who? I want to put it in my netflix queue to watch the very first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post
    What was the first tv episode/movie whatever of Dr Who? I want to put it in my netflix queue to watch the very first thing.
    "An Unearthly Child" from 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post
    2005 or the original? I don't think you can find the original. 2005 I think was called Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    2005 or the original? I don't think you can find the original. 2005 I think was called Rose.
    Sure you can. Its in this set:

Wasn't sure which of the early years were still 'unavailable' due to the policy of the BBC at the time. I knew quite a few of them have been recovered from other regions stocks.

Here is the new opening for Series 5. For some reason It makesme thing that the Tardis is flying up to fight Galactus from the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie.

"I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Sure you can. Its in this set:

thanks, found it on netflix.

I'm not quite sold on the new Doctor yet. My concerns about a young Doctor (or at least, a young looking doctor) have certainly been alleviated, and I think Matt Smith will win me over in another episode or two. Smith's my third Doctor. I went into Eccleston with no preconceived notions whatsoever and I had fun, Tennant immediately won me over (with "This hand's a fightin' hand!" and "Doesn't she look tired?"). Smith hasn't yet, but he will.

However, Karen Gillan as Amy Pond has completely won me over. One episode in, and she's already got more depth and substance than Rose, Martha, or Donna. (I love Rose, Martha, and Donna, but when you really dig deep, they're pretty under-developed as characters...there's very little sense of backstory or depth there).

Incidentally, I don't like the modified theme music that much, either. I think the visuals of the new intro are pretty good, and the new theme is definitely spookier, but it's not as catchy. It's more distant, harder for the ear to latch onto, a little less recognizable. I liked the earlier arrangements. But maybe I'll warm up to it.

I trust Moffat. He's written my favorite episodes of the series, and he did a good job with the transition episode (which is a pretty difficult thing to pull off). Looking forward to the season!

What basically sold me was the silliness he was able to portray throughout, the what does he or does he not know then when he said 'Hullo, I'm the Doctor.' He took possession of that statement with the right amount of authority yet, his dress and posture still held to the goofiness that is the Doctor.

Lycan
    Boo. Im gonna miss tomorrow's episode because me and the other half are going back to the Who exhibit in Cardiff
    Have to see it when we get back!

I was deleting stuff off the other halfs DVD recorder the other day and was shocked to find Amy Pond in the Kevin Bishop show swearing like a sailor and doing a spoof of 'I kissed a girl'
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

I'm a big fan already. I really liked Tennant but he had some annoying habits that got on my nerves from time to time. So far so good with Matt.

Two for two.

Moffat replacing Davies is the absolute best thing that could have happened.

Another Moffat-written episode and another monster that'll scare kids to death. Fantastic!

another great episode, showing that my fears that the new Doctor would not be as good as the last was unfounded

I really loved Beast Below! The design, the story... and Liz Ten!

It's FANTASTIC! BRILLIANT! JERONIMO!!!
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698