Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kothos appreciation thread

Kothos appreciation thread

With the pending release of Evil Lyn in just over 2 weeks, it is time to voice our support for a MOTUC version of Evil Lyn's No.1 enemy: the evil wizard Kothos.

I know Kothos is a FILMation character and 'cannot be made at this time' but don't attack me, just consider this yet another in the endless stream of attempts to promote these vintage cartoon characters to Mattel!

Kothos was the starring villain in two of the best Evil Lyn episodes ever: Witch & the Warrior and its sequel, Revenge is Never Sweet.

Interestingly, in W&tW Evil Lyn tells Teela how she ultimately schemes to betray Skeletor and steal his power; then ironically in Revenge Skeletor betrays Evil Lyn, selling her out to Kothos.

Kothos proves to be a very powerful evil wizard, commands a Floating Palace and has an army of Orc guards. He has one of the coolest villain voices on the 'toon.

A MOTUC Kothos figure could come with an amulet, crystal ball and magic lightning bolts. A cool added bonus would be to have a 'Kothos sand slug' packed in!

Kothos would need a new 'fat' buck, which could be re-used for Fang Man and maybe Leech.

If Count Marzo can get a figure (and a 200x power upgrade) surely Kothos deserves his MOTUC day in the sun! Does anyone agree?
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; April 5, 2010 at 03:58am.

Oh yes, Kothos would make a fine addition to the line, the more the merrier.

The big difference is that Marzo appeared in the 2002 series, and Kothos did not.

Evil Spaghetti Eater Kobra Khan's Avatar
    I wonder how Marzo and Evil-seed managed to sneak into the 200x cartoon, weren't they copyrighted by Filmation?

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Khan View Post
    I wonder how Marzo and Evil-seed managed to sneak into the 200x cartoon, weren't they copyrighted by Filmation?
    In a related gripe, I like how the art cards that came with the Filmation DVDS feature drawings of Characters that were only ever Mattel action figures, and never ever in the show. So, the DVD company can use images based on Mattel toys in its advertising, but Mattel can't make toys based on the show which advertised the toys.

Getting dizzy.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    "The Witch and the Warrior" is one of my favourite Filmation episodes. Long before the DVDs, I had a blurry off-air x-th generation VHS copy of this episode which I squinted and watched over and over.

Anyway, as much as I like Kothos as a character in those stories, there are other Filmation characters (legal loopholes allowing) that I'd rather see realised first.
    (One of those is Negator, from "Game Plan" and "Trouble's Middle Name"; For some reason, I always thought an updated figure of this twisted electronics genius would be cool. Maybe it's simply because "Game Plan" was one of the few episodes I had on VHS for a few years, so it may just be nostalgia! Also, he has a pretty much standard MOTU body, so should require limited tooling)
    Last edited by Spacedust; April 4, 2010 at 09:53am.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The big difference is that Marzo appeared in the 2002 series, and Kothos did not.
    Well, it's a bit late now to get angry at MYP for ignoring Kothos!

Just because MYP made an error doesn't mean we can't fix things now!

Kobra KhanI wonder how Marzo and Evil-seed managed to sneak into the 200x cartoon, weren't they copyrighted by Filmation?
    Yes, how?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    You know what, I'm still wondering this as well. I was blown away when I found out Count Marzo would be in the 2002 series. I can't remember if we've ever found out what the deal was with Count Marzo and Evil Seed? Can anyone out there fill us in on any info? Especially Count Marzo. I'd really like to know how they decided on bringing him back ouy of the tons of awesome Filmation characters.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I don't know the terms, but I recall something along the lines of them being allowed to use characters in MYP so long as they gave them a complete redesign. It was really a stinky mess though (recalls the whole Power of Fear comic book debacle) I really have no idea though because some of the restrictions seemed legitimate enough, based on the silly agreement while others just seemed to be random restrictions mattel only put on themselves - stuff no one would sue them over (unless Mattel planned to sue themselves)

that being said Kothos was a good villain.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    that being said Kothos was a good villain.

No! That's a lie! He was EVIL! Evil I say!

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post

No! That's a lie! He was EVIL! Evil I say!
    Actually, he did become a good guy in the end, at the conclusion of his second appearance in "Revenge is Never Sweet". To me it actually felt like a bit of a forced switch given that he'd been shown as a pure evil character by that time for 1 and 3/4 episodes, then suddenly became this benevolent character!

As a side note, his skin tone also changed dramatically from his first appearance to his second - however, this could be attributed to his being transformed into a sand slug at the end of "The Witch and the Warrior" and spending so much time underground that his sun tan wore off!

Oh yes, and I would definitely buy a Kothos (actually always thought it was spelt Kathos, but I may well be wrong) figure if one was ever made!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Heroic Warrior
    ANY Filmation character gets my nod, but Kothos? Yes. He actually had a storyarc on the show and was incredibly memorable. A great villain... and one smart enough to learn from his mistakes.
    CyberV... FOR VICTORY!

Check out my new comic, Death Fox, at www.whatthefluxcomics.com

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    I would really like to have a Kothos!

Kothos as he appears in the filmation cartoon isn't a character I'm interested in.

But if a 200X version of Kothos would be made (just has for count marzo) then Ho yessss I would be pleased to have one

200X cartoon succeeded in creating a really cool count Marzo whereas the filmation version was really... well not interesting at all

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Khan View Post
    I have always wondered this too. If Mattel had some way to use Filmation characters at that time, it's a shame more of them were not used in the MYP cartoon so we'd still have them around today.

Or is it only Marzo and Evilseed who somehow fell through the cracks?
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    This thread needs pictures of said Kothos.. Having trouble remembering this character.

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    This thread needs pictures of said Kothos.. Having trouble remembering this character.
    I second the motion for the same reason. Too lazy to go google him myself
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man At Arms View Post
    I second the motion for the same reason. Too lazy to go google him myself
    I tried.. it seems to be a world of warcraft character.. checked the .org's encyclopedia too.. still couldn't find him. I think i might have found him using an image search.. This is the guy!?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    This is the guy!?
    That is him, C-Krash. And personally, I could live without him in MOTUC.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post

As a side note, his skin tone also changed dramatically from his first appearance to his second - however, this could be attributed to his being transformed into a sand slug at the end of "The Witch and the Warrior" and spending so much time underground that his sun tan wore off!

Oh yes, and I would definitely buy a Kothos (actually always thought it was spelt Kathos, but I may well be wrong) figure if one was ever made!

Take care...
    He definitely did transform because in one episode his name was Kathos and in the other, it was Kothos.

Either way, the guy was in two great episodes, and I love seeing his relationship with Evil-Lyn. Also, he's one of the few black characters to be featured in the series, which is kind of interesting in itself.

I love both "The Witch and the Warrior" and "Revenge Is Never Sweet." Two great eps, one great wizard!

Some of Evil-Lyn's lines are good entertainment: "You kept me cooped up in a cage like somebody's pet FLOOGLE MOUSE!!"
    RIP Andy Conrad.

If I knew how to post screen cap pics I would - but sadly I don't.

Benedict - I'm surprised you would turn down another evil warrior!

In one of the eps it does sound like everyone calls him 'Kathos' (well, except when Evil Lyn calls him a fool ) but the DVD material clearly identifies him as Kothos.

It really is priceless when Skeletor traps Evil Lyn in a cage and sells (trades) her off like a slave to Kothos. Skeletor: "It's all part of the game, Evil Lyn"
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; April 6, 2010 at 08:44pm.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Benedict - I'm surprised you would turn down another evil warrior!
    Yeah, well. I kind of like a bit of competence in my villains. And a little visual dynamism to boot. Kothos gets turned into a slug at the end of his first revenge attempt against Evil-Lyn. And at the end of the second, he switches sides! What the "h"-"e"-double hockey sticks, S-marsh!

And come on! His costume? Is he a villain or a second rate Zoltar impersonator? And would it hurt if he signed up for a step aerobics class? Maybe work on his cardio-vascular for a bit. He looks and sounds like he's straining just to breathe. Say what you will about Skeletor and his band of Evil Warriors but with the workout gym in the dungeon basement of Snake Mountain, you could grate cheese on all of their abs.

Man, sorry, S-marsh. It's cool that you're a villain supporter. It shows you're smarter than the average bear. But you got to raise the bar on your evil-doer expectations just a little bit. Remember, you're on the winning team. Enthusiasm will only get you so far. You got to be a cut above. Kothos is a D, maybe C-lister, at best.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yeah, well. I kind of like a bit of competence in my villains.
    Kothos, the only villain NOT to be beaten by He-Man and the heroic warriors. A record not even Skeletor can match. It was Evil Lyn who defeated Kothos (after she had teamed up with the Good guys to save her treacherous hide).

And a little visual dynamism to boot.
    What? We running a fashion parade?

Kothos gets turned into a slug at the end of his first revenge attempt against Evil-Lyn.
    You can't tell me a Kothos sand slug figure wouldn't fly off the shelves at Mattycollector.

And at the end of the second, he switches sides! What the "h"-"e"-double hockey sticks, S-marsh!
    A weak moment to be sure, another victim of Lou Scheimer goodness - but not as embarrassing as poodle-loving Christmas Special Skeletor!

I'm sure Kothos returned to his evil ways the instant He-Man's back was turned.

And come on! His costume? Is he a villain or a second rate Zoltar impersonator? And would it hurt if he signed up for a step aerobics class? Maybe work on his cardio-vascular for a bit. He looks and sounds like he's straining just to breathe. Say what you will about Skeletor and his band of Evil Warriors but with the workout gym in the dungeon basement of Snake Mountain, you could grate cheese on all of their abs.
    Who doesn't love corrupt, gluttonous manipulative villains that make minions do the heavy lifting?

Images of Dukes of Hazard Boss Hogg, one of the best & funniest baddies of the silver screen.

Man, sorry, S-marsh. It's cool that you're a villain supporter. It shows you're smarter than the average bear. But you got to raise the bar on your evil-doer expectations just a little bit. Remember, you're on the winning team. Enthusiasm will only get you so far. You got to be a cut above. Kothos is a D, maybe C-lister, at best.
    Ah, you'd be singing another tune had Kothos received a 200x power upgrade my villainous friend.

Kothos, the only villain NOT to be beaten by He-Man and the heroic warriors. A record not even Skeletor can match. It was Evil Lyn who defeated Kothos (after she had teamed up with the Good guys to save her treacherous hide).
    Well, I don't think Kothos ever stepped up enough to warrant He-Man and the other Heroic Warriors to get involved. He was pretty set on getting back at Evil-Lyn. Not the top villain...the second in command. So, I think He-Man and the others felt Kothos was beneath them and not "Big League Chew" enough for them to get concerned about.

What? We running a fashion parade?
    Well, if you're gonna be villain to be taken seriously, you got to look the part. It's kind of hard to be menacing in a pirate blouse with a 70's neck line.

You can't tell me a Kothos sand slug figure wouldn't fly off the shelves at Mattycollector.
    Unfortunately, yes I can.

A weak moment to be sure, another victim of Lou Scheimer goodness - but not as embarrassing as poodle-loving Christmas Special Skeletor!
    Yeah, but that embarrasing scene was after Skeletor had 12 shots of egg nog. I'm sure Skeletor hated himself waking up the next morning...

I'm sure Kothos returned to his evil ways the instant He-Man's back was turned.
    Possibly...but doubtful.

Who doesn't love corrupt, gluttonous manipulative villains that make minions do the heavy lifting?
    Ummmm...me.

Images of Dukes of Hazard Boss Hogg, one of the best & funniest baddies of the silver screen.
    I liked Enos better myself.

Ah, you'd be singing another tune had Kothos received a 200x power upgrade my villainous friend.
    Maybe if it included a liposuction session...

But we shouldn't be arguing amongst ourselves, S-marsh. As villains we must be united against that muscle-bound goody-good, He-Man and his ilk. So, if you like Kothos...so be it. I will support you in your quest for a MOTUC Kothos figure (even Toyguru already shot you down).

In one of the eps it does sound like everyone calls him 'Kathos' (well, except when Evil Lyn calls him a fool ) but the DVD material clearly identifies him as Kothos.
    Something interesting about this, while watching some older episodes I noticed that some characters pronounce the same name differently, as an adult I kind of like this as it's like real life. the name Mario for instance, some people say MAW-rio while others say MEHR-io in the episode return of the gryphon, some charaters say Griffin while others say GRYphon. every now and again Orko pronounces Skeletor almost like skeledor.

not saying there isn't an inconsistincy in filmations MOTU but sometimes I like it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure