Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Glimmer Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Adora View Post
    Perhaps I've missed something, and if so I apologize in advance. I was under the impression that it had been decided that all the pop girls where going to come with their own version of the She-ra shield. I've noticed Glimmer doesn't have one in any of her pictures. Is this something I made up in my head, after Casta and Frosta being released with shields, since they didn't have shields in their original toy line or was it really stated that they would come with shields and Glimmer just doesn't have one?
    I also remember them saying or at least implying that would be the case...but the shields are all the same and so tiny that I don't see their appeal, honestly. I can live without them.

This "cover mistakes with a skirt" idea does not fly with me. Why is the mistake even being made??!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I really have to echo this sentiment. If the design team can't look at the existing pictures of the Horsemen's version and then the figure shown at Power Con and see the difference, then I am left wondering, quite bluntly, what these folks are doing in that particular line of work...

Seriously, TG's request for pictures is absolutely ludicrous in this instance. Asking for them when discussing things with the folks oversees making the pictures makes sense, as a picture can't be mistranslated. But, unless the design team speaks Klingon or some language that has been dead for centuries, I can't see why, "Look at the pictures of the figure made by the Horsemen and shape the crotch piece like that" is somehow not sufficient. They HAVE the visual reference needed and being referred to here, and, I believe, from multiple angles between Mattel's own photos and the dozens taken and posted on the net. It's ridiculous to imply that the folks involved would need more than that, especially given that the very people we speak of had to have actually had physical possession of the prototype at some point to do their design jobs.
    I agree that design at Mattel seems extremely non-suited to the role, BUT...I give Scott credit for asking for pics.

Why?

Because if you read the thread, and this one, you see that using words to talk about this, people are using the same terminology but are talking about different things. For example, the whole "granny panty" nonsense - from people that don't want the skirts, and apparently don't know what a granny panty is so they refer to it as that. (In fact, all these discussions make me realize that a lot of straight men don't know anything about female undergarments or lady parts, LOL.)

I get your point, and in general I agree. At this point there is zero credibility, people just put up with it to get the remaining figures. But I do think asking for pics in this case was a good idea, so people could show exactly what it is they are looking for. In doing so, they have shown that different folks want different things, though - but most agree that Glimmer's current "skirt" isn't great, but then again I think there are a lot of us who think other females have been well done lately (Octavia, etc.) and don't think it's some terrible issue that every female has. Glimmer is markedly different than her prototype, though - and since she really has a jumpsuit-type outfit, the little skirt just doesn't make much sense.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    Because if you read the thread, and this one, you see that using words to talk about this, people are using the same terminology but are talking about different things. For example, the whole "granny panty" nonsense - from people that don't want the skirts, and apparently don't know what a granny panty is so they refer to it as that. (In fact, all these discussions make me realize that a lot of straight men don't know anything about female undergarments or lady parts, LOL.)
    For the skirt question in general, I would agree, but not in this case. Dozens of pictures potentially showing different views and fixes are no clearer than dozens of differing verbal descriptions. In this particular case, the point being made by the majority of folks is, "we want it like the prototype you showed us." I'm having a hard time seeing how anything could be clearer, considering all these folks are referring to the exact same prototype figure shown at SDCC. That's about as common a frame of reference as I think is possible here. One set of consistent pictures from multiple angles that Mattel already has in its possession is far easier to use as reference than loads of random pics showing who knows how many ways the skirt could be done.

All TG's request can do is give Mattel an excuse to say they can't figure out what we are asking for or to use a few random outlier photos to "prove" that what we have coming now is what we asked for. It can do little but confuse a situation that seems quite clear right now.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Court Magician
    I was under the impression all MOTUC POP figures were to come with a repainted shield as well. I'm a big fan of the vintage toy styles, including these shields with all the POP ladies is a nice nod to that era. Along with little details like the vintage toy wrist cuff and boot design and the inclusion of her flower staff / wand , added extras like a simple repainted shiled are what make MOTUC worth shelling out my $40 for. Hopefully one will be included with her in the end. If I'm remembering correctly , Frosta's shield wasn't revealed when she was initially shown either , so I'm holding out hope. As for the crotch issue ( there's just no nice way to say that ) I'd like to see it look more like Marlena's did , but even Adora's "granny panties" weren't something I noticed until I read others post about it here. It's a small detail, the shield not being shown is of far greater concern to me. Neither are a total deal breaker for me though - all and all I think Glimmer is shaping up to be my be favorite POP figure. Worst case scenario I will doctor up the skirt with the trusty exacto knife and get an extra shield to customize. I'm thinking a purple base coat with metallic blue detailing and a yellow stone to match the staff would look best. MOTUC has deffinitley forced me to learn how to custom paint, especially the POP ladies. How would everyone else like to see Glimmer's shield executed ?

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    Thanks guys for the info guys.
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    A friend posted this on Facebook. He basically called Toyguru bluff reg. the fact that somehow, Queen Marlena's pants -which are great and made by Mattel - would not work on the twist waist female. See for yourself but this is pretty much what we've been clamoring for ever since Adora came out. If Mattel could do it once, why can't we have it for all females that wear leotard? Yes you can see the peg if you turn the leg a bit, but so can you on the male figures.

DSC_0636_zps9a862bc9.jpgimage_zps48754280.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    A friend posted this on Facebook. He basically called Toyguru bluff reg. the fact that somehow, Queen Marlena's pants -which are great and made by Mattel - would not work on the twist waist female. See for yourself but this is pretty much what we've been clamoring for ever since Adora came out. If Mattel could do it once, why can't we have it for all females that wear leotard? Yes you can see the peg if you turn the leg a bit, but so can you on the male figures.

DSC_0636_zps9a862bc9.jpgimage_zps48754280.jpg

Ouch!

And thank you, maybe you should post that at Mattys forum, i guess you wonīt get an answer but still proof is proof!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I fixed also Tallstar with the new Octavia crotch. Now she looks perfect. Mattel should do something similar for upcomming girls or like a lot says: USE MARLENAS LEOTARD SIZE.
    I cant understand why they done the same mistake for Glimmer like Adora got No one cares the joints looking a little, the male guys have this to and it is ok to see the joints.

2013-09-24 22.55.07.jpg
    2013-09-28 20.22.52.jpg

Was part of the issue that you could see the balls of the socket on the inside, thigh, though?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Was part of the issue that you could see the balls of the socket on the inside, thigh, though?
    No Tallstars legs were wrong attached with a to long crotch piece. She has no ball joints on her legs. I took a second Octavia with a shorter crotch piece and gave it to Tallstar. Now her legs are higher attached and her pants is shorter cause it goes more around/under the crotch piece. Wish Glimmer would look like that.

This was Tallstar before I fixed her:

Attached Images Attached Images

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I dont mind Glimmer having a skirt. Tallstar & Jewlstar on the other hand.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    I fixed also Tallstar with the new Octavia crotch. Now she looks perfect. Mattel should do something similar for upcomming girls or like a lot says: USE MARLENAS LEOTARD SIZE.
    I cant understand why they done the same mistake for Glimmer like Adora got No one cares the joints looking a little, the male guys have this to and it is ok to see the joints.

2013-09-24 22.55.07.jpg
    2013-09-28 20.22.52.jpg

This is great. It goes to show you that they can do these things if they use pieces they already have. You should obviously apply for a design job at Mattel. No, wait, I think this makes you over-qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    This is great. It goes to show you that they can do these things if they use pieces they already have. You should obviously apply for a design job at Mattel. No, wait, I think this makes you over-qualified.
    I think that's what makes me so upset about this issue. It seems like such an easy fix. We already proved that it can be done. It just comes across as if they don't care or think it's a big enough issue to look into. Again, at this point there aren't too many girls left that have the leotard look. Scorpia, Angella, and Mara/Crita depending what look they go for. It would be cool if they could fix the problem and release a pack of corrected brief bottoms for the girls already released. This would fix Adora, Glimmer, Shokoti, Octavia, Tallstar, and Jewelstar.

I'm really surprised that they didn't release Glen's leotard in Adora's color scheme in a weapons pack. This would have been an easy way to fix Adora.

While I do think Glimmer's crotch piece could look better than how it was shown at Power Con, but in no way do I think it looks as horrible as people are making it out be. I think it looks fine as is. If they can improve it for future figures then great, but I can also live with how it currently looks.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    While I do think Glimmer's crotch piece could look better than how it was shown at Power Con, but in no way do I think it looks as horrible as people are making it out be. I think it looks fine as is. If they can improve it for future figures then great, but I can also live with how it currently looks.
    If Glimmers leotard would be the first looking like that i would agree with you but that is the seventh figure with "pants" and six of them simply didīt look as their prototypes did.
    The second figure -Captain Glenn- looked good and than the "improvements" got worse and weirder looking. So donīt get me wrong itīs time they solve that problem and simply manage to make it look like the prototype versions. Thatīs all we ask for and i think we donīt ask for to much.
    Last edited by Niki; September 29, 2013 at 04:15pm.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

The crotch piece is distracting people from the problems that developed with her face between the prototype and the production figure. Even with the skirt, she would have been a must purchase with her prototype face and paint job. Now, I have zero interest.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post

2013-09-24 22.55.07.jpg
    2013-09-28 20.22.52.jpg
    How exactly did you do this, may I ask?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Okay….

I looked at the TOYARK.COM pictures and there is one picture of Glimmer where her leotard almost looks like her prototype and i thought: Maybe we were to harsh! The final figure looks great!

BUT than i looked closer and her leotard is simply cut to make it look better you can see the edges are not smooth! Itīs a hand cut custom they are showing there:

and to proof this here is a picture of her in her blister card where it clearly shows those two look different:

And no thatīs no conspiracy, these are facts.

Iīm stunned. I donīt know what to say besides this canīt be true. But it is and those pictures proof it.

Plus it shows who ever cut her leotard knows how to fix it and it seems quite simply.
    Last edited by Niki; October 10, 2013 at 07:39pm.

But doesn't the ostensibly hand-cut custom job indicate that this is more than likely what we'll see come production time? Otherwise what they're showing- especially since it's no longer the "unarticulated paint master"- is essentially false advertising.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    But doesn't the ostensibly hand-cut custom job indicate that this is more than likely what we'll see come production time? Otherwise what they're showing- especially since it's no longer the "unarticulated paint master"- is essentially false advertising.
    Can't believe that they actually stooped this low. Nice catch Niki. I thought something looked different about Glimmer. They had someone do this thinking that we were stupid enough not to catch it. To fool us into thinking she was looking good and we were complaining for nothing. Probably thought it would take some of the heat off of them at the con. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Incredible new low for Mattel.

I hope that somebody posts a skirt trimming tutorial. I've never been moved before to alter any of my classics...I left the forearms as they were on Stinkor and didn't repaint Frosta, etc. But this is something I want to fix for my collection.

Before we heat the tar and pluck the feathers, it's POSSIBLE that it's just an early carded sample and the one in the case is more indicative of the final figure. Carded does not equal production figure. Not necessarily. I don't know HOW possible it is, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Can't believe that they actually stooped this low. Nice catch Niki. I thought something looked different about Glimmer. They had someone do this thinking that we were stupid enough not to catch it. To fool us into thinking she was looking good and we were complaining for nothing. Probably thought it would take some of the heat off of them at the con. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Incredible new low for Mattel.
    I graduated in designing women clothing's. I learned how to make patterns and to see if something is off even if itīs only little bit.

When i saw that picture i really thought maybe i was wrong and the design team is doing the best they can. Who ever cut this figures outfit did his or her best and is good so maybe they should hire that person.

And donīt get me started with Scorpia. The design didnīt even try to stick to the original they made it wider and longer…longer okay…but why wider? To make it even bigger and more obvious that they canīt translate the proto…no paint master in to an articulated good looking figure? And donīt argue with itīs a money issue, smaller piece means less plastic means less they have to spent….!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Before we heat the tar and pluck the feathers, it's POSSIBLE that it's just an early carded sample and the one in the case is more indicative of the final figure. Carded does not equal production figure. Not necessarily. I don't know HOW possible it is, but it is.
    I have a feeling this will be the explanation too, Jon. Hopefully Pixel Dan (if he's at NYCC) will put this question to Scott during his usual walk-thru of the figures in the case at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    I cannot believe that with Mattel being as litigious minded as they are would resort to cutting the skirt on their case sample simply to avoid a little heated fan feedback. It would be the most open and shut case of false advertising ever and certainly a huge risk for them to take. I prefer Jon's more optimistic point of view. Let's just hope he's right and that this is all easily explained, like Hydron's missing backpack from Power Con turned out to be.
    Last edited by Stygian360; October 10, 2013 at 08:23pm.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Nice eye for detail, Niki!

That smacks of all sorts of strange, especially when the 'finished' carded figure has the longer belted shirt dress. Very strange indeed.

And thanks to your pictures, I now see what Scorpia looks like. Seriously? They couldn't design it to be a small triangular cut-out that outlines the pelvic area? They did that? Thank goodness it's a much easier fix than the other girls, just a little trimming. But still... .
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!