Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Her tiara and staff from the toy glow in the dark!!

they are actually more Green-glowing than white.

There were a couple of books/records/tapes that talked about the Jewell of light, and how it needed exposure to the sun or moonlight to "charge," which were clever ways of incorporating the practical need to charge the glowing pieces that came with the toy.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I mean...using her power takes a LOT out of her and she can only use it for like...5-10 minutes...then she basically passes out. A translucent variant of her would be really cool though!
    Ahhhh Like the Sorceress then!

Actually I have no real opinion on Glimmer. She's one of the main characters in PoP but I never liked her much. She-ra, Adora, Bow, Catra, Frosta, are the ones I'm looking forward to. Angela if the wings look truly Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Her tiara and staff from the toy glow in the dark!!

they are actually more Green-glowing than white.

There were a couple of books/records/tapes that talked about the Jewell of light, and how it needed exposure to the sun or moonlight to "charge," which were clever ways of incorporating the practical need to charge the glowing pieces that came with the toy.
    Oh, those clever Matty reps of 1985!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

LoL!

I just charged the staff and tiara and tried to take a pic in the closet (the only dark place), but the camera doesn't pic the glow up at all... I know that phosphorous doesn't appear on film if you're in the dark (if you take pics of the "glowing" things in rides at Disney World, they don't appear glowing, it's the black light that does it). I wonder if phosphorous was used in the mix to make her pieces glow? But then, you wouldn't need to charge them, and you'd need a black light, so I'm not sure.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

"ToyGuru the Ancient" is refusing to give up his secrets...

Glimmer is probably the only character I prefer her filmation look, well her and Angella.

I do love her staff tho. I think it will look amazing in classics style/scale

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I agree that the Filmation look is boring, and that the character needs more of an edge bio-wise. She was developed like a child in the cartoon, which was useful for the series, but not so much for the long-term sense of the character. Had there been an MYP Glimmer, she probably wouldn't have been a liability for the Rebellion (Glimmer was ALWAYS getting in trouble).

The staff is a must. It contains the Jewell of Light, which, in some media, gave her the powers of light, or at least boosted them.

The staff and tiara HAVE to glow. She should come with two heads: style guide (which is the Filmation one) & and toy one (molded curly hair with different tiara). I like the idea of transluscent or metallic-painted parts. Glitter-paint, though probably considered too "girly" by some, would work well with this figure, as might pearlized paint.

I'd like to see a combo of the toy and style guide costume.
    GITD stuff, Pearlized finish (even if it's a bit glittery and "girly") would go well with Glimmer. Kinda like the Edward Cullen Barbie Doll... I like how he Sparkles... Glimmer should out sparkle Edward...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

I like the transluscent plastic idea!

I cannot wait for Glimmer! I am easily as excited for her, Frosta, and Bow (and really, almost any POP characters) as I am for figures like Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, and Ram Man! I am quite anxious for her Bio as well. She was actually pretty powerful!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

I'm pretty sure Glimmer, Kowl and Bow are dead certs. Probably with at least 2 over the next couple of years

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Would she need a second head? Why not just make the hair wavy, sort of in-between? Without Filmation rights, they couldn't do the toon head details, or lack thereof.
    Wavy Hair!? That sounds like Hyper Detailed Anime style.. Therefore NO!! BWAHAHAHA!

Honestly my favorite look for Glimmer is the first picture in the first post as well as Emiliano's works from the DVD sets. I really enjoyed the art in those. As well as the show. I'm not familiar enough with the style guide to know how close to filmation we can get.. But I'd perfer a Glimmer as close to filmation as possible.

I'd say Glimmer is the POP character I want the most.. on the hero's side anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I like the transluscent plastic idea!
    If its going to be a goddess 2.0 then count me out, I cannot take paying $20 for a figure that crumbles to pieces

I would much rather have them paint it a pearl color than do transluscent
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Wavy hair and wind blown hair are two totally different things. Even 'though her hair was rooted, the original Glimmer had wavy hair (that was how she was packed) so there is no reason this one can't have it too.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

I'd like Glimmer to be a cross between the figure and filmation version. I can't believe how different she looked in the cartoon versus the toy. I thought that the cartoons were supposed to promote the toys. How can they do that when they look nothing alike.

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, I'd prefer a version of Glimmer that would be influenced by the Filmation version. But PLEASE no hole in the forehead !

About translucent plastic: it is a VERY BAD IDEA. We saw what translucent plastic meant with the Goddess : britle plastic, bad quality and breakable figures ! So sorry, but NO translucent plastic for Glimmer ! Plus, Glimmer has normal skin, be it in the toon or in the 80's POP line.

(By the way, Toyguru and Mattel STILL didn't send anyone to China to fix the quality control issues, so I guess we'll continue to get inferior quality figures...).

I'd like to see a Catra figure released before Glimmer.

Yeah I'd prefer non-translucent plastic for Glimmer please. I've avoided getting Goddess because of all the problems she's been reported as having and would hate to avoid Glimmer as well for having the same potential problems in the future.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Maybe we should start this thread over at Matty, so we know TG and co are seeing it!

and Im firmly on the side of Vintage figure features, the armor and Tiara especially, I really dont want a purple Adora, and lets face it, if they can get away with minimal new tooling ..........THEY WILL!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; April 11, 2010 at 08:41pm.
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but I might like to see her cast in some semi-translucent plastic like The Goddess was. So maybe, like, the blue or purple parts of her are transparent plastic, and the rest are paint apps. Might give a little visual pizazz to what looks like a pretty generic character design.
    This is a fantastic idea IMO. blue/purple translucent plastic for arms, torso and head would really make Glimmer stand out. As Darkspecter said, it might be best if Mattel did a 50/50 release for such a figure, available for sale separately but released at the same time as they did with Moss Man. Subscription figure could be normal plastic version.

Glimmer is one of those characters where I think 2 heads are required.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    This is a fantastic idea IMO. blue/purple translucent plastic for arms, torso and head would really make Glimmer stand out. As Darkspecter said, it might be best if Mattel did a 50/50 release for such a figure, available for sale separately but released at the same time as they did with Moss Man. Subscription figure could be normal plastic version.

Glimmer is one of those characters where I think 2 heads are required.
    Well, that would certainly be a fantastic way for Mattel to really make some money off her sculpt! I would buy two of both. And the translucent version would probably be one of the rarest figures to find later on, since some of the fan community doesn't care much for POP.

I do want to see Glimmer soon as well as some of the other princess characters, but in either her Filmation or toy look she was not one of the more dramatic costume designs so I think they need to throw a little pudding on the fruit to amp her up. Mabey they could package a little loo-kee figure with her, or alt. heads one filmation hair and one toy Shirley Temple curls style. Anyway she does need to be done cause my rebellion is not complete without her. Oh and as a kid it freaked me out her momma had wings and she didn't, wierd.

I'm in the Filmation camp all of the way on Glimmer. The toy always looked too bulky to me with the big hair and shoulder pads. She was one of the few from the first two POP waves that I did not have back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Well, that would certainly be a fantastic way for Mattel to really make some money off her sculpt! I would buy two of both. And the translucent version would probably be one of the rarest figures to find later on, since some of the fan community doesn't care much for POP.
    If Glimmer came packed with 2 heads and a 50/50 normal/translucent plastic split, I may have to get 3 of each. That's 3 extra sales for same body sculpt right there.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    I'd like Glimmer to be a cross between the figure and filmation version. I can't believe how different she looked in the cartoon versus the toy. I thought that the cartoons were supposed to promote the toys. How can they do that when they look nothing alike.
    The filmation MOTU was pretty consistant in its depiction of the characters, they looked a LOT more like the toys, but the POP characters were miles away from the toys, in a weird way they really dulled down the looks of the characters for the show, which is strange because youd think theyd have a ball with all the cool armor and so on!

I truly dont want a collection of multi colored Adoras, and thats what we will get if they do the style guide versions. The vintage toys are far more exotic and interesting
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

In retrospect, Filmation, did tend to oversimplify the POP characters. Glimmer was one of the biggest victims of this oversimplification. With the exceptions of Catra and Castapella, I always preferred the action figures to the cartoon versions. Here's hoping that Glimmer looks more like the figure than the Filmation version.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

For Glimmer, I want to see a combination of the two looks, with two different heads. I'd like to see a light metallic blue used on her legs - it would compromise between the two looks. I'd like them to start bring out more details from the vintage figures. It makes no sense for the Teela outfit to be so detailed from the cardback illustration, and to so so simple with the POP characters.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by LostIt2Bostik View Post
    In retrospect, Filmation, did tend to oversimplify the POP characters. Glimmer was one of the biggest victims of this oversimplification. With the exceptions of Catra and Castapella, I always preferred the action figures to the cartoon versions. Here's hoping that Glimmer looks more like the figure than the Filmation version.
    Yes, she was! I used to refer to her as "Glimmer, the Idiot" because of the voice acting and the plots where she behaved like a child. Of course, that worked well for Filmation because of it's target audience. But they could have had the tact to make it appealing to adults, since it was a given that in 25 years it would be being watched again by adults in their 30's!