Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

The Abominable Dr. Phibes Vincent Price's Avatar
    Hopefully I can get past his portrayal of John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth. Hard to believe that the new Doctor is the same guy as one of the most despicable characters in a Who spinoff.
    Old people used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks &
    saying that you are the next.
    They stopped doing that when I started doing the same to them at funerals.

ahh Children of Earth

I absolutely hated that particular storyline and it completely soured me to Torchwood and especially Jack Harkness. So much so that I refused to watch Miracle Day.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    ahh Children of Earth

I absolutely hated that particular storyline and it completely soured me to Torchwood and especially Jack Harkness. So much so that I refused to watch Miracle Day.

Never was attracted to Torchwood. I thought the over saturation of it that one season of Doctor Who where it was mentioned and promoted every freaking episode got tiring.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I never got why people were so into Torchwood. I always felt they were beating us over the head with the more mature thing, and what roles the characters were for the team. That and for the most part I found it hard to like any of the characters.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    I'm somewhat excited and intrigued by the prospect of an older Doctor and how that might impact (and hopefully improve) the story-telling and particularly the relationship between the Doctor and the companion/s.

Of course, it remains to be seen how Clara was impacted by her adventures in the most recent episode. If she remembers her hundreds (or thousands) of alternate lives helping the past versions of the Doctor then I expect her to be a very different companion for the Doctor.

Once they've had a few episodes to "establish" the new Doctor, I would be interested in seeing a younger, head-strong male companion introduced. In addition to Clara, it would give them someone to do more of the "running" scenes and since Clara is potentially the most experienced and knowledgeable companion ever, it would also provide someone to get into trouble to enable the Doctor to come to the rescue, to ask all the stupid questions as the audience surrogate and to provide a "love interest" for the companion (if necessary). As always, a non-human, non-contemporary companion would be great.

I am excited about the new doctor. He is a fantastic actor.

I do find it funny all the fan girls are whiney because the new doctor is "so old and gross". Go back and read your twilight books girls.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

They are also the ones who want to call themselves Dweeks, I would think most of them aren't aware the show is having it's 50th Anniversary this year and that the term Whovian is almost as old.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    They are also the ones who want to call themselves Dweeks, I would think most of them aren't aware the show is having it's 50th Anniversary this year and that the term Whovian is almost as old.
    What a bunch of nerds. : P

Why can't someone just enjoy the show? I think the new guy is going to do fine. I had doubts about Matt Smith because he looked like a dork, but then his performance won me over and then I learned to judge the actor who is going to be the Doctor on his performance, not his appearance. I'd like to think the actors who go to become the Doctor study a bit on previous performances and take a little bit from them and add their own twist.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I think most of it is people who are new to the concept of regeneration for the Doctor. While I have watched since Eccleston, and gone back before that, I went all the way through to current episodes so having the actor change for me isn't a big deal.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    This could be the launch of a new era for Doctor Who. We've had three clever, sometimes cheeky, dramatic action Doctors since the 2005 launch. Bringing the Doctor back into a more somewhat middle aged, authority looking figure could be a good change of pace for awhile. At least, that is what I am getting just by looking at Peter Capaldi. I feel he'll probably do a good job, bringing together classic elements of the Doctor we've known for years, yet add a few new elements in. The Doctor has always been about change, which has been something he has run from for a long time.
    I hope he doesn't change TOOO much. I happened to LIKE the clever, Sometimes cheeky Dramatic aspects

They can add the middle aged and authority figure without losing the cleverness...

One thing I would REALLY like to see change a bit... is I want the doctor to be IN CHARGE again. During 9th and the beginning of 10th... the Doctor was the brilliant one who solved all the problems and had the centuries of knowledge and experience backing them up.... Starting around Donna and going through Amy, River, and the rest... He's been led around the women around him... usually getting shown up in some way by how clever the human women were...

That's gotten tedious.

As for the new actor? I have no opinion of him and certainly no opinion of him as 'the doctor'. I told my friends I have no 'objection' to him as of now... but 'the doctor' is all about what kind of costume and personality quirks each actor brings to him... and seeing a picture or an episode of some other show isn't going to tell me anything. I need an episode or two with him PLAYING the part before I'll make a decision.

Of course, while I DID enjoy Smith's run.... Tennant is still my gold standard. He was awesome. The perfect blend of quirky tourist and scary authority figure... depending on who he was talking to.

Oh, the Doctor is always, always clever. He just expresses it in different ways.

One thing I definitely want to see the back of is "I'm the DOCTOR! I'm a TIMELORD! I'm 1,000 YEARS old! Look at how awesome and epic I am!"

They seemed to get away from that recently. A bit. I want the Doctor to be an authority, but I think he works better as a quiet authority who doesn't have to tell us he's in control. I like him as a wanderer who just comes in, takes control of the situation, and leaves without so much muss and fuss.

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^^

Yes please! No more Doctor God!

And I'd like the Doctor to seem less god-like by making the companions smarter and more capable. Re-watching some of the Third and Fourth Doctor episodes with Sarah Jane, it is pretty amazing how competent and proactive Sarah Jane is when compared to the majority of modern companions. It's not that Sarah Jane was always "right" with her theories, ideas, plans and suggestions, but at least she was actively speaking up and trying to assist the Doctor in figuring out the problem or mystery.

I'd really like to see the companion's role because an active audience surrogate, instead of primarily serving as a love interest or the character that is always making mistakes and needing to be rescued by the Doctor.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    ^^^^

Yes please! No more Doctor God!

And I'd like the Doctor to seem less god-like by making the companions smarter and more capable. Re-watching some of the Third and Fourth Doctor episodes with Sarah Jane, it is pretty amazing how competent and proactive Sarah Jane is when compared to the majority of modern companions. It's not that Sarah Jane was always "right" with her theories, ideas, plans and suggestions, but at least she was actively speaking up and trying to assist the Doctor in figuring out the problem or mystery.

I'd really like to see the companion's role because an active audience surrogate, instead of primarily serving as a love interest or the character that is always making mistakes and needing to be rescued by the Doctor.
    Ehhh...

Kind of a difference in opinion I guess... In my mind, the Anything involving Amy or Donna was TOO MUCH about the companions. They've all been TOO competent and frankly for a 1000 years of experience there was too MUCH of the 'He never would have saved the day if it hadn't been for the super clever humans'...

Honestly, what I would love to see the MOST... is dialing down the 'meta-plot'.. a few ties here and there are fine... like the Torchwood, badwolf, Harold saxton easter eggs. They were THERE... but they didn't DOMINATE the season.

But frankly if we only get a handful of episodes a year... I'd like to see more of the Eccleston/Tennant stories that were stand alone... the Giddy, excitable tourist showing his companions the wonders of the universe and 'happening' to get into trouble each time...

I really MISS that...

Spoilers for the upcoming episode well, not spoilers but pretty much a set up for it.

prequel to the upcoming 50th special.
    Last edited by wyldman11; November 14, 2013 at 08:06pm.

Whoa!!!

Hurt is the War Doctor.... interesting! Well at least we see the regeneration into hurt. Now we just need to see the regeneration into Eccleston for the cycle to be complete. You KNOW the episode just has to end with him regenerating into Eccleston.

Loved all the 50th Anniversary stuff! An Adventure in Time and Space, The Day of the Doctor, and the Five-ish Doctors were all so enjoyable! It really felt like a proper celebration.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought The Day of the Doctor was an overall excellent episode. I loved seeing Ten and Rose again. I do wish that Eccleston would have returned, though. As much as I enjoyed John Hurt as the War Doctor, I think seeing Nine, Ten, and Eleven together would have rocked.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Of course, given the results of the episode, it's going to make for some interesting conversations in terms of numbering the Doctors going forward...
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

sounds like we got War Doctor because Eccleston wasn't going to return. I have heard basically adjusting, or calling Hurt, War Doctor, or 8.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Of course, given the results of the episode, it's going to make for some interesting conversations in terms of numbering the Doctors going forward...
    I agree, as that will put us at the 13th doctor [regeneration limit] of a timelord with this new doctor we are getting soon.

So I am really looking forward to how they tiptoe around this major problem

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Loved all the 50th Anniversary stuff! An Adventure in Time and Space, The Day of the Doctor, and the Five-ish Doctors were all so enjoyable! It really felt like a proper celebration.
    Yeah, I loved it all as well. The five(ish) Doctors was brilliant but were they REALLY under the sheets in the special or was that just a hilarious nod?

sounds like we got War Doctor because Eccleston wasn't going to return. I have heard basically adjusting, or calling Hurt, War Doctor, or 8.5.
    Yeah, I am pretty bummed he wouldn't appear. I mean, I like what they did with the 'lost doctor', but it would have been nice to have them there to tie things up, at least at the regeneration. I am sure part of it is that he doesn't want to be 'typecast' as a doctor and that at the time of filming he was probably still busy with Thor 2 but mostly it is probably that he doesn't want anything to do with Dr. Who. It is funny since without Who I doubt he would have been cast in many American movies since he wasn't on the radar of most studios until AFTER Dr. Who.

I NEED a series or two of McGann and Hurt as the doctor. Maybe a "lost" season/series or two for each?

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Yeah, I loved it all as well. The five(ish) Doctors was brilliant but were they REALLY under the sheets in the special or was that just a hilarious nod?
    I never want a straight answer, just so I can believe it to be so! I'd be up for an ongoing series of these guys playing themselves post-Who to go along with our Hurt and McGann series!

As this just aired some spoilers, will try to be vague.

Based on the footage shown it looked like an actual pass by for the scene, it's ironic based on what they were showing as we are led to believe they were Daleks. I think it would be a fun way to say that this special had the majority of the Doctors in it with Paul McGann being in a setup short. If you add that to the movie what all the living Doctors are in the episode minus Eccleston?

I would like to see some more stuff with War Doctor, he wasn't given much time to shine or anything. I also think it would have been a good idea to have the interface be more than Rose also.

But yeah looking back over it almost seemed like to some extent there wasn't supposed to be a lost Doctor but it was supposed to be the Ninth Doctor, because I could see that Doctor fitting that role. And I don't know if we will ever get the full story of why Eccleston left, there are hints in lesser known reportings that kind of hint he wanted to be in something a bit more for adults.

I do find some of the speculation and comments on the net interesting. Like how this kind of makes Nine's series moot but in reality it still works because without that regeneration the Doctor wouldn't have gotten to the point he is at now. How Rose Tyler fans are putting too much emphasis on her being the interface. I think in all likelihood the they didn't rewrite history but that's how it happened, the nature of what was done makes the memory muddy.

On to regenerations. There is is an implication on how to handle the whole thing that all the versions of the Doctor are present, but at the same time we get the potion which forces a regeneration into something specific or it was just a poison and he asserted his will on the regeneration. War Doctors death is also interesting in the way it happens almost as if the time for that face to disappear. We still have the Valeyard issue, also the conversation at the end with not the curator but what seems to be The Curator also implies he might be a future regeneration.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Moffat has already said that they would handle the renegeration issue when it comes up, and that it wouldn't hold the show back. As it is, the Master already showed that there are ways around the 'rule'. As such, I'm not particularly worried.

If nothing else, River gave 11 her regenerations when he was about to die in the Hitler ep, so they could just say that he has 'X' more in him. I'm betting that isn't the case, as it would be pretty cut-and-dry.

The more interesting bit is how he went on to inhabit 4's body again (considering how much they were suggesting it, I'm going to assume that is what happened). Kind of blows the whole 12 regenerations thing out of the water.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

As this just aired some spoilers, will try to be vague.

Based on the footage shown it looked like an actual pass by for the scene, it's ironic based on what they were showing as we are led to believe they were Daleks. I think it would be a fun way to say that this special had the majority of the Doctors in it with Paul McGann being in a setup short. If you add that to the movie what all the living Doctors are in the episode minus Eccleston?
    Yeah, that was kind of brilliant.

I would like to see some more stuff with War Doctor, he wasn't given much time to shine or anything. I also think it would have been a good idea to have the interface be more than Rose also.
    I would love to see more of him, but he was so perfect in the bits we did see, and so suddenly the Doctor, that I'm pretty satisfied. He made an amazing foil to Tennant and Smith. I thought the dialogue between the three of them was great, and I don't think it would have worked to have the 9th Doctor in there, to be honest. I had heard that he was always meant to just be a cameo, which is part of why he turned down appearing. If you think about it, the 9th Doctor had already made the decision, for one, so you can't just slot him in there.

I do find some of the speculation and comments on the net interesting. Like how this kind of makes Nine's series moot but in reality it still works because without that regeneration the Doctor wouldn't have gotten to the point he is at now. How Rose Tyler fans are putting too much emphasis on her being the interface. I think in all likelihood the they didn't rewrite history but that's how it happened, the nature of what was done makes the memory muddy.
    It's one of those things where I don't think it invalidates anything. To the Doctor, he still thought he destroyed Gallifrey until we get to this story. From now on he'll know better, but everything else in the past is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Moffat has already said that they would handle the renegeration issue when it comes up, and that it wouldn't hold the show back. As it is, the Master already showed that there are ways around the 'rule'. As such, I'm not particularly worried.
    I'm not worried, either. They'll get around it somehow. But I think it's good fodder for a story, so it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it at the end of Capaldi's run. It seems likely it won't be Moffat wrapping it up, either, unless Capaldi ends up being a one-season Doctor or Moffat stays on. I just get the feeling that Moffat won't stay on past the first Capaldi season... though I could be totally wrong!