Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I find it odd that the SDCC slide presentation chose to emphasize the toy's chest. It's like they couldn't think of anything to show off otherwise- face shot, staff tip, and boobs. No close up of her crystal, just boobs. Maybe they were showing off the armor sculpt? But they've not really done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I find it odd that the SDCC slide presentation chose to emphasize the toy's chest. It's like they couldn't think of anything to show off otherwise- face shot, staff tip, and boobs. No close up of her crystal, just boobs. Maybe they were showing off the armor sculpt? But they've not really done that before.
    I was laughing out loud and told my boyfriend about it the minute i saw that slide!!! Such a weird idea!

But if you ask me, she has the biggest developed chest area from all the females in the line not even Shadow weaver can compare with her! Maybe they were proud of their sculpt ?!

And she looks amazing from ever angle if you ask me.

Here are some more pictures from thefwoosh:

Last edited by Niki; July 21, 2013 at 11:55am.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    I still can't quite believe that we're finally getting Glimmer.

Only Madame Razz and Queen Angella remain and we'll be able to complete "The Great Rebellion" from the opening titles of the Filmation cartoon! Although, I'm also looking forward to all the other rebels, including Mermista, Double Trouble, Peekablue, Sweet Bee and Flutterina!

She really does look perfect. I'm looking forward to her joining the ranks! Simply a beautiful face sculpt.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Finally! What a relief seeing her was, amiright?! Glimmer? More like Glamour!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Over in the thread about not subbing, another member said something about Glimmer not fitting in with the aesthetics of the line. I find this statement pretty interesting and a few members have commented on it and weighed their opinion, but I'd like to read more without clogging up that thread. Here's what was said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Fang Man is a great example of creative use of tooling, for sure.

My problem with Fang Man (and many others in the wake of the Filmation/PoP floodgates opening) is the incongruous tone he represents that we were promised wasn't going to be an issue with this line since the 4H were handling everything.

Visually and stylistically, the line has a horribly fractured tone across the board, and when you're convincing (forcing) collectors to be completist, that becomes a major problem.

Yes, Glimmer is a fine recreation of the Filmation look, but it simply doesn't match the aesthetic established by Teela, Man-At-Arms, Battle Cat, Beast Man, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMarvel fan View Post
    I'm interested in this, could you share more on how she doesn't fit the aesthetic? I think she fits better than say Marzo or Dactus, or even the large four-armed guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's the Pre-Filmation era barbarian detail. Teela's detail rich leotard has more detail than Glimmer's entire figure.

Procrustus is the most MOTU-looking out of Marzo, Dactus or Glimmer, even retaining a rocky version of the trademark MOTU underwear. To be fair, Glimmer, Dactus and Marzo all come from different stylistic eras than those early MOTU characters. If Mattel had used the Filmation cels as influence, the Vintage characters would be just as under detailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I can see what Lay Ze-Man is saying... think of it in terms of She-Ra. Her 1.0 release vs. her 2.0 update. Surely you can see how the little extra attention to the details (BP She-Ra's bracelets, the imprint on her boots, the ability to turn at the waist, the slit in the skirt so she can move her legs, etc etc) is a major improvement upon the She-Ra (which was incredibly SIMPLE and bland) that had come out like a year before. I think what he's saying is, you put this Glimmer next to Teela, and they don't quite look like they're from the same line. Even Castaspella has more detailing and overall "ooomph!" than Glimmer, even if Glimmer is more of a "main character" in the old series. Not all of the figures are enjoying the same level of details and care... so it's that which makes a figure like Glimmer, to MOTU fans who AREN'T fans of every little corner of the He-Man & She-Ra universe, look rather underwhelming as a slot in the line-up. If I didn't know her from the vintage toy line, if I grew up collecting He-Man, but not She-Ra... I too would see her in the SDCC reveals and go "oh." Fans of PoP are ecstatic to have her finally. But her execution isn't exactly wowing non-believers, if that makes sense.

So what do you think: does Glimmer fit in with the line's aesthetics?

I think Glimmer would make a fantastic Sorceress of Grayskull. I never really understood why Teela was the one chosen...is it because she is a copy of Teela Na?

She's princess of brightmoon. Though it would be awesome if the sorceress role was like sorcerer supreme and a worthy bearer could be found any where.

I think she's a nice figure, and I will be excited to get her. Her face sculpt is very nice, and I love that she got her vintage staff.

That said, I do feel like most of the POP figures are lacking in detail. I would love to see them rendered in as much detail as Teela and Evil-Lyn received. Whether that detail would come from the vintage figures or some new design ideas, I would have just liked to see more tooling on them. Some of them have turned out blander than I think they could have been.

Over in the thread about not subbing, another member said something about Glimmer not fitting in with the aesthetics of the line. I find this statement pretty interesting and a few members have commented on it and weighed their opinion, but I'd like to read more without clogging up that thread. Here's what was said:

So what do you think: does Glimmer fit in with the line's aesthetics?
    Having seen her in person at SDCC, she fits in perfectly. I think the 200x characters fit in the least. I've held Casta in my hands, Shokoti, and was inches from Glimmer. They fit in just fine, of the three the one that fits in least is Shokoti.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Having seen her in person at SDCC, she fits in perfectly. I think the 200x characters fit in the least. I've held Casta in my hands, Shokoti, and was inches from Glimmer. They fit in just fine, of the three the one that fits in least is Shokoti.
    I agree. she fits in just fine, and I say that as someone who hasn't held her. I really don't understand why people think she doesn't fit in.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Some folks are into SOME Aspects of MOTU like say pre-filmation and detest other stuff that doesn't fit with their version of MOTU.
    Yes, I'd prefer if she had removable Toy elements Like her Skirt and larger pauldrons (and an extra head with curls) but that she's as plain as her Filmation version, I must Disagree!
    Yes, she's lacking a super detailed bodice like Teela... Um, He-Man's one of the least detailed figures in the line.

In any case I can't wait for her to adorn my shrine... Shelf!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

My problem with Fang Man (and many others in the wake of the Filmation/PoP floodgates opening) is the incongruous tone he represents...
    I completely see what you're saying here - and I agree. Put Marzo, Fang Man and Glimmer next to each other and you've got some serious discrepancies between them. But. BUT! He-Man has enjoyed several incarnations and fans have reacted positively to the 4H approach of detailing muscles and so on. For the She-Ra characters, there really isn't a variety of looks to choose from or meld. It's the vintage line and Filmation. That's it. And it's pretty universally agreed that the Filmation look of the characters is better recognized and enjoyed than that of the toys (with certain exceptions - I'm looking at you Peekablue!) So...could they have put more vintage style into this Glimmer? Sure. Could they have made her look more 'edgy' to try and get her looking more like Teela or Man-At-Arms? Maybe. But as a huge She-Ra fan, I'm really, really glad they didn't. This is the 1st Glimmer figure that looks very close to what we saw on the show! We've been waiting 20+ years now for a toy like that, so it's the best choice.

And the same can be said of Adora, She-Ra, Castaspella, Catra, etc, etc, etc. What we had in the '80s didn't look too much like what was on the show. I'm glad Mattel is smart enough to put the Filmation look first. The next time they make She-Ra toys, they can get more experimental with Glimmer, if they really feel the need.

Yes, Glimmer is a fine recreation of the Filmation look, but it simply doesn't match the aesthetic established by Teela, Man-At-Arms, Battle Cat, Beast Man, etc.
    Allow me to point out that Glimmer does NOT look like a total recreation of the Filmation look, face-wise. She looks extremely generic here, and lacks the wide eyes, button nose and fuller cheeks the character had on the show. All the POP girls in this line look like Angelina Jolie. The 4H aren't terribly faithful to the Filmation subtleties.

Why so serious, Glimmer?

I don't mind the stern look really. She certainly was overdue.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    Why so serious, Glimmer?

I don't mind the stern look really. She certainly was overdue.
    Yeah, this definitely looks like an older and more mature Glimmer than any other incarnation has portrayed her. I'm all for it. I like a Glimmer that lost both her parents to the Horde, has the power of light(in every way, shape, and form), and is looking to wipe the Horde off of Etheria. I don't want a Glimmer who wants to decorate for birthday parties.

I think a happy medium could have been achieved. It would be nice to see a happy-looking POP girl. The Star Sisters were almost smiling, but I had no interest in them. Glimmer could have/should have been grinning a bit.

And wider eyes do not necessarily mean she wants to decorate a party. You can still pose her gutting a Horde Trooper if you really want to

Heroic Warrior
    I would have been happy to see Glimmer with a smile.

Not a huge, scary looking smile. But, something simple and modest. The best example I can think of is DC Direct's "Cassie as Wonder Girl" action figure. It's just a nice, friendly smile which could also be interpreted as a mischievous smile of triumph in the heat of battle.

I'm really quite enjoying these POP females. I've wanted Glimmer for awhile like most of you. I like the crystal ball. But again her "flower" staff doesn't exude any sort of intimidation whatsoever. Now I also want Queen Angella. But I tell you what. Castaspella really took me by surprise. Her sculpt(face) is amazing.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Glimmer isn't supposed to blend with MOTU. Etheria was a different world with its own fantasy look prior to the Horde. This is one thing about POP- take a girl cartoon fantasy kingdom such as Rainbow Brite or My Little Pony... then have the Nazis march in and invade. It was a very unique way to shake up the normal setup for such a series. You had what amounted to pastel-colored fantasy characters forced to go up against something very dark and unlike anything they knew.

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Am I the only one wondering where her shield is? Will she be the first PoP female (aside from the Star Sisters) who doesn't have a shield? That's crazy! Maybe in a weapons pack...along with a mask for Netossa... LOL
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Am I the only one wondering where her shield is? Will she be the first PoP female (aside from the Star Sisters) who doesn't have a shield? That's crazy! Maybe in a weapons pack...along with a mask for Netossa... LOL
    There hasn't been any talk about her shield, i don't think. We could very well be getting one but it wasn't ready for SDCC.

Good catch - didn't even notice her lack of shield. Frankly, it doesn't bother me - the shields are all so boring, aren't they? But still...the ball? Really? It's a plastic marble. None of her accessories wow me at all, but I'm just glad to see her included.

I really wanted her to come with a second head- with curly hair. But I also remember as a kid working really hard to straighten her hair so it would be more like on the show.

I need another shield like I need another telemarketer phone call. Glimmer is one of my all time requested figures, and if I can be okay without it...
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I really wanted her to come with a second head- with curly hair. But I also remember as a kid working really hard to straighten her hair so it would be more like on the show.
    I totally did that too
    A PONY!!!

"I am a new breed of doll. Psycho baby doll gone wrong, tool belt with a lollipop, curling iron, kalashnikov..."