Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

I understand it's partially a matter of perspective. Many Americans have a general problem with most American TV and movies, 99% of it all takes place in New York or in California (Specifically LA). It quite frequently comes off has how great either one of those places is, and when other locations are shown it's often about how those places are New York or California. This however can be difficult to see if you don't live in the States.

On special effects, I think there is something to be said about different people focus on different things when looking at them. To some extent a beauty is in the eye of the beholder type thing, where one person sees flaws tends to be what they focus on.

On the logo, personal opinion nothing more. And I do agree at times the music can be a bit overbearing, which is odd since it's not an American production which tend to be really bad about that.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Oh and the new logo is rubbish I think. Much preferred the previous one.
    I much prefer the new logo. Hated the last one.

Its just a fun show. It has huge plot holes if you think too hard after the fact, but it moves at such a fast pace that it doesn't really matter. It has manic energy and joy, and some bits that are really quite dark (especially because it is a kid's show).

Maybe it helps if its something that you grew up with, but it seems to be a show that you either like or you don't. I don't think a lot of people are ambivalent towards it. To me the dodgy FX are part of the charm, they don't get in the way and they really aren't what the show is about.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Maybe it helps if its something that you grew up with, but it seems to be a show that you either like or you don't. I don't think a lot of people are ambivalent towards it. To me the dodgy FX are part of the charm, they don't get in the way and they really aren't what the show is about.
    I suppose I can understand that. I can still watch 80's He-man for those same reasons.

But as someone who never liked Dr.Who growing up I will never understand.
    I watched Star Trek and Crabbe Flash Gordon.

I want to like and get on board with the hype, but the cheap effects and everything else do take me out of the show all to often.

Not every American show has all American accents, this show does nothig but British and it seems every second episode is based in England in some form.
    To me Sci-fi demands more than Knebworth or Wimbledon common.

Tis a really cool idea, timelords and all.
    But ambition is far out matching the skills in this case I think.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Please don't say the special effects are good when I clearly see they are not.
    It's not about the special effects tho, it is about the characters and the stories which imo are some of the best seen on tv in the last 10 years.

Fine if you don't like it don't watch it. Just because you live in the UK doesn't mean you have to, I have managed to avoid c**p like pop idol and big brother for as long as they have been on and they are MUCH harder to avoid than Doctor Who.

And so what if the Britishness of it shines through in every episode...it's a british show. Do you watch American shows like the 4400, Eureka or Lost and think..."ooh this is not good as it is too american?" But no matter what you think about it, DW is the longest running sci-fi show of all time which is as popular today as it ever was and if that doesn't show just how great it is then I don't know what will.

Still I respect your right to dislike it as obviously it won't please everyone but why is it that whenever a DW thread appears you seem to feel this urge to make a post telling us fans how much you hate it? I mean you never saw me in any Conan threads saying how I think the two Arnie Conan movies are 2 of the biggest loads of tripe that have ever been filmed with abysmal special effects, awful stories and some of the worst acting I have seen this side of a soap opera

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Because I am honesly baffled by it dude.
    My favourite BBC radio DJ's rave about it and I'm left scratching my head wonder if I was watch the same show.
    www.eamonart.com

I want to like and get on board with the hype, but the cheap effects and everything else do take me out of the show all to often.
    Why do you want to like it?

I mean, its obvious you don't, and I don't think anyone can will themselves to suddenly like something. While you think it has a strong core concept, there isn't much about the execution you like, and that isn't going to change. Its what Dr. Who is.

I think it just isn't for you.

Because I am honesly baffled by it dude.
    My favourite BBC radio DJ's rave about it and I'm left scratching my head wonder if I was watch the same show.
    well as far as reasons go that is...kinda weird

lots of djs and tv personalities waffle and rant on about the shows I mentioned and it has never once made me want to try and like them.

as BCI Guy says, it is obviously not a show for you so when it is on...watch the other side

Well when you have guys like Richard Bacon, Charlie Brooker and Jonathan Ross (all of whom I share many opinions with and respect) raving about Dr.Who, it begs to ask the question as to what I'm not seeing.
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    River Song is supposed to appear in five episodes of this series. Not only do the trailers for the series confirm it but so does the news gathered from the BBC.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Since River Song is a Moffat creation, it really only makes sense that she would come back into the picture and would be a shame otherwise. I loved her character!!!! I can't wait to find out how she's connected to the Doctor... and just exactly what she knows about him. I dunno if anybody else caught it, but Prof. Song never mentions that she was the Doctor's "companion".

I am super-psyched for Saturday!!!! Thanks for letting me know it's totally worth it!!!!
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

Well, as far as I am aware the new writer is a huge MOTU fan so that's good.
    www.eamonart.com

To me it looks cheap. Primevil (also UK production) doesn't look cheap.
    !!! You mentioned Primevil! Your in the UK, what's the latest word on it's return? My mother loved that show and was ****** off royally when they canceled it. Was happy to hear it was coming back.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

as far as anyone knows they still have the next season aimed at a Januray 2011 release date

s4 will have 7 parts and s5 will have six. What is really strange is that s4 will be on ITV1 then move onto Watch (a digital uk channel) and s5 will do the exact opposite, starting on Watch and moving to ITV1 later.

Oh and shall go on record and say...I FREAKING LOVE PRIMEVAL

Well, as far as I am aware the new writer is a huge MOTU fan so that's good.
    The Doctor did refer to the Master as "Skeletor" in the ep, "the End of Time". Not sure if Moffat wrote that or Davies did. Either way it was a nice little tip of the hat to MOTU.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

End of time was written by Davies. Moffat did have some input in teh final scenes but he went uncredited

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    End of time was written by Davies. Moffat did have some input in teh final scenes but he went uncredited
    wolfsfang, you ARE 'teh' man!!!!

I believe Moffat wrote the entire Matt Smith segment at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I believe Moffat wrote the entire Matt Smith segment at the end.
    Yep this is my feeling as well, after all Matt is his version of the Doctor so who better to write his brief intro?

Well when you have guys like Richard Bacon, Charlie Brooker and Jonathan Ross (all of whom I share many opinions with and respect) raving about Dr.Who, it begs to ask the question as to what I'm not seeing.
    I guess at the end of the day you just have to accept the fact that you don't get it. Those of us who do will just look at you in pity and shame.

Oh, and the special effects are actually quite good for what they are. So there! :P

I am really excited for todays...my fave DW villains are in it.

Saying no more than that so as not to spoil it for people who don't know what is coming up

This new series definitley feels a bit different story wise.
    They seem to be a bit more grounded or less over reaching or something.

And this new Doctor seems to act more naturally quirky that the more forced quirk of Tennant, which I found quite annoying.
    Effects seem to work better this epp for whatever reason. Losey sound effects though. Those lasers felt very Commodare 64.
    Liking the steam punk influence too on the Tardis.
    Steam punk is getting very popular right now. (I'm doing 4 major steam punks books for Scholastics US and UK)

Time will tell but I seem to be more interested this series. Matey does make things more interesting and more fun for me.

I take it back about the logo too. I had just seen the box graphic icon and not the type face. Like the new typeface. Maybe the box will grow on me.

It's hard to avoid Dr.Who when you watch as much BBC as I do.
    Man, they even made a feature of the Dalecks on the news. That's not news!!
    Very self surving there BBC!
    www.eamonart.com

while Tennant will always be my fave Doctor ever I have to admit that there is one quirk of his that I am glad did not make it to the Smith one

his incessant need to say "I'm sorry" to everyone he meets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon
    It's hard to avoid Dr.Who when you watch as much BBC as I do
    Ah you see there is your problem, lol. At the moment the only thing I watch on terrestrial TV (which any brit will know is the name for BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5) is Doctor Who (and Primeval on 3 whenever a new season of that is on), but apart from those 2 shows those channels don't even get turned on in my house so that may be why I am so better at avoiding things.

It's starting to look like one of the downsides of having Moffat as a showrunner is that there's a very noticeable step down in quality between him and the regular stable of Who writers. That's going to make for a very inconsistent season.

It was still a solid episode, but definitely not as good as the first two. It also suffered from the very RTD-style "Power of Love" ending.

But it had Daleks

so I was sold

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    But it had Daleks

so I was sold
    I love Daleks, but I think it was too soon to go back to that well. I hope they were mostly set-up for something that happens (much) later in the season and that they don't have a big presence throughout.

what if they are behind the cracks? I mean the Doctor had no clue who made them and we know that the Dalek's are SUPER INTELLIGENT, the Doctor even admits it can calculate a thousand billion (1,000,000,000,000) combinations in 1 second flat. That is 1 combination every 0.000000000001 seconds

and he just let pure daleks go as well as being shocked that Amy never heard of them despite the whole Dalek's invading earth and planets in the sky thing