Thread: Suppose we didn't know who we were going to get each month...

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!

Suppose we didn't know who we were going to get each month...

Okay, so I had this discussion earlier today about the MOTUC subscription and it got me thinking.

What if this were like a "jelly of the month" or a "beer of the month" club? We would subscribe like normal, ONLY knowing who the bonus figure would be, but otherwise totally blinded to the rest of the year.

On the 15th of each month we would be billed and shipped our next "flavor" without any inkling of who, or what it might be.

To be fair, Mattel would send us a calendar with descriptions such as:
    -Jan. Male Hero x 1
    -Feb. Female Hero x 1
    -Mar. Male Villain x 1, Lg. Scale Beast x 1
    -Apr. Female Villain x 1

Etc...etc..

I know that there is no way in the WORLD this could happen, but since I am a huge (almost naive) fan of everything MOTU, this idea wouldn't really bug me. In fact, I think it would be really cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what everyone thought about this, and whether this would have an effect on your decision to subscribe/collect the MOTUC....

Discuss...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think some people would purchase blindly without knowing who was being offered. As has been noted, some people LOATHE NA and POP, so I imagine they wouldn't buy into a sub without at least knowing some of the characters they'd be receiving.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    It's a fun idea and I personally would enjoy it (like getting a surprise gift each month), but in reality it would generate fewer sales for Mattel.

Lets pretend everyone is okay with blind purchases. Well, some people would buy 2 figures of characters with 2 heads (like Man-At-Arms) and possibly 3 of She-Ra with her different mask looks. Without knowing, people won't buy extra.

Then there also wouldn't be the pick and choose fans...unless they're still sold blindly one at a time online.

Still, I appreciate the idea, think it's fun and would still sign up for it if it was offered that way.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

It would be a bad idea, but I personally wouldn't be too bothered about it. It would actually be really exciting to get your figure and be surprised by what you get. I would be a little annoyed though, because of figures like Trap-jaw where I really gotta have two, because of the Kronis parts.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Ummm...Are they not doing that already when they tell you to buy a year subscription? When you get it you have about 8 months of figures you have no clue on who they will be.

Revealing them early allows the all the vendors and fansites to call attention to the product and generate more interest. For myself I can say that not knowing anything until it actually arrives would be a special kind of agony. Maybe you guys are more adrenaline junkies than I am.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Would I still subscribe? Yes. Would I be happy if that's how things were? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Ummm...Are they not doing that already when they tell you to buy a year subscription? When you get it you have about 8 months of figures you have no clue on who they will be.
    What he said
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)
    To finish your sentence....

ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE!
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339

Yeah exactly. People just try and think up new topics just to stir the fans up I guess.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    i'd be ok w/ that as long as i get my motu fix for the month. motu, na or pop its all relative so it doesn't matter, plus its like geting a nice surprise every month when your package arrives and you don't know what to expect..

=)
    Last edited by Son of Keldor; April 8, 2010 at 10:21am.
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

We'd have a million "I iz kwitten teh lien!" every time a non favorite character arrives or if we get a 3 month he-varaint jamboree.
    The demands for Toyguru's head on a replica of the 200X Keldor blades would increase exponentially.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I wouldn't mind this either. Part of me actually would love to see this happen! I'm simpy really enjoying the line as it is. I look forward to whatever Mattel wants to throw at me, be it Gwildor, Glimmer, Queen Andreenos, Fearless Photog, DC/Bikini Teela, or Shower Power Catra. I'm all in for the long haul!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's a fun idea and I personally would enjoy it (like getting a surprise gift each month), but in reality it would generate fewer sales for Mattel.

Lets pretend everyone is okay with blind purchases. Well, some people would buy 2 figures of characters with 2 heads (like Man-At-Arms) and possibly 3 of She-Ra with her different mask looks. Without knowing, people won't buy extra.

Then there also wouldn't be the pick and choose fans...unless they're still sold blindly one at a time online.

Still, I appreciate the idea, think it's fun and would still sign up for it if it was offered that way.
    Good things to consider, and valid reasons why this wouldn't work from Mattel's standpoint. It is a fun idea though, and I would also still sign up without knowing as well...

Quote Originally Posted by the.overlord View Post
    To finish your sentence....

ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOOSE!
    Lol!! Too true! For many, this would be the beginning of the Apocalypse.....

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I wouldn't mind this either. Part of me actually would love to see this happen! I'm simpy really enjoying the line as it is. I look forward to whatever Mattel wants to throw at me, be it Gwildor, Glimmer, Queen Andreenos, Fearless Photog, DC/Bikini Teela, or Shower Power Catra. I'm all in for the long haul!
    You and me both! Every time I receive my package each month, part of me wants to be pleasantly surprised by what's inside. The wait each month would be absolutely excruciating, but on that magic day, man! what an awesome way to brighten your month!

I think a lot of MOTU fans wouldn't be totally against something like this, but in reality, Mattel has to do what makes sense financially. And that means pushing their products and creating hype for them months ahead of time.

Also, you are right about the eight months of mystery figures we will be receiving should we opt for the all-in sub. So in a sense, this is like a nice surprise, albeit not every month.

The surprise element is great for small toys, like when you buy little gashapon figurines or Kubricks, etc. But at MOTU price points, along with shipping, the customer needs to know what's coming in advance.
    "Listen, strange women dressed like birds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown
    The dead will rise up from their graves, 40 days of darkness, the seas will boil, cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    The dead will rise up from their graves, 40 days of darkness, the seas will boil, cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!
    So evil likes Ghostbusters too....that's awesome. (You forgot about the earthquakes and volcanoes...)

Not knowing who you're getting until you open the box would be a disaster of epic proportions. They'd never do something like that. But committing to buy something 18 months down the road....and you'll know what it is in 12-14, well they do that already.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    So evil likes Ghostbusters too....that's awesome. (You forgot about the earthquakes and volcanoes...)
    Yeah, I'm at work so I couldn't pull out my DVD to get an exact quote. Working from memory here. Besides what's not to like. A moldy Sumerian god, evil ghosts causing havoc and a gigantic Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.

Hey, almost anything from the 80's and I'm all over it. I like ATHF as well there, Carl.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 9, 2010 at 03:13pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    LOL! That is AWESOME!! And it reminds me: Peter Venkman goes on sale this month too! YES!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Okay, so I had this discussion earlier today about the MOTUC subscription and it got me thinking.

What if this were like a "jelly of the month" or a "beer of the month" club? We would subscribe like normal, ONLY knowing who the bonus figure would be, but otherwise totally blinded to the rest of the year.

On the 15th of each month we would be billed and shipped our next "flavor" without any inkling of who, or what it might be.

To be fair, Mattel would send us a calendar with descriptions such as:
    -Jan. Male Hero x 1
    -Feb. Female Hero x 1
    -Mar. Male Villain x 1, Lg. Scale Beast x 1
    -Apr. Female Villain x 1

Etc...etc..

I know that there is no way in the WORLD this could happen, but since I am a huge (almost naive) fan of everything MOTU, this idea wouldn't really bug me. In fact, I think it would be really cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what everyone thought about this, and whether this would have an effect on your decision to subscribe/collect the MOTUC....

Discuss...
    Good idea. I'm in.

Got a point there

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    agreed