Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Glimmer is one of the principle characters in Princess of Power, but she isn't often discussed on the threads. We all assume that she will get a figure in the MOTUC, but will it be sooner or later among the POP cast?

Here's her bio, from the org's encyclopedia:

"Glimmer is The Princess of Bright Moon and daughter of Queen Angella and King Micah. Glimmer is the original leader and helped establish The Great Rebellion on Etheria. She has the ability to control light. She can teleport, illuminate large areas, refract light, and direct beams of light from her hands. Glimmer is also able to levitate herself and others."

What does everyone think of her, and how do you think she should be handled, in regards to the MOTUC style? What do you think her bio should contain, and in what manner will she join into the bio's already in progress?

Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 10, 2010 at 11:05pm.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I'm all for Glimmer. I never watched POP as a kid, but have just finished the first box set of DVDs and have been converted to a fan. A few years ago I wouldn't have wanted one, but now I see how POP fits into the scheme of things, and and how much less lame it actually is than I first thought.

So yeah, Glimmer me up. I'm sure they'd do a great job making her, just like everyone else so far. I don't think her story needs to change any either, it fits with what's going on.

Except her real name can't be Glimmer of course. I'd go with Jocasta Glikkamm'i'd'anne.

Flamboyant Etherian Rebel Chakram1701's Avatar
    I'm a huge POP fan and I agree. We have to have Glimmer sooner than later. Adora/She-Ra needs someone from the Great Rebellion to help her fight Hordak on my bedroom shelf.

Glimmer and Bow are the two figures I want most. I am hoping for a Glimmer that's inspired to the Filmation version but with added details to her outfit, boots, and gloves from the toy. Hopefully her hair will be classic style just like Adora with no strange windblown effects like She-Ra. I also hope she comes with her glow in the dark staff perhaps with added shading and detail like we saw with Scare Glow's halberd. As for her bio I hope to see her go with She-Ra to Eternia to help the Masters. The Princess of Eternia left her homeland to help the kingdom of Brightmoon and all Etheria, so it stands to reason that Princess of Brightmoon should do the same as a means to return the favour.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Glimmer is nice, but I'm hoping Frosta and Catra will come first

Heroic Warrior
    I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but I might like to see her cast in some semi-translucent plastic like The Goddess was. So maybe, like, the blue or purple parts of her are transparent plastic, and the rest are paint apps. Might give a little visual pizazz to what looks like a pretty generic character design.
    Last edited by geooco; April 11, 2010 at 12:13pm. Reason: mistyped

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but I might like to see her cast in somesemi-translucent plastic like The Goddess was. So maybe, like, the blue or purple parts of her are transparent pastic, and the rest are paint apps. Might give a little visual pizazz to what looks like a pretty generic character design.
    That would be awesome. Not a whole lot of interesting things to elaborate on with her design, so I think this would make her stand out perfectly. That, and I'm a sucker for translucence.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Actually, I agree too on the translucent thing. Glimmer isn't my favorite character. Filmation is the best medium of hers, and I felt that they dumbed her down too much. The voice acting wasn't much, either. Definitely a pretty girl, but she didn't quite come into her own on Filmation.

Besides that, there is little else except storybooks on Glimmer. I feel that if she'd had an appearance with She-Ra in the MYP cartoon, she would've felt like a MUCH different character. I really like the idea of her powers. Refracting light, illuminating large areas, shooting blinding light rays from her hands, levitation, and the ability to teleport are all pretty amazing things.

I'd like to think that Matty will develop this character further and make her something more special than what she has been before. There's too much potential there...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Glimmer & Catra were the only POP figs I had as a kid, and I loved em, Id really hope for more of a Toy influence on her, I much prefer her 'Toy' crown/Coronet and i like the lil 'overskirt and shoulder armor.

Im still hoping like hell that the 4G and Matty start utilising the clear/soft rubber used on Scare Glows cape on the POP figures, it can be toned to the figures colors and its soft and delicate enough to represent fine fabrics and could be skulpted to drape perfectly (even pleats like Angellas Culottes/Skirt). and avoid the -IMO- awful bulky look of She Ras skirt!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Glimmer was one of the very few POP "dolls" I was allowed to have, that withstanding I whole heartedly agree that something needs to be done to tweek her look, she looks rather bland and banal. I'll bet the four horseman have an idea for her design. Of course I think they can't do anything hyper stylized like what Scott's been saying ad nauseum, (we get it Scott no 200x or anything like it for this line), but I think maybe they can go by the style guide and spruce her up. IDK, maybe magenta hair and instead of that head band, maybe a crystal tiara that glows, and interchangable lighted hands, or some kind of plastic light burst, ala DCUC Green lantern constructs??? Anybody have the imagination for it?

Heroic Warrior
    I love Glimmer, she's no 2 of my POP wants (after Catra). I really like the She-Ra and Adora style so she should follow this and be released soon!

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    I wonder if her tiara is fixed to her head and not removable so she won't have a hole in her forehead like She-Ra. Or maybe they make her cartoon tiara (see PrinceAdam101's Glimmer picture in this thread) or her figure version which slides over her hair and has a different jewel, it looks very different. Maybe we'll get both too like with She-Ra and she WILL have a hole in her head haha. Can't wait to find out...

I just took a pic of my childhood glimmer, her hair is straighter than it should be -because i hated the curls as a kid!- but shes in awesome condition! and she should give everyone a point of comparison.

Its not really clear in the pic but the armor shoulders have panels of holographic stickers, like She Ras Head gear!

[/CENTER]

Aww. I love Glimmer's cabbage-staff.

She was always one of my faves growing up. I do prefer the Filmation look and hope that's what we get, though.

Bio-wise, I hope she joins She-Ra on Eternia. She should be more of a warrior princess. Unless something happens to Micah/Angella that would require her to stay on Etheria...

Remember that the goddess breaks apart so easily: Transluscent plastic is risky on toys...
    Holographic details and metallic accents can do wonders to glimmer without having brittle trasluscent plastic.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Glimmer and Bow are the two figures I want most. I am hoping for a Glimmer that's inspired to the Filmation version but with added details to her outfit, boots, and gloves from the toy. Hopefully her hair will be classic style just like Adora with no strange windblown effects like She-Ra. I also hope she comes with her glow in the dark staff perhaps with added shading and detail like we saw with Scare Glow's halberd. As for her bio I hope to see her go with She-Ra to Eternia to help the Masters. The Princess of Eternia left her homeland to help the kingdom of Brightmoon and all Etheria, so it stands to reason that Princess of Brightmoon should do the same as a means to return the favour.
    i have the same feelings towards this figure. hope she does come out more like the filmation.

The filmation loook is very close to Adoras style, Id be concerned about the POP gang all in tights and leotards, and therefore being very dull.
    The vintage dolls had body harnesses, and capes, high collars and armor. theres gotta be a happy medium. IMO

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Remember that the goddess breaks apart so easily: Transluscent plastic is risky on toys...
    Holographic details and metallic accents can do wonders to glimmer without having brittle trasluscent plastic.
    Good point!

Well, the 80's toy is a more detailed look for Glimmer, judging from that pic. I hope they go for more a purple than a pink on her boots, etc. Purple and silver looks good together. And I like the toy's crown thingie, but dislike her cabbage staff. That thing should double as a weapon and an instrument to illuminate dark terrains.

*****EDIT: There's actually a purple variant of Glimmer. Same fig but the pink parts are purple. Much better...
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; April 11, 2010 at 11:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    It's mainly the Goddess's torso that cracks, right? If they limit the translucence to, say, her arms, legs and maybe hair, it shouldn't be a problem.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but I might like to see her cast in somesemi-translucent plastic like The Goddess was. So maybe, like, the blue or purple parts of her are transparent pastic, and the rest are paint apps. Might give a little visual pizazz to what looks like a pretty generic character design.
    I would only want a translucent Glimmer if they did a 50/50 variant or did translucent for a second release. I mean...using her power takes a LOT out of her and she can only use it for like...5-10 minutes...then she basically passes out. A translucent variant of her would be really cool though!

As for the bio, I think the one on the .org says it all. The only other things I can think of including is maybe HOW the Horde was driven out of Etheria and if she followed She-Ra to Eternia.

As for Filmation vs. toy design. I think Filmation with some hints of the toy (chest jewel, translucent skirt and staff and an alternate curly hair head with toy tiara).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Glimmer is one example in which I don't mind the toy look over the Filmation one. Her cartoon look is a little boring. At least with the toy she's got a more interesting headband, and she's got those silver shoulder pads/armor... There's more to work with from a design/aesthetic standpoint.

Would she need a second head? Why not just make the hair wavy, sort of in-between? Without Filmation rights, they couldn't do the toon head details, or lack thereof.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    After seeing Adora and She-ra I really hope somebody starts putting more detail into the POP girls. While i have no complaints about the simplified animation look in filmation (i actually love it) but it really makes the pop girls not fit in with the Motu toys. It's as if they are two lines. Adora and She-ra would look great next to a Filmation Teela, but not so much next to Toy Teela.

So it's a hard decision, because i would love to own straight up Filmation version of everyone, Evil-lyn and Teela included, i can see how the pop girls might look bland next to the toys. Am i making any sense?

Edit: I would love a fully clear Glimmer kinda like Invisible girl from Marvel.
    Last edited by Judeh Simon; April 11, 2010 at 01:21pm.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

I agree that the Filmation look is boring, and that the character needs more of an edge bio-wise. She was developed like a child in the cartoon, which was useful for the series, but not so much for the long-term sense of the character. Had there been an MYP Glimmer, she probably wouldn't have been a liability for the Rebellion (Glimmer was ALWAYS getting in trouble).

The staff is a must. It contains the Jewell of Light, which, in some media, gave her the powers of light, or at least boosted them.

The staff and tiara HAVE to glow. She should come with two heads: style guide (which is the Filmation one) & and toy one (molded curly hair with different tiara). I like the idea of transluscent or metallic-painted parts. Glitter-paint, though probably considered too "girly" by some, would work well with this figure, as might pearlized paint.

I'd like to see a combo of the toy and style guide costume.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Aww. I love Glimmer's cabbage-staff.
    Ha! Cabbage staff. Wouldn't have thought of that by looking at it, but you're right! I hope she comes with that if they make a classics version.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I agree that the Filmation look is boring, and that the character needs more of an edge bio-wise. She was developed like a child in the cartoon, which was useful for the series, but not so much for the long-term sense of the character. Had there been an MYP Glimmer, she probably wouldn't have been a liability for the Rebellion (Glimmer was ALWAYS getting in trouble).

The staff is a must. It contains the Jewell of Light, which, in some media, gave her the powers of light, or at least boosted them.

The staff and tiara HAVE to glow. She should come with two heads: style guide (which is the Filmation one) & and toy one (molded curly hair with different tiara). I like the idea of transluscent or metallic-painted parts. Glitter-paint, though probably considered too "girly" by some, would work well with this figure, as might pearlized paint.

I'd like to see a combo of the toy and style guide costume.
    Would glow-in-the-dark pieces or parts be a good idea for Glimmer? I didn't know the story on the staff...