Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    From ToyGuru about PoP figures in MOTUC:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...636#9881032636

So, we will probably see the mock-up danielsan52 did with added toy details (boots, bracelets, maybe a second head with curly and and the different crown).
    The problem with that? Toy-Glimmer colours + Toon-Glimmer costume = Toon-ANGELLA costume!

[The only structural difference between Toon-Glimmer and Toon-Angella's costumes is, after all, Angella's big collar. Otherwise they wear the same clothes, but Angella's are pink/pale-blue and Glimmer's are lilac/stronger-blue]

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Um, except many of them all had the same face sculpt as She-Ra, so wouldn't that be the same thing?
    true, But Im not talking about the face sculpts, Im talking about the body sculpt/design!

A well sculpted face can be painted any number of ways and be a different character (Barbie,Jem,POP,Bratz etc) but as has been shown with the faithful updates of Teela,Evil Lyn and Goddess-the reuse of body/outfit sculpts is just lazy!

(it works for the three mentioned, but going by TG's edict regarding 'MOTUC based on vintage toys' the POP gang should have varying armor etc just as the vintage Toys did!)

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    The problem with that? Toy-Glimmer colours + Toon-Glimmer costume = Toon-ANGELLA costume!

[The only structural difference between Toon-Glimmer and Toon-Angella's costumes is, after all, Angella's big collar. Otherwise they wear the same clothes, but Angella's are pink/pale-blue and Glimmer's are lilac/stronger-blue]
    I'm not really sure what you're getting at Reboot...

The cartoon outfits are basically the same with wings and a collar:

Toy Angella and Glimmer are very different, but still similar enough to look like mother and daughter outfit-wise:

....and if they do the Filmation design, toy colours and details (boots and cuffs), Glimmer and Angella will look more like this:

The Angella on the right:

So...toy colours and Filmation design would make them look like different people instead of just the same person with a different head. Toy Glimmer is a light purple and Toy Angella is a light pink.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 21, 2010 at 06:18pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm not a fan of the plain bodysuit/leotard sculpt they did on Adora. I hope Glimmer and/or Angella get some more detail, otherwise they're easy passes for me.

I remember when they promised all figures would look "as if they had a vintage MOTU figure", and I want them to stick by that

I know this topic is about Glimmer but I gotta say LICENCE GUIDE ANGELLA ALL THE WAY!

Glimmer's my favorite PoP character/female. I think she's underappreciated (seems like Frosta gets all the love Glimmer deserves ), and I'd like to see her in 2011.

Filmation is the only way I know Glimmer, so I'd prefer she look similar to what she did in the cartoon. Extra details would be good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    true, But Im not talking about the face sculpts, Im talking about the body sculpt/design!

A well sculpted face can be painted any number of ways and be a different character (Barbie,Jem,POP,Bratz etc) but as has been shown with the faithful updates of Teela,Evil Lyn and Goddess-the reuse of body/outfit sculpts is just lazy!

(it works for the three mentioned, but going by TG's edict regarding 'MOTUC based on vintage toys' the POP gang should have varying armor etc just as the vintage Toys did!)

ka
    Looking back, other than pointing out that they all had She-Ra faces, I have no clue why I mentioned it. So I'm not sure exactly what to say now.

Though, even if there were armor reuses, the only people that look similar in the style guide I can think of are Angella and Glimmer, which kinds of makes sense in that it visually ties them together as family. Sort of.

But really, like I said, I have no clue where I was going with that first statement except maybe to remind people... so um... yeah.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

With Angella, I would also like to see a merge of the style guide with toy colors....
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    With Angella, I would also like to see a merge of the style guide with toy colors....
    I -as Always- want the toy colors/influences to be the main Mission statement for POP in MOTUC.

But even with that said, I really prefer the bare legs on Angella over tights! now if they would only utilize the same rubber that they used on Scare Glows cape, so its clear with a slight pink tint, and sculpted with pleats, she could have her vintage harem pants! and its all good!!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I -as Always- want the toy colors/influences to be the main Mission statement for POP in MOTUC.

But even with that said, I really prefer the bare legs on Angella over tights! now if they would only utilize the same rubber that they used on Scare Glows cape, so its clear with a slight pink tint, and sculpted with pleats, she could have her vintage harem pants! and its all good!!
    I agree. Whatever they do though, I 100% want translucent, removable harem pants (made like Scareglow's cape, like you mentioned) and an alternate head.

If they give he blue legs I could repaint them or swap them out for Adora's, but I need the other parts! Grizzlor gets a removable loincloth, so the pants should be a possibility.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

When Glimmer is released, I'd like to see her in the style guide version, but in the toy colors. I think the toy clors look better. Thoughts?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...mmertoyed2.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ictureid=10504
    Yep, these (with their translucenty add-ons) are pretty much the very figures I want from this line (though maybe with a bit more enhanced-but-not-changed-like-Bow details).
    @joshcrawley

I'm not really sure what you're getting at Reboot...

The cartoon outfits are basically the same with wings and a collar:
    So...toy colours and Filmation design would make them look like different people instead of just the same person with a different head. Toy Glimmer is a light purple and Toy Angella is a light pink.
    From what I've seen, toy Glimmer is a light pink. A "toy colours and Filmation design" Glimmer would thus be basically "Filmation colours and Filmation design" Angella with a wingectomy and her daughter's head!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I remember when they promised all figures would look "as if they had a vintage MOTU figure", and I want them to stick by that
    And this is where I come back to a point I made before. Say that the vintage MotU line had continued a bit longer, or the last few waves were a bit different, and they decided to follow up the Sorceress with some She-Ra/Etherian figures, done MotU-style. Which do you think they would have followed more - the "pink box" POP line, or their own "styleguide" (which was, after all, a "this is how you Must depict these characters, tracing if need be" rulebook for licencees)?

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here, but I really preferred the Glimmer action figure to the Filmation variant. She just seemed cooler with all that glitter and silver, which seemed to fit her name as well. She had tons of cool powers in the show BUT lame because she was passing out every 5 seconds due to her powers draining her like a vampire cashier in the 10 items or less checkout line. She also appeared much more mythic in action figure form than in the cartoon. Filmation had her looking like she was going to start aerobicising at any minute. That might've been OK for Olivia Newton-John but not for the heiress apparent to the throne of Bright Moon.
    Last edited by LostIt2Bostik; September 22, 2010 at 10:10am.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

I'm all for Style Guide/FILMation version of Glimmer and the other POP girls. I no connection to the original figures I only watched the show. I really hope the keep the trend of following the SG for POP. Angela and Catra are the two I like the toy look the least, Gilmmer not so bad but still like the SG version better. I don't mind some added detail but I just don't think that the skirts and other cloth items on the vintage figures will translate well to MOTUC. They would for sure not blend with the style of MOTUC. IMO I think She-Ra and Adora look great, and fit in just fine with the rest of classics figures. Now if they were tying to make them as part of the 200X line then yes they are to simple/plain. Ideally they should make 2 versions of the POP girls that were dramatically different from SG to VT.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

I think hybrids would benefit Glimmer & Angela the most. I think the generic chest symbol that they both have on the style guide should be replaced with the more distinctict smbols on the action figures. They should also get their unique boots and bracelets, but seeing how She-Ra was handled, I suspect they'll get generic boots and bracelets that allow the easy sharing of sculpted parts.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Warrior
    As nostalga inspiring as the Filmation looks are, for me I'd prefer what looks better and that metallic silver on Glimmer looks pretty awesome and totally agree with danielsan52 and QuantmEntropyZodak that she looks like she's a "light-wielding warrior clad in mithril" while the filmation costume looks more like she's wearing pajamas/Jazzercise outfit. I would like to keep the filmation hair I think though-but I'm not sure on the tiara. Hope she keeps her cabbage staff.

Angella, I'm more flexible on except for the silly looking matronly "dome" hair do...please have a way to add on a ponytail or an alternate head. Something, please.

I don't remember much from the old mini comics. Are Angella and Glimmer mother and daughter? And is Angella a queen?

From what I've seen, toy Glimmer is a light pink. A "toy colours and Filmation design" Glimmer would thus be basically "Filmation colours and Filmation design" Angella with a wingectomy and her daughter's head!
    Toy Glimmer and Filmation Glimmer are basically the same colour except for her chest piece. Oddly enough, her shoulder pads and pants aren't blue in Filmation. They just look that way because of episode quality. You can see this art cel is gray/silver:

Purple vs. Pink.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 22, 2010 at 01:35pm.

I wouldn't mind Glimmer. The main thing I hope that gets fixed before they start turning out PoP figures is that skirt piece. They need to remake the bottom half of the figure to allow the jumper look. A solid hip/waist that's painted rather than a t-bar covered by a skirt.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I think hybrids would benefit Glimmer & Angela the most. I think the generic chest symbol that they both have on the style guide should be replaced with the more distinctict [sic] smbols [sic] on the action figures.
    So that would mean a Glimmer like this, then?

Toy Glimmer and Filmation Glimmer are basically the same colour except for her chest piece. Oddly enough, her shoulder pads and pants aren't blue in Filmation. They just look that way because of episode quality. You can see this art cel is gray/silver:
    Look up the Pantone Matching System values from the "styleguide" image of Glimmer in this Pantone chart. PMS 292 & 305 are *in no way* silver!

[Trivia fact - the "gold" uniforms on the original Star Trek were actually green, but they showed up an orange-yellow on camera. They're officially "gold" (and the Next Gen ship models look all sorts of bizarre colours under normal lighting). Even if the colour cels were silverish, the results were very definitely blue.]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look up the Pantone Matching System values from the "styleguide" image of Glimmer in this Pantone chart. PMS 292 & 305 are *in no way* silver!

[Trivia fact - the "gold" uniforms on the original Star Trek were actually green, but they showed up an orange-yellow on camera. They're officially "gold" (and the Next Gen ship models look all sorts of bizarre colours under normal lighting). Even if the colour cels were silverish, the results were very definitely blue.]
    Well, they certainly didn't use the Styleguide for the Filmation episodes, seeing as the Styleguide was created in 1986. Also, she wouldn't be pantsless at certain times if they always followed that guide. :

Also, Entrapta on the show was DEFINITELY gray/silver and Glimmer matches her pretty closely on many occasions. The one I posted above is identical and the ones below are pretty close:

I think the blue was a mistake. Even the toy prototypes, all done in Filmation colours, had Glimmer with silver legs:

P.S. Thanks for the PMS chart. That's awesome!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 22, 2010 at 03:12pm.

Well, they certainly didn't use the Styleguide for the Filmation episodes, seeing as the Styleguide was created in 1986.
    I know. You miss my point (and the whole reason I included the Star Trek anacdote) - maybe Glimmer's leggings/etc were originally intended to be grey. Fact is, they aired as blue, and the styleguide acknowledged that reality when it assigned her leggings/etc very definitively blue Pantone codes when recreating the Filmation colours.

[Just as Captain Kirk's jumper was green in real life but gold on-camera, leading all modern recreations - with more accurately graded colours & including the recent movie - of those costumes to acknowledge that fact by matching the colour to the original footage rather than the actual costumes..]

Also, she wouldn't be pantsless at certain times if they always followed that guide. :
    Hey, those are just ol'fashioned cockups and you know it!

[And your Entraptra pic is definitely less blue-of-leg than the Glimmer comparison!]

I think the blue was a mistake. Even the toy prototypes, all done in Filmation colours, had Glimmer with silver legs:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...0h52m35s88.png
    I think it's pretty obvious that, of those, the cartoon model for Glimmer was based NOT on the spangly figure to the left of Catra, but the other one to the left of that one/right of Castaspella. The colours and shape of the costume and tiara - and even, to a certain extent, the shape of the hair - are all close matches to that, and no match at all to the ostensible "Glimmer".
    Last edited by Reboot; September 22, 2010 at 06:36pm.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt236/cosmicfalcon/She-Ra%20Clip%20Art/Entrapta_stand.jpg
    Just wanted to remind everyone that Entrapta is hot, and Glimmer could only hope to look that hot.
    @joshcrawley

I also hope Mattel model the costumes and colours for the POP ladies off the vintage toys. Given the media image of She-Ra is so iconic I like how they chose to make her, but for the other ladies (with the exception of a hybrid design for Catra) I would prefer the toy costume and colours please.

However please pack-in a second animated-esque head/tiara for Glimmer.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I know. You miss my point (and the whole reason I included the Star Trek anacdote) - maybe Glimmer's leggings/etc were originally intended to be grey. Fact is, they aired as blue, and the styleguide acknowledged that reality when it assigned her leggings/etc very definitively blue Pantone codes when recreating the Filmation colours.

[Just as Captain Kirk's jumper was green in real life but gold on-camera, leading all modern recreations - with more accurately graded colours & including the recent movie - of those costumes to acknowledge that fact by matching the colour to the original footage rather than the actual costumes..]

Hey, those are just ol'fashioned cockups and you know it!

[And your Entraptra pic is definitely less blue-of-leg than the Glimmer comparison!]
    You know, I was looking at the U-Matics picture again...and I think Filmation accidentally used Double Trouble's original colours for Glimmer! Blue leggings and chest piece with a dark magenta chest.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Just wanted to remind everyone that Entrapta is hot, and Glimmer could only hope to look that hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    However please pack-in a second animated-esque head/tiara for Glimmer.
    I agree. I would like second heads for all the PoP gals who have different hairstyles and such like: Glimmer, Angella, Sweet Bee, etc. That would be so awesome.

I think it's pretty obvious that, of those, the cartoon model for Glimmer was based NOT on the spangly figure to the left of Catra, but the other one to the left of that one/right of Castaspella. The colours and shape of the costume and tiara - and even, to a certain extent, the shape of the hair - are all close matches to that, and no match at all to the ostensible "Glimmer".
    Sprangly isn't a word...so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Anyhoo...that's Double Trouble. I don't see how Filmation Glimmer's hair is like her's though: coming out of a small spout out of the top of her helmet in a thin, black ponytail going down to her feet.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 22, 2010 at 06:43pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost