Thread: Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

Hybrid View

Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

So we just finished watching Apollo 13, and as always, I get a little tear in my eye at the very end when, after 4 minutes, the pod finally appears in the sky and Hanks and his guys announce that they've made it home safely. Every time, that scene gets me.

Probably the worst (or best?) moment ever was from Backdraft. As a proud, older brother myself who went through his own share of problems growing up with his younger brother, the end of this movie always gets me. When Kurt Russel is laying on the catwalk, mortal wound crippling him with agony, he has the strength to proudely point out to his rescuers that his brother is below fighting the fire to get them out alive. "That's my brother, god ******..." he utters.

Every time I hear that line, WHAM, I'm done.

In Serenity, seeing River heartbroken as her seemingly mortally wounded brother apologizes for not doing better by her always gets me.

And for television, in Supernatural, when Sam find his dead father in the hospital room after giving his soul for his other son's life...that's just heartbreaking.

So what about you all?
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Evil Master of Warcraft
    The end of Armageddon. Everything from Harry Stamper taking one for the team, and after they land. Especially when Chip's son runs up to him, and Willie Sharp salutes Grace and ask for permission to shake the hand of the bravest man he has ever met.

The end of the Fox and the Hound movie.

When Charlotte dies in the end of the original Charlottes Web movie.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Field Of Dreams

"Hey Dad..you wanna have a catch?"

Get's me everytime.

The Green Mile. I've seen the movie three or four times, and always get misty eyed. Same with the books, which I've read twice.

Also, the series finale of some television shows. I remember years ago when (get ready to laugh) Full House went off the air, I got a tear in my eye. Even more recently, when Friends did their finale, I cried. A lot. I guess it was the visual of all their keys left on the table.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I completely agree with everything that's been said here. Field of Dreams, especially.

Speaking of tv finales, the final scene from Star Trek: TNG, when Picard comes to play cards with his people at the very end, it always gets me. it's such a perfectly nice, warm, homey kind of scene that says so much about what it means to be a family. I was moved by it when I was little, and I still love it just as much to this day.

Another one that really nails me is the end of Big Fish, when the son is telling his father the most wonderful, joyous story about running away from the hospital and to the river, to find every person he ever loved there. And just as I'm recovering from that, the funeral scene actually has all of his friends from the past, happily sharing stories together. It's the 1-2 punch for me.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for these movie and television moments that capture pure joy and warmth so well, especially the bittersweet ones.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

In Rocky II when Rocky wins and he's giving his speech and say's:
    "Except for my kid bein' born, this is the greatest night in the history of my life. I just wanna say one thing to my wife who's home: YO, ADRIAN! I DID IT!
    I've seen the movie over a dozen times and I still chocked up every time.

In the movie Pride of the Yankees, Gary Cooper plays Lou Gehrig and when he gives his "Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the Earth" line. I'm done.

Those are the only ones I will admit (in public)
    ----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

Jock of the Bushveld. A true South African story about a wagon driver during South Africas gold rush. He saves a runt puppy from being drowned in a bucket and the loyalty of the dog to his master is nothing short of incredible. The obstacles he overcomes and the love between them is amazing. During the course of the film he goes deaf when a buck throws him, that is very heartbreaking as you watch his owner playing with him while he's crying over his dogs condition.

In the end Jock gets shot by accident while defending a chicken coop from wild dogs. The second movie version ended before that happened, but the first movie had it and reading it in the book is incredibly painful. Great movies, but I basically cry like a little girl from beginning to end for both versions.

Also I get choked up during Band of Brothers every time I watch it. Especially when they find the death camp and at the very end too.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Orakk View Post
    Field Of Dreams

"Hey Dad..you wanna have a catch?"

Get's me everytime.
    Wow, yes absolutely this! Love that movie. Timeless!

Also,

The end of Schindler's List when Schindler is is asking himself how many more he could have saved with his ring.

Multiple scenes in Saving Private Ryan. The one with the Medic dying (Giovani Ribisi) tore me up, then Hanks started to lose it.

Honorable mention:

The first time I saw Iron Giant, the end when he says "Su-per-man" choked me up.

The end of Shawshank Redemption left a lump in my throat because I didn't want to say goodbye to those characters. Beautiful ending though.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; February 16, 2013 at 04:18am.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Right outside your window - MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Someone earlier mentioned the scene in The Return of The King when Sam picks up Frodo.

"I may not be able to carry the ring, but I can carry YOU!"

Waterworks in the theater when that happened. Another moment that got me from LOTR was the end of The Fellowship of the Ring, when Frodo takes off in the canoe, and Sam wades in after him even though he can't swim and keeps coming to the point of near drowning when Frodo finally reaches down and pulls him into the boat.

Greatest bromance of all time!

Also, I always get choked up at the end of the animated How The Grinch Stole Christmas when the whos in Whoville join hands and sing even though they've been robbed blind.

And that Futurama scene with Fry's dog!!! That was the last episode of Futurama I ever watched. I was traumatized. There was something so tragic about Fry letting his dog go because he probably lived a long happy life after he disappeared, then they flashback to the dog desperately trying to save Fry and then sitting outside the pizza place every day... I can't even continue. I'm gonna start crying at work. Dang it, Matt Groening. I CAN'T UNSEE THAT!!!

Needless to say, that affected me.
    Always remember: Pillage BEFORE you burn!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    "THe Incredibles" Pixar moment (that moment in any Pixar film that sums up the character and the story in one short line or scene), where Mr. Incredible tells his wife to stay behind and then as she argues, says he isn't strong enough. She keeps pushing him, thinking its a macho thing, and then he blurts out, "I can't lose you again!!!! I'm not...strong enough." That was a powerful moment in one of the best super-hero movies ever made.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Towards the end of "Serenity" when River's brother gets injured and needs the medical bag that got left in the room where all the Reavers are and she says "You take care of me...you always take care of me." and then stands up and says "My turn." before she runs into the room and tosses out the bag before the doors seal her inside.

Cripes, I got choked up just from proofreading that!

Quote Originally Posted by IcomeWITH2heads View Post
    The end of Six Feet Under, Particularly when David sees Keith and then falls over, dead.
    GOOD ONE. I didn't watch that show THAT much, but yeah, when David sees Keith--that was genius.

Also, as others have said, the last line of "Field Of Dreams"

How has no one mentioned this one yet? Braveheart: FREEEEEEEEEDOOOOOM!

End of Batman Begins when Gordon says "Ya know, I never thanked you." and Batman turns around and says "And you'll never have to."

And I'm ashamed this wasn't the first one that came to my mind since it's from my favorite movie of all time: He-Man & She-Ra: The Secret Of The Sword. Right when The Sorceress tells Adora of her true identity and she sees He-Man completely drained of his power and she cries out "MY BROTHER!" before holding her Sword aloft for the first time.

Also from the He-Man episode "Into The Abyss" when Adam transforms to rescue Teela and it shows all of THE POWER falling down into it and then BLASTING up from the center of Eternia to turn him into He-Man.

As for TV, The West Wing! I could probably list a moment from every other freaking episode (well, at least from the first 4 Sorkin years, but also certainly a few from the last 3 seasons).
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; April 15, 2010 at 01:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Just saw one that really got me

The Blind Side: I really liked the whole movie, but the scene where Michael and S.J. are in the car wreck really got to me. We see that everything happened so fast. Then when Leigh Ann comes to the scene after being informed of the wreck, and we find out that S.J. could have been seriously injured or killed by the air bag... but he wasn't.

Then we see that Michael, who previously seemed to be unhurt, has a huge wound on his arm. He just looks at Leigh Ann, tears filling his eyes, and says "I stopped it." And he did it just that fast.

The real Michael Oher must be an amazing person. That's all I've got to say.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Reading a few of these reminds me of a couple more. In Superman Returns when Superman says to his son what Jor El had said to him. The "You will be different....The father becomes the son" speech.

I love the ending of The Last of the Mohicans (my favorite classic american novel) with Daniel Day Lewis. Very poweful.

I agree with the Titanic going down and the band playing Nearer My God to Thee.

This might be an odd one, but in Jaws when Quint is telling about being on the Indianapolis when it was hit by the torpedos.

On a side note with Rocky and running up the stairs...I was working in Philly a few years ago and we had some extra time so I stopped by the art museum to run up the stairs. I gave my coworker the phone to record me running up boots and all. After I made it up there and reviewed the video, I noticed he had his finger in front of the lens and I had to do it again.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    When She-Ra finds out that she's He-Man's sister.

Death of Optimus Prime.

"The next Doctor" where the Doctor shows all of the former
    Doctors to Mr. Lake.

The last imagination scene in the final episode of Scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    The last imagination scene in the final episode of Scrubs.
    Which final episode? Scrubs has had like 4 series finales.

The scene that gets me every time

No..... my brother.....For the Honor of Grayskull!!!
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!