Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

So we just finished watching Apollo 13, and as always, I get a little tear in my eye at the very end when, after 4 minutes, the pod finally appears in the sky and Hanks and his guys announce that they've made it home safely. Every time, that scene gets me.

Probably the worst (or best?) moment ever was from Backdraft. As a proud, older brother myself who went through his own share of problems growing up with his younger brother, the end of this movie always gets me. When Kurt Russel is laying on the catwalk, mortal wound crippling him with agony, he has the strength to proudely point out to his rescuers that his brother is below fighting the fire to get them out alive. "That's my brother, god ******..." he utters.

Every time I hear that line, WHAM, I'm done.

In Serenity, seeing River heartbroken as her seemingly mortally wounded brother apologizes for not doing better by her always gets me.

And for television, in Supernatural, when Sam find his dead father in the hospital room after giving his soul for his other son's life...that's just heartbreaking.

So what about you all?
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Evil Master of Warcraft
    The end of Armageddon. Everything from Harry Stamper taking one for the team, and after they land. Especially when Chip's son runs up to him, and Willie Sharp salutes Grace and ask for permission to shake the hand of the bravest man he has ever met.

The end of the Fox and the Hound movie.

When Charlotte dies in the end of the original Charlottes Web movie.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Field Of Dreams

"Hey Dad..you wanna have a catch?"

Get's me everytime.

The Green Mile. I've seen the movie three or four times, and always get misty eyed. Same with the books, which I've read twice.

Also, the series finale of some television shows. I remember years ago when (get ready to laugh) Full House went off the air, I got a tear in my eye. Even more recently, when Friends did their finale, I cried. A lot. I guess it was the visual of all their keys left on the table.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I completely agree with everything that's been said here. Field of Dreams, especially.

Speaking of tv finales, the final scene from Star Trek: TNG, when Picard comes to play cards with his people at the very end, it always gets me. it's such a perfectly nice, warm, homey kind of scene that says so much about what it means to be a family. I was moved by it when I was little, and I still love it just as much to this day.

Another one that really nails me is the end of Big Fish, when the son is telling his father the most wonderful, joyous story about running away from the hospital and to the river, to find every person he ever loved there. And just as I'm recovering from that, the funeral scene actually has all of his friends from the past, happily sharing stories together. It's the 1-2 punch for me.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for these movie and television moments that capture pure joy and warmth so well, especially the bittersweet ones.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

In Rocky II when Rocky wins and he's giving his speech and say's:
    "Except for my kid bein' born, this is the greatest night in the history of my life. I just wanna say one thing to my wife who's home: YO, ADRIAN! I DID IT!
    I've seen the movie over a dozen times and I still chocked up every time.

In the movie Pride of the Yankees, Gary Cooper plays Lou Gehrig and when he gives his "Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the Earth" line. I'm done.

Those are the only ones I will admit (in public)
    ----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

Jock of the Bushveld. A true South African story about a wagon driver during South Africas gold rush. He saves a runt puppy from being drowned in a bucket and the loyalty of the dog to his master is nothing short of incredible. The obstacles he overcomes and the love between them is amazing. During the course of the film he goes deaf when a buck throws him, that is very heartbreaking as you watch his owner playing with him while he's crying over his dogs condition.

In the end Jock gets shot by accident while defending a chicken coop from wild dogs. The second movie version ended before that happened, but the first movie had it and reading it in the book is incredibly painful. Great movies, but I basically cry like a little girl from beginning to end for both versions.

Also I get choked up during Band of Brothers every time I watch it. Especially when they find the death camp and at the very end too.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    • The death of Optimus Prime
    • The birth of Rodimus Prime and the destruction of Unicron. I still get the chills when I hear Optimus say "Arise... Rodimus Prime."
    • Optimus Prime opens the Matrix and cures Earth of the spore plague.
    • Neo truly realizes he is the one and he sees the world in computer coding.
    • When adult Simba roars, standing atop Pride Rock. His roar says to the world, "I have arrived."
    • Disney's Hercules regains his godhood when he saves Meg.
    • Connor MacLeod beats Kurgan and absorbs his quickening.
    • Apollo Creed's astonishment when he sees Rocky on his feet.
    • "Yo Adrian, I did it!"
    • The incredible car chase in downtown Atlanta in the 2005 Dukes of Hazzard movie.
    • When the Sorceress reveals that He-Man is Adora's twin brother.
    • When Adora becomes She-Ra for the first time.
    • She-Ra decides she's NOT returning to Eternia.
    • When Ralph Hinkley makes his first flight in The Greatest American Hero.
    • Baby Kal-El lifts the Kents' truck.
    • We look through the eyehole of Jor-El's crystal mask and see Clark in his Superman costume for the first time...and he flies for the first time.
    • Superman rescues Lois and the copter.
    • The powerless Clark holding the green crystal in the Fortress of Solitude.
    • Superman's battle with the Phantom Zone Villains.
    • The "powerless" Superman crushes Zod's hand.
    • Clark defeats the evil Superman, stands up, pulls open his shirt revealing his own "S".
    • When Michael Keaton says he's Batman in the 1989 film.
    • When Christian Bale says "Swear to me!" along with "Do I look like a cop?"
    • When the Joker frees Two-Face's hands and says, "Introduce a little anarchy." Two-Face holds up his coin and responds, "You live... you die." The Joker's response? "Now you're talking!"
    • Darth Maul's battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.
    • Yoda's battle with Dooku.
    • Anakin defeats Dooku.
    • Anakin Skywalker's injuries on Mustafar.
    • "You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"
    • Anakin being encased in Vader's armor.
    • Darth Vader uses the Force to choke that Death Star officer.
    • Luke activates his father's lightsaber for the first time.
    • Luke decides to join Ben Kenobi on his trip to Alderaan.
    • Luke blows up the Death Star
    • Luke defeats that Vader apparition in the tree and when Vader's mask disappears, he sees his own face.
    • Yoda uses the Force to levatate Luke's X-Wing fighter out of the swamp.
    • Han Solo is frozen.
    • Luke's lightsaber battle with Vader in Cloud City.
    • "No, Luke, I am your father."
    • Luke fighting with Jabba's guards, armed with his new green lightsaber and wielding the Force with far greater skill.
    • "Your father he is".
    • Luke defeats Vader.
    • Vader drops the Emperor down that shaft.
    • Vader unmasked.
    • Lando & Co. blow up the Death Star.
    • Seeing the ghosts of Yoda, Ben and Anakin Skywalker.
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Lilo and Stitch - Stich goes into a clearing in the woods and says "I'm lost"

Lilo and Stitch (again) - Stitch has finally been caught by the alien council and is being led away. The Grand Councilwoman notices Lilo and Nani and asks who they are to which Stitch replies

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Definitely adol. That was a brutal one.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

so pretty much every scene in Star Wars history eh Mr Roboto?

Well there are lots of that kind of scenes in my all time favorite TV-show Babylon 5. Outside show just mentioned, adol's example is definitely one of those scenes that gets me everytime.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

The end of Rudy. Goosebumps. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    Well there are lots of that kind of scenes in my all time favorite TV-show Babylon 5. Outside show just mentioned, adol's example is definitely one of those scenes that gets me everytime.

- Joni -

It's okay, because in the movie, he went back and saved him. More or less.
    and keep moving forward.

Anything with dogs. Old Yellar kills me. Anything where a dog goes above and beyond to save it's master or even a stranger. I'm pouring tears. My wife gets mad at me because I never cry over anything, but let a dog save someone or give it's life... I can barely stand to watch the animal shelter commercials. There are other tales of animals doing feats that also get me but especially dogs.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    • Darth Maul's battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.
    • Yoda's battle with Dooku.
    • Anakin defeats Dooku.
    • Anakin Skywalker's injuries on Mustafar.
    • "You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"
    • Anakin being encased in Vader's armor.
    • Darth Vader uses the Force to choke that Death Star officer.
    • Luke activates his father's lightsaber for the first time.
    • Luke decides to join Ben Kenobi on his trip to Alderaan.
    • Luke blows up the Death Star
    • Luke defeats that Vader apparition in the tree and when Vader's mask disappears, he sees his own face.
    • Yoda uses the Force to levatate Luke's X-Wing fighter out of the swamp.
    • Han Solo is frozen.
    • Luke's lightsaber battle with Vader in Cloud City.
    • "No, Luke, I am your father."
    • Luke fighting with Jabba's guards, armed with his new green lightsaber and wielding the Force with far greater skill.
    • "Your father he is".
    • Luke defeats Vader.
    • Vader drops the Emperor down that shaft.
    • Vader unmasked.
    • Lando & Co. blow up the Death Star.
    • Seeing the ghosts of Yoda, Ben and Anakin Skywalker.
    Yeah, those would be mine too!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    Futurama video
    Ya know, I was hard pressed to find anything until you posted that. Yeah, that really does get me every time! It's one of those things where those S.O.B.s really knew how to at least get your eyes misty.

The only other thing I can think of is the part in I Am Legend where he holds his dog as it succumbs to the virus and ends up having to choke it to death.

I dunno what it is, but the animal stuff always gets me.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Yeah, those would be mine too!

Take care...

Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    so pretty much every scene in Star Wars history eh Mr Roboto?
    Looks like it!

I forgot to add when Kirk officially became captain of the Enterprise in Star Trek(2009).

I recently watched Trek and I am aware of somebody saying something along the lines of "putting Star Wars into Star Trek". As I watched the movie, I realized that Chris Pine's Kirk, like Luke Skywalker, started off as a nobody farm kid and became a hero.
    Last edited by Mr. Roboto; April 14, 2010 at 12:30pm.
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I agree with many already mentioned. There is one more that always gets me:

From The Two Towers, the scene where Faramir's men beat the living snot out of Smeagol, causing him to once again enter his Gollum persona, just after he had such an amusing scene where he catches the fish and beats it on a rock. He was happy as Smeagol, he had friends (of a sort), he almost got free of the Ring, but after this scene he goes back to being the greedy, scheming being he was before.

And one from The Return of the King:

Sam: "I can't carry it for you, Mr. Frodo... but I can carry you!"
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

The scene in Powder where he ___________ of the __________. And the end.

I'm going to avoid spoilers, just in case someone has yet to see this movie.

See it.

I might come back to this tread later and update my post but for now:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Body - when Buffy find's Joyce's dead body on the couch and tries to save her, breaking her ribs in the process and when she starts to throw up and is cleaning it up as she cries. Still heartbreaking.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    A Clockwork Orange: At the end when Alex (no relation to our Alexx) is looking crazy with ecstasy as he is with the conservative Prime Minister and goes off into his thoughts of exhibitionist carnal pleasures in slow motion and his voice over haltingly states, "I was cured alright." Simply cool.

Taxi Driver: At the end of the picture when Travis Bickle is dropping off Cybil Shepard's character at her apartment and she is implying acceptance of Travis back into her life, he just drives off. That was awesome. He was still the same man she had rejected earlier only now he was a socially recognized "hero". He wanted nothing to do with that type of shallow person. She is nothing but a shrinking object in his rear view mirror. An excellent scene.

The Elephant Man: The scene where John Merrick is first introduced into his doctor's home and the doctor's wife greets John graciously. He tries to respond but he starts to cry. When the doctor ask what is wrong, John replies, "Never has a beautiful woman treated me so kindly."

Then later in the same scene when they are having tea on the couch John talks about being abandoned by his mother whose picture he has with him. The doctor's wife praises her beauty and John says, "She had the face of an angel. I must have been a great disappointment to her." The doctor's wife responds that no mother could be disappointed in a son as kind as John. John continues, "If she could only have loved me as I am. If she could see me now surrounded by such good friends. I've tried so hard to be good..." At which point the doctor's wife breaks down and starts crying uncontrollably at his pitifullness. John, "Oh please. Don't cry." A great emotive scene.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 14, 2010 at 01:55pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

the Dalek episode from the 2005 series of Doctor Who when it turns out all the Dalek wants is too feel the sun on its face but because it is a Dalek and shouldn't feel it asks Rose to order it to self terminate

fastforward to about 1.30 in

Not sure if this one counts but I have watched it 3 time already and still find it sad....Saturdays episode of Doctor Who in which the truth is revealed about Starship UK

One Piece - Chopper looks for a mushroom to cure his "father" and goes through a lot to find it, including getting attacked by his own herd which leads to

what makes it even sadder is when you discover what the mushroom actually does and why Chopper thought it would help
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 14, 2010 at 01:53pm.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post

And one from The Return of the King:

Sam: "I can't carry it for you, Mr. Frodo... but I can carry you!"
    Yes, absolutely, this. "Let us be rid of it!"

Others:

Titanic - I will admit this: the "Nearer My God To Thee" sequence, where we see the real human tragedy - Captain Smith, Mr. Andrews, the Strausses, the woman telling the story to the two children, the band, etc. That's the most touching part of the movie for me. (And I have to confess to really liking the very, very last shot/scene as well.)

1776 - this is one of my favorite films, and the big resolution (even though we know how it will turn out), when Dickinson is outmaneuvered and the resolution passes. "It's done".

Transformers (animated film): I remember being really freaked out seeing this for the first time when all the classic characters getting killed, especially (as I thought), my favorite, Jazz. So the scene on Unicron when Daniel finds and saves Jazz, his father, etc. still makes me feel good, remembering realizing that my favorite character had, in fact, survived.

It's a Wonderful Life: The whole last five minutes, basically.

Shawshank Redemption: Same as above.

Return of the Jedi: When Palpatine is electrocuting Luke, watching Vader look back and forth, and then (as the "Jedi" theme suddenly starts playing), turning on Palpatine and sending him packing. (I like to think that's the moment that 'Vader' reverts back to 'Anakin'.)

I'll post more if I think of them.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."