Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    You know, I was looking at the U-Matics picture again...and I think Filmation accidentally used Double Trouble's original colours for Glimmer! Blue leggings and chest piece with a dark magenta chest.
    Yup. I just did what you've occasionally done to me, and edited that in as you posted (although I didn't know that was Double Trouble).

Seriously, it ain't just the colours - the design of the chestplate, shoulderpads, tiara and even the poker-straight hair are all matches for 'toon-Glimmer and not for toy-Glimmer. Only the silver boots and black hair seriously diverge from the 'toon-Glimmer design, and the shape of those in the toon-model are still closer to the DT prototype.

EDIT:
    Sprangly isn't a word...so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
    Typo. I meant spangly.

Anyhoo...that's Double Trouble. I don't see how Filmation Glimmer's hair is like her's though: coming out of a small spout out of the top of her helmet in a thin, black ponytail going down to her feet.
    Look at it on a "flat" plane from the front. The tiara is flat on 'toon-Glimmer's face, so [deliberately mis]read the "helmet" as a flat tiara, and you end up with round-topped straight, loose hair.

[I didn't say it was identical, but given the toon's interpretation of the "Double Trouble tiara", a bad reference pic could lead to that conclusion...]
    Last edited by Reboot; September 22, 2010 at 06:48pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Yup. I just did what you've occasionally done to me, and edited that in as you posted (although I didn't know that was Double Trouble).

Seriously, it ain't just the colours - the design of the chestplate, shoulderpads, tiara and even the poker-straight hair are all matches for 'toon-Glimmer and not for toy-Glimmer. Only the silver boots and black hair seriously diverge from the 'toon-Glimmer design, and the shape of those in the toon-model are still closer to the DT prototype.

EDIT:

Typo. I meant spangly.
    Oh, okay. That makes sense.

Look at it on a "flat" plane from the front. The tiara is flat on 'toon-Glimmer's face, so [deliberately mis]read the "helmet" as a flat tiara, and you end up with round-topped straight, loose hair.

[I didn't say it was identical, but given the toon's interpretation of the "Double Trouble tiara", a bad reference pic could lead to that conclusion...][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can see that. It's weird though. Maybe they purposely combined the designs and got the Glimmer we saw in the cartoon?

She has no cape, black hair. It's just weird.

Anyway, here's the final Double Trouble toy. Her helmet is different from the prototype with an added necklace:

Concept art:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I really want Glimmer to be as close to Filmation as possible...

I also hated the curls as a kid cos it wasnt anything like the cartoon.

Still that said...Glimmer was my first ever She-ra figure as a kid and I got her in 1985 even before I got She-ra and Swiftwind.
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/home_news/vlcsnap-2009-11-23-20h52m35s88.png
    You know, I was looking at the U-Matics picture again...and I think Filmation accidentally used Double Trouble's original colours for Glimmer! Blue leggings and chest piece with a dark magenta chest.

[...]

Anyhoo...that's Double Trouble. I don't see how Filmation Glimmer's hair is like her's though: coming out of a small spout out of the top of her helmet in a thin, black ponytail going down to her feet.

[...]

[I didn't say it was identical, but given the toon's interpretation of the "Double Trouble tiara", a bad reference pic could lead to that conclusion...]
    Wow, that's kind of creepy. Other than the hair, I can completely see how prototype Double Trouble very highly influenced cartoon Glimmer.

From here on out, I'm just going to assume that's how those developed the way they did.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Just wanted to remind everyone that Entrapta is hot, and Glimmer could only hope to look that hot.
    It's the mini-skirt!

That's why Angella needs the harem pants!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I think the thing that bothers me about Glimmer is that she seems to have a very nebulous concept. Her toy figure was obviously intended for a different role than her Filmation personality had. She has a name associating to light, but doesn't really have that as part of her design, and she carries that plant-looking staff...

I don't know, she just feels like kind of a random mish-mash of things with that weird costume and the name/powers.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Ive heard that they never used Double Trouble in the cartoon, so maybe the Filmation people decided to use her proto colors for glimmer instead. It sorta makes sense. And in the Proto pics, Glimmers legs are obviously 'Glittery' so she actually would have Glimmered! Maybe they couldnt successfully manufacture glitter paint apps in 1985!

I just love that DT was a Evil Warrior at the design stage. As a kid I always saw her as the 'Evil' Man E Faces, and she pretended to be nice to spy on She Ra!

I would love to know the reasoning behind her being whitewashed into a 'Goodie'! It seems filmation decided that no actual POP figs should be Evil (with the exception of Catra and Entrapta) so instead of using the obvious 'Evil' attributed dolls (Spinnerella,Netossa,Castaspella,Frosta) they opted to create 'EVIL' females -Scorpia,Shadowweaver,Octavia etc!

It does however echo the problem 'JEM' had in that the 'Evil' Misfits dolls were left on the shelves because parents didnt like buying Evil looking dolls for lil girls! Ive spoken to many Jem collectors who clearly remember their Moms saying no to Misfits dolls because they looked 'Nasty' -Particularly Pizzazz. Im sure Mattel were aware of the reticence, so made Catra 'Jealous Beauty' instead of 'Evil Jealous Beauty'.

But in my Canon the aforementioned POP characters are Evil to their cores! and always will be

ka
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; September 22, 2010 at 09:44pm.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Her toy figure was obviously intended for a different role than her Filmation personality had. She has a name associating to light, but doesn't really have that as part of her design, and she carries that plant-looking staff...

I don't know, she just feels like kind of a random mish-mash of things with that weird costume and the name/powers.
    Glimmer is the Guide that Lights the way. Her tiara and staff glow in the dark. I believe the flower in the staff is based on the Morning Glory flower that blooms...in the morning. First light.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Ive heard that they never used Double Trouble in the cartoon, so maybe the Filmation people decided to use her proto colors for glimmer instead.
    She's not officially in the cartoon, but many people believe Adora's friend in the Horde (Lohni) was supposed to be Double Trouble.

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Good call on the morning glory flower, Dark. I would have never thought about that. Your analyses of the figures and their designs always astonish me, my friend. You're a true expert!!
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Good call on the morning glory flower, Dark. I would have never thought about that. Your analyses of the figures and their designs always astonish me, my friend. You're a true expert!!
    Thanks Arthur. It was good to have a smile today.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I'm with you Arthur! Darkspecter's contribution to discussion of the POP characters, toyline and cartoon, is fantastic, always informative and adds much appreciated colour to this board. What an amazing image library Dark must have!

I never saw the POP toon as a kid - only last few years in fact - so I always appreciate the extra info Dark and some of the other 'Ravers provide.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

So that would mean a Glimmer like this, then?

http://he-man.org/forums/boards/atta...1&d=1285180911
    Well, I'd want the blues to be metallic, and I think the chest piece should be smaller and mostly metallic blue, but yeah, I'd be cool with that, mostly.

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Two with add-ons, and Glimmer with a different wig. You guys know she's bald under that headpiece right? That's why the toy had curly hair and the toon had straight....different wigs.

Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella_Steve View Post
    Glimmer is probably the only character I prefer her filmation look, well her and Angella.

I do love her staff tho. I think it will look amazing in classics style/scale
    OMG!!! You are kidding right? You used to say you only wanted the toy versions of everyone, that's why I did my redesigns the way I did them. Ug you just keep being more and more someone I never knew.
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Glimmer is the Guide that Lights the way. Her tiara and staff glow in the dark. I believe the flower in the staff is based on the Morning Glory flower that blooms...in the morning. First light.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rea_2400px.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ory_2500px.jpg
    I would have to (very politely, of course) disagree. While I can't find a good source (maybe it was one of the mini-comics?), the flower staff -- I thought -- was supposed to be a rose. Though the rationale for the morning glory does make sense.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    After seeing Adora and She-ra I really hope somebody starts putting more detail into the POP girls. While i have no complaints about the simplified animation look in filmation (i actually love it) but it really makes the pop girls not fit in with the Motu toys. It's as if they are two lines. Adora and She-ra would look great next to a Filmation Teela, but not so much next to Toy Teela.

So it's a hard decision, because i would love to own straight up Filmation version of everyone, Evil-lyn and Teela included, i can see how the pop girls might look bland next to the toys. Am i making any sense?

Edit: I would love a fully clear Glimmer kinda like Invisible girl from Marvel.
    Well said!
    http://decorvo.mybrute.com

Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.

Wish list; http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166721

I want Glimmer directally after Bow on the POP hero side. I am constantly supprised with all the Frosta (and other) love in who should come first.

Frankly since she is so important, she'll come later if they follow the "spread it out" but since Frosta (though cool) is supprisingly the most popular POP hero around here, maybe Glimmer will come sooner, with Frosta comming later.

Glimmer always got the short shaft, and filmation made her for me. I'd love to see her shine. I always felt bad because a lifelong enemy (adora) totally ursurps everything Glimmer has, with the exception of being Angela's daughter.

'Course it could just have been Linda Gary's voice. I loved Glimmer. The toy, (as I feel most of those toys...ok, all of them) were hideous.

I cant wait to see them "made good" throught he Classics lense. Did wonders for She-Ra and Bow.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Toy Glimmer and Filmation Glimmer are basically the same colour except for her chest piece. Oddly enough, her shoulder pads and pants aren't blue in Filmation. They just look that way because of episode quality.
    Now, I realise we went over the "Toon-Glimmer was probably based on Proto-Double Trouble" after this (and after I posted the "styleguide" image), but since I just found the Filmation colour guide for the animators on old.he-man.org there while looking for something else, I thought I may as well bump the thread to sink this idea once and for all:

According to my eyedropper tool, those legs and shoulder pads are around #6696da (R:40%,G:59%,B:85%) - a very definite blue - and the torso around #8c4c97 (R:55%;G:30%;B:59%) - a definite purple-lilac. Not silver & pink.

Heroic Warrior
    Um...her hand placement seems a bit strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    Um...her hand placement seems a bit strange.
    lol
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

I really dislike the blue-and-pink tights look. She looks like a dancer, not a heroine. And the colors clash. Silver and pink is at least more bearable.

For me, the Filmation colours gave Castaspella, Glimmer and Angella more interesting looks - they certainly incorporated a wider range of colours than the toy counterparts.

I have a theory that Mattel wanted each sub-female (ie, not She-Ra or Catra) from the first wave to bear a slightly different shade as a toy and thus stand out as different to consumers - for example, Frosta is blue, Double Trouble is green, Castaspella is yellow, Glimmer is mauve and Angella pink.

Who knows what Mattel is thinking? They've stated the MOTUC POP characters will be based on their toy colours, but that the 4HM make the creative design choices ultimately. She-Ra and Bow seem much more based on their Style Guide outfits, but I think Catra, Castaspella, Angella or Glimmer will seal the deal on this once and for all. I personally want Style Guide colours like most fans here - they're more iconic and easily recognisable and I feel the colour schemes fit in better with other MOTUC figures. Having said that, I'd still like to see the toy-coloured versions released as variants at some stage or have Glimmer and Angella released with two separate heads.

...although Glimmer's toy head is somewhat like Spinnerella's toy head...so maybe the straight hair is a better option...?
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    I just want a 2nd head for Angella with the hair down or in a ponytail, I don't care either way about the rest of it. I can live with Glimmer either way but the metallic with Filmation hair would be pretty cool.

She seems pretty simple, so I think we'll see her sooner than later.

Well, they certainly didn't use the Styleguide for the Filmation episodes, seeing as the Styleguide was created in 1986. Also, she wouldn't be pantsless at certain times if they always followed that guide. :

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...gattention.jpg

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...9&d=1248586908

Also, Entrapta on the show was DEFINITELY gray/silver and Glimmer matches her pretty closely on many occasions. The one I posted above is identical and the ones below are pretty close:

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...apta_stand.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...er_sitting.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...oomballoon.jpg

I think the blue was a mistake. Even the toy prototypes, all done in Filmation colours, had Glimmer with silver legs:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...0h52m35s88.png

P.S. Thanks for the PMS chart. That's awesome!
    Hey cool, I'm so glad folks are putting clip art from my Photobucket site to good use
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/