Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Discussion (11th Doctor/Season 7)

Just a reminder to those in the USA who have BBC America that Series 5 with Matt Smith airs this Saturday 4/17 at 9pm.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

An improvement over the old (2005) logo, absolutely and the 2005 titles.

But not the music.

Moffatt, I think so far, at least, seems to get the Doctor's true appeal more. I don't ask for much in the way of plotting and RTD didn't deliver that for me by the end.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

I was also a newbie to the Doctor Who series a couple of years ago. I was a fan of Eccleston, a huge fan of Tennant, and now, I believe I will be a fan of Smith.

And yes, the Doctor has a very hot companion. She is second place after Billie Piper (Rose) - have you checked Secret Diaries of a Callgirl?!
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

My pictures and albums

Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

Second episode in and I get a feeling of character aside from I want to make out with you, or I don't have some schoolgirl crush on you. I think we will see a more mature relationship form with Amy Pond and The Doctor. It has been the one thing I think Sarah Jane Adventures out of all the current (filmed) content has gotten right.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by okydoky View Post
    And yes, the Doctor has a very hot companion. She is second place after Billie Piper (Rose) - have you checked Secret Diaries of a Callgirl?!
    I felt Martha was better looking than Rose. But I reckon Karen Gillan (Amy) has surpassed both of them as the most attractive companion so far. Surprisingly tall for a Scottish lass, too (she's 5'11).

Oh, something I did leave out from my previous post. New Doctor's a bit pervy. "Hey Miss Pond about I hold onto your ankle while you float around in space and I look up your nightie."
    OK

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    An improvement over the old (2005) logo, absolutely and the 2005 titles.
    I agree 100%!!!! Being a fan of the old Dr. Who (specifically, Tom Baker-era), I never liked the eye-shaped logo compared to the late 70's/early 80's one. This new logo rocks though. The opening is sort of an homage to Pertwee/Baker era Doctor Who as well, which I like.

I'm glad I found this thread because, next to Tom Baker, David Tennant was my 2nd favorite Doctor. Hearing people's reactions to Matt Smith's portrayal gives me hope that this transition won't be like the Baker-Davison one. Sorry, I was not a big fan of Davison as the Doctor.

The incidental music seems to harken back to that late-70's feel too.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday night's premiere now!!!
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread because, next to Tom Baker, David Tennant was my 2nd favorite Doctor. Hearing people's reactions to Matt Smith's portrayal gives me hope that this transition won't be like the Baker-Davison one. Sorry, I was not a big fan of Davison as the Doctor.
    I loved Tennant (although it took me a couple episodes to warm up to him because I really liked Eccelston), but Smith won me over right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I loved Tennant (although it took me a couple episodes to warm up to him because I really liked Eccelston), but Smith won me over right away.
    Yeah, I am really glad to hear that!!!!!!!! I wasn't a big fan of Eccleston as the Doctor either, but I liked Tennant A LOT. I thought his lightspeed quirkiness and scroungy mod look was perfect. After grabbing the boxed sets, I think it's safe to say it was Christopher Ecceston that bothered me as much as Rose and her massive Cheshire Cat smile did.

I'm getting really antsy about seeing the season now.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

I think what is really helping this new Doctor Who is Steven Moffat as he is without a doubt the best writer that RTD had working on the new Doctor Who and now that he is in charge we get to see his vision of DW which going by the awesome eps he has wrote for the last 5 seasons it will be darker, grittier and much more interesting than RTD's. Going by Blink, Silence in the Library and and the Eleventh Hour he also gets how to use time travel in stories more effectively
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Going by Blink, Silence in the Library and and the Eleventh Hour he also gets how to use time travel in stories more effectively
    Actually, "Blink" and "Silnce In The Library" are two of my favorites. "Midnight", "The Unicorn and the Wasp", and "Girl In The Fireplace" are some of my others. I think he also wrote "Midnight".
    Last edited by LostIt2Bostik; April 15, 2010 at 07:08pm.

Ya I loved Silence in the Library, when the woman gets killed and is nothing more than a skeleton sitting in a chair while the last remaining bits of her consciousness speak through her suit is really sad.

Ya I loved Silence in the Library, when the woman gets killed and is nothing more than a skeleton sitting in a chair while the last remaining bits of her consciousness speak through her suit is really sad.
    I was just watching that ep last night. I hope Moffat touches on the whole River Song mystery at some point. I wouldn't mind seeing Sally Sparrow again either.

...and they can bring back Donna Noble ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya if they can figure out a way to do it without frying her head and killing her, cuz it would be awesome to see the Doctordonna again because she was awesome as a time lord level genius at the end of season 4

I loved Donna Noble, but IMO, that story has been told.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I was just watching that ep last night. I hope Moffat touches on the whole River Song mystery at some point. I wouldn't mind seeing Sally Sparrow again either.

River Song is supposed to appear in five episodes of this series. Not only do the trailers for the series confirm it but so does the news gathered from the BBC.

I'm liking the new series and the new guy. I will admit I didn't think he'd pull it off when he was initially cast, but Matt Smith seems to understand the part and pulls it off surprisingly well. I like all of the new visuals, the new logo and the new spin on the theme. After five years it was time for a new look. I'm liking the new TARDIS interior, which has a few throwbacks to the Eighth Doctor era thrown in.

I also like the new direction thus far. Moffat seems to be with it. Davies, on the other hand, kept interjecting themes into the previous four series that got annoying after quite awhile.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I agree! But it would be nice if they could some how just like show one of the old companions like walking down the street and he stops and sees them. Then moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    River Song is supposed to appear in five episodes of this series. Not only do the trailers for the series confirm it but so does the news gathered from the BBC.

I'm liking the new series and the new guy. I will admit I didn't think he'd pull it off when he was initially cast, but Matt Smith seems to understand the part and pulls it off surprisingly well. I like all of the new visuals, the new logo and the new spin on the theme. After five years it was time for a new look. I'm liking the new TARDIS interior, which has a few throwbacks to the Eighth Doctor era thrown in.

I also like the new direction thus far. Moffat seems to be with it. Davies, on the other hand, kept interjecting themes into the previous four series that got annoying after quite awhile.
    So glad they will touch the River Song character. I liked her. Especially when she says "Spoilers" and gives that little smirk. Plus I hope we see The Doctor give her the Sonic Screwdriver! To tie up some of the loose ends. Also will they ever reveal his real name?

Also I would love for them to bring back Jenny, The Doctor's daughter! Played by the lovely, Georgia Moffett. It would be nice to see them touch on her character some more!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I don't want them to dip into the past too much.

Plenty of new ideas out there.

Let's give them a chance.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Saw the 11th hour at Wondercon and I like the new
    Doctor, however Tennent will always be my favorite.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

Have a quick question, saw "Stolen Earth" part two on
    DVD and then again on BBC America and the American
    version shorten the scene when the Doctor
    takes Rose back to the alternate universe.
    Does the American version alway shorten or cut out
    scenes from their shows?

Well they don't have to bring her back permanently but it would be nice if the Doctor could figure out a way to fix her so that she could remember all the adventures she had because it was sad that she had to forget

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    Saw the 11th hour at Wondercon and I like the new
    Doctor, however Tennent will always be my favorite.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

Have a quick question, saw "Stolen Earth" part two on
    DVD and then again on BBC America and the American
    version shorten the scene when the Doctor
    takes Rose back to the alternate universe.
    Does the American version alway shorten or cut out
    scenes from their shows?
    American version tends to lose a few minutes quite frequently. To put it in perspective most episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures are 25-27 minutes in length (with opening sequence) but most American shows in a 30 minute block are 22 minutes because of advertisements. So we lost the opening sequence, and often had quite a few other things trimmed down.

Well they don't have to bring her back permanently but it would be nice if the Doctor could figure out a way to fix her so that she could remember all the adventures she had because it was sad that she had to forget
    Can't always be a happy ending. But she ended up married to a man that loves her and she won the lottery - I think that was a good cap to her story.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    American version tends to lose a few minutes quite frequently. To put it in perspective most episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures are 25-27 minutes in length (with opening sequence) but most American shows in a 30 minute block are 22 minutes because of advertisements. So we lost the opening sequence, and often had quite a few other things trimmed down.
    It was even worse when the show was on Sci-Fi. That's why I always watch the UK versions (plus they air 2 weeks sooner). Its also the only way to see the entire CONFIDENTIAL episodes. They cut the heck out of them for the US DVDs.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; April 16, 2010 at 11:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I really liked the new Doctor.
    Best doctor yet even if he does look like a once very handsome man only swollen from bee stings.

But for the life of me I cannot understand why this is so popular.
    I really don't.
    Generally poor story lines (ie not very original), appaling effects - first new ep reminded me of Australian Childrens TV shows from the 90's and Captain Power. Better effects are to be seen in Star Wars fan movies.
    The music is way over the top and too load.
    Tis poorly directed I think.
    Every episode is set in a very quaint UK despite being about time and space.
    Seems more like a advert for the UK tourist board with them constantly shoehorning of HMS this and that.

Is it England's answer to Riverdance I wonder?

What am I not getting here?
    I can see why Brits love it (tis very british and that only ever good thing to folks here). But Americans?
    My girlfried and I consider ourselves to have good taste but Dr. Who is one that just escapes us.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

But for the life of me I cannot understand why this is so popular.
    I really don't.
    Generally poor story lines (ie not very original), appaling effects - first new ep reminded me of Australian Childrens TV shows from the 90's and Captain Power. Better effects are to be seen in Star Wars fan movies.
    The music is way over the top and too load.
    Tis poorly directed I think.
    Well it's a matter of taste I suppose.

I think the effects are pretty good. You have to remember they're budgets are pretty small, especially when compared to US shows. Most US shows don't ever get as ambitious as Doctor Who. Every new episode is set in a different locale! It's like a sci-fi anthology series in that way. The only standing set is the TARDIS and they aren't in it all that often. Everything else is created anew. I think they do a great job. I should note that everything usually looks better in HD than in non-HD. And if you think they look like Captain Power effects you REALLY need to go back and look at some Captain Power. It's way, way better than that. Also, I want to see these fan-made Star Wars films with all these great effects. LOL. I thought the cinematography was great. So was the direction! There were tons of great shots. I would agree that the music can be overbearing at times.

Every episode is set in a very quaint UK despite being about time and space.
    Seems more like a advert for the UK tourist board with them constantly shoehorning of HMS this and that.
    Have you only watched the first two episodes of Series 5? What are you basing this on? It's pretty far off base. The first episode was the first one set in a quaint location (a village) in AGES. The second one was set in a VERY unique locale in my opinion. I don't want to give it away yet. They do end up in modern London now and again because of the budget. But throughout the course of the new series they've been to a mansions, council estates, Mars, ancient Pompeii, Victorian England, several space stations, the end of the world, the planet of the Ood, the end of time, depression-era New York City, a planet made of diamonds and much, much more.

I can see why Brits love it (tis very british and that only ever good thing to folks here). But Americans?
    My girlfried and I consider ourselves to have good taste but Dr. Who is one that just escapes us.
    I grew up watching the 4th Doctor in the US. To me the stories are what count, and I like the stories. There's a certain lightness and imagination few American shows can match. Do their ambitions outstrip their budgets sometimes? Sure. But at least they HAVE ambitions.

I've seen plenty of the show dude. I a hard show to avoid living in Britain.

Please don't say the special effects are good when I clearly see they are not.

To me it looks cheap. Primevil (also UK production) doesn't look cheap.

Oh and the new logo is rubbish I think. Much preferred the previous one.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com